Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (287) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355751 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 2:58pm On Nov 01, 2019
Hello guys.. please I need advice..
I was denied my F-1 student visa this morning at the Abuja consulate.
Interview went like this:
VO: can I have your passport and I20
Me: passed it on
VO: why Illinois?
Me: still talking when vo cuts
VO: you're going for your masters in law?
Me: yes
VO: you have a degree in law?
Me: yes I do
VO: are you a practicing lawyer?
Me: yes I am
VO: did you apply to other schools?
Me: yes I did. Was naming them when he cuts me...
VO: this program at Illinois is quite expensive, I see you were given a scholarship. You still will be needing approximately $40,000. Can I see bank statements..
Me: I give him my uncle's bank statement. Also supplements with mine.
VO: what does your uncle do?
Me: he is a contractor, deals in supply and sale of industrial and agricultural equipments/ building materials
VO: cuts in.... does he have children?
Me: yes he does, 3 daughters.
VO: how old are they?
Me: first is 36, second a few years younger, I'm not sure. Last is around my age.
VO: where do they live?
Me: first lives in Sweden, second lives in south africa and the last lives here.
VO: have they ever travelled to the US?
Me: I can't say..
VO: did you pay any money to the school?
Me: no I haven't
VO: ... types for a while, passes my passport and a green sleep. I can't issue you a visa at this time. Try again.

I'm still shocked, I don't know how to feel. I don't feel bad but I don't feel good either.
I have paid another visa fee. Hoping to apply again and secure another date before school resumes in January.

I was admitted into all four schools I applied to.
University of Illinois, university of San Diego, Arizona state university, st. Mary's university.
Illinois gave me $35,000 scholarship, San Diego gave me $10,000 scholarship.
Uncle had a closing balance of almost 10,000,000 and a good cash inflow.
I don't know where I went wrong. He didn't tell. All two F-1 applicants before me were denied.

Hoping to get another interview date in two weeks. I need advice guys
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Acceptjesus: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2019
Hmm!
I can understand, how you feel, I am yet to visit the embassy.
Let's just anticipate responses from the gurus here!
I will just say one thing, May be you should pray more!
Regards.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 3:47pm On Nov 01, 2019
It's all luck from what I experienced. Just luck
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Americanpizza(f): 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
How much is your deficit?

quote author=riogrannde post=83655733]Hello guys.. please I need advice..
VO: this program at Illinois is quite expensive, I see you were given a scholarship. You still will be needing approximately $40,000. Can I see bank statements..
Me: he is a contractor, deals in supply and sale of industrial and agricultural equipments/ building materials
Me: first is 36, second a few years younger, I'm not sure. Last is around my age.
Me: first lives in Sweden, second lives in south africa and the last lives here.
VO: ... types for a while, passes my passport and a green sleep. I can't issue you a visa at this time. Try again.

I'm still shocked, I don't know how to feel. I don't feel bad but I don't feel good either.
I have paid another visa fee. Hoping to apply again and secure another date before school resumes in January.

University of Illinois, university of San Diego, Arizona state university, st. Mary's university.
I don't know where I went wrong. He didn't tell. All two F-1 applicants before me were denied.

[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 4:23pm On Nov 01, 2019
riogrannde:

You had good scholarships but your response and your uncle Balance is the issue.

A deficit of $40k is around N15m(approx).The US embassy uses the rate of N370 to a Naira and the account balance is N10m.From your response seems your uncle has lots of responsibilities...

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:07pm On Nov 01, 2019
riogrannde:

$40k balance is a lot oooo. Especially if it not a parent that is your sponsor . A Vo will think the chances of you becoming out of status is higher because for an uncle to bring 40K (14 million) is no joke . All the best in your next interview, hopefully you get a VO that will favor you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 7:52pm On Nov 01, 2019
Bhb14:
I was denied this morning at lagos branch, the VO first question was "have i ever applied for fiancee Visa before(No), was i enaged to a US citizen before(No), he was surprised, i told him there must be a mistake somewere, buh i could see it in his eyes that he has ruled me out, becasue i applied for Student visa but he can see on his system i have applied for fiancee visa, ;please house help me on this, where did the issue come from?
Regards

That’s very strange. You should seek to clarify this ASAP if it is truly an error if not you won’t ever get a US visa again.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ernestamy: 9:11pm On Nov 01, 2019
Hello House,
Please can someone assist with a good contact to register for GRE. Tried contacting by Mafit but they are not registering GRE test for now..Want to write by this month ending.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 9:47pm On Nov 01, 2019
I'm short of about $10,000

Americanpizza:
How much is your deficit?

quote author=riogrannde post=83655733]Hello guys.. please I need advice..

