Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,933 members, 7,799,154 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (473) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1352121 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shuayb0(m): 12:24pm On Jun 04, 2020
JadePrincess:

They told me outrightly no funding for data science. I’m even thinking of deferring the admission.

I am still holding on to Texas Tech. Hoping to get funding on campus after I register/resume.

I’m still hoping ETSU, NCAT and Oakland come through.

Same here.

I was told both colleges of business doesn’t offer assistantships.

Deferring is the next option and applying for spring to schools with affordable tuition with or without funding.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Princekenuk: 3:52pm On Jun 04, 2020
Please I will advise you to continue with Chemistry for now. The field is hot cake, you can easily get admission and funding. It'll pay you. Consider the hurdles of funding and visa interview on career switch. Go for Ms Chemistry for now. When you get to the states, you make the switch by going for a second Ms program in data science.

Fabuloski:

Thank God I saw you.
I am also a graduate of Chemistry currently undergoing my NYSC, batch20A.

The problem is I don't desire to further in Chemistry anymore but rather in data analysis. I have started trying myself in this field but I have no real field experience.

My concerns is will I be admitted in the US or won't that be a problem for me in the embassy and won't it affect my chances of getting full fully scholarship?
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 4:04pm On Jun 04, 2020
tarantino1:

Thanks man.

How was the exam like?

It had four sections: Reading, Writing, Maths without Calculator and Maths with Calculator, with breaks after Reading and Maths without Calculator.
I also took the Optional Writing section, because it was required for some of the schools I was planning to apply to.
The exam itself was exactly how it is in the Official SAT book, on the same level of difficulty.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AdoChel(f): 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2020
Okay.. I'm not sure I understand this. Please could you kindly expatiate?

Thank you.

Predstan:

Ssn, background check. Doesnt matter if its online or physical. SSN and background check/report is the real deal
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Futuragetty: 6:55pm On Jun 04, 2020
drDoom3:

It had four sections: Reading, Writing, Maths without Calculator, and Maths with Calculator, with breaks after Reading and Maths without Calculator.
I also took the Optional Writing section, because it was required for some of the schools I was planning to apply to.
The exam itself was exactly how it is in the Official SAT book, on the same level of difficulty.

this reminds me of December 7th SAT Test.
That day I was working at a slower pace than normal.

@Micholo_____ Practise with time.
******* Don't stay too long trying to crack a question.
every minute, every second, matter.

@drDoom3___ What's your essay point?
check your inbox, I left you a message.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DeadWrong: 7:43pm On Jun 04, 2020
priscai:

Yes I have.

Hello, I received your PM. I no longer have access to the email I used in registering my NL account. I hope all is well.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shams040(m): 1:33am On Jun 05, 2020
Dear All,

Please as anyone gotten a Ph.D offer with funding without GRE here before?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by teepee4Him(m): 4:01am On Jun 05, 2020
JadePrincess:
Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for your contribution on this platform.

This is where I am at:

I got admission into 6 US universities.

Please.

Thank you.

Congrats. My advice if you cannot afford a semester's tuition
1. If possible, get your visa this year and defer till spring 2021 or even Fall.
2. After deferring, start getting in touch with Professors for Assistantship (GA, TA, GPTI) or any similar position that will waive most of your tuition and pay you a stipend. If you can get admission into 6 Universities, I'm sure you can get Assistantship if you put in more efforts and talk to the right people.

On the other hand, if you can cough out a semester's tuition, proceed to TTU or NCA&T, you'll most likely get a TA or GA after your first year.

Best wishes!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 05, 2020
shams040:
Dear All,

Please as anyone gotten a Ph.D offer with funding without GRE here before?

You need GRE
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tosin18: 7:12am On Jun 05, 2020
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2020/06/03/house-gop-immigration-letter-backs-opt-for-international-students/

There is an ongoing engagement with White House not to cancel OPT and one of the considerations is to ensure that the US still continues getting revenues from International students. I also looks like they might open the embassies very soon. Please let's be hopeful. All the best.

