Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,064 members, 7,807,191 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (555) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355237 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) (558) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 8:33pm On Sep 09, 2020
An acquaintance is scheduled for interview in Nov, tho tentatively.
Stevenssen:

Nobody is being interviewed as they can haven't resumed yet.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2020
iamhumble2020:

thanks!

Pls can you show me a "sample letter from a counselor to show that college application fee presents hardship to the students family", my counselor has not done anything related to US admission.
I tried google searching but i couldn't find anything.

Concerning the ISFAA i already have the form but i have to enter the list of universities I'll be applying to, but only 7 spaces are available but I'm applying to 8 only 2 of them use the isfaa should i mention the remaining 6 in the ISFAA form? or i should mention Only the ones that use the ISFAA?

Thanks.

About the hardship letter, just construct something in that line. It doesn't necessarily have to be flashy or ambiguous. Just write a succinct letter stating how you are facing financial hardships and how the application fee is a burden on your family.

For the ISFAA, I'll advise you do one per school, listing only one school. It is generally not a good idea to let a school know the other schools you are applying to, and you are not obliged in any way to do so.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 9:09pm On Sep 09, 2020
BrTune:
Has anyone been able to get an interview slot for an F1 visa in Lagos?
I hear some people are