Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,030 members, 7,807,055 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355215 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 26, 2019
Moshkom:
so i heard, but i've been looking around my profile still can't find/see it. is there a particular place it's placed?

I dont know if WES has changed though, but just flip through the different sections
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 1:25pm On Jun 26, 2019
Shortcess:
Hey guys, my Visa was approved this morning at the Lagos consulate. Here is my transcript

VO:good morning
Me:good morning

VO: pass your i20 and passport
Me: *hands it over*

VO: do you have any relatives in the United States?
Me: yes, my sister

VO: where does she stay
Me: I mentioned the name of the state

VO: what does she do
Me: she's a student

VO: why did you choose to go to Mcneese
Me: Mcneese state university has an abundance of school spirit including various campus activities to choose from
I noticed she was shaking her head so I stopped talking

VO: you haven't answered my question
Me: the department of biology at Mcneese State University advances student knowledge through a wide range of opportunities to enter the work force or continue their education
She was still shaking her head, so I started shaking

VO: we know that, I need a specific reason
I got really scared so I started blabbing along the lines of "it has the technological and reseach facilities that will aid my learning"
She still continued to shake her head

VO: all schools in the United States do that, I haven't heard your reason for picking this school
Me: Mcneese gave me the highest scholarship which is why I chose to go there
Then, she nodded

VO: that is what I wanted to hear. So, who will be sponsoring your education
Me: my mom

Me: she's an accountant that works with XYZ company

VO: can I see her bank statement
Me: sure
This is where my heart was beating frantically because the money there wasn't up to the estimation of my fees but that was the best my mom could do

VO: does she have other bank accounts
Me: yes, she does

Vo: she just smiled and said "come and pick your Visa in 3 days time"
I was literally crying on the spot. I couldn't stop saying "thank you ma" because everyone who went before was denied but I didn't lose hope
So, all in all, thank you guys. This thread has been nothing but helpful to me and I hope others will benefit from this thread

I connected with your transcript and I couldn't be more happy for you my friend grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2019
Erhuns67:
School : Idaho State University
Course : Master in Mechanical Engineering
Date of interview: 26th June, 2019.
Lagos consulate :Visa Approved.
Scholarship: 65% waiver of tuition($16292)
GRE:311
I will encourage those with good Gre score and GPA to apply to this school cause Non-Resident Tuition Waiver is guaranteed.

When I am less busy, i will update my transcript.

thanks @sharwama for transcript review.
We rise by lifting others. Congratulations to you my friend grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 1:28pm On Jun 26, 2019
Shortcess:
Hey guys, my Visa was approved this morning at the Lagos consulate. Here is my transcript

Me: Mcneese state university has an abundance of school spirit including various campus activities to choose from

Me: the department of biology at Mcneese State University advances student knowledge through a wide range of opportunities to enter the work force or continue their education

I got really scared so I started blabbing along the lines of "it has the technological and reseach facilities that will aid my learning"

VO: all schools in the United States do that, I haven't heard your reason for picking this school
Then, she nodded

This is where my heart was beating frantically because the money there wasn't up to the estimation of my fees but that was the best my mom could do

I was literally crying on the spot. I couldn't stop saying "thank you ma" because everyone who went before was denied but I didn't lose hope
So, all in all, thank you guys. This thread has been nothing but helpful to me and I hope others will benefit from this thread

Congratulations......bsc?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 1:29pm On Jun 26, 2019
segunbolawole:
My brother, should I send you a mail so u can put me thru, I no lazy o... But let me just say... If your course isn't STEM and funding is high, or course can be done online.... go ahead Sha..
Like you rightly said...