The Honorable Mike Pompeo
U.S. Department of State
Office of the Secretary
Washington, D.C. 20520
The Honorable Chad Wolf
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Office of the Secretary
Washington, D.C. 20528

Dear Secretary Pompeo and Acting Secretary Wolf:
We write to request your help in ensuring our nation’s ability to attract, educate, and engage with
the best and brightest students and scholars from across the world. In furtherance of the goal, we
ask your agencies adopt appropriately streamlined processes to ensure international students can
enroll in the fall and preserve the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, which allows our
country to globally compete for market share of international students.
International students and their families contributed approximately $41 billion to our national
economy in 2018-2019 alone. The endurance of this tremendous economic contribution requires
our nation adopt and retain policies that keeps the United States competitive for new students
and provides continuity of education for those students and faculty who have already been part
of our higher education communities. While international students make up only 5.5 percent of
overall U.S. college enrollments, they make significant contributions to our communities and
help our students develop skills vital to their future success in the global economy. With the
global closure of U.S. embassies and consulates, international students have been unable to
schedule visa appointments. College and universities face a potential 25 percent decline in
international student enrollment for the fall 2020 term.
Our higher education institutions and communities are preparing for the possible reopening of
their campuses and are in need of clarity as they work to advise students and faculty, allocate
critical resources, and maintain continuity of education and research. To that end, we urge your
respective departments to communicate and share plans to address the expected increase in
demand for visa services, including how U.S. consulates will be able to prioritize and process
applications that include F-1 and J-1 visas. We believe several options are available to your
agencies including the ability to waive certain interview requirements, prioritize the rescheduling
of appointments that were canceled during COVID-19, and create a timely application and
renewal process for professors, researchers, scientists, and those that are needed on U.S.
campuses when instruction is expected to resume. We further request your agencies coordinate
the admission of medical residents and fellows on J-1 and H-1B visas scheduled to begin their
training program on July 1, many of whom will make vital contributions at university hospitals.
Without these residents and fellows, patient care will be disrupted. Additionally, we urge the administration to publicly clarify that OPT will remain fully intact so
we send the right messages abroad about the U.S. as an attractive destination for international
students. As countries like Canada, the United Kingdom, China and Australia bolster
immigration policies to attract and retain international students, the last thing our nation should
do in this area is make ourselves less competitive by weakening OPT. The program is essential
to the many international students who desire not just to study in the U.S. but also have a post
completion training experience.
We are also aware that some nations may seek to exploit certain international student programs
for their benefit, against our national interests, and against the spirit of research in American
universities. We believe there are strategic and targeted approaches to combatting those practices
without weakening or suspending in full our international student programs. We look forward to
working with you on those solutions.
We stand ready to work with your offices to ensure U.S. visa and immigration policies function
well for all who are looking to contribute to the excellence of the U.S. higher education and
research system and respectfully request the administration make clear international students and
scholars are encouraged to study and conduct research. These policies are critical to the national
interest.
We look forward to your response and urge expediency as our nation begins to reopen and
colleges and universities begin to plan for the upcoming academic year. Thank you for the
consideration of this request.
Sincerely,

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Snakedoctor1: 8:15am On Jun 05, 2020
What is the earliest interview date anyone has secured for Falls resumprion, waiting for the embassy to reopen ? I could only get November 3.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AyeBos1: 10:56am On Jun 05, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
What is the earliest interview date anyone has secured for Falls resumprion, waiting for the embassy to reopen ? I could only get November 3.

I am still getting that “there are currently no appointments available”. How did you book yours? I am also going for Falls 2020.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 12:16pm On Jun 05, 2020
I think everyone hoping to resume this fall should email their Graduate program coordinators to give them an update on the situation of visa applications in the country. And also ask for possible alternatives they have in place for students who might not be able to make it for fall 20.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Justochi: 12:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
Snakedoctor1:

Baba, I am secured for Fall resumption too. Please, how did you come to get a date? I can only see "there are currently no appointments available" on my application/appointment page.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Digbick: 3:03pm On Jun 05, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
Is the visa application portal open for booking of date for interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
Good evening.

I want to ask about the procedure of pursuing a nursing degree in the US. I don’t have a background in Science. I am a graduate of History. I want to know if it is possible to switch career paths. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mayDtolu(m): 7:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
Fabuloski:

wow, I thought there are scholarships that covered everything, the health insurance and the likes? This is disheartening, but it begs the question, those guys that came from not so financially buoyant family, how did they do it?

