Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (538) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355672 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 10:06am On Aug 07, 2020
Friedpotato:
you don't want to take the SAT, you don't want to evaluate.

In this journey, some commitments and sacrifices ought to be made. Cc: Drdoom3 can tell you that because this is his second year of application.

I think the SAT is still open this year, to have a shot at those big schools you mention or even smaller schools, please take the SAT. If you're planning to apply to HBCUs, you can target the ones that don't need evaluation but to be on the safest side, evaluate. Because you might find out that they issue full ride with 1100 SAT and 3.5 GPA. Someone with that stats will get it but you with 1500 and 3.9 unevaluated GPA won't get it.

Make some investments. You can't expect to have everything free and rely on luck. It might work but if you can increase your chances, please do.
Thanks ❣️
But it's expensive I'm just a poor boy, seeking for greener pastures!

I lost my job my parents are only supporting me with prayers no financial support from them, but I've got a sponsor for only my Visa and flight he just needs me to gain admission by myself �

I'm too broke to take the SAT, firstly I don't have an international passport, no money to pay for the SAT.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 10:10am On Aug 07, 2020
Good day everyone. I'm trying to create a new ds 160 application but whenever I get to the security question part, the drop down questions and the spot for answering them refuse to come up. Please, can anyone advise me on how to get past this stage? Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:12am On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Thanks ❣️

I lost my job my parents are only supporting me with prayers no financial support from them, but I've got a sponsor for only my Visa and flight he just needs me to gain admission by myself �

I'm too broke to take the SAT, firstly I don't have an international passport, no money to pay for the SAT.

Humm.....hope you have plan B to school in nigeria. Dreams are good but reality is better. In life we all want great things or the best in life but at the same time everyone has to cut their coat according to their material . Many have done first degree in Nigeria and have gone on to do great things.

Full ride scholarship is competitive the whole world is fighting for the same spot so nothing comes easy. To expect full ride with no SAT, no evaluation etc is almost an impossible dream

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 10:13am On Aug 07, 2020
Oh Lord somebody should help me on this thread, I believe my helper is here !

Pls sponsor my SAT, I promise to never let you down, I've been reading all day and night preparing for an exam I can't pay for.
It is indeed depressing �
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 10:16am On Aug 07, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Humm.....hope you have plan B to school in nigeria. Dreams are good but reality is better. In life we all want great things or the best in life but at the same time everyone has to cut their coat according to their material . Many have done first degree in Nigeria and have gone on to do great things.

Full ride scholarship is competitive the whole world is fighting for the same spot so nothing comes easy. To expect full ride with no SAT, no evaluation etc is almost an impossible dream
Yes i have a plan B

But I've been seeing my self in the great dome at MIT, the schwarzman college of computer science, the Killian court.

In my dream ❣️
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 11:28am On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Thanks ❣️

won't you need the international passport for flights eventually?

You have to make commitments. You have to have international passport, SAT score and extra money to do one or two things aside evaluating which is optional.

If you can borrow and believe you'd ace the exam, please do. Its a dead end you're heading for with 0 funds for this process, unless a good Samaritan here chooses to help you.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 12:30pm On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Thanks ❣️

I'd advise you look for sponsors first before you even start anything.

Also consider applying for the Opportunity funds programme of EducationUSA. They cover all costs, from SAT to international passport, down to WES evaluation, SEVIS fees and even flight ticket.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 12:37pm On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Thanks y'all I really appreciate❣️
Pls I just need anyone to suggest 3 safeties that i can apply to in order to make my list of schools 10

but in this case where SAT isn't administered is there any way out?

Anyways I've been sending emails across all schools to be really sure the're really test optional, in my email I made mention the international passport required to take the test and made the admission office aware that I can't take the test without my IP also SAT isn't administered amidst the pandemic and their response was all positive they said I
won't be penalized/ disadvantaged in the holistic admission process, or should I shift my application to next year in order to take the test and be on a safer side?

Also the deadline for the EducationUSA thingy is may 31

Not everything you see online or you are told online is applicable in reality. That's why experience is the best teacher. There are some things I could tell you about some certain schools that contradicts what is in their websites. That's why I prefer professional advising from people with experience.

Now look at the whole saga from the POV of the admission officer. An AO needs more applicants so that they can reject more and maximize selectivity to keep their prestige. That's why they will tell you anything just to make you apply. MIT will not read your application if your SAT Math score is below 750, but they won't tell you. It's all part of the admissions game.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 12:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
horlahsunbo225:

These are not full ride schools for undergrad. Some may have one or two scholarships for internationals, but I don't know of any of these that give full aid to internationals.

