Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (205) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355692 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Senatorbee(m): 10:01am On Aug 02, 2019
amb001:

I can save as much as 200k
It's ok then
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by reigningme: 10:26am On Aug 02, 2019
sharwama:

My school specifically said they won't accept investment kini as proof of financial support before sending I-20. Bearing that in mind I am not sure you should use it either especially if it's for your uncle grin grin grin

Please ooo gurus in the house. I work in a bleep university. I want to apply for a loan in cooperative society of my school. Can I use pre-approval as statement of account. I know nothing abeg enlighten me. thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 10:29am On Aug 02, 2019
Pharmz:
Appointment details
Venue : Abuja
Date : Thursday, August 8th, 2019
Time : 07:30 (37)
Deficit : $25,876
Funding : Aunty, SOA - $42,000
GA - $2,500 application submitted but interview will be in person.

Me: Good morning.
VO: Good morning, pass me your i20 and passport.
Me: passed it.

VO: why are you going to the US?
Me: I'm going for my masters degree in Applied Clinical Research at the St Cloud State University, St Cloud, Minnesota.

VO : But you studied Plant Science ?
ME : Yes, I studied courses in ethnobotany and biotechnology which exposed me to the phytochemical relevance of plants to the pharmaceuticals and to human anatomy including its technological applications.

VO: How did you learn about SCSU?
Me: I carried out a personal research online about SCSU after I heard about the school at a seminar presentation at FRIN in Ibadan and their entry requirements matched my profile.

VO: Did u apply to other schools?
Me: I applied to two schools : St Cloud State Universty, Minnesota and East Tennessee State University, Tennessee.

VO : Why did you choose two schools ?
ME : Ï met with their requirements and I was qualified so I did not bother to apply to any other schools, also their tuition fee which is quite affordable.

VO : How many admits?
ME: One from St Cloud State University.

VO: Why did you choose US ?
ME: US takes pride in technology advancement and has made sure all spectrum of the educational institutions are well equipped with latest technologies. Technology plays a pivotal role in research and development, hence it will afford me to be introduced to modern methods and new skills in medical research. Moreover, it's a new scientific and research course that is not available in Nigeria Universities, few that are willing to offer do not have the financial capacity to purchase to purchase instruments and keep the laboratory running, hence work only based on theory is not good enough for analytical scientists. No doubt USA is the best, offers a conducive atmospheric environment to acquire skills and gain knowledge of academic research career in order to become a leader in clinical field.
Research and training facilities and opportunity to meet with world reknowned Academia.

VO : Why did you choose St Cloud ?
ME : It distinguish itself in offering the only clinical research program in the US that focuses specifically on medical devices and the flexibility of its program affords me the opportunity to inculcate courses outside my major to fit into my academic and career plan.
Industry expert faculty 75% of who are or were executives in the pharmaceutical or biotech industries teach all classes using real world examples and projects.
They also collaborate with world class medical research organization e.g Mayo Clinic and Syneos health.

VO: Any standardized test?
ME: I wrote GRE.

VO: what was your score?
Me: 285

VO : When did you finish your first degree ?
ME : 2009

VO : What have you been doing since then ?
ME : Ï did a year National Youth Service Corp at Ministry of Natural resources, I was a biology teacher between 2011-2015, presently working as a research assistant with Africa Cassava Agronomy Initiative, a research grant sponsored by Bill and Melinda Gates.

VO : What are your roles as a research assistant ?
ME : Establishment of project trials and plot dimensions
Monitoring of tillage and ridging prior to planting ba
sed on the trial treatment.
Planting of inputs to ensure correct placement, accurate distance within rows and plots, facilitation of fertilizer application and weeding, sprout count and other observations.
Growth evaluation, weed assessment, disease incidence and name if any, ceptometer reading, yield by root category and others as required by the modeler.
Data analysis.

VO: I can see you don't have an assistanship ?
ME: I actually got an offer for Graduate Assistance which covers part of my tuition fee and monthly stipend, all documents have been submitted and interview will take place in person at Plymouth campus in 18th, passes email proof of APPLICATION FOR GRADUATE ASSISTANT sent from St Cloud State University.

VO : What are your responsibilities as a Graduate
Assistant ?
ME : Represent the Graduate program at off campus and on campus events including identifying locations and tracking prospects.
Conduct research for program directors as needed.
Organize and host prospective students and group visits to campus as needed.
Assist with program marketing, including social media.
Track prospects and initiate communication flow.

