Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,071 members, 7,807,206 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355244 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by twittycutey(f): 10:55pm On Jul 22, 2019
I have been a silent follower of this thread.
VISA TRANSCRIPT
School: Austin Peay State University
Course: Masters in Biology
Assistantship: $19200
Deficit:$8K
Time: 7.30am
V.O: Pass me your i2o
Why did you choose this school?
Me: Apart from the fact that I was offered graduate assistantship which covers my full tuition with monthly stipends, it offers a perfect combination of my core interest in anatomy, cell and molecular biology and genetics
V.O: who is paying the rest of the deficit?
Me: My aunt
V.O: Have you traveled out before?
Me: No, I have never had the need to until now
V.O : Are you married?
Me: No
V.O: What are your future plans?
Me: I would love to work as a research scientist in a biomedical research institute such as the IHVN here in Abuja, Nigeria Institute of Medical Research so I can use the knowledge gotten from this degree on ongoing research that will enhance our capability to mitigate viral infections in Nigeria.
V.O: I will be approving your visa ( I became partially deaf after that)
Prepare well and pray as if you didn't prepare cos I was so stunned because of how short my interview was really.
Thanks to everyone on this group , Lagosismyhome, time 2win,sharwama for her wonderful posts, slamcole (I got to know this guy from nairaland and he has really been a friend indeed even though i have not met him before. God bless you dear) and nelem for guiding me through my ds160, visa appointment.
See you all in Trumpland! grin grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Akintunde22: 11:02pm On Jul 22, 2019
fairheart:
I have sent the GRE study materials to those who dropped their emails.
Study hard and make yourself proud.

material received, God bless you @fairheart , you are too much

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Drekales: 11:06pm On Jul 22, 2019
Brown2Green:

Masters degree in Engineering barely gets Assistantship before arrival. ( mostly only upon arrival) That's Fact.
If you have a great GPA. Apply for PhD before going back. Your GRE and TOEFL is great. Hence, the discomfort of the VO. Felt you didn't make the best outta your profile.
PhD will have you automatically funded.

No harm in giving it a second try since your dad is funding.

il mio prendere

grin

Missed you here

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omomayelakesi: 11:39pm On Jul 22, 2019
@fairheart, I will appreciate it if you can send the GRE materials to abiolasholarin49@yahoo.com.I need it thanks in anticipation.
fairheart:
I have sent the GRE study materials to those who dropped their emails.
Study hard and make yourself proud.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 12:06am On Jul 23, 2019
yen yen yen, Minister for defense, Ministry of Human Rights.. Time2win stan account... take a seat... you will be alright
VirgoP:

Dude calm the fvck down...you actually insulting someone for not identifying a joke when you fail to do so as well? Like @time2win said..how did you make a first class? undecided undecided undecided

No one here is bitter, take a chill pill and go back to your initial post, digest and ask yourself exactly what you posted...the meaning? @time2win was actually right, what do you want us to think?

You cant come for him and expect ppl to be quiet guy...personally dude is ma gee and ama stan for him

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by oyatospecial: 12:07am On Jul 23, 2019
Kindly help with the GRE material. My email is oyatospecial@gmail.com. thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:26am On Jul 23, 2019
twittycutey:
VISA TRANSCRIPT
Me: Apart from the fact that I was offered graduate assistantship which covers my full tuition with monthly stipends, it offers a perfect combination of my core interest in anatomy, cell and molecular biology and genetics
V.

Congrats .... May God bless your new journey

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:32am On Jul 23, 2019
waynee2baba:
I applied to Michigan Tech Uni for MSc Computer Science and asked for a proficiency and GRE waive since I graduated from a British Uni with a first class honours in Software Engineering. What do y'all think?