Please help me cheesy grin cry.
Hate to break it to you but......I don't know anything about graduate studies
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2019
Yet thou continuest to air my humble request , why hast thou decideth to Suffereth me
sharwama:

We rise by lifting others. Congratulations to you my friend grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 26, 2019
sharwama:

We rise by lifting others.

just like the yeast in the puff-puff right. grin grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Moshkom(m): 1:34pm On Jun 26, 2019
nelem:

I dont know if WES has changed though, but just flip through the different sections

maybe because seriously i'm even lost on my profile sef cry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by clapper04: 1:39pm On Jun 26, 2019
Moshkom:
hello guys, pls at what point during WES evalution (WES.ORG) will i get to see/have a REFRENCE NO? I just signed up.

thanks for the incoming replies.

you get your reference number after paying the evaluation fee.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Moshkom(m): 1:44pm On Jun 26, 2019
clapper04:

you get your reference number after paying the evaluation fee.

Really? Thanks for this
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 2:15pm On Jun 26, 2019
Can I send you an email, or add you up on whatsapp,

I didn't take GRE, (just structured a study plan for it on my way back from embassy cry)
3.92/5.0 Bach Agric Economics (about 3.42/4.0 on unofficial WES evaluation)
5 Yrs Working in Sales and Marketing
Graduated 2011
Johnolukolade:

Did you take GRE? What's your profile like? What course? We can start from there.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnolukolade(m): 2:17pm On Jun 26, 2019
segunbolawole:
Can I send you an email, or add you up on whatsapp,

I didn't take GRE, (just structured a study plan for it on my way back from embassy cry)
3.92/5.0 Bach Agric Economics (about 3.42/4.0 on unofficial WES evaluation)
5 Yrs Working in Sales and Marketing
Graduated 2011

You have the GPA. Yes, send a mail.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 2:17pm On Jun 26, 2019
Oh... OK... Thanks for your response... I've gotten enough break today tho.. V. O WAS SMILING AS HE WAS GIVING ME PINK PAPER... Was he OK?
Davidkking:

Hate to break it to you but......I don't know anything about graduate studies

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2019
I just did,

Thank you

Johnolukolade:

You have the GPA. Yes, send a mail.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2019
I was about to say... U ignoring the flow chart man that has been denied... And then I saw this... Thanks... Person wey I get quanta with.. I Don face am... OK, just as @john advised.. I will take the test, but then while I wait for that is there anything else I can do simultaneously on this matter of funding? From your own end
sharwama:

I am really sorry about your denial, my heart goes out to you. I will advise you to take a couple of days/weeks off and cool off.
Then we can restrategize and target fall 2020. You would have to deeply reflect on your choice of course, if you want to proceed with that, you would have to sit for standardised tests if you haven't, and then we can target great schools that are generous with funding for your intended course.
Forgive yourself for your past mistakes, it wasn't your fault. You are wiser now, you know better now, you can right this wrong, you will rise from the ashes.
For now, just breathe my friend and breathe some more.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 2:25pm On Jun 26, 2019
Stuff that I know didn't land me Visa o grin (just laughing to ease my pain)
Thanks for your review, really appreciate...

So, now.. I want to be born again into this forum..

I would need every help from all angles...

Funding Funding Funding

God bless you, @john @ shawarma @ lagosismyhome and others on this forum...

AgreatMan:

Obviously, I cannot say you don't know your stuff but your responses are really choking on the throat (so to speak). Your sentences are just too long n making it difficult to digest or comprehend.

As Gloryemo has rightly opined, cut down the thing and honestly you know your stuff more than anyone n are in a better position to make the cuts.

I will suggest that you LIST your points instead of long sentences. Make short lists instead. Just my thoughts.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mslynxx: 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2019
Thanks so much . I appreciate, You just saved me money.
Johnolukolade:

Yes. You can send it for free as fax. Pay for the evaluation, get your reference number and you're good to go.

The reference number is very important, if you send anything without it, it's a waste of money and time.

Best!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 2:33pm On Jun 26, 2019
Congratulations Erhuns67 Shortcess Nehemiah77
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by t4thayour: 2:37pm On Jun 26, 2019
J
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CptCharlesVane: 2:38pm On Jun 26, 2019
Your GPA is good. I'd advise you take some time and reflect on the program you'd like to do in the US, either related to your work experience or your bachelor's and evaluate which gives you a better chance of being fully funded.