VO : What are your study plans ?
ME : I will be offering a minimum of 34 credit unit coursework and will be taking courses in : Evidence based medicine, biostatistics for clinical trials, applied anatomy..physiology, ............and phatophysiology, clinical risk management and safety.
I'm required to have a culminating project experience which will result in a written research paper and a minimum of 2.5/4.0 for my graduation.

VO: what will this degree do for you?
Me: A masters degree in Applied Clinical Research from a recognised institution like SCSU in the US will undoubtedly make me develop a deep and broad functional expertise in medical and pharmaceuticals clinical research so I can consider going for PhD on getting back to Nigeria but I'm not thinking about that now because situation changes overtime, will rather leave that for future to decide. But I will be able to secure employment in medical research institutes (e.g Nigeria Medical Research Institute) or offer consultancy services to medical professionals, Govt health institutions ( Federal or state), policy makers in health sector, clinical trial funders. Even presently government agencies need clinical researchers to serve as watchdog for new medicine, treatments and diagnostic products hitting the market on a daily basis in Nigeria.

VO : What do you understand by Applied Clinical Research?
ME : It is an area of healthcare focuses/ascertain on the safety, efficacy and effectiveness of everything ranging from medical devices to pharmaceutical products and diagnostic products. Some of my research processes will include Gas Chromatography, Mass Spectroscopy, Infrared spectroscopy etc.

VO: Are u married?
ME: About to get married to my fiance, we've already booked a date at the marriage registry. (I actually planned to put a date that will fall during the 1st semester break).

VO: who will take care the deficit?
ME: My Aunt

VO: Can I see your aunty's statement of account?
Me Passed it and she perused it thoroughly.

VO:What does your aunt do?
Me: She's a director at Federal Medical Center, Abeokuta. Also owns BISAD Medicare Ltd ( sales, services and supply of medical equipments and pharmaceuticals .

VO : Do you have any relative in the US ?
ME : No (even thou I have).

END

I’m not an expert but here is my contribution.

- You most probably won’t have the time to talk as much during the interview.

As you work on your transcript, have these three questions in mind.

1. How will you show that you’re a genuine student?
2. What will establish that you’re coming back home?
3. Can you afford it?

Now it’s important to know that the VO is rarely interested in “how smart” you sound. So being a bookworm with all those thick educational response might not help much.

You need to make him or her understand that you need the degree as part of your overall career plan, tie the career plan to coming back home after your studies.

Also don’t pass any document that is not needed.

You’ve left school for a while, so be prepared to talk about what you’ve been doing since then, and how this degree will further help you in your current job. (This is really important)

PLEASE DONT LIE.

Good luck

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 11:21am On Aug 02, 2019
Abdulrahmon68:

Am not sure he is cracking jokes bro. I think he actually once said on the platform that he graduated from a British Uni with a first class honours in Software Engineering. He seems to be a brilliant dude but he has allowed his profile to get to his head which is why you will always see too much pride in anything he post. I remembered you and him exchanged words last week over the way he was asking questions with arrogance. How I wish he can just be humble enough so that he won't have issues with the VO during his interview. It really pays to be humble! I wish him success!

Cheers.

He said he got a CGPA of 4.0/4.0 and failed to understand that that is not magna cum laude as he said, but summa cum laude. Summa cum Laude is of the highest honor. I laugh in chinese. He is actually a good comedian... I love his antics!

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 11:31am On Aug 02, 2019
It's been a while since I posted something here...glad this place is still well saturated with good news.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shegzyD(m): 11:34am On Aug 02, 2019
Congratulations. God bless you. I also want to go for masters in mis but a diff Sch tho.
tayben015:
I've been a silent follower, I am grateful to you all for your contributions, I have really gained a lot from this group, thank you for all you do.

MY VISA WAS APPROVED THIS MORNING

VO: good morning, pass me your passport and i20

Me: I did

VO: so you are going to the US to study computer science.

Me: I am actually going to study management information systems with a major in computer systems analysis.

VO: what did you study in your undergraduate

Me: I studied Electrical and Electronic engineering with a major in telecommunications which has got to do with informations. MIS too has got to do with solving business problems with information technology.

VO: Why do you need a master's degree now, since you have been working with **** state government since you finished your NYSC

Me: I need a master's degree in MIS now for career advancement. Besides, more ministries are being created in my state and their is serious need for database administrators.