If funding is important to you then a good GRE score will boost your first class profile and might be a good idea to write it. It opens you up to more schools options .GRE is taken by US graduates not to talk of any international graduate so really a British uni doesn't exempt

If funding not important and you only want to target Michigan Tech then whether they waive it or not you just have to wait and hear what they say in their response back .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by judithstars: 2:38am On Jul 23, 2019
Please people in the house, i need help.
I was admitted into University of North Carolina-MPH program.
The tuition is 38k but with living expenses and all, it comes up to 63k.
I have no funding/assistantship but my husband will sponsoring me and his SOA reflects enough money for that.
I hope it isnt a red flag for the interview?
GRE-303 CGPA-Pass (MBBS)
Please advice. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by judithstars: 2:39am On Jul 23, 2019
I have no funding/assistantship but my husband will sponsoring me and his SOA reflects enough money for that.
GRE-303 CGPA-Pass (MBBS)
Please advice. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:15am On Jul 23, 2019
judithstars:
GRE-303 CGPA-Pass (MBBS)
Please advice. Thanks

What do you intend to do with the MPH and after graduation. If it to go ahead and write Usmle and match then a cheaper school might have been better. Why pay 63k ? .... Even if to work with MPH if the target is USA then again why not find a cheaper school But if you are happy to pay 63k then hey why not

In terms of red flag ... there no red flag here. If you can show affordability then that fine what left is for the Vo to say yes or no
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by judithstars: 3:47am On Jul 23, 2019
Thanks for your response.
Honestly, i wanted a very good MPH degree hence my reason for applying to John Hopkins and Chapel Hill (big eye syndrome ...lol) but I didnt get funding in neither and my husband is ready to finance it.
I plan to fully plunge into the public health field at some point in my career.
LagosismyHome:

What do you intend to do with the MPH and after graduation. If it to go ahead and write Usmle and match then a cheaper school might have been better. Why pay 63k ? .... Even if to work with MPH if the target is USA then again why not find a cheaper school But if you are happy to pay 63k then hey why not

In terms of red flag ... there no red flag here. If you can show affordability then that fine what left is for the Vo to say yes or no
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:02am On Jul 23, 2019
judithstars:
Thanks for your response.
Honestly, i wanted a very good MPH degree hence my reason for applying to John Hopkins and Chapel Hill (big eye syndrome ...lol) but I didnt get funding in neither and my husband is ready to finance it.
I plan to fully plunge into the public health field at some point in my career.

I understand because it is a naija thing. If you can afford it maybe but if its almost going to swipe or beak the bank for your husband then hummm. To be honest there isn't much return for value doing MPH in those schools (in my opinion) but Naija never understand before they get it. It's after the program when they look back then ahh it becomes clear. But you want what you want . Best of luck

If you do need a contact for Alumni after you gotten visa then pm me, I have friends who did MPH in the two schools mentioned, although not recent but they can give you a tip or two if you require it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kacey007: 5:20am On Jul 23, 2019
Johnolukolade:

If you are going to travel with cash, check Craigslist to see what fit in your budget. Don't pay anyone online until you get to check the apartment out physically.

How do I go about it?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by oluezekiel(m): 5:27am On Jul 23, 2019
Why not apply to other schools? USF doesn't fund any of the MS (engineering) programs. And you're required to get an advisor to pick you or show interest before you can be admitted into the Ph.D. programs.
If your quantitative is >75th percentile and your undergrad GPA is >3.5/4.0, I'd suggest you consider a Ph.D. if you're interested

spaccleinc:
Hello guys.

Visa denied last week Friday at Lagos Consulate. Please, kindly help review the interview transcript and advise if it's still worth it to apply with this same admission offer / any other advice or tip that comes to mind. Thank you.

...........................................................................................

VISA DENIED. Lagos Consulate.

Interview by a middle-aged man, probably late 40s or 50s (Indian origin) on Counter 1.

University of South Florida 

MS in Mechanical Engineering 

No funding/assistantship received 

35K deficit 

Transcript:

VO: Pass me your passport and I20

Me: *passed him my docs

VO typing and looking at his screen for almost 45seconds. Finally asks questions but was staring at his screen for most of the time

VO: When did you finish High School? 

Me: 2010

VO: Bachelor's? 

Me: 2016

VO: What course? 

Me: Mechanical Engineering 

VO: What have you been doing since then? 

