Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,719 members, 7,802,167 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (402) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1353334 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Rabato: 9:57pm On Mar 09, 2020
fairheart:
This is a good offer, yes! How do you intend to pay the deficit? That is the first question that should come to mind? Will your sponsor be able the balance? Did you ask about graduate assistantship?

Yes I did boss, but the school has not responded yet.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by adurajoseph: 10:12pm On Mar 09, 2020
Hello, Please those who have recently applied for a visa, have you been getting accepted, because people I know have been getting rejected anyhow, and this makes me scared about my chances for a student visa.

and if you got please what do you think you did that got you the visa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 10:33pm On Mar 09, 2020
Were those people applying with public or private school? With scholarship or no scholarship? How about preparation? On this thread, we tell different stories o. Guys from here no dey sleep. I'd like to hear how their interview went. Thanks! They
adurajoseph:
Hello, Please those who have recently applied for a visa, have you been getting accepted, because people I know have been getting rejected anyhow, and this makes me scared about my chances for a student visa.

and if you got please what do you think you did that got you the visa.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:44pm On Mar 09, 2020
Rabato:

Boss good evening, please how do you see this offer. Partial scholarship worth $25000 out of $52k from Stevens Institute of Technology na d also the school a asking me to pay $500 deposit to secure my seat.

Some of those East coast private uni will just be calling price more than the value they bring... 52k before board and food na wa.. but na their way

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Rabato: 10:47pm On Mar 09, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Some of those East coast private uni will just be calling price more than the value they bring... 52k before board and food na wa.. but na their way

Abeg I no fit laugh, the thing wey tire me na the $500 deposit, me wey dey find funding. If I pay $500 where I go see SEVIS fee money. But the offer no bad
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:53pm On Mar 09, 2020
Rabato:

Abeg I no fit laugh, the thing wey tire me na the $500 deposit, me wey dey find funding. If I pay $500 where I go see SEVIS fee money. But the offer no bad

$500 is chicken change to 52k grin... for you to target that school I trust you have a trust fund of millions
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 09, 2020
Rabato:

Lol...if you have better offers elsewhere just go for it. That tuition is quite high even with the scholarship.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 10:55pm On Mar 09, 2020
lols.
LagosismyHome:

$500 is chicken change to 52k grin... for you to target that school I trust you have a trust fund of millions
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Rabato: 11:26pm On Mar 09, 2020
LagosismyHome:

My sister money no dey anywhere o!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AfonjaBoston: 1:11am On Mar 10, 2020
This is why i love this country.
If you are good the system will fight for you.

Forbes: Judge Slaps Down USCIS In Significant H-1B Visa Court Case.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2020/03/09/judge-slaps-down-uscis-in-significant-h-1b-visa-court-case/

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 1:54am On Mar 10, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Maami that's a very good school. Yes, the tuition is high but the value they give is just as high as the tuition.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ponpon(m): 5:30am On Mar 10, 2020
I did
jteena:
kindly ignore
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tbenee: 5:37am On Mar 10, 2020
Hello house, please I have this funny question. On ds160 form, if you’re married; do they ask for spouses location and address? I know they ask for the spouse name. Pls can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks y’all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jteena: 8:11am On Mar 10, 2020
Cocao:

You are trying to ruin someone's reputation and all you can say is kindly ignore.

Kindly kee you there. Better goan delete that comment
so sending an email that I need help registering for GRE means ruining someone's reputation. Do you even have common sense of reasoning?. Or is dis ponpon using anoda account .
Cos I DNT rly get wat is happening.This is a faceless forum, I'm not here to fight or argue. Being polite with my response doesn't mean I can't issue you the insults you deserve.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Musbeni(m): 8:44am On Mar 10, 2020
Please people help me to criticize my proposed visa transcript