VO: I can see you have relatives in the US, what do they do?

Me: yes, I have 2 brothers in the united state, they are students of UIS, one just graduated and will be starting his PhD this same month, the other is still studying MPH.

VO: who will sponsoring you

Me: My elder brother, he is in charge of the family funds.

VO: I'll be approving your visa, he brought out the white paper and circled collection point, I didn't even wait to hear when to pick it up. I just carried my file and left.

No SOA asked, I didn't even take any test and I applied to just one school. It was just God!

To God be the glory, thank you nairalanders.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flukaa: 11:43am On Aug 02, 2019
Good morning all, I was denied a visa at the embassy on 8th of July, planning to go again this August in Abuja. I got married on the 20th of July. I hope my change of marital status won't affect my chances of getting an approval? (desperation). Note: going for my 4th attempt

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by MyCaseIsDiffere(f): 12:05pm On Aug 02, 2019
tayben015:
I've been a silent follower, I am grateful to you all for your contributions, I have really gained a lot from this group, thank you for all you do.

A big congratulations, brotherly. See God! See God! Chai see God! I am currently rolling on the floor to praise this God on your behalf. What a smooth, easy peasy interview!

Uncle, please sir before you go, please pass the mantle to me, Biko... I type in faith, as I tap this testimony, I claim it and I receive it, in Jesus Name.

Please, nobody should come for me, Biko. I have headache. I am preparing for my interview. I am preparing as if God is too busy to look my side and I am doing the spiritual work as though that is the only way.

Over preparation no dey kill!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 12:10pm On Aug 02, 2019
Someone said something about JFK. I'm looking 4 dat comment. Any risk in a taking flight and transitting through JFK?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by MyCaseIsDiffere(f): 12:12pm On Aug 02, 2019
flukaa:
Good morning all, I was denied a visa at the embassy on 8th of July, planning to go again this August in Abuja. I got married on the 20th of July. I hope my change of marital status won't affect my chances of getting an approval? (desperation). Note: going for my 4th attempt

I don't think it will affect you at all, instead I think it will help your case to prove stronger home ties. Please, I am no guru ooo. Over to the gurus. BTW, 4th attempt ain't nothing if you don't turn it to one. Did you read our class Captain's testimony? Bro Time2Win got his at 9th attempt. Relax and prepare well, my dear. May the blessings of conjugal bliss make way for you.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by itunes18(f): 12:12pm On Aug 02, 2019
please drop your transcript so that the gurus can review it as this might help

[quote author=flukaa post=80864252]Good morning all, I was denied a visa at the embassy on 8th of July, planning to go again this August in Abuja. I got married on the 20th of July. I hope my change of marital status won't affect my chances of getting an approval? (desperation). Note: going for my 4th attempt [/quote
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by MyCaseIsDiffere(f): 12:41pm On Aug 02, 2019
Abdulrahmon68:

Am not sure he is cracking jokes bro. I think he actually once said on the platform that he graduated from a British Uni with a first class honours in Software Engineering. He seems to be a brilliant dude but he has allowed his profile to get to his head which is why you will always see too much pride in anything he post. I remembered you and him exchanged words last week over the way he was asking questions with arrogance. How I wish he can just be humble enough so that he won't have issues with the VO during his interview. It really pays to be humble! I wish him success!

Cheers.

Joke or not, there is a big lesson to learn from this. My Professor would always say, " woe to those who think experience is the best teacher because it is actually the worst. Precept is the best teacher. Precept is the experience of others."

It saddens me to share my experience as relating to the young man's comedy post of a proposed transcript to study in Harvard. I am also not so saddened cos I am sure this will help someone. The post caught my attention, cos I was initially like, " Oh, wow! Someone going to my school? We can certainly link up". But my bubble bursted when I realized that it was only a satire. For those who can remember, I shared earlier how I got denied a student visa, 4 times. Even though; I carried an I-20 from Harvard, with full tuition waiver plus stipends; I had a bank statement from an account in Atlanta with over $40k genuinely set aside for my studies; Plus a GA position. Chai! The pride that followed me to my first interview no make me see road pass. I answered all the questions arrogantly, who born their father? Chai! Pride is a demon oooo. I was so proud that I didn't alter a single sir/ma. I held my Harvard folder with so much air of importance. And with the same pride, the VOs gave me the blue slip 4 solid times.