Me: I went for my mandatory national youth service at Co**... (VO cuts in) 

VO: Oh... That's just one year 

Me: Yes... After that, I secured a job as a project engineer at **** Engineering Limited, and I've been there since then. 

VO: As a project engineer? 

Me: Yes

VO: And you're still working there? 

Me: Yes, currently working 

VO: You don't have any assistantship. Did you take the GRE? (Now looks at me) 

VO: What did you score? 

Me: 318

VO: TOEFL? 

Me: Yes, 106.

VO: So, how come no assistantship? (VO said this looking very disturbed)

VO: How many universities did you apply to? 

Me: 4

VO: How many admits? 

Me: 2

VO: So why no assistantship?

Me: Well, I was also surprised that I didn't receive any assistantship or funding, so I contacted the schools about this and I was told that assistantships and scholarships are usually awarded on a first come first serve basis

***All this while was always typing and looking at his screen,then stares back at me .. He was still disturbed even after I told him the reply I received from the school ***

VO: Ok. So, why a Masters in Mechanical Engineering? 

Me: Well, I have career interests in Energy sys.... (VO cuts in) 

VO: Ok. Who will be sponsoring your education?

Me: My father will be paying for my education 

VO: Ok. (says this while still typing) 

VO: (Types for about 15 seconds, then brings out the pink slip). I cannot approve your visa. 

Me: Ok sir. 

He didn't ask to see any supporting documents throughout the interview

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kcwitch(m): 5:59am On Jul 23, 2019
Abeg visa denials don reduce?

Also, I have 295 in GRE and a masters degree, any hope of full tuition and visa success?

Thanks in adv
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 6:11am On Jul 23, 2019
twittycutey:
VISA TRANSCRIPT
V.O: who is paying the rest of the deficit?
Me: My aunt
V.O: Have you traveled out before?
Me: No, I have never had the need to until now
V.O : Are you married?
Me: No
V.O: What are your future plans?
Me: I would love to work as a research scientist in a biomedical research institute such as the IHVN here in Abuja, Nigeria Institute of Medical Research so I can use the knowledge gotten from this degree on ongoing research that will enhance our capability to mitigate viral infections in Nigeria.
V.O: I will be approving your visa ( I became partially deaf after that)
Prepare well and pray as if you didn't prepare cos I was so stunned because of how short my interview was really.
Thanks to everyone on this group , Lagosismyhome, time 2win,sharwama for her wonderful posts, slamcole (I got to know this guy from nairaland and he has really been a friend indeed even though i have not met him before. God bless you dear) and nelem for guiding me through my ds160, visa appointment.
See you all in Trumpland! grin grin
Congratulations my friend, may the stars illuminate your path.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 23, 2019
[quote author=LagosismyHome

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Scott200(m): 7:38am On Jul 23, 2019
Busarana:
How much does it cost and if you have done any before can you please help me with ur contact
cost between 20k and 30k. Sent you a mail.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 7:56am On Jul 23, 2019
The way some people come here and ask questions like you are entitled to an answer... Please, Let's be guided and understand people are here to help on their own goodwill
kcwitch:
Abeg visa denials don reduce?

Also, I have 295 in GRE and a masters degree, any hope of full tuition and visa success?

Thanks in adv

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JohnnyAmhan: 8:05am On Jul 23, 2019
VISA APPROVED

Date: 17th, July 2019
VO: Young white american lady
Level: Undergraduate.

It was very scary because, she had rejected the undergraduate guy in my front.

VO: How are you. Your I-20 and passport pls.

Me: Good morning, (she answered and started to type).

VO: Have you travelled a before?

Me: No I have not.

VO: Where are you going to?

Me: I will be going to pursue my undergraduate degree in Psychology at PSC.

VO: Good, so why this school, PSC?

Me: PSC gave me the best scholarship and offer, in the sense that I was offered the Full Tuition and Fees scholarship which covers bulk of my expenses..(she cuts me and said)...

VO: Sorry what is the student size of your school..(I said over a thousand, then she said) because I have not heard about it before, how many school did you apply to? (I said over 9, accepted to about 8 )...
...so go on, why this school?..