While you're at it, go through this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/200

Start from 200, keep reading in your spare time. Read everything. You'll certainly find some life/career-changing stuff and strategies to help you secure funded admission offers for fall 2020 and you and your uncle godmother will be proud to not have spent that $25k this year. wink Keep your head up, the VO helped you with some extra motivation cool

Good luck and let the force be with you grin
segunbolawole:
I was about to say... U ignoring the flow chart man that has been denied... And then I saw this... Thanks... Person wey I get quanta with.. I Don face am... OK, just as @john advised.. I will take the test, but then while I wait for that is there anything else I can do simultaneously on this matter of funding? From your own end

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 2:44pm On Jun 26, 2019
nelem:

just like the yeast in the puff-puff right. grin grin

I understand you were trying to make a joke, I get it, believe me I do. However it's a lot deeper than that.
Success is sweeter when we achieve it together. When I win and you win, it becomes a double victory and the thrill is stronger. I'd rather be in a room where a thousand winners are smiling than a room with just one happy winner.
This visa thread has taught me that it's a lot easier to receive than to give, but in order to really grow, we must give and give till giving is no longer asked of us. We could give love, compassion, counsel, soothing words, time, attention and other tangible things. When we help others, we have nothing to lose and so much more to gain.
Yes, we rise by lifting others, no it is not like yeast in puff puff, our ascension is more meaningful and glorious than that.
Thank you for coming to my TEDx talk.
*Drops mic

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 2:56pm On Jun 26, 2019
Thanks Brov, Honestly I tot I would go into depression when I got a deny... Instead I feel rekindled.. Thanks. A lot to this thread, I will definitely go thru the link you shared.
I think my course will get funding more than pursuing masters related to my work experience.

BTW.. What do you alll think about MS Business Analytics

co
CptCharlesVane:
Your GPA is good. I'd advise you take some time and reflect on the program you'd like to do in the US, either related to your work experience or your bachelor's and evaluate which gives you a better chance of being fully funded.

While you're at it, go through this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/200

Start from 200, keep reading in your spare time. Read everything. You'll certainly find some life/career-changing stuff and strategies to help you secure funded admission offers for fall 2020 and you and your uncle godmother will be proud to not have spent that $25k this year. wink Keep your head up, the VO helped you with some extra motivation cool

Good luck and let the force be with you grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CptCharlesVane: 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2019
@segunbolawole
Securing fellowships (funding) is process and not for the faintest of hearts. You've got to be dogged and resilient and also be ready to put some money toward your efforts as well (not by paying agents o). When it ends in praise, nobody cares about the struggle.

This should help:

First thing first, get mentally and physically prepared for the process because it is not cheap and requires a great deal of effort. Applications cost money, even more is the entire process. It would also be in good stead to evaluate your chances of getting a US visa for study if your program isn't going to be funded.

Let's get with it:

1. It's never too early to begin preparations. Start several months before the start of an application cycle.
- Take standardised tests very early as many people
do not achieve reasonable scores on first attempt.
- Contact your referees about your intention for their
support
- Process your transcript evaluations, if necessary,
asap. *Perhaps the most tedious, and expensive
process of it all.

2. Look up programs and universities of interest. My people say: 'who stop ask question no dey miss road.'
- Contact the graduate program administrator and
be upfront with your credentials asking whether
your profile is competitive for funding for
international applicants. It may be on the website,
but still cool *you'd likely get insider info about
retaking standardised tests or not
- Proceed to contact researchers of interest, before
paying that application fee and sending in your
application.

3. The more the number of strategic applications, the higher the chances of an admission with perks.

Bon Chance !

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 3:05pm On Jun 26, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
@segunbolawole
Securing fellowships (funding) is process and not for the faintest of hearts. You've got to be dogged and resilient and also be ready to put some money toward your efforts as well (not by paying agents o). When it ends in praise, nobody cares about the struggle.

