Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355534 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 11:31pm On Jun 13, 2019
Adedayo65:
Hello guys! If you are going for your interview tomorrow, do not fgt to wish your VO a happy AEMERICA’s FLAG DAY, who knows what May impress some of them lol

At the beginning or end? If it's at the beginning, the VO is wise enough to know that it's a strategy to start a good conversation...

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philtos: 11:44pm On Jun 13, 2019
Hi Family.

I have an I-20 from AAMU with no funding,(usually they don't give scholarship to international student except Graduate assistanship, and this, you can only get after you have secured your admission by proving that you have the funds to pay for one academic year) however I am expecting an admission from another School (BSU) with better funding opportunities but the school said it may take couple of weeks or more to get a decision.
1. Should i go ahead and pay my servis fee?
2. would it be possible to use a new I-20 after you pay visa fees?and how can I do that when I eventually get the desired admission?
3. I had applied for renewal of my Visa B1/B2 last year via drop box (2nd time using drop box) but i was asked to come for an Interview but i was denied(i think its because i just graduated from MSc here in Nija and i had no job yet). Would this affect my chances of getting a student Visa?
4. How can I defend why i am doing another MS in Food Science when i had just completed MSc degree in food technology in Nigeria?would this raise any question?

5. When is the earliest appointment date in Lagos and Abuja?

I need answers please.

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Munix(m): 11:46pm On Jun 13, 2019
Congratulations!
[quote author=sharwama post=79296325]SHARWAMA'S APPROVED VISA TRANSCRIPT.
Date: June 7, 2019
Venue: Lagos Consulate
Time:6:30 a.m
Gender of VO: Male
Window: I Didn't notice, I was blown away by his cuteness and jerry curl grin grin grin
Ok it was the second to last window, before the exit door.
I: (Smiling) Good morning sir
V.O: Good morning, please pass me your passport and your I-20.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:05am On Jun 14, 2019
If you have another school you are expecting funding from and you're willing to wait, you can pay your SEVIS fee on the AAMU i-20 now as it will be increased to $350 from June 24. So, when you get the i-20 with funding, you can transfer the SEVIS. You can also pay your visa fee, but if you'll be going to the embassy with the funded i-20, you may have to wait until you have the i-20 in hand, at least to be safe. (except you have all the details from the school you will need to schedule an appointment).

As for you recent B1/B2 refusal, well, it is very hard to predict what will happen when next you appear at the embassy for the F1 visa. But something tells me that should you not meet a consular that is understanding or you are unable to articulate yourself, career objectives, etc during the interview, the consular that'll interview you may make decision based in remark left in the system from the previous VO.

As for the last question, you're still going for a degree that is a twin of what you studied before. I like to advice people to make their own decision using available information and personal objective. Now, let's assume I am a consular, and I asked: Why are do you want to study this course? Why do you want to study food science when you already have an MS in food technology?. Seriously, why did you choose food science when you know you just completed an MS in food technology? I am sure you had your reasons, which I'd like you to share. It's your reason I'd like to see and assess--if it's worth it.
For Lagos consulate, you will see date from July 12 to ending of the month. All the dates in August are open.
Philtos:
Hi Family.

I have an I-20 from AAMU with no funding,(usually they don't give scholarship to international student except Graduate assistanship, and this, you can only get after you have secured your admission by proving that you have the funds to pay for one academic year) however I am expecting an admission from another School (BSU) with better funding opportunities but the school said it may take couple of weeks or more to get a decision.
1. Should i go ahead and pay my servis fee?
2. would it be possible to use a new I-20 after you pay visa fees?and how can I do that when I eventually get the desired admission?
3. I had applied for renewal of my Visa B1/B2 last year via drop box (2nd time using drop box) but i was asked to come for an Interview but i was denied(i think its because i just graduated from MSc here in Nija and i had no job yet). Would this affect my chances of getting a student Visa?
4. How can I defend why i am doing another MS in Food Science when i had just completed MSc degree in food technology in Nigeria?would this raise any question?