Me: Apart from the scholarship, I was placed on the Honors Academy, which exposed me to a more rigorous and challenging academic curriculum (by this time, I was already shaky in ny voice, fear hold me as she was typing fast)...the Honors Academy also will assigned me a Professor and an Excelling Senior in my major to guide me through undergraduate research and opportunities..

VO: (She started to type for a long time, maybe bcoz I talked much)...So who will be sponsoring your education??

Me: I got the Full scholarship and my uncle and aunt will be taking care of the additional cost (I was already talking a little scared with shaky, but very loud voice)..

VO: Do you have a bank statement with you?

Me: Yes, I gave it to her and she perused through it..

VO: (Started to type for long again)...So how did you get the scholarship?

Me: It is a merit based scholarship based on academic achievement, leadership promises, personal statement essays and voluntary experience...it was demonstrated by my SAT score of 1280 and 3.8 GPA.. (my voice scattered small, but she was just typing)...

VO: (looked at her laptop screen for long, I think because I wrote a very long and detailed explanation on what I have been doing and she started to type again for long)...
So what have you been doing since, what is your work experience?

Me: (talked scattered here, but very loud and bold)...I volunteered with a mental health organization which
provided services for people with mental health issues..and also advocate that those persons enjoy same economic and educational opportunities as everyone else...(she cuts me by saying okay..)..

VO: So what are your after graduation plans?

Me: I will come back for my NYSC to take up an academic research job in an health institution to help develop Psychology as a standard major and also contribute to the mental health segment in Nigeria.....

VO: Do you have any family in the US.?

Me: Yes, a distant relative.

VO: looks at her computer, types for a very long time..(meanwhile I was looking at the Green and White slips, scared of what next)...
Gathered my documents and brings out a white slip, do well to pick up your visa in 3 working days ..

Me: (I was deaf in the later part of the statement)...Thank you ma, have a nice day...

Special thanks to all those who have made it a point of duty to contribute to making this thread a sucess. I have not contributed much, but I have been a silent follower of the thread since Part 7 (I think I started to read from part 7 to 15th, haha)..
Ms. Sharwama, sorry I did not call back that night. I did not have airtime, but I can call you now. grin

Mr Fairheart, I can not complete my story without adding how immensely you stood not only for me, but the other sucess stories we have recorded. God bless you sir.
To everyone one out here, Grace will crown all your efforts, in Jesus name, Amen.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kcwitch(m): 8:16am On Jul 23, 2019
segunbolawole:
The way some people come here and ask questions like you are entitled to an answer... Please, Let's be guided and understand people are here to help on their own goodwill

I'm want to know before paying for it, since I'm not the one applying directly
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kcwitch(m): 8:18am On Jul 23, 2019
kcwitch:

I have 295 in GRE and a masters degree, any hope of full tuition for Phd?

Thanks in adv

??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by VirgoP: 8:29am On Jul 23, 2019
Time2win:

My Gee... My hands are up.

grin grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 8:45am On Jul 23, 2019
Then you ask in a polite manner, that's all that's required to get information here

kcwitch:

I'm want to know before paying for it, since I'm not the one applying directly
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oguibe2nice: 8:52am On Jul 23, 2019
DavidhumeNO:

Guy, what papers were you issued?
And when was your status last updated?

White paper Issued stating address I could dhl pickup my visa.. Status last updated a day before my interview
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oasishavenng: 8:56am On Jul 23, 2019
I finally picked up my passport.
I am sorry for the delay in dropping my transcript.
Tuesday 16th of July, 8 a.m
Window 1, African American V.o
V.o: I can see you are going to west Virginia University
Me: yes
V.o: I can see you are going for a masters in industrial engineering
V.o: why are you going for this course
Me: I currently work as a production personnel in xyz and I want to become a production manager. I need to develop skills and knowledge in production optimization, production planing and control and inventory control. This course will equip me the needed skills. It is also the perfect blend of engineering and management which aligns my engineering background and my managerial aspirations.
V.o: when was the last time you were out of Nigeria and for how long
Me: I travelled to Germany last year January and I came back same January
V.o: do you have any relative in USA
Me: no, I don't
V.o: who is funding your masters
Me: I have a full tuition waiver and my sister who works in ABC will take care of the rest.
V.o: your visa has been approved
Me: thank you ( I didn't hear anything again at this point, I was too excited)

Deficit : approx $21000
Funding is actually my sis and her husband but that is too much unnecessary information.