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 9:48pm On Nov 01, 2019
True. I just need to figure out how to make it right

LagosismyHome:

$40k balance is a lot oooo. Especially if it not a parent that is your sponsor . A Vo will think the chances of you becoming out of status is higher because for an uncle to bring 40K (14 million) is no joke . All the best in your next interview, hopefully you get a VO that will favor you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 9:49pm On Nov 01, 2019
Any idea what I can do?

Pefuele:

You had good scholarships but your response and your uncle Balance is the issue.

A deficit of $40k is around N15m(approx).The US embassy uses the rate of N370 to a Naira and the account balance is N10m.From your response seems your uncle has lots of responsibilities...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 10:19pm On Nov 01, 2019
riogrannde:
Any idea what I can do?

If you say this:

How many children does your uncle have?

Three. All of them are fully settled and doing well.

Where are they? If you mentioned countries like Aussie,Germany, Switzerland....it looks great.

I really dnt know their profile. You are probably saying the right thing...

All these question is to know how close you are to your uncle and how many people is he still feeding.The VO probably checked the balance in the account.

Which school are you going to in Illinois?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gospelozy(f): 11:49pm On Nov 01, 2019
Good morning and Happy New Month. Please anyone in the house should help me out here as I stuck. Don't even know where to put the pin.
Thank you.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by NewHeaven3: 12:46am On Nov 02, 2019
Gospelozy:
Good morning and Happy New Month. Please anyone in the house should help me out here as I stuck. Don't even know where to put the pin.
Thank you.
go to Schedule appointment, then as you are going through the process there's a page that you will see where you'll input your Ds 160 Confirmation number. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 5:17am On Nov 02, 2019
Yes I think so. I'm just reflecting and realising now. He was convinced about the school. But he was satisfied with my funding. Plus my i20 indicated "ORGANISATION/FAMILY FUNDS" so funding was incomplete I guess.

I'm going to university of Illinois College of law

Pefuele:

If you say this:

How many children does your uncle have?

Three. All of them are fully settled and doing well.

Where are they? If you mentioned countries like Aussie,Germany, Switzerland....it looks great.

I really dnt know their profile. You are probably saying the right thing...

All these question is to know how close you are to your uncle and how many people is he still feeding.The VO probably checked the balance in the account.

Which school are you going to in Illinois?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sleekyomon: 5:17am On Nov 02, 2019
Hi everyone,
I have a question for the house. I’m on f1 status here in The United state....my visa expired but my i20 is still valid. Right now I’m trying to go visit my cousin in Canada during the Xmas holiday. Can I travel with an expired f1 visa ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 5:34am On Nov 02, 2019
riogrannde:
Yes I think so. I'm just reflecting and realising now. He was convinced about the school. But he was satisfied with my funding. Plus my i20 indicated "ORGANISATION/FAMILY FUNDS" so funding was incomplete I guess.

I'm going to university of Illinois College of law

Oh! is it UIUC? If it is UIUC then the $40k definitely worth it if your uncle has the means. It will be a money well spent in a school ranked top 50 nationally.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 6:44am On Nov 02, 2019
Yea it is.. I just need to get my funding right... i wish i had an idea

Pefuele:

Oh! is it UIUC? If it is UIUC then the $40k definitely worth it if your uncle has the means. It will be a money well spent in a school ranked top 50 nationally.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Bhb14: 6:56am On Nov 02, 2019
cry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Bhb14: 6:58am On Nov 02, 2019
cry cry cry I want to call the consulate because from the registration, there was no mistake

That’s very strange. You should seek to clarify this ASAP if it is truly an error if not you won’t ever get a US visa again. [/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:38am On Nov 02, 2019
Sleekyomon:
Hi everyone,
I have a question for the house. I’m on f1 status here in The United state....my visa expired but my i20 is still valid. Right now I’m trying to go visit my cousin in Canada during the Xmas holiday. Can I travel with an expired f1 visa ?

What is your goal ? , to visit and renew the Visa or just to visit .

Normally expired Visa can go anywhere as Visa is used for entry " not existing" so it's when you want to enter that it becomes a yes or no . So make sure you have the right Visa to enter any county

If you dont plan to renew it in Canada then read about "Automatic Revalidation - Re-Entering the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean on an Expired Visa"

If you plan to renew in Canada then Google on that process. This used to be popular in my time, people just renew in Canada instead of going to Nigeria
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mayDtolu(m): 7:51am On Nov 02, 2019
effyzzy:
Visa Approved || Passport collected
Venue: Abuja

Very calm place... Didn't have the usual Lagos rush.
Did the usual checks and biometrics.
I was asked to go retake a passport though... they needed something within the last 6 months. (2k just went like that)

Fast forward to my interview.
A woman in her late 40s. Very calm and friendly.