1 VO: What is your study plan/ what are you going for in the USA
Me: I am going to USA for doctoral degree in chemistry at the university of south Carolina. The program is expected to run for 5years and I will be offering 60hours in total. 15 hours in first year.
2 VO: What are the courses you will be offering
Me: CHM 711, CHM 703, CHM 752, CHM 735
3 VO: How did you hear about the school
Me: I search for schools that match my interest through educational sites especially usnews.com and UofSC came up as one of the best. This prompt me to go to their site to get more information about them by checking their requirements, the current research going on there. Having satisfied with what I saw, I decided to apply.
4 VO: How many school did you apply to.
Me: 3
5 VO: name them
Me: university of south Carolina, Louisiana state university and University of Idaho.
6 VO: how many admit you
Me: 2
7 VO: why did you chose USC
Me: I chose USC because the school give me full funding; TA, tuition waiver and generous stipends. Also research of one faculty member there prof..... aligned intimately with my research interest in environmental chemistry. My undergraduate project was on preparation and characterization of locust been pud as an adsorbent for removal of dye and heavy metal from industrial effluent.
8 VO: what us your highest qualification
Me: B.tech/ B.sc
9 VO: so you are going straight to PhD
Me: yes
10 VO: Who is funding your study
Me: the program is fully funded by my department with tuition waiver, TA and generous stipends
11 VO: how did you get this funding
Me: admission committee took a holistic review of my application file which included my UG GPA, test scores, statement of purpose and find me qualified to receive a TA.
12 VO: did you do any test
Me: yes, GRE and TOEFL
13 VO: what is your GRE score
Me: 307
14 VO: are you married
Me: no but engaged
15 VO: is she coming with you
Me: no
16 VO: what is your plan after study
Me: I plan to come back to Nigeria to take up a job as a lecturer in my alma mata and also serve as a consultant to some companies
17 VO: when did you finished your b.sc
Me: 2015
18 VO: what have you been doing
Me: I went for my nysc in 2017 and take up a role as a chemistry teacher in a private secondary school in 2018, after which I move to another school in 2019
19 VO: who is an environmental chemist
Me: an environmental chemist is a chemist that make use of analytical instruments to determine the presence of hazardous chemical in environment and provide solution for its eradication.
cc pefuele, faurheart, Lagos is my home

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 9:35am On Mar 10, 2020
Yes, you must add spouse name and other information.
tbenee:
Hello house, please I have this funny question. On ds160 form, if you’re married; do they ask for spouses location and address? I know they ask for the spouse name. Pls can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks y’all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 9:38am On Mar 10, 2020

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jteena: 9:59am On Mar 10, 2020
fairheart:
You can issue an insult like a cheque? No start a fight you can't finish o grin grin! If you are the one that says the Ponpon defrauded someone, go and make amend, or provide fact. That's what she's saying. Nobody is here to fight!
did ponpon come here to tell you that I accused him of any crime. The person u r even defending is nt saying anything. Be mature enough to mind your business. I don't know who you are fighting with here.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 10:03am On Mar 10, 2020
I guess there is mix up. Please unquote my last comment.
jteena:
did ponpon come here to tell you that I accused him of any crime. The person u r even defending is nt saying anything. Be mature enough to mind your business. I don't know who you are fighting with here.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SilentPistol: 11:56am On Mar 10, 2020
Hey guys,

I see a few people here applying for courses that would barely provide opportunities here in a bid to just leave Nigeria.

I understand we all have our goals and aspirations. However, If you’re paying out of your pocket, I’m not sure a Master’s degree in Biology, Public Administration & co. puts you in the best position of opportunities here in the USA. Even if you aren’t, you may need to have a rethink and properly strategize.

Arriving the US is only the beginning. You’ll need internship(s) at some point. You’ll need a job at some point. And as we all know, things are getting more & more stringent.

To work full time, you’ll need to find a company that’s willing to file a H1-B petition for you & that does not come easy, especially in non-competitive fields. It can even be very challenging finding a company that would let you use your OPT as work authorization.

If you also think you can arrive the US, get married to some citizen within a few months & have your work authorization, please have a rethink & do your due diligence. Every PR filing now has to be accompanied by a I944 (Declaration of self sufficiency) & this document has been designed to easily detect sham marriages & reduce number of qualified applicants.

