Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (176) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1352737 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gracefoundmme(m): 10:36am On Jul 23, 2019
fairheart:
I have sent the GRE study materials to those who dropped their emails.
Study hard and make yourself proud.

Please Bro Kindly assist me with the materials
Please!
godblessmegg@gmail.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by stevewrites(m): 10:38am On Jul 23, 2019
Nice thread here. I'm have added to my knowledge base. The situation of this country is worse to the level where one must begin to think of alternatives.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by itunes18(f): 11:07am On Jul 23, 2019
congratulations

twittycutey:
I have been a silent follower of this thread.
VISA TRANSCRIPT
School: Austin Peay State University
Course: Masters in Biology
Assistantship: $19200
Deficit:$8K
Time: 7.30am
V.O: Pass me your i2o
Why did you choose this school?
Me: Apart from the fact that I was offered graduate assistantship which covers my full tuition with monthly stipends, it offers a perfect combination of my core interest in anatomy, cell and molecular biology and genetics
V.O: who is paying the rest of the deficit?
Me: My aunt
V.O: Have you traveled out before?
Me: No, I have never had the need to until now
V.O : Are you married?
Me: No
V.O: What are your future plans?
Me: I would love to work as a research scientist in a biomedical research institute such as the IHVN here in Abuja, Nigeria Institute of Medical Research so I can use the knowledge gotten from this degree on ongoing research that will enhance our capability to mitigate viral infections in Nigeria.
V.O: I will be approving your visa ( I became partially deaf after that)
Prepare well and pray as if you didn't prepare cos I was so stunned because of how short my interview was really.
Thanks to everyone on this group , Lagosismyhome, time 2win,sharwama for her wonderful posts, slamcole (I got to know this guy from nairaland and he has really been a friend indeed even though i have not met him before. God bless you dear) and nelem for guiding me through my ds160, visa appointment.
See you all in Trumpland! grin grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Schonebaby: 11:44am On Jul 23, 2019
Good morning e-family.
Please, I'm asking this question for my sister. She's travelling August to the US on Study visa. Please can she book one way, cos the return flight prices I'm seeing are fearfully priced grin .
I want to be sure she can book One way before we book it.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 11:49am On Jul 23, 2019
JohnnyAmhan:
VISA APPROVED

Date: 17th, July 2019
VO: Young white american lady
Level: Undergraduate.

It was very scary because, she had rejected the undergraduate guy in my front.

VO: How are you. Your I-20 and passport pls.

Me: Good morning, (she answered and started to type).

VO: Have you travelled a before?

Me: No I have not.

VO: Where are you going to?

Me: I will be going to pursue my undergraduate degree in Psychology at PSC.

VO: Good, so why this school, PSC?

Me: PSC gave me the best scholarship and offer, in the sense that I was offered the Full Tuition and Fees scholarship which covers bulk of my expenses..(she cuts me and said)...

VO: Sorry what is the student size of your school..(I said over a thousand, then she said) because I have not heard about it before, how many school did you apply to? (I said over 9, accepted to about 8 )...
...so go on, why this school?..

Me: Apart from the scholarship, I was placed on the Honors Academy, which exposed me to a more rigorous and challenging academic curriculum (by this time, I was already shaky in ny voice, fear hold me as she was typing fast)...the Honors Academy also will assigned me a Professor and an Excelling Senior in my major to guide me through undergraduate research and opportunities..

VO: (She started to type for a long time, maybe bcoz I talked much)...So who will be sponsoring your education??

Me: I got the Full scholarship and my uncle and aunt will be taking care of the additional cost (I was already talking a little scared with shaky, but very loud voice)..

VO: Do you have a bank statement with you?

Me: Yes, I gave it to her and she perused through it..

VO: (Started to type for long again)...So how did you get the scholarship?

Me: It is a merit based scholarship based on academic achievement, leadership promises, personal statement essays and voluntary experience...it was demonstrated by my SAT score of 1280 and 3.8 GPA.. (my voice scattered small, but she was just typing)...

VO: (looked at her laptop screen for long, I think because I wrote a very long and detailed explanation on what I have been doing and she started to type again for long)...
So what have you been doing since, what is your work experience?

Me: (talked scattered here, but very loud and bold)...I volunteered with a mental health organization which
provided services for people with mental health issues..and also advocate that those persons enjoy same economic and educational opportunities as everyone else...(she cuts me by saying okay..)..

VO: So what are your after graduation plans?

Me: I will come back for my NYSC to take up an academic research job in an health institution to help develop Psychology as a standard major and also contribute to the mental health segment in Nigeria.....

VO: Do you have any family in the US.?

Me: Yes, a distant relative.

VO: looks at her computer, types for a very long time..(meanwhile I was looking at the Green and White slips, scared of what next)...
Gathered my documents and brings out a white slip, do well to pick up your visa in 3 working days ..