Safety schools would be more of HBCUs, lower tier Liberal Arts Colleges, and schools with specific scholarships for students above a certain SAT score or GPA for internationals.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:57pm On Aug 07, 2020
Kimzylove:

Please, fairheart can i pm you?
Sure
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Yes i have a plan B

But I've been seeing my self in the great dome at MIT, the schwarzman college of computer science, the Killian court.
In my dream ❣️

You have been enveloped by your dream, but tip the flap and try to look outside so you can see your realities.
Having a dream is not really hard, paying the price is. In my 20s, I learnt that if you want to help anyone who want to pursue their dreams, ask them what they have committed first. You know, what have they done for themself towards this dream? I can support one way or the other, but how far have you gone in supporting yourself to achieve this dream?
Let me guess you're from the grassroots. Life is very, very hard for youths who have beautiful dreams from this social class. But you have to look at the realities, so that you will be guided and not miss out.

Now, read this carefully. Getting admissions in the US entails many things: morale, consistent finance, academic soundness, focus to finish what you start. The financial aspect is the reality I want you step out of your dream to assess. As an undergraduate student, you have to apply to 2-3 schools at least, especially since you need full-ride scholarship and you don't have 100% assurance that if you apply to only one school, it will offer you that. Hence, 2-3 school is the best.

We'll use $/N400 for the calculation below.
Let us say each school application fee cost $40 X 3= $120 (N48, 000). SAT=N50, 000
Let us assume you manage resources and apply to schools that only ask for WAEC scratch card for admission. So, no WES or ECE.
Let us assume admission then came for fall 2021. SEVIS FEE = $350 (N140, 000); Visa fee =N70, 000
(God forbid that you're refused once, you will need another visa fee).
Let us say you need flight ticket in the fall, which would cost approximately N300K to 350K.
TOTAL: N608, 000

That's more than half of a million Naira. This is the reality I want you to partially remove the veil of your dream to see.
My dear, how do you plan to raise this money? How much can we give to support you from here? If you need moral and professional support, from the scratch to the end, I'm in for you. I will even try to support you with application fee, and get you people you can stay with in the States if your school is around them, for free. If someone here help you with 50K SAT fee, how will you get the 558K to run this race successfully?
If I were your mentor, these are the questions I'd ask you.

Now, sit down quietly and think. What can you do? How much can you raise? Who can you ask to help? Anybody in the family? If none, as that may be the reason you come here to ask for support, please focus on studying in Nigeria.

Nigeria is a wicked country and its entire system has been made hostile and shaped by difficult hands against children of the poor at the grassroots. It is what it is! But you have to fight for your dreams anyway. How you fight for this dream is now left for you to device...
You can study in the US, but it seems the best time for that is not now. Maybe Master's is ideal.
Got your request for DM. We will talk better.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by EncephalonPikin(m): 2:00pm On Aug 07, 2020
drDoom3:

I'd advise you look for sponsors first before you even start anything.

Also consider applying for the Opportunity funds programme of EducationUSA. They cover all costs, from SAT to international passport, down to WES evaluation, SEVIS fees and even flight ticket.

From personal experience, the EducationUSA opportunity funds program will only cover these costs if he has a minimum of 7As and 2Bs. If he had applied for the program before his WAEC result came out then he might've been selected without the result and he would've gotten free membership (which involves access to experienced advisors and a possible list of schools)but he'll still have to come up with the money for the SAT. The only exception where they might pay for these other fees is when you have a really exceptional SAT score and you're already a member.

He can still try, who knows?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2020
EncephalonPikin:

From personal experience, the EducationUSA opportunity funds program will only cover these costs if he has a minimum of 7As and 2Bs. If he had applied for the program before his WAEC result came out then he might've been selected without the result and he would've gotten free membership (which involves access to experienced advisors and a possible list of schools)but he'll still have to come up with the money for the SAT. The only exception where they might pay for these other fees is when you have a really exceptional SAT score and you're already a member.

I didn't have 7As and 2Bs.
Many of my colleagues didn't, too. One of my friends even had 6Bs and 3Cs, in OFP.
If you can show your story and academic potentials, your WAEC can be overlooked. But I recommend you have at least one or two national awards (NNPC, Olympiad, Cowbell) and strong leadership positions (senior prefect) and a perfect or near perfect high school GPA.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by horlahsunbo225(m): 2:37pm On Aug 07, 2020
drDoom3:

These are not full ride schools for undergrad. Some may have one or two scholarships for internationals, but I don't know of any of these that give full aid to internationals.