Msc OR Phd abroad is a journey that requires some funds even If you will be considered for GA/TA position because you will need money for GRE,TOEFL and to apply to schools of your choice and after gaining admission, You will need Visa fee,flight fee and money to spend for a month over there before you start receiving your monthly stipends

It's a journey that requires time and funds but you can take each step after the other....

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AdoChel(f): 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Hi everyone,

Please is there anyone here who is currently at UW-Madison or hoping to resume there this fall?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
Good day y’all. I’m Adegbola, a Nigerian. I recently got admitted to Howard university for fall 20, class of 2024. I got the Capstone scholarship at Howard which is a $26k (i.e tuition and fees). However, based on financial barriers I can afford pay for the accommodation. I’m hereby seeking help from anyone who lives or or knows anyone that lives in Washington D.C or Maryland that could accommodate me for a first year (freshman year) such that in upcoming years I can apply for external scholarships and also work some jobs to get funding. Thanks as you help out.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by oluezekiel(m): 12:30am On Jun 06, 2020
Most times, RA positions pay all of your charges including the health insurance and other fees with higher monthly stipends than TA positions.

Fabuloski:

wow, I thought there are scholarships that covered everything, the health insurance and the likes? This is disheartening, but it begs the question, those guys that came from not so financially buoyant family, how did they do it?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chemical2(m): 5:59am On Jun 06, 2020
AdoChel:
Hi everyone,

Please is there anyone here who is currently at UW-Madison or hoping to resume there this fall?

I currently attend UW-Madison.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:13am On Jun 06, 2020
Adegbola08:
Good day y’all. I’m Adegbola, a Nigerian. I recently got admitted to Howard university for fall 20, class of 2024. I got the Capstone scholarship at Howard which is a $26k (i.e tuition and fees). However, based on financial barriers I can afford pay for the accommodation. I’m hereby seeking help from anyone who lives or or knows anyone that lives in Washington D.C or Maryland that could accommodate me for a first year (freshman year) such that in upcoming years I can apply for external scholarships and also work some jobs to get funding. Thanks as you help out.

Congrats on Capstone but what you are looking for is almost impossible to find. Rarely does anyone house a stranger and then a stranger for free and then for one year....... DC is expensive so who will agree to house you for free there

Best to come up with a better plan, ie get a loan initially and hope to find an on campus job when you get there to help cover room and board

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jubrilx3: 7:12am On Jun 06, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Congrats on Capstone but what you are looking for is almost impossible to find. Rarely does anyone house a stranger and then a stranger for free and then for one year....... DC is expensive so who will agree to house you for free there

Best to come up with a better plan, ie get a loan initially and hope to find an on campus job when you get there to help cover room and board

Guy, one year is much . Can you do it?
At least creat A good impression of having the first two month shared appartment rent, afterwards if you get a job or if you do not get @least you have a room mates that will understand. After four month I believe you should be ok.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gynnie: 7:23am On Jun 06, 2020
Good morning, I will like to know if one can start booking for interview appointment
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Saintbado(m): 8:09am On Jun 06, 2020
Adegbola08:
Hello bro, keep on searching. My friend had tuition and fees scholarship too with no money for accommodation and feeding but God came through. He was able to talk to a ghanian guy in the city that he found on Instagram and that one agreed for my friend to come stay with him (he didn't even stay with him eventually). If your School is in a college city, you have better chances. If there's/there are other schools in the same city as Howard, try to look up their international students page on IG and send some persons DM. Don't go straight to asking them accommodation straight, try to be friendly with them first for at least 2 weeks. Also where my friend got accommodation for 2 weeks before he moved out to his apartment with money from small small hustles he made is with an NGO for international students. Most people don't know this but there are NGOs focusing on welcoming international students into their communities and a good number of this provides free accommodation with host families until you're able to stand on your feet. Try to search them on Facebook with phrases like "Maryland international student community" and keep rephrasing them till you'd probably guess the name. He's been living fine now, even got a scholarship.

Good luck .

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.