5. When is the earliest appointment date in Lagos and Abuja?

I need answers please.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 12:10am On Jun 14, 2019
Food science is different from food technology
fairheart:
If you have another school you are expecting funding from and you're willing to wait, you can pay your SEVIS fee on the AAMU i-20 now as it will be increased to $350 from June 24. So, when you get the i-20 with funding, you can transfer the SEVIS. You can also pay your visa fee, but if you'll be going to the embassy with the funded i-20, you may have to wait until you have the i-20 in hand, at least to be safe. (except you have all the details from the school you will need to schedule an appointment).

As for you recent B1/B2 refusal, well, it is very hard to predict what will happen when next you appear at the embassy for the F1 visa. But something tells me that should you not meet a consular that is understanding or you are unable to articulate yourself, career objectives, etc during the interview, the consular that'll interview you may make decision based in remark left in the system from the previous VO.

As for the last question, you're still going for a degree that is a twin of what you studied before. I like to advice people to make their own decision using available information and personal objective. Now, let's assume I am a consular, and I asked: Why are do you want to study this course? Why do you want to study food science when you already have an MS in food technology?. Seriously, why did you choose food science when you know you just completed an MS in food technology? I am sure you had your reasons, which I'd like you to share. It's your reason I'd like to see and assess--if it's worth it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:14am On Jun 14, 2019
Can you tell me the difference? I used "twin" to indicate it's closely related, and not necessarily the same in certain context. Food technology is a branch of food science. In fact, some schools offer food science and food technology as a single program.
segunbolawole:

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 12:17am On Jun 14, 2019
sharwama:

I don't know if you were giving me compliments or insulting me on top my approval grin grin grin
Compliments all the way. I want to be like you when I grow up. No insult intended at all.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:18am On Jun 14, 2019
You have got a good role model for yourself.
victree007:

Compliments all the way. I want to be like you when I grow up. No insult intended at all.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 12:22am On Jun 14, 2019
fairheart:
You have got a good role model for yourself.
Thanks man. Although I think you fit the part perfectly. You've been doing a really great job here.
Again, no insult intended @sister sharwama

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:26am On Jun 14, 2019
I am the king, she is the queen. Pick both and you'll have anything you wish for grin grin grin
This is funny.

victree007:

Thanks man. Although I think you fit the part perfectly.
Again, no insult intended @sister sharwama

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 12:46am On Jun 14, 2019
fairheart:
I am the king, she is the queen. Pick both and you'll have anything you wish for grin grin grin
This is funny.

Laughs. Now you've got me real good.
Ensure you don't share any secret between you two to me, because I will do well to inform her. As E be say two of una don be open book.
Pick one and get one free. By the way, my wish is to join the league of US visa holders grin

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:58am On Jun 14, 2019
cheesy cheesy cheesy Good to know you're laughing. There is no secret, my friend. I just find the light in her attractive. I am attracted to people who see the good in others. Being humane, you know? And if there is any book, be sure it is f1 visa book! I know you will get your name on it. cool
victree007:

Laughs. Now you've got me real good.
Ensure you don't share any secret between you two to me, because I will do well to inform her. As E be say two of una don be open book.
Pick one and get one free

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 1:57am On Jun 14, 2019
Stanmedix:
Do me. I am a doctor too
I have tried to contact you, I don’t know if what I did was a DM. Please check. I am learning to use the features on Nairaland.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:10am On Jun 14, 2019
segunbolawole:

Same difference ...... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 5:52am On Jun 14, 2019
segunbolawole:

Hello. Good morning. Please, I need clarifications on the following.

I already have my I-20 and sevis number but I do not understand what people mean when they talk about sevis fee/receipt?

Apart from the I-20, passport and Bank Statement, which other document(s) do I need to take along to the interview?

Thank you so much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 5:53am On Jun 14, 2019
justwise:
Welcome to part 15.

I really have to thank all the contributors for making out time to answer questions here, your contributions are appreciated.

Part 14 is here for reference purposes: https://www.nairaland.com/4672093/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part

You can also ask VO question in this thread started to help prospective students https://www.nairaland.com/2991174/u.s-student-visa-f1-m1

Part 11/12 Visa Transcripts. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vv0a0sfgaysztiq/AADbiS4UG7q57b0qcFPjaPkna?dl=0

F1 visa application link https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/study-exchange/student/

I'm open to more suggestions regarding any useful link to add to this page

Good luck!