Safety schools would be more of HBCUs, lower tier Liberal Arts Colleges, and schools with specific scholarships for students above a certain SAT score or GPA for internationals.
Thanks for your input. Just as someone mentioned above those schools are for PG as I'm aspiring for PhD
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 3:26pm On Aug 07, 2020
No one could have said it any better. Unfortunately, he is at a stage in which he won't be able to understand or appreciate your wisdom.

LagosismyHome:

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 3:45pm On Aug 07, 2020
fairheart:

You have been enveloped by your dream, but tip the flap and try to look outside so you can see your realities.
Having a dream is not really hard, paying the price is. In my 20s, I learnt that if you want to help anyone who want to pursue their dreams, ask them what they have committed first. You know, what have they done for themself towards this dream? I can support one way or the other, but how far have you gone in supporting yourself to achieve this dream?
Let me guess you're from the grassroots. Life is very, very hard for youths who have beautiful dreams from this social class. But you have to look at the realities, so that you will be guided and not miss out.

Now, read this carefully. Getting admissions in the US entails many things: morale, consistent finance, academic soundness, focus to finish what you start. The financial aspect is the reality I want you step out of your dream to assess. As an undergraduate student, you have to apply to 2-3 schools at least, especially since you need full-ride scholarship and you don't have 100% assurance that if you apply to only one school, it will offer you that. Hence, 2-3 school is the best.

Let us say each school application fee cost $40 X 3= $120 (N48, 000). SAT=N50, 000
Let us assume you manage resources and apply to schools that only ask for WAEC scratch card for admission. So, no WES or ECE.
Let us assume admission then came for fall 2021. SEVIS FEE = $350 (N140, 000); Visa fee =N70, 000
Let us say you need flight ticket in the fall, which would cost approximately N300K to 350K.

That's more than half of a million Naira. This is the reality I want you to partially remove the veil of your dream to see.
My dear, how do you plan to raise this money? How much can we give to support you from here? If you need moral and professional support, from the scratch to the end, I'm in for you. I will even try to support you with application fee, and get you people you can stay with in the States if your school is around them, for free. If someone here help you with 50K SAT fee, how will you get the 558K to run this race successfully?

Now, sit down quietly and think. What can you do? How much can you raise? Who can you ask to help? Anybody in the family? If none, as that may be the reason you come here to ask for support, please focus on studying in Nigeria.

Nigeria is a wicked country and its entire system has been made hostile and shaped by difficult hands against children of the poor at the grassroots. It is what it is! But you have to fight for your dreams anyway. How you fight for this dream is now left for you to device...
You can study in the US, but it seems the best time for that is not now. Maybe Master's is ideal.

exactly.

If you've taken the SAT and have your international passport. It's easier for you to convince someone to sponsor you. If you score high in the SAT, people would be more empathetic to help you one way or the other.

Help yourself first, it would motivate others to help you.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 3:50pm On Aug 07, 2020
TheCork:

Kaiiii

cc justwise
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 07, 2020
Sharon8:
Good day everyone. I'm trying to create a new ds 160 application but whenever I get to the security question part, the drop down questions and the spot for answering them refuse to come up. Please, can anyone advise me on how to get past this stage? Thanks.

I think females are generally exempted from answering those security questions on the DS form. You should be good to proceed.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 10:37pm On Aug 07, 2020
Friedpotato:
won't you need the international passport for flights eventually?

You have to make commitments. You have to have international passport, SAT score and extra money to do one or two things aside evaluating which is optional.

If you can borrow and believe you'd ace the exam, please do. Its a dead end you're heading for with 0 funds for this process, unless a good Samaritan here chooses to help you.

I've gotten sponsor for international passport but SAT no dime to pay for the exam talkless of sending scores
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 10:40pm On Aug 07, 2020
Friedpotato:
exactly.

If you've taken the SAT and have your international passport. It's easier for you to convince someone to sponsor you. If you score high in the SAT, people would be more empathetic to help you one way or the other.

Help yourself first, it would motivate others to help you.

Seriously I'm damn prepared for the SAT, but I can't pay for it although my pastor promised to help me get my international passport, now the SAT is whats remaining, pls I need help, I'm a potential 1500+ with my extreme prep
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 10:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

I've gotten sponsor for international passport but SAT no dime to pay for the exam talkless of sending scores
then do the international passport. Next SAT is in October and December, a lot can happen before then. Prepare your other documents and start your applications while you hopefully await your SAT scores.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 10:46pm On Aug 07, 2020
Friedpotato:
then do the international passport. Next SAT is in October and December, a lot can happen before then. Prepare your other documents and start your applications while you hopefully await your SAT scores.

