Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue (30406 Views)

Protest In Nnamdi Azikwe University Over Hike In School Fees (Photos) / Ekpo Iniobong Threatens To Sue Akwa Ibom University Over His Expulsion / Parents To Withdraw Children From Madonna University Over Students’ Detention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by Cmanforall: 4:15pm On Jun 07, 2019
No be by force. But you also need to understand the quest for higher education in the country.
Bar1941:
Na by force to establish University?

I don't know what our problem is in that part of the world, gone are the days when we had few but effective and well structured Universities, but now you can't even imagine the criteria NUC use to grant accredition to most of these so called new Universities. Some Secondary Schools are far better than many (structures wise). What respect will a student give to his/her lectures who s/he shares a washroom with?.
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by azimibraun: 4:17pm On Jun 07, 2019
Tompolo was gifted the N1.6bilion that was to fix infrastructure on the campus by GEJ and when Ameachi asked for the money, Tompolo created the Avengers to disrupt oil supply in Nigeria. Nigerians attacked PMB for fuel supply shortage. Tompolo is free, now w have supplies but no Infrastructure in the Maritime University. N1.6b gone.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by CodeTemplar: 4:17pm On Jun 07, 2019
HigherEd:
99% staff and students affected.

By Oko Ebuka

The Nigerian Maritime University, Okerenkoko, Delta State is in deep accommodation crisis as over 99 per cent of the school including lecturers and 1,400 students are affected.

A source close to the management revealed to Vanguard Maritime Report that the main campus at Okerekoko currently do not have any project going on there while the take-off campus at Kurute does not have what it takes to accommodate the students and staff of the institution. The source also reported that the female lecturers are sharing rooms with female students while the male lecturers are sleeping in their offices and the students don’t have any place to sleep and those who have money to rent private accommodation because there are none to rent.

“As I speak to you now lecturers are sleeping in their offices, in lecture halls female lecturers are sleeping in female hostels. The students don’t have accommodation apart from the first year, and there are no houses to rent in town even if you have your money, and the population keeps increasing” the source said. May Day: workers urge employers of labour to respect collective agreement The source calls on the present administration to find a lasting solution to the problem by signing the proposed bill into law in order to make provisions for the institution to provide accommodation for them.

“Attention of the federal government should be quickly drawn into it so that they will go and find a solution. Don’t also forget that the president refused to sign the bill into law. That is another problem because if that bill was signed into law, they will make provisions for and be able to reach out to those who will be able to provide the accommodation.”

“The project was started by Goodluck Jonathan’s administration and this present government has not added even a block to the little project done by the PDP government,” the source said. The source further disclosed that only year one student of the university have accommodation presently and expressed worry that the fresh intake of students later this year will further compound the problem, he concluded. Efforts to get the reaction of the Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof. (Mrs.) Maureen Ongoebi Etebu was unsuccessful as she neither picked her call nor responded to a text message sent to her on the issue. Related

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/06/accommodation-crisis-hit-nigerian-maritime-university/

And they will be laughing private individuals running schools.
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by Luvinghubby: 4:17pm On Jun 07, 2019
Rotimi Ameachi will be smiling now. Meanwhile the transport university in Daura will be highly funded.

Since the presidency don't want to sign the bill for funding of the University, let them Concession, Privatize or handover to the delta state government instead of allowing it rot away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by AreaFada2: 4:33pm On Jun 07, 2019
Na wa o.
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 07, 2019
tactius:
You know, when some of us were criticising GEJ and Buhari for establishing and approving new government universites, because they had not finished funding the existing ones...some people were calling us anti-progress.

In 2009, ASUU and FG agreed that N3 trillion should be paid to universities over 2 years as extra funding. Up till today, only N300bn if not less of that cash has been released.

Meanwhile, we expect universites to survive on fees of N50000 and below.

The thing is, if you want well funded universites, either you find N5 trillion yearly(my estimate) JUST FOR UNIVERSITIES (we have not started talking of primary, secondary, college of education, polytechnics, and monotechnics), increase fees to at least N200000 per semester....or we take another big loan.

We better wake up and stop establishing universities. Because universites chop money. I read somewhere that a university needs a budge tof $100million yearly to be viable. Do we have that money at all for just one university?

Honestly, we should close all government universites established since 2010....including that transport university in Daura and this Maritime University. Nigeria no get the money. Or we make all of them...old and new universites... public private...and raise fees into the bargain.