Appreciation goes first to God, it is a miracle for me.
Then my family members, especially my sis for their immense support and for not allowing me give up.
Appreciation to the best friend a girl can ask for, Geedhey for been such a great support system.
Appreciation to fairheart. He was very amazing and I don't take it for granted, for allowing me disturb you and working with my bedtime schedule lol and for even calling with your own airtime.
I appreciate every nairalander that shared their transcript, i learnt a lot from each one shared.
We keep winning

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sammy1210: 9:14am On Jul 23, 2019
Please when booking a flight ticket to the US as a student, do i have to book a return ticket or I book One-way?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:44am On Jul 23, 2019
Sammy1210:
Please when booking a flight ticket to the US as a student, do i have to book a return ticket or I book One-way?

if your degree program is more than one year ........... Then One way ticket is absolutely fine

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 10:02am On Jul 23, 2019
Same dude interviewed me.

HE took him almost 3 mins before he asked me my first question, which was when did you finish high school?

spaccleinc:
Hello guys.

Visa denied last week Friday at Lagos Consulate. Please, kindly help review the interview transcript and advise if it's still worth it to apply with this same admission offer / any other advice or tip that comes to mind. Thank you.

...........................................................................................

Interview by a middle-aged man, probably late 40s or 50s (Indian origin) on Counter 1.

35K deficit 

Transcript:

VO typing and looking at his screen for almost 45seconds. Finally asks questions but was staring at his screen for most of the time

Me: Yes... After that, I secured a job as a project engineer at **** Engineering Limited, and I've been there since then. 

Me: Well, I was also surprised that I didn't receive any assistantship or funding, so I contacted the schools about this and I was told that assistantships and scholarships are usually awarded on a first come first serve basis

***All this while was always typing and looking at his screen,then stares back at me .. He was still disturbed even after I told him the reply I received from the school ***

VO: (Types for about 15 seconds, then brings out the pink slip). I cannot approve your visa. 

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geedhey(m): 10:27am On Jul 23, 2019
Oasishavenng:
I finally picked up my passport.
I am sorry for the delay in dropping my transcript.
Tuesday 16th of July, 8 a.m
Window 1, African American V.o
V.o: I can see you are going to west Virginia University
V.o: I can see you are going for a masters in industrial engineering
V.o: why are you going for this course
Me: I currently work as a production personnel in xyz and I want to become a production manager. I need to develop skills and knowledge in production optimization, production planing and control and inventory control. This course will equip me the needed skills. It is also the perfect blend of engineering and management which aligns my engineering background and my managerial aspirations.
V.o: when was the last time you were out of Nigeria and for how long
Me: I travelled to Germany last year January and I came back same January
V.o: do you have any relative in USA
Me: no, I don't
V.o: who is funding your masters
Me: I have a full tuition waiver and my sister who works in ABC will take care of the rest.
V.o: your visa has been approved
Me: thank you ( I didn't hear anything again at this point, I was too excited)

Deficit : approx $21000
Funding is actually my sis and her husband but that is too much unnecessary information.

Appreciation goes first to God, it is a miracle for me.
Then my family members, especially my sis for their immense support and for not allowing me give up.
Appreciation to the best friend a girl can ask for, Geedhey for been such a great support system.
Appreciation to fairheart. He was very amazing and I don't take it for granted, for allowing me disturb you and working with my bedtime schedule lol and for even calling with your own airtime.
I appreciate every nairalander that shared their transcript, i learnt a lot from each one shared.
We keep winning

Big congrats dear, go forth and have a great success in the US

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 23, 2019
spaccleinc:
Hello guys.

35K deficit 

Transcript:

I think the VO believes you can still apply to a school that will waive something for you at least. Since your grades are okay. Maybe you should try reaching out to more schools.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.