Me: (I was deaf in the later part of the statement)...Thank you ma, have a nice day...

Special thanks to all those who have made it a point of duty to contribute to making this thread a sucess. I have not contributed much, but I have been a silent follower of the thread since Part 7 (I think I started to read from part 7 to 15th, haha)..
Ms. Sharwama, sorry I did not call back that night. I did not have airtime, but I can call you now. grin

Mr Fairheart, I can not complete my story without adding how immensely you stood not only for me, but the other sucess stories we have recorded. God bless you sir.
To everyone one out here, Grace will crown all your efforts, in Jesus name, Amen.
Call who? You can't be serious grin grin grin
Congratulations my friend, the universe is yours to conquer!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 11:51am On Jul 23, 2019
Schonebaby:
Good morning e-family.
Please, I'm asking this question for my sister. She's travelling August to the US on Study visa. Please can she book one way, cos the return flight prices I'm seeing are fearfully priced grin .
Thanks
Abeg no vex. Wetin be the duration of the study kini?
How many months/years
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Schonebaby: 11:53am On Jul 23, 2019
sharwama:

Abeg no vex. Wetin be the duration of the study kini?
How many months/years
She's going for a PhD program but was given 2 years
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Schonebaby: 11:58am On Jul 23, 2019
Schonebaby:
Good morning e-family.
Thanks
Please someone should reply me. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:58am On Jul 23, 2019
Schonebaby:

one way is fine
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Schonebaby: 11:59am On Jul 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

one way is fine
God bless you ma'am. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2019
Schonebaby:

I'm not familiar with this particular PhD scenario, but I do know if the program would exceed a year, a return ticket isn't mandatory.
My regards to her please.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 23, 2019
twittycutey:
See you all in Trumpland!
Congrats babe

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by freshStarz: 12:18pm On Jul 23, 2019
Hi,
I wanna ask you some questions via email. Sent a mail

twittycutey:
I have been a silent follower of this thread.
VISA TRANSCRIPT
School: Austin Peay State University
Course: Masters in Biology
Assistantship: $19200
Deficit:$8K
Time: 7.30am
V.O: Pass me your i2o
Why did you choose this school?
Me: Apart from the fact that I was offered graduate assistantship which covers my full tuition with monthly stipends, it offers a perfect combination of my core interest in anatomy, cell and molecular biology and genetics
V.O: who is paying the rest of the deficit?
Me: My aunt
V.O: Have you traveled out before?
Me: No, I have never had the need to until now
V.O : Are you married?
Me: No
V.O: What are your future plans?
Me: I would love to work as a research scientist in a biomedical research institute such as the IHVN here in Abuja, Nigeria Institute of Medical Research so I can use the knowledge gotten from this degree on ongoing research that will enhance our capability to mitigate viral infections in Nigeria.
V.O: I will be approving your visa ( I became partially deaf after that)
Prepare well and pray as if you didn't prepare cos I was so stunned because of how short my interview was really.
Thanks to everyone on this group , Lagosismyhome, time 2win,sharwama for her wonderful posts, slamcole (I got to know this guy from nairaland and he has really been a friend indeed even though i have not met him before. God bless you dear) and nelem for guiding me through my ds160, visa appointment.
See you all in Trumpland! grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 23, 2019
spaccleinc:

VISA DENIED. Lagos Consulate.

University of South Florida 

MS in Mechanical Engineering 

No funding/assistantship received 

35K deficit 

With your GRE & GPA, you can surely get a GA. This fall is gone already, so look towards next fall. Spread your applications across other R2 schools (that match your interests). Most importantly, always reach out to the Graduate Program Coordinators via email; asking about GA opportunities available for MS students, and how you can be considered for them. As someone also advised, consider doing a PhD (higher chances of getting full funding); "if you're interested". Don't give up Brother...

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 23, 2019
For folks travelling in August, now's the time to buy your $$$ since it's still at N360 (Bureau de Change). Also consider setting up a $$$ account with GTB, and getting a $$$MasterCard. Best wishes smiley

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:05pm On Jul 23, 2019
I see you! God bless the next phase of your life.
Oasishavenng:
I finally picked up my passport.
I am sorry for the delay in dropping my transcript.
Tuesday 16th of July, 8 a.m
Window 1, African American V.o
V.o: I can see you are going to west Virginia University
Me: yes
V.o: I can see you are going for a masters in industrial engineering
Me: yes
V.o: why are you going for this course
Me: I currently work as a production personnel in xyz and I want to become a production manager. I need to develop skills and knowledge in production optimization, production planing and control and inventory control. This course will equip me the needed skills. It is also the perfect blend of engineering and management which aligns my engineering background and my managerial aspirations.
V.o: when was the last time you were out of Nigeria and for how long
Me: I travelled to Germany last year January and I came back same January
V.o: do you have any relative in USA
Me: no, I don't
V.o: who is funding your masters
Me: I have a full tuition waiver and my sister who works in ABC will take care of the rest.
V.o: your visa has been approved
Me: thank you ( I didn't hear anything again at this point, I was too excited)

Deficit : approx $21000
Funding is actually my sis and her husband but that is too much unnecessary information.