Thanks I've already started my application.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 10:59pm On Aug 07, 2020
fairheart:

I love y'all ❣️

Sir my sponsor for visa, flight and International passport has 3 companies in Nigeria but he also was from a poor background so I think he wants me to challenge myself and get admitted to show that I'm really serious then he'll be moved to sponsor me

Sir!
I'll be really glad if I can get help from you and all the great minds on this thread, PLS help me secure admission
NB: if I can register for the SAT tommorow he's willing to sponsor my international passport ASAP.
Also I have a valid scholarship to study in any University in Nigeria.
But I'm not interested in it because I got the scholarship with ease from the Lagos State government.
I would have traveled to the US in February for a 2weeks exchange program with Lagos government but was postponed to next year because of the covid419

I don't want to study in naija pls I'm like the next Elon musk from Nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 11:01pm On Aug 07, 2020
Friedpotato:
I already have my certificate
of origin, birth certificate, gurantor for the passport application which is my pastor, and all the required docs just to register for the SAT firstly before applying for the passport. Also I've already started my application sir!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 11:03pm On Aug 07, 2020
EncephalonPikin:

But is the education USA application not close for this year?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 11:04pm On Aug 07, 2020
EncephalonPikin:

I have 7B's 1A1 & a C4
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SoccerUSA(m): 11:07pm On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Seriously I'm damn prepared for the SAT, but I can't pay for it although my pastor promised to help me get my international passport, now the SAT is whats remaining, pls I need help, |||I'm a potential 1500+ with my extreme prep|||
I believe you should take it easy. SAT is so tricky but the score is achievable. Be sure to analyze the whole of the test before you take it. Pls do not rush into taking it so you don't get to disappoint your sponsor at the long run. I believe you can achieve it though but
'Calm Down' You will get there!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 11:13pm On Aug 07, 2020
SoccerUSA:

I believe you should take it easy. SAT is so tricky but the score is achievable. Be sure to analyze the whole of the test before you take it. Pls do not rush into taking it so you don't get to disappoint your sponsor at the long run. I believe you can achieve it though but
'Calm Down' You will get there!

Thanks ❣️

But I've done numerous prep , I just need to register for the SAT, my international passport is settled just depends on the SAT before I can get it this year or get it next year if admitted without the test.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 11:16pm On Aug 07, 2020
drDoom3:

Not everything you see online or you are told online is applicable in reality. That's why experience is the best teacher. There are some things I could tell you about some certain schools that contradicts what is in their websites. That's why I prefer professional advising from people with experience.

Now look at the whole saga from the POV of the admission officer. An AO needs more applicants so that they can reject more and maximize selectivity to keep their prestige. That's why they will tell you anything just to make you apply. MIT will not read your application if your SAT Math score is below 750, but they won't tell you. It's all part of the admissions game.

Seriously, thank God I'm a math person
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 11:19pm On Aug 07, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

I love y'all ❣️

Sir my sponsor for visa, flight and International passport has 3 companies in Nigeria but he also was from a poor background so I think he wants me to challenge myself and get admitted to show that I'm really serious then he'll be moved to sponsor me

Sir!
I'll be really glad if I can get help from you and all the great minds on this thread, PLS help me secure admission
NB: if I can register for the SAT tommorow he's willing to sponsor my international passport ASAP.
Also I have a valid scholarship to study in any University in Nigeria.
But I'm not interested in it because I got the scholarship with ease from the Lagos State government.
I'd have travel to the US February for a 2weeks exchange program with Lagos government but was postponed to next year because of the covid419

I don't want to study in naija pls I'm like the next Elon musk from Nigeria!!!

Okay. Can you explain how you qualified for student exchange program sponsored by Lagos State Government? What did you do to be selected for it? And how old are you?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 11:27pm On Aug 07, 2020
fairheart:

Okay. Can you explain how you qualified for student exchange program sponsored by Lagos State Government? What did you do to be selected for it? And how old are you?

I was shortlisted from the school's district, considering academic performance, participation in National & Lagos State competitions, I also attended NNPC science competition, pz cussons chemistry competition, cowbellpedia, also numerous essay and debate competitions, code Lagos.
I also work with a charity Organization that teaches STEM to students from the rurals of Lagos State, I aced the scholarship interview, I met the WASSCE requirements, I aced the scholarship exam, I was awarded best in chemistry district v Lagos State e.t.c

I'm 16
Infact we hosted a zoom meeting with sanwo olu today and the minister of education.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.