We don't need new universities. We need technical colleges where hands-on, marketable skills like building, carpentry, welding and agriculture will be taught to our youths so that they can go out there and earn money with their hands instead of carrying CV up and down, searching for white-collar jobs.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by olumalcolm(m): 4:51pm On Jun 07, 2019
Imagine me and Doctor Fatile in one room, chai i haff suffer sad i will just gv him sniper to drink cos dat man can forment trouble for Africa.
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by shamsin6300(m): 5:47pm On Jun 07, 2019
I wish some 1 can lend me #150million to build 100 of face me & face u house.
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by CaptainKodak(m): 5:56pm On Jun 07, 2019
...And NUC accredited this university
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 07, 2019
RedBlackPepper:
Unacceptable. Urgent attention needed
It good for Dem, this was the so called university fg bought the land from tompolo for 16billion naira.
The university wasn't made to be, they just force the school there. There's no road to that school school u can only go by boat. Everything about that school is wrong, even the name of the school is not okerenkoko.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by Quorax: 6:35pm On Jun 07, 2019
Bar1941:
Na by force to establish University?

I don't know what our problem is in that part of the world, gone are the days when we had few but effective and well structured Universities, but now you can't even imagine the criteria NUC use to grant accredition to most of these so called new Universities. Some Secondary Schools are far better than many (structures wise). What respect will a student give to his/her lectures who s/he shares a washroom with?.
says an APC apologist who does not wish the South well.
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by Kaydans(m): 7:00pm On Jun 07, 2019
Neimar:
Omo make I go apply for the school
make I bleep those married women aged 30-45yrs
doggystyle would be perfect

can't wait for their asses to bounce

NB: M bored

death is knocking on your door with your words..
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by mechanics(m): 5:14am On Jun 08, 2019
That's funny o, how will state government start a university without necessary infrastructures?
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by booksrite(f): 12:21am On Jun 29, 2019
Rotimi Ameachi will be smiling now. Meanwhile the transport university in Daura will be highly funded. Since the presidency don't want to sign the bill for funding of the University, let them Concession, Privatize or handover to the delta state government instead of allowing it rot away.

angry
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by izicooo(f): 12:56pm On Dec 31, 2019
Professor Maureen Etebu Ongoebi the vice chancellor of Nigeria Maritime University is a big thief. The billions of naira that FG has pumped into the school for infrastructural development can't be accounted for. How can you explain a sitting vice chancellor going to contest for gubernatorial election in Bayelsa state. EFCC, ICPC, CCB, we urge you to investigate properly the illegalities happening at the Nigeria Maritime University. Right now they is no single structure at the school's permanent site.
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by Santiagothesun: 1:33pm On Apr 27, 2020
Oh, I know this situation at the university, I once had a similar situation. As a result, in order not to suffer this during the delivery, I simply ordered online help at https://edubirdie.com/correct-my-essay and sent the material online. They are correct my essay and I got the maximum score, and rested with a calm soul
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by keepcalm1: 1:34pm On Apr 27, 2020
Santiagothesun:
Oh, I know this situation at the university, I once had a similar situation. As a result, in order not to suffer this during the delivery, I simply ordered online help at https://edubirdie.com/correct-my-essay and sent the material online. They are correct my essay and I got the maximum score, and rested with a calm soul
rofl
Re: Lecturers/Students Sharing Rooms At Maritime University Over Accommodation Issue by nkakp(m): 2:01pm On Apr 27, 2020
SURE FOUNDATION POLYTECHNIC Ikot Akai, Ukanafun L. G. A, Akwa Ibom state.

A private polytechnic with state of the art equipments,labs and classrooms.

2020/2021 Academic Session! Admission! Admission!! Admission!!!!

THE FOLLOWING COURSES BELOW ARE AVAILABLE:

- Accounting
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Public Administration
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Mass communication
- Business Administration
- Science Laboratory Technology
- Estate Management
- Quantity Surveying
- Office Technology
- Building Technology
- Architecture
- Agricultural Technology
- Land Surveying

Interested students should obtain application form from the admission's office or call the following number 0909-
921-3377

It is now your turn to have a qualitative polytechnic education!

Tuition Fees are Affordable with a standardized laboratories, workshop and well furnished & Secured hostels!!!!!

Get Registered.

visit our website, www.sfp.edu.ng

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don Davis: Deeper Life School Principal, Others Remanded In Prison / Lasu Law Student, Aminat Yusuf Graduates With 5.0, Breaking 40 Year Old Record / Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.