VO: So you're going to the University of New Mexico
ME: Yes, in Albuquerque
VO: How did you find out about the school?
ME: I did an online research using USnews and Princeton Review on schools offering Electrical Engineering with Communications as a Research area and a faculty with a strong Focus in my area of research interest which is 'Cognitive Radios'
VO: Cog what??
ME: Cognitive Radios
VO: what's that? I've never heard of it (laughing)
ME: Explains what 'cognitive radio' is
VO: Your school is expensive
ME: Yes ma, but I got a graduate assistantship position that fully covers my tution, with very generous monthly stipends
VO: Do you have any document from the school that shows this?
ME: Brings out my Admission letter
VO: They wrote here that it's just for one academic year
ME: Yes ma, it's renewable if I maintain a particular GPA level
VO: in case you lose your funding, do you have support from home?
ME: Yes, My cousin offered to support me in such a case
VO: What does he do?
ME: He's the head of blah blah at blah blah
VO: What about your family?
ME: Yes, my family would be supporting me as well
VO: What do they do?
ME: Explains
VO: Okay, (then types for like 30 seconds, the next thing I saw was that cute white paper) ...'I will be approving your VISA' was all I heard
ME: Thank you ma
VO: Hold on... In a case where you lose your source of funding, what will you do?
ME: I will come back to my country immediately
VO: When does your program start?
ME: January
VO: Make sure you don't arrive before Dec... Or you'll be turned back at the POE
ME: Alright ma, thank you
VO: Good. Take this... Do you have cash for your repository fees?
ME: No ma, but I have my card
(I proceeded to the ATM, made a withdrawal and paid)

Grateful for this thread, as it was very helpful in my preparation. Goodluck to everyone and see you in Trumpland.

GOD ALONE BE PRAISED!!!

Congratulations to you! What's your GPA and GRE score?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 2:51pm On Nov 02, 2019
riogrannde:
Yea it is.. I just need to get my funding right... i wish i had an idea

Look,if you had taken loans from prodigy or Mpower it is better off.The school is well ranked.

You could have answered to pay $40k is huge but it is worth it considering the school is ranked in top 50 nationally. He knows the ROI of such investment will be great following the fact that he has been investing in my education since high school.He knows the value of quality education.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:29pm On Nov 02, 2019
Pefuele:

Look,if you had taken loans from prodigy or Mpower it is better off.The school is well ranked.

You could have answered to pay $40k is huge but it is worth it considering the school is ranked in top 50 nationally. He knows the ROI of such investment will be great following the fact that he has been investing in my education since high school.He knows the value of quality education.

The law in the US is very different from Nigerian law so really how much ROI in that pathway.... going to a top ranked school doesn't always return high, the course also matters

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 5:17pm On Nov 02, 2019
LagosismyHome:

The law in the US is very different from Nigerian law so really how much ROI in that pathway.... going to a top ranked school doesn't always return high, the course also matters

I am not a law student I think he should answer how much he thinks that loan will help him if he goes that path. He is currently practicing law in Nigeria from his transcripsts but one thing I know is law is a pretty lucrative profession in the US. Whatever he wants to do with his career plans depends on him...

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 8:39pm On Nov 02, 2019
I think I will just request a bank statement from the organisation that offered to assist me initially. All I was given was sponsorship letter. Then I'll go back and try again. The issue I had was funding..

Pefuele:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 10:27pm On Nov 02, 2019
riogrannde:
I think I will just request a bank statement from the organisation that offered to assist me initially. All I was given was sponsorship letter. Then I'll go back and try again. The issue I had was funding..

You want to change sponsor from your uncle to an organization?If yes,be prepared for why change in sponsor? You can be lucky to get a VO that will over-look that since it is all about discretion. But you just need to be more prepared next time...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jafar2018: 12:10am On Nov 03, 2019
pls,can someone links me to Walspring for the payment of SEVIS FEES.
It is very urgent.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 6:07am On Nov 03, 2019
People who are in the US and still have time to post here and answer questions patiently are the real mvp’s
E no easy!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by riogrannde(m): 7:41am On Nov 03, 2019
I've always had an organisation sponsoring me on my i20. I just didn't have a bank statement to show for it

Pefuele:

You want to change sponsor from your uncle to an organization?If yes,be prepared for why change in sponsor? You can be lucky to get a VO that will over-look that since it is all about discretion. But you just need to be more prepared next time...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 8:09am On Nov 03, 2019
riogrannde:
I've always had an organisation sponsoring me on my i20. I just didn't have a bank statement to show for it

Oh ! Okay. U need to anticipate questions.If you are going this spring and you have changed sponsors in less than one or two months it can mean desperation.It can be a red flag.
If you were asked what has changed since your last Interview...be careful! Just be well prepared.
Also know the details of the organization.I guess the next VO will ask more questions on sponsor so be more prepared on it. Infact,know the number of employees in the company,what they do,their financial outlay....

(1) (2) (3) ... (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.