Appreciation goes first to God, it is a miracle for me.
Then my family members, especially my sis for their immense support and for not allowing me give up.
Appreciation to the best friend a girl can ask for, Geedhey for been such a great support system.
Appreciation to fairheart. He was very amazing and I don't take it for granted, for allowing me disturb you and working with my bedtime schedule lol and for even calling with your own airtime.
I appreciate every nairalander that shared their transcript, i learnt a lot from each one shared.
We keep winning

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:09pm On Jul 23, 2019
God bless you too my friend!
JohnnyAmhan:
VISA APPROVED

Date: 17th, July 2019
VO: Young white american lady
Level: Undergraduate.

It was very scary because, she had rejected the undergraduate guy in my front.

VO: How are you. Your I-20 and passport pls.

Me: Good morning, (she answered and started to type).

VO: Have you travelled a before?

Me: No I have not.

VO: Where are you going to?

Me: I will be going to pursue my undergraduate degree in Psychology at PSC.

VO: Good, so why this school, PSC?

Me: PSC gave me the best scholarship and offer, in the sense that I was offered the Full Tuition and Fees scholarship which covers bulk of my expenses..(she cuts me and said)...

VO: Sorry what is the student size of your school..(I said over a thousand, then she said) because I have not heard about it before, how many school did you apply to? (I said over 9, accepted to about 8 )...
...so go on, why this school?..

Me: Apart from the scholarship, I was placed on the Honors Academy, which exposed me to a more rigorous and challenging academic curriculum (by this time, I was already shaky in ny voice, fear hold me as she was typing fast)...the Honors Academy also will assigned me a Professor and an Excelling Senior in my major to guide me through undergraduate research and opportunities..

VO: (She started to type for a long time, maybe bcoz I talked much)...So who will be sponsoring your education??

Me: I got the Full scholarship and my uncle and aunt will be taking care of the additional cost (I was already talking a little scared with shaky, but very loud voice)..

VO: Do you have a bank statement with you?

Me: Yes, I gave it to her and she perused through it..

VO: (Started to type for long again)...So how did you get the scholarship?

Me: It is a merit based scholarship based on academic achievement, leadership promises, personal statement essays and voluntary experience...it was demonstrated by my SAT score of 1280 and 3.8 GPA.. (my voice scattered small, but she was just typing)...

VO: (looked at her laptop screen for long, I think because I wrote a very long and detailed explanation on what I have been doing and she started to type again for long)...
So what have you been doing since, what is your work experience?

Me: (talked scattered here, but very loud and bold)...I volunteered with a mental health organization which
provided services for people with mental health issues..and also advocate that those persons enjoy same economic and educational opportunities as everyone else...(she cuts me by saying okay..)..

VO: So what are your after graduation plans?

Me: I will come back for my NYSC to take up an academic research job in an health institution to help develop Psychology as a standard major and also contribute to the mental health segment in Nigeria.....

VO: Do you have any family in the US.?

Me: Yes, a distant relative.

VO: looks at her computer, types for a very long time..(meanwhile I was looking at the Green and White slips, scared of what next)...
Gathered my documents and brings out a white slip, do well to pick up your visa in 3 working days ..

Me: (I was deaf in the later part of the statement)...Thank you ma, have a nice day...

Special thanks to all those who have made it a point of duty to contribute to making this thread a sucess. I have not contributed much, but I have been a silent follower of the thread since Part 7 (I think I started to read from part 7 to 15th, haha)..
Ms. Sharwama, sorry I did not call back that night. I did not have airtime, but I can call you now. grin

Mr Fairheart, I can not complete my story without adding how immensely you stood not only for me, but the other sucess stories we have recorded. God bless you sir.
To everyone one out here, Grace will crown all your efforts, in Jesus name, Amen.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Danikal: 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2019
VISA EXPERIENCE:

SCHOOL: MOREHOUSE COLLEGE
RECEIVED $35K SCHOLARSHIP, DEFICIT: $13K

Abuja Consulate, Thursday 18th 7:30am

I was really nervous during the process, especially when on the interview queue!!! The Lady wasn't smiling at all, dishing out green papers anyhow, denied 5 people in front of me, then next, I was like do you mean me?�

Me: Good Morning

V.o: Pass me your passport and i20

Me: Here you go

V.O: Why this School?

Me: Aside the fact that I was one of the few students who got selected into the oprah winfery scholars program at Morehouse college, am so interested about an on campus program, called Google in residence program, every year, Google assigns(Cuts in)

V.o: How did you get this scholarship?