I already have my I-20 and sevis number but I do not understand what people mean when they talk about sevis fee/receipt?

Apart from the I-20, passport and Bank Statement, which other document(s) do I need to take along to the interview?

Thank you so much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 5:54am On Jun 14, 2019
fairheart:

For Lagos consulate, you will see date from July 12 to ending of the month. All the dates in August are open.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 6:15am On Jun 14, 2019
Passion2009:

Thank you so much.
You're supposed to pay a sevis fee with your sevis number apart from your visa fee......$200
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 6:23am On Jun 14, 2019
Davidkking:

You're supposed to pay a sevis fee with your sevis number apart from your visa fee......$200

How will I pay that please? My interview is on Monday?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 6:27am On Jun 14, 2019
Passion2009:

What? shocked shocked shocked......why didn't you make all this inquiries on time?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Bjteensdes24: 6:27am On Jun 14, 2019
fairheart:
No, no. The price the guy paid is the black market price. If you go through the normal processing, it should be under 30K, but it could take more than a month. I don't know why, but these guys always have one or two reasons to justify the delay. So, if you want your passport the same day, within a week, the price may be more than 30K.
p
Thanks so much really really appreciate

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 6:28am On Jun 14, 2019
Davidkking:

What? shocked shocked shocked......why didn't you make all this inquiries on time?
Contact walspring or texrem to pay it for you.....it can't be paid in Nigeria.......or if you have anybody in US that can pay it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 6:41am On Jun 14, 2019
Davidkking:

Contact walspring or texrem to pay it for you.....it can't be paid in Nigeria.......or if you have anybody in US that can pay it
But it takes 3 days to reflect tho.....I don't know if Saturday's and Sunday's are included
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 6:56am On Jun 14, 2019
Passion2009:

Kindly contact @wellspring or Texrem ASAP.

You'll be turned back without your Sevis fee receipt.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 6:57am On Jun 14, 2019
Davidkking:

But it takes 3 days to reflect tho.....I don't know if Saturday's and Sunday's are included

I have a family that can help me pay it today via Western Union. I don't know if it will reflect before Monday.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 6:58am On Jun 14, 2019
Brown2Green:

Kindly contact @wellspring or Texrem ASAP.

You'll be turned back without your Sevis fee receipt.

Thank you. I have a family in the US that can help me pay it today via Western Union but will it reflect before Monday?
Which other documents do I need to take along for the interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 7:00am On Jun 14, 2019
Passion2009:

Thank you. I have a family in the US that can help me pay it today via Western Union but will it reflect before Monday?
Which other documents do I need to take along for the interview?

ITEMS to take to the Embassy
Confirmation page of both DS 160 and Visa Application
Sevis Fee Receipt
Visa Receipt
I 20
Passport ( all copies you ever had)
2 copies of passport ( exactly the one you used for your DS 160)
Your admission letter
Funding letters (if any)
Certificate/Transcript
Statement of Account ( Latest 6 Months)
Test report (GRE/TOEFL)

