Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (508) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355853 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2020
greenskittles:
I'll eventually have to ask my supervisor himself but I'd like to hear opinions please. I was admitted for a masters with a fellowship, including both tuition and living expenses. During my interview my supervisor made it clear, he wants "no work" for me for my first three quarters so I can focus on studying, and then contingent on my performance, I'll join him in research as an RA for my second year.

Now with these new rules and all, if I have to take classes in Nigeria do you think it's possible I get paid my fellowship stipend here? Since if I was in the US I wouldn't have to work either. I browsed through the department website and apparently cheques are paid to the address listed in my student portal every two weeks (if I was in the US). The only available fact I have now is that the President of the University assured all students who've been offered financial aid in any form that the University will honor their promises in spite of COVID-19. But there's no assurance of that with deferring and they'd have to check with the specific office that offered them aid if they defer.

So my question, has anybody here ever had this happen to them before? Or at least were in Nigeria receiving remote payment for work? What do I need to do to successfully receive the money *if* this is possible?

I really don't want to defer because I'm in it for the long haul, I expect to be at this school for the next 5 years because I'm pursuing a PhD, and would like to get the coursework out of the way as soon as possible. So I really want to know if I could get paid, because studying without any income is not possible for me, I'd have to get a job which would mean deferring.

Since it’s a fellowship, you will get paid regardless of your location, so long as you’re registered and taking classes. No worries there... the only problem maybe whether you need a social security number in order to be paid.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 4:52pm On Jul 11, 2020
No. I'm not really sure I would have been interested since there is a slight chance these guys may not have even contained this stuff by then. The number of cases crossed 70,000 yesterday, a new peak. And I really wanna have enough time to explore other things like a new job or other opportunities.

sonofakin:
No spring 2021 option?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 5:04pm On Jul 11, 2020
TWoods:

Since it’s a fellowship, you will get paid regardless of your location, so long as you’re registered and taking classes. No worries there... the only problem maybe whether you need a social security number in order to be paid.
I see! Thanks, this sounds encouraging. I was already starting to play out different worst case scenarios in my head. I emailed my supervisor but he hasn't replied yet and I know it's probably because the department is in panic mode right now, so I'll have to wait and see what he says. I don't have an SSN but I do have an TIN from when I lived in the US as a child. My dad was on a non immigrant work visa for quite some time. Do you think that can help?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 5:05pm On Jul 11, 2020
kastgeraldino:
No. I'm not really sure I would have been interested since there is a slight chance these guys may not have even contained this stuff by then. The number of cases crossed 70,000 yesterday, a new peak. And I really wanna have enough time to explore other things like a new job or other opportunities.

Apart from that, there's also a possibility that the same courses won't be available in that quarter/semester. For example the courses I'm supposed to take this fall are only offered once a year, so deferring will mean waiting a whole year.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2020
As well as a US bank account. Most schools don't budge on that.

TWoods:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 5:14pm On Jul 11, 2020
kastgeraldino:

Another question should be will the virus situation in Nigeria be okay for US government to allow Nigerians travel into the US? If you have the option of Spring, I believe you should consider it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 5:35pm On Jul 11, 2020
arcTY:
Good morning house,
please how months or years does it take for the sevis fee to expire if an F1 student is yet to leave his/her country?

SEVIS FEE lasts for just 1 years to expire
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 5:39pm On Jul 11, 2020
Kimzylove:
Hello house, concerning letter of recommendation for someone using WAEC GCE will it be right to get LOR from the center you wrote the exam or go back to your secondary school?

See!! Anyhow person cannot recommend you for admission, as undergraduate you are your recommenders should be your secondary school teachers who can testify to your previous academic performances and recommend you for the admission.
Is this clear
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 5:45pm On Jul 11, 2020
Eniolakiite:
Great news!!!

Yea reopening of US embassies will be one after the other. Let’s hope Nigeria falls in line soon.