Me: The oprah winfery scholars program is a very competitive program that is reviewed based on leadership Experience, community service exercises, good academic abilities, $5000 or less family contributions, and (cuts in)

V.o: What things did you do that made you qualify?

Me: I volunteered with rotary international for 4months for a field project in Northern Nigeria where I was raised, I was the vice president of my debate club in school, assistant band leader, plus my family's EFC which is less than $5000 as one of their requirements

V.o: Okay, what other schools gave you good options?

Me: I got into New Jersey Institute of technology, Rollins college, Clark Atlanta, Northern state, and Philander Smith College, and Birmingham Southern

V.o: Do you have a relative in the US?

me: Yes, but not a direct relative

V.o: I will be approving your Visa, here is an instruction to pick up your passport.

That's it broskis����
Collected my passport yesterday..

APPRECIATION:
All thanks to God Almighty, if not for his Grace, I don't know what could have been of me.
Also, to MR. Fairheart, I remember mailing you since last year, seeking your opinion on college applications and then to Visa application and mock interview, all the chats, calls, advice and all, you've been really helpful to me and my colleagues. God bless you Abundantly Sir.
Also to Mr. Sherlock777, your person is one to emulate, your Apt response and advice gave me a firm assurance towards that day, I appreciate you real good!

Thank you Nairaland family, I've followed this thread since part 12, and it's a dream come through for me posting my own transcript today..�
And to all the Visa experts here, may God bless y'all efforts of kindness.. Amen

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by VirgoP: 2:48pm On Jul 23, 2019
Danikal:
VISA EXPERIENCE:

Thank you Nairaland family, I've followed this thread since part 12, and it's a dream come through for me posting my own transcript today..�
And to all the Visa experts here, may God bless y'all efforts of kindness.. Amen

Congrats

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
Danikal:

JohnnyAmhan:

Oasishavenng:

congrats people
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 4:15pm On Jul 23, 2019
Danikal:
VISA EXPERIENCE:

Abuja Consulate, Thursday 18th 7:30am

Congratulations my friend, I share in your joy.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 4:17pm On Jul 23, 2019
Oasishavenng:
I finally picked up my passport.
I am sorry for the delay in dropping my transcript.
Tuesday 16th of July, 8 a.m

Congratulations once again.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dipseacon: 4:24pm On Jul 23, 2019
What are the documents needed for a nigerian student going for visiting visa (B2) interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by learner007(m): 4:25pm On Jul 23, 2019
Does anyone have any info about the current available visa dates? I

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Danikal: 4:28pm On Jul 23, 2019
sharwama:
Congratulations my friend, I share in your joy.
Thank you ma!! you're exceptional.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheGrandChemist(m): 4:38pm On Jul 23, 2019
Schonebaby:

I have not seen any Nigerian PhD. student given a Visa valid for more than 2 years. So, I think that is the norm for Nigerians. However, my friends from Ghana pursuing their PhDs have their Visas valid for four years.

And yes, your sister should get a one way ticket.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shegzyD(m): 4:55pm On Jul 23, 2019
Anyone please??
learner007:
Does anyone have any info about the current available visa dates? I

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BIMestBabe: 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2019
sharwama:

Congratulations once again.

Hello sister! Good afternoon. I've been following your posts and I also sent you an email just now. Please, NY interview is in few days. Can you have a mock interview with me pls? I really look forward to you replying my mail or chatting me up.
Regards.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
TheGrandChemist:

I have not seen any Nigerian PhD. student given a Visa valid for more than 2 years. So, I think that is the norm for Nigerians. However, my friends from Ghana pursuing their PhDs have their Visas valid for four years.

And yes, your sister should get a one way ticket.

The length of a US non immigrant visa is based on a reciprocal agreement with that country. The standard US visa duration for Nigerians is 2 years, because that is the duration we give to Americans applying for a Nigerian visa. It doesn’t really matter though... how long you can stay in the country is dictated by your I-94, which for a PhD student, should read D/S.

14 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheGrandChemist(m): 5:08pm On Jul 23, 2019
TWoods:

The length of a US non immigrant visa is based on a reciprocal agreement with that country. The standard US visa duration for Nigerians is 2 years, because that is the duration we give to Americans applying for a Nigerian visa. It doesn’t really matter though... how long you can stay in the country is dictated by your I-94, which for a PhD student, should read D/S.

You are absolutely right!

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2019
BIMestBabe:

Hello sister! Good afternoon. I've been following your posts and I also sent you an email just now. Please, NY interview is in few days. Can you have a mock interview with me pls? I really look forward to you replying my mail or chatting me up.
Regards.
You don't look forward to me calling you? That's what I want to do please. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 6:02pm On Jul 23, 2019
Wat is the average wait time for getting a decision on Administration Processing?

(1) (2) (3) ... (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.