Others (Optional).
Study Leave
Pay Slip

It should reflect. Kindly do it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:34am On Jun 14, 2019
Ah! Monday? Better find someone who can pay today..
Passion2009:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by clapper04: 7:45am On Jun 14, 2019
sharwama:
SHARWAMA'S APPROVED VISA TRANSCRIPT.
Date: June 7, 2019
Venue: Lagos Consulate
Time:6:30 a.m
Gender of VO: Male
Window: I Didn't notice, I was blown away by his cuteness and jerry curl grin grin grin
Ok it was the second to last window, before the exit door.
I: (Smiling) Good morning sir
V.O: Good morning, please pass me your passport and your I-20.
I did and he was like "please push your passport a little bit further". I pushed it and asked, "is it okay now sir?"
VO: Yes it is. Why are you going to the US
I: (deep breath + killer smile) To uhm, pursue a masters degree in Biology, Biomedical Science Concentration at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City Tennessee.
V.O: Why this degree?
I: I really want to work as a research scientist at a renowned biomedical research Institute here in Nigeria. Unfortunately, a masters degree in Biology or a closely related field is the minimum requirement for such a position. So this degree would not just help me hone my research skills or build my critical thinking, it would qualify me for the position I really want, when I return.
V.O: So why did you pick this school?
I: (Gesticulating with magical hands) For me, it wasn't just about the generous funding I received, which I am extremely grateful for by the way, it had a lot more to do with the student-faculty relationship I have built with my potential supervisor, professor Burna boy. We Skyped a couple of times and we have chosen a thesis topic I am super excited about.
V.O: What other schools did you apply to?
I: I applied at Texas A&M University, Commerce
VO: uhum(while typing)
I: Cleveland State University Ohio and Kansas State University Manhattan Kansas.
VO: Have you travelled out of the country before?
I: I have not had the need to sir.
VO: Are you married
I: No sir
V.O: You said you have funding, let me see the evidence
I: My school did not give me an official letter but it's on the I-20(I pointed at the document so he looked at it)
V.O: Ok I see $9590 to be payed by someone ,who is this?
I: That's my mum sir
V.O: What does she do?
I: My mum is a business woman, she sells African fabrics and traditional bridal attires
V.O: Yes do you have any proof, I want to see evidence.
I was confused and he mentioned "or bank statement"
I: (Killer smile)Yes, with all pleasure. Just a moment please.
So I got the bank statement
V.O(while looking at the statement) Doesn't your mum have other children to sponsor in school?
I: (I never expected that question, so my English technically failed me, so I looked at him and answered) All of us have finished school, it remainder two of us.
I was so embarrassed about my grammatical blunder but I was glad he understood the point, we were all done with school except two of my siblings.
V.O: Ok, I will be approving your Visa. He hands me the white paper. Talked about pick up in three working days, gave me back my SOA and I-20, asked me to keep it carefully and I would need the latter at the port of entry... Told me to have a wonderful day
I: (Killer smile) Thank you and have a wonderful rest of the day too.
Yup, I bounced out of the building grin
THE END grin grin grin

congratulations ma'am

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 8:08am On Jun 14, 2019
You can visit https://www.fmjfee.com/ to print out your unique payment coupon. Though your school should have given you information about SEVIS payment. If your family pays through western union, it should reflect same day. Once they pay it, you go back to https://www.fmjfee.com/ , check your status and print your receipt.

Passion2009:

I have a family that can help me pay it today via Western Union. I don't know if it will reflect before Monday.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ibruks(m): 8:11am On Jun 14, 2019
Good evening guys, first of all, I want to apologize to you all, I went for my visa interview on Tuesday but I've been out of both data and electricity since then, due to the heavy rainfall in my area. I should have dropped this sooner.

VO : She said something (but I couldn't hear her, my ears were blocked, I guess due to fear)
Me: I just passed my documents to her
VO: Where are you going to? (with one yeye tiny voice)
Me: I'm going to Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, for my Master's program in Physics.
VO: Why are you going to Creighton?
Me: ...because the department offers concentration on astro-particle physics which is a fusion of 3 diff areas of physics, cosmology, astronomy and particle physics. I want to be one of the starting members of this group in Nigeria (this last sentence ehn, I don't know why I said it, I was planning to say some other things that'd answer 'why the course and what will the course do for you'). I was like, I don Bleep up, I'm not even sure I said those well, I think I wasn't audible enough.
VO: What will your research be about?
Me: Can you please repeat that? (She did) and I said "Dark Matter".
VO: Dark matter? (making one funny gesture and I said to myself, Game over, I should have said it In a better way)
VO: (After checking through my i20) I can see you have an assistantship, did you write any standardized test?
Me: Yes, I did. I wrote GRE.
VO: score please
Me: 308
VO: (Typed for like 30 seconds)... I have approved your visa, you can take it up after 3 working days.
Me: I actually still don't know what I said, I stammered and was shaking, I packed my documents and left.

Venue : Lagos Consulate
Time: 7:45am

I think the major reason why I got scared was that I never knew the interview would be kind of Open like that, I thought it was a kindaf private thing that i'd even sit. As I entered into the room, I was like waawu and got really scared.

Thank you all for your contribution. Thank you sir Brown2green and thank you so so much madam Solihp, you attended to 100% of my questions and I really appreciate that.

Congrats in advance to everybody else.

33 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.