This should help:
Copy that!... Let me take one stone out first (test)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Solonzo17(m): 3:06pm On Jun 26, 2019
Thanks
Oasishavenng:

support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2019
t4thayour:
I need advice, please.
I filled and submitted my DS-160 with Lagos consulate as place of interview. Now, I am checking to book appointment, the earliest date I am seeing for Lagos is 26th August, which is way after orientation date.
I am seeing July date in Abuja though. Can I use the same confirmation number for my submitted Lagos DS-160 to book an appointment for Abuja, or will I have to fill out another DS-160 using Abuja (in this case, wouldn't that mean duplication of information?).

I am aware you can't edit already submitted DS-160.
Alternatively, any advise on "strategy" (if any) that one can use to get earlier Lagos date? Someone suggested I try weekends etc
Pls, any advice on options available.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 3:13pm On Jun 26, 2019
Wretch32:
Yet thou continuest to air my humble request , why hast thou decideth to Suffereth me
It wasn't a humble request, there was no ''please" in the sentence. Queens don't take orders, they give orders.
So please, ask nicely and don't forget to address me as Queen Sharwama, first and last of her kind grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by t4thayour: 3:15pm On Jun 26, 2019
dumbiri99:

Don't bother interviewing after resumption date unless you are a fully funded PhD. Save your money and defer. Talking from experience or fill for abuja and interview there at least two early.

Okay thanks.
So, it's okay to fill and submit another DS-160, this time using Abuja as the appointment center?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by samdgreat2011: 3:44pm On Jun 26, 2019
Please my people, I need your help concerning my matter o.

I already have my f1 visa (of course I've shared my testimony since May), and the person who intends to sponsor the deficit for f2 for that of my wife and son is really ready now and is even willing to transfer the money to us. She is a cousin actually.

Should we stick to her giving us her bank statements or we should have the money in our account and just use our own statement for interview.

I'm asking because of the issue of cash inflow/outflow that is usually being considered by VOs
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CptCharlesVane: 3:45pm On Jun 26, 2019
Don't worry, you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about choosing a program just yet. You have options with your GPA either going towards your work experience, your bachelor's, something in-between or even something entirely different.

Read the thread, and start making preparations for GRE (wouldn't know about GMAT, but it's for you to find out whether it is what is required and prepare) and also TOEFL -- many top universities need good speaking scores for their Teaching Assistants.

Don't know about Business Analytics as I'm into the sciences but I'm certain that there will always be opportunities to practice whatever you studied in the US and I believe there you would find more reasons to love it, if you never really liked it before. Your GPA indicates you can actually pass courses that you don't really like like that. Besides, we're not white people, if not how many of us attended our Nigerian universities out of 'passion' for the subject ? grin

So start that slow grind and remember to pay your tithe from that $25k that you won't spend to the house next summer after you've got your funding and visa.

Rule of Thumb:
--- R1>R2>>R3 universities for available funds
--- Bigger department, more students accepted, could translate to greater chance of acceptance
--- Pay attention to GradCafe on international student profile and acceptance rates (not so reliable, but you'd get an idea)
--- Hedge your applications to avoid 'tori dat touch' ie. Spread applications between top 10-20, top 20-50, top 50-100 etc according to thy pocket.

All the best!!
segunbolawole:
Thanks Brov, Honestly I tot I would go into depression when I got a deny... Instead I feel rekindled.. Thanks. A lot to this thread, I will definitely go thru the link you shared.
I think my course will get funding more than pursuing masters related to my work experience.

BTW.. What do you alll think about MS Business Analytics

co

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BIMestBabe: 3:51pm On Jun 26, 2019
Nehemiah77:
Good day fam. My visa was approved this morning at Lagos consulate.
I had a full tuition waiver with 13,300usd deficit. Used uncle as my sponsor. VO didn't as for his SOA.
I will share my transcript shortly.

Congrats!!
I tap into this favour too in Jesus name! Amen
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tohajan: 4:03pm On Jun 26, 2019
Shortcess:

Then, she nodded

Congrats

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.