But my concern is NCDC daily reports about this Covid-19 ooo, because some countries have restricting Nigerians as result of increase in Covid-19 every day o
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 6:21pm On Jul 11, 2020
Sanguine1:

But my concern is NCDC daily reports about this Covid-19 ooo, because some countries have restricting Nigerians as result of increase in Covid-19 every day o
our case is relatively better than those European countries and western nations...it doesn't just make sense factually why we should be hindered only if they think that generally it isn't being handled generally...Africa as a whole accounts only 0.5% thereabout of the total deaths worldwide and about 1-3% of total case worldwide. We are generally doing better than other regions of the world for reason I can't really tell
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2020
Well, you're looking at it from a logical angle. I'm very sure they won't approach it in that manner. There are other factors that would definitely color their view of how Africa is handling it.

mvem:
our case is relatively better than those European countries and western nations...it doesn't just make sense factually why we should be hindered only if they think that generally it isn't being handled generally...Africa as a whole accounts only 0.5% thereabout of the total deaths worldwide and about 1-3% of total case worldwide. We are generally doing better than other regions of the world for reason I can't really tell
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 6:44pm On Jul 11, 2020
mvem:

Our case appears relatively better than the countries in the west because we have a far lower testing capacity. Not fewer infections.

Whether they factor this in or not is their decision. We can only hope for the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 6:45pm On Jul 11, 2020
TWoods:

This doesn’t make sense. If going to work to help defray part of your tuition costs and support your family is why you want to get a visa, couldn’t the VO tell you it’s better to stay in Nigeria and study online then? It’s cheaper, you avoid additional housing costs and you can work full time since there are no work restrictions in your home country.

You should come up with better arguments

Nooo am I going to tell VO this ooo, am only telling you my guys here ni o
Geewin69:

Our case appears relatively better than the countries in the west because we have a far lower testing capacity. Not fewer infections.

Whether they factor this in or not is their decision. We can only hope for the best.
TWoods:

This doesn’t make sense. If going to work to help defray part of your tuition costs and support your family is why you want to get a visa, couldn’t the VO tell you it’s better to stay in Nigeria and study online then? It’s cheaper, you avoid additional housing costs and you can work full time since there are no work restrictions in your home country.

You should come up with better arguments

Nooo I am not going to tell VO this ooo, am only telling you my guys here ni o
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 6:50pm On Jul 11, 2020
Apart from NCDC report and official numbers. Nigeria and Nigerian Government will still be a factor. My guess is that there is something odd somewhere. They won't reopen here if the Nigerian government did not give them go ahead. Look at the case of UK Visa, TLS offices have either opened or already scheduled to open in some African countries like South Africa whose official numbers is like six times worse than Nigeria. The only thing Nigerian UK Visa hopeful got was only a promise from the UK ambassador to Nigeria that they will open soon. Also, VAC office is Ghana has reopened since, Canada hopefuls here are still waiting.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 7:15pm On Jul 11, 2020
Geewin69:

what of deaths?...fewer testing won't help in deaths for if thousands are dying the health centers will be overwhelmed and it would be obvious we have a health crisis which is not happening after several months now
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 7:19pm On Jul 11, 2020
kastgeraldino:
Well, you're looking at it from a logical angle. I'm very sure they won't approach it in that manner. There are other factors that would definitely color their view of how Africa is handling it.

some months ago western media reported that covid 19 will ravage Africa because we are poor and have bad health facilities...but months later it is not what is being seen. Now many are marveled and WHO claims that Africa low death rate is due to us having one of the youngest population in the world as Nigeria and other African countries have more than 60% of their population less than 30 unlike other regions of the world. So they say because Covid kills more of the old so that favours us. Also we have had several epidemics over the years which might have favoured us in many ways both biologically and so on...my point is initially they predicted doom for Africa

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 7:29pm On Jul 11, 2020
greenskittles:

I see! Thanks, this sounds encouraging. I was already starting to play out different worst case scenarios in my head. I emailed my supervisor but he hasn't replied yet and I know it's probably because the department is in panic mode right now, so I'll have to wait and see what he says. I don't have an SSN but I do have an TIN from when I lived in the US as a child. My dad was on a non immigrant work visa for quite some time. Do you think that can help?

You should be fine with an ITIN.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 7:30pm On Jul 11, 2020
kastgeraldino:
As well as a US bank account. Most schools don't budge on that.

Not really. They can always mail him a paycheck for him to cash however he likes.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 8:29pm On Jul 11, 2020
An angle...