It’s better paying through your nose for decent courses in engineering (Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical), IT, select management sciences, than being fully funded in Biology, Public Administration, etc. You won’t understand the implications till you’re stuck & forced to start all over. Look for cheap schools & do something that would afford you a lot of opportunities.

A word is enough for the wise.

13 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mikeayus(m): 1:02pm On Mar 10, 2020
SilentPistol:
Hey guys,

I see a few people here applying for courses that would barely provide opportunities here in a bid to just leave Nigeria.

I understand we all have our goals and aspirations. However, If you’re paying out of your pocket, I’m not sure a Master’s degree in Biology, Public Administration & co. puts you in the best position of opportunities here in the USA. Even if you aren’t, you may need to have a rethink and properly strategize.

Arriving the US is only the beginning. You’ll need internship(s) at some point. You’ll need a job at some point. And as we all know, things are getting more & more stringent.

To work full time, you’ll need to find a company that’s willing to file a H1-B petition for you & that does not come easy, especially in non-competitive fields. It can even be very challenging finding a company that would let you use your OPT as work authorization.

If you also think you can arrive the US, get married to some citizen within a few months & have your work authorization, please have a rethink & do your due diligence. Every PR filing now has to be accompanied by a I944 (Declaration of self sufficiency) & this document has been designed to easily detect sham marriages & reduce number of qualified applicants.

It’s better paying through your nose for decent courses in engineering (Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical), IT, select management sciences, than being fully funded in Biology, Public Administration, etc. You won’t understand the implications till you’re stuck & forced to start all over. Look for cheap schools & do something that would afford you a lot of opportunities.

Well said..but please shed more light on the point you made about getting a company that would let you use OPT as work authorization.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by RealTrump: 1:25pm On Mar 10, 2020
gbadmos:
@RealTrump

Please I sent you a pm.

Yesterday, I already quoted u somewhere and gave my WhatsApp. I don't have access to the email I used to open this account. You can drop a means of reaching u.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 2:02pm On Mar 10, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 2:08pm On Mar 10, 2020
Good write up, however, I don't think it is as easy as you are presenting it to be. You also have to understand that unless someone is just starting their academic journey at the undergraduate level, the advice might not be for everyone. For people seeking graduate admission, we all have our different undergraduate background, qualifications and prerequisites. So not everybody can just wake up and say they want to do engineering courses and selected courses in management science. For example, I don't think someone who studied Chemical engineering as an undergraduate will just opt to go for a biology or public administration master's. Likewise, I don't think someone with an arts, humanities or administration background can navigate themselves into a graduate study in engineering. If you have a way around it, you can as well share. I know a lot of people here think about like in the US after studies including the success of getting a H1-B Visa, following your defined 'ideal pathway' might not be easy for some
SilentPistol:
Hey guys,

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2020
Your Transcripts is good but you are talking too much.
What is your plan after study?
You want to lecture in your Alma Mata and be consultants to some *companies*. Which companies?
Know the break down of the GRE score and the date you took the test.

You may be asked what did you write in your SOP?
If you have mentioned full ride funding from USC earlier the VO may not ask who is funding your study again.

Only say one: either btech or Bsc. It shows you know what you are saying.