LESSONS TO BE LEARNT: You are not superior to any VO as long as long as your visa interview is concerned. IVY school I-20 holders, get rejected too. No one cares, even if you were the best overall graduating student in your alma-mater; as long as you cannot answer the questions thrown at you to the satisfaction of the VO, rejection is sure. Be confident but DON'T BE PROUD! IVY league school is no substitute to preparation. Prepare! Prepare! Prepare! I read Shawarma's appreciation script and the wise counsel texrem gave her. If only someone had said that to me before my previous interviews. If only I was even humble enough to read Nairaland like my dear friend pleaded with me to. As long as you are reading this, I am sure you wouldn't make the same mistakes that I made.

There is safety in multitudes of counsel. God bless Nairaland and God bless you all. Happy Weekend. angry��

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sosao(f): 12:45pm On Aug 02, 2019
I personally don’t know what to think again
It is taking too long
This stress level is killing me
Swerveking14:
Administrative Processing is the most frustrating position you can be when it comes to traveling to the U.S... cry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 1:06pm On Aug 02, 2019
Visa Approved !
Transcript Loading..

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by acebolted: 1:16pm On Aug 02, 2019
Brown2Green:
Visa Approved !
Transcript Loading..
Wow..... congrats man
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by acebolted: 1:17pm On Aug 02, 2019
Sosao:
I personally don’t know what to think again
It is taking too long
This stress level is killing me
Still on this?.......what course are you going for?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 1:21pm On Aug 02, 2019
MyCaseIsDiffere:

Joke or not, there is a big lesson to learn from this. My Professor would always say, " woe to those who think experience is the best teacher because it is actually the worst. Precept is the best teacher. Precept is the experience of others."

It saddens me to share my experience as relating to the young man's comedy post of a proposed transcript to study in Harvard. I am also not so saddened cos I am sure this will help someone. The post caught my attention, cos I was initially like, " Oh, wow! Someone going to my school? We can certainly link up". But my bubble bursted when I realized that it was only a satire. For those who can remember, I shared earlier how I got denied a student visa, 4 times. Even though; I carried an I-20 from Harvard, with full tuition waiver plus stipends; I had a bank statement from an account in Atlanta with over $40k genuinely set aside for my studies; Plus a GA position. Chai! The pride that followed me to my first interview no make me see road pass. I answered all the questions arrogantly, who born their father? Chai! Pride is a demon oooo. I was so proud that I didn't alter a single sir/ma. I held my Harvard folder with so much air of importance. And with the same pride, the VOs gave me the blue slip 4 solid times.

LESSONS TO BE LEARNT: You are not superior to any VO as long as long as your visa interview is concerned. IVY school I-20 holders, get rejected too. No one cares, even if you were the best overall graduating student in your alma-mater; as long as you cannot answer the questions thrown at you to the satisfaction of the VO, rejection is sure. Be confident but DON'T BE PROUD! IVY league school is no substitute to preparation. Prepare! Prepare! Prepare! I read Shawarma's appreciation script and the wise counsel texrem gave her. If only someone had said that to me before my previous interviews. If only I was even humble enough to read Nairaland like my dear friend pleaded with me to. As long as you are reading this, I am sure you wouldn't make the same mistakes that I made.

There is safety in multitudes of counsel. God bless Nairaland and God bless you all. Happy Weekend. angry��

Unnecessary and insincere “humility” won’t get you a US visa. Very few Americans address each other as sir/ma. In fact most people prefer to be on first name basis, regardless of title. If you cannot answer the questions asked satisfactorily, you will be denied a visa, no demons involved.

12 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 1:25pm On Aug 02, 2019
MyCaseIsDiffere:

A big congratulations, brotherly. See God! See God! Chai see God! I am currently rolling on the floor to praise this God on your behalf. What a smooth, easy peasy interview!

Uncle, please sir before you go, please pass the mantle to me, Biko... I type in faith, as I tap this testimony, I claim it and I receive it, in Jesus Name.

Please, nobody should come for me, Biko. I have headache. I am preparing for my interview. I am preparing as if God is too busy to look my side and I am doing the spiritual work as though that is the only way.

Over preparation no dey kill!

God doesn’t grant or deny visas, can we please tone down on the insincere religious groveling? It smacks of desperation rather than true reverence for God.

I read through your profile quickly and it’s easy to see why you were denied an F1 visa 4 times. At your last visit to the US, you stayed for 5 months! That’s almost half the year. What job allows you to take a 5 month vacation? The #1 criteria for qualifying for an F1 visa is that you show solid ties to your home country and prove non-immigrant intent. Well you decide if your travel history does that.

Lastly, you’re applying for an MA in theological studies. You can do that in any school anywhere on the planet. Using the name “Harvard” does not grant you any special privileges here.

You can spend more time understanding why you where denied a visa and reconsidering your goals than wasting your time rolling on the floor.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sosao(f): 1:29pm On Aug 02, 2019
Project management
acebolted:

Still on this?.......what course are you going for?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 1:30pm On Aug 02, 2019
TWoods:

God doesn’t grant or deny visas, can we please tone down on the insincere religious groveling? It smacks of desperation rather than true reverence for God.
You know most Nigerians are very religious and religious arguments never get anywhere...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tiptoe1: 1:46pm On Aug 02, 2019
tayben015:

Me: I am actually going to study management information systems with a major in computer systems analysis.

Me: I studied Electrical and Electronic engineering with a major in telecommunications which has got to do with informations. MIS too has got to do with solving business problems with information technology.

VO: Why do you need a master's degree now, since you have been working with **** state government since you finished your NYSC

Me: I need a master's degree in MIS now for career advancement. Besides, more ministries are being created in my state and their is serious need for database administrators.

Me: yes, I have 2 brothers in the united state, they are students of UIS, one just graduated and will be starting his PhD this same month, the other is still studying MPH.

VO: I'll be approving your visa, he brought out the white paper and circled collection point, I didn't even wait to hear when to pick it up. I just carried my file and left.

No SOA asked, I didn't even take any test and I applied to just one school. It was just God!

Congrats. Was it in Lagos or Abuja?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 1jimax: 1:56pm On Aug 02, 2019
Good afternoon everyone, my visa was denied today, and it's my first time. Two things I will want to know
1. I have an SAT score of 1280,is it compulsory to have applied to more than two schools with that kind of score.

2. How soon can I reapply?

I will really appreciate your responses
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 2:02pm On Aug 02, 2019
adesunloye11:

What about your blocked account in Germany? Can you unfreeze before leaving Germany
I am waiting to hear from Fintiba. Hopefully I should
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 2:04pm On Aug 02, 2019
MyCaseIsDiffere:
Gluckwunsch, mein bruder! A big congratulations! Let's toast to a glass of German beer.
Once again, congrats to all the new successful applicants. I share in your joy. The US is indeed a place to be, howbeit; nowhere can be like home. Nigeria is home, all day, everyday. ��

Danke Sehr meine Schwester. Sorry my response is coming late
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 2:05pm On Aug 02, 2019
sharwama:

You celebrated with me and now I celebrate with you too, Congratulations my friend.
Thank you very much ma'am. I appreciate you.
Sorry my response is coming late.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 2:09pm On Aug 02, 2019
Chriswazo:

Congrats my brother, u were among the guys that guided me last year on the Germany student thread.

Am happy u got ur first love at last.
Boss man, I am happy to hear the bolded above. I remember your moniker from the thread as well. I am now free from Bitte sprechen sie Englisch.
I hope you're having a great time in Deutschland though.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 2:11pm On Aug 02, 2019
Brown2Green:
Visa Approved !
Transcript Loading..
Congratulations man
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 02, 2019
Brown2Green:
Visa Approved !
Transcript Loading..

Congrats brov. I am really happy you got it. Success all the way
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by platypelloid: 2:15pm On Aug 02, 2019
Good afternoon house,please I applied to a PhD program in Michigan technological University for fall 2019.
Till now awaiting program decision is on my profile.
This is August 2,Does this mean that I am not accepted for the program??
Pls house what do you feel??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sunnypolicy02: 2:15pm On Aug 02, 2019
Congratulations bro!

Brown2Green:
Visa Approved !
Transcript Loading..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 02, 2019
platypelloid:
Good afternoon house,please I applied to a PhD program in Michigan technological University for fall 2019.
Till now awaiting program decision is on my profile.
This is August 2,Does this mean that I am not accepted for the program??
Pls house what do you feel??

Likely you have not been accepted, because I believe admission decisions for Fall '19 must have been made. You can still send an inquiry mail to grad school(or whatever department incharge of grad school application) to get an update on your application.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gennylota: 2:23pm On Aug 02, 2019
tayben015:

no test and one school. it was just God indeed

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.