I also think it's not about total number of cases in each country, the question of "are cases increasing or declining in this place?" is also important. Cases in Nigeria are increasing on a daily. Some countries in Europe have seen decline. Like a country in Europe can have more cases than Nigeria currently but actually they had more before and is now declining, that will be seen as handling it well.

Geewin69:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:38pm On Jul 11, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 8:42pm On Jul 11, 2020
I'll still keep assuring all to keep the hope up!

At first they said US embassy would never open worldwide and now some are beginning to open.

I get the fear, but it's okay. Relax okay?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 8:43pm On Jul 11, 2020
It keeps getting better cheesy

Nigeria pls fall in line...

Friedpotato:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2020
sonofakin:
Apart from NCDC report and official numbers. Nigeria and Nigerian Government will still be a factor. My guess is that there is something odd somewhere. They won't reopen here if the Nigerian government did not give them go ahead. Look at the case of UK Visa, TLS offices have either opened or already scheduled to open in some African countries like South Africa whose official numbers is like six times worse than Nigeria. The only thing Nigerian UK Visa hopeful got was only a promise from the UK ambassador to Nigeria that they will open soon. Also, VAC office is Ghana has reopened since, Canada hopefuls here are still waiting.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by labylaby: 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2020
Nostradamus1:
I pmed u . I would like if you or anyone of ur friends who were admitted can act as college advisers for me

I replied the email but I'm not sure how it works. I'd be happy to help and I can ask them any questions you have.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 9:00pm On Jul 11, 2020
Nigeria's issue is kinda complicated. We can't really draw a reliable curve. 1. We are not testing uniformly day-to-day. No pattern, it is just at random. Individuals states contribute mainly to this. 2. The cases we see everyday are backlogs. Those samples were taken btw 2-4 weeks prior to the day the results were reported.
When you consider that and the fact that we have only tested less than 200k people when we have an estimated population of 200m.
But we still stay hopeful. Hope they find our local condition manageable and hope our government give them go ahead. A lot of consular officers are still in Nigeria attending to emergency cases since the time embassy was shut
Eniolakiite:
An angle...

I also think it's not about total number of cases in each country, the question of "are cases increasing or declining in this place?" is also important. Cases in Nigeria are increasing on a daily. Some countries in Europe have seen decline. Like a country in Europe can have more cases than Nigeria currently but actually they had more before and is now declining, that will be seen as handling it well.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by HoluwadareY(m): 9:14pm On Jul 11, 2020
Stevenssen:
Good news! Student visa processing to resume in Jamaica on 20th this month.
let's hope others will follow asap

Amazing!!!! Sheke01, what do you have to say about this broh? ����

I guess, our only concern now is if Nig embassy and consulate will follow...not if US embassy will open because USCIS is having financial issues. You love to see it����

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by HoluwadareY(m): 10:27pm On Jul 11, 2020
Hi guys, you can follow this thread on Grad cafe to see the situation of things in other countries regarding visa appointments...some students in Uruguay r getting dia visas....
Hoping for the best for Nig

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/124591-visa-appointment/page/3/#comments

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 10:35pm On Jul 11, 2020
Kimzylove:

Can i pm you?

Yes.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 10:37pm On Jul 11, 2020
All the countries that seem to be opening are in the Americas region. Perhaps it gives some hope, but not much.

HoluwadareY:
Hi guys, you can follow this thread on Grad cafe to see the situation of things in other countries regarding visa appointments...some students in Uruguay r getting dia visas....
Hoping for the best for Nig

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/124591-visa-appointment/page/3/#comments
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 11:11pm On Jul 11, 2020
kastgeraldino:
All the countries that seem to be opening are in the Americas region. Perhaps it gives some hope, but not much.

if India and China can open. Definitely Nigeria would open too.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TrojanSnail: 8:22am On Jul 12, 2020
...a

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 9:55am On Jul 12, 2020
Kimzylove:

Heyy... How did you calculate your GPA... Your WAEC grades?

No! My school does calculate GPA

I didn't calculate it with my WASSCE grades just my high school grades.

Also pls can anyone suggest at least 5 safety schools so I can have a wide option to pick from

Thanks!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.