Musbeni:
Please people help me to criticize my proposed visa transcript

1 VO: What is your study plan/ what are you going for in the USA
Me: I am going to USA for doctoral degree in chemistry at the university of south Carolina. The program is expected to run for 5years and I will be offering 60hours in total. 15 hours in first year.
2 VO: What are the courses you will be offering
Me: CHM 711, CHM 703, CHM 752, CHM 735
3 VO: How did you hear about the school
Me: I search for schools that match my interest through educational sites especially usnews.com and UofSC came up as one of the best. This prompt me to go to their site to get more information about them by checking their requirements, the current research going on there. Having satisfied with what I saw, I decided to apply.
4 VO: How many school did you apply to.
Me: 3
5 VO: name them
Me: university of south Carolina, Louisiana state university and University of Idaho.
6 VO: how many admit you
Me: 2
7 VO: why did you chose USC
Me: I chose USC because the school give me full funding; TA, tuition waiver and generous stipends. Also research of one faculty member there prof..... aligned intimately with my research interest in environmental chemistry. My undergraduate project was on preparation and characterization of locust been pud as an adsorbent for removal of dye and heavy metal from industrial effluent.
8 VO: what us your highest qualification
Me: B.tech/ B.sc
9 VO: so you are going straight to PhD
Me: yes
10 VO: Who is funding your study
Me: the program is fully funded by my department with tuition waiver, TA and generous stipends
11 VO: how did you get this funding
Me: admission committee took a holistic review of my application file which included my UG GPA, test scores, statement of purpose and find me qualified to receive a TA.
12 VO: did you do any test
Me: yes, GRE and TOEFL
13 VO: what is your GRE score
Me: 307
14 VO: are you married
Me: no but engaged
15 VO: is she coming with you
Me: no
16 VO: what is your plan after study
Me: I plan to come back to Nigeria to take up a job as a lecturer in my alma mata and also serve as a consultant to some companies
17 VO: when did you finished your b.sc
Me: 2015
18 VO: what have you been doing
Me: I went for my nysc in 2017 and take up a role as a chemistry teacher in a private secondary school in 2018, after which I move to another school in 2019
19 VO: who is an environmental chemist
Me: an environmental chemist is a chemist that make use of analytical instruments to determine the presence of hazardous chemical in environment and provide solution for its eradication.

cc pefuele, faurheart, Lagos is my home

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Janet200: 3:43pm On Mar 10, 2020
SilentPistol:
Hey guys,

Life comes with different phase, staying in Naija as a graduate is not easy, don’t associate yourself with failure, people did not make it does not means I will not make it, there is a million reason why the person fail. I have never seen a Naija student that travel to the United States for studies and go back to Nigeria except those that their family already lay a huge position waiting for them. People have been here thru academics and got their residency via H1B. And lastly no course in the United States is useless, know what you study and be good at it, you will get multiple offers. Stop trying to discourage people, instead motivate them.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Musbeni(m): 6:39pm On Mar 10, 2020
Pefuele:
Your Transcripts is good but you are talking too much.
What is your plan after study?
You want to lecture in your Alma Mata and be consultants to some *companies*. Which companies?
Know the break down of the GRE score and the date you took the test.

You may be asked what did you write in your SOP?
If you have mentioned full ride funding from USC earlier the VO may not ask who is funding your study again.

Only say one: either btech or Bsc. It shows you know what you are saying.

thanks boss, I will make amendment
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 8:18pm On Mar 10, 2020
SilentPistol:
Hey guys,

Any data to support this assertion?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 9:23pm On Mar 10, 2020
Musbeni:
thanks boss, I will make amendment

Ok.Good-luck
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electromagnito: 6:33am On Mar 11, 2020
guy i need advice, i just recently got a phd offer in hongkong but i still await decision from clemson university, and two schools in germany... here is my fear, my supervisor in hongkong has done alot to secure all possible fund for me, what should i do if i get admitted by clemson or the two germasn university... note i am in france and i feel hongkong is backward for me
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:25am On Mar 11, 2020
electromagnito:
guy i need advice, i just recently got a phd offer in hongkong but i still await decision from clemson university, and two schools in germany... here is my fear, my supervisor in hongkong has done alot to secure all possible fund for me, what should i do if i get admitted by clemson or the two germasn university... note i am in france and i feel hongkong is backward for me

It's always great to have options like these, so if the Prof. hasn't given you any deadline, you can reach out to those other schools prior to reaching a decision. Hongkong is cool Bro. Always see opportunities like these as means to an end, and not the end itself. So you shouldn't view Hongkong as a backward step to France. Life no even easy for France sef...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 11, 2020
Hey Guys do you y’all think the recent epidemic could delay fall entrance?

(1) (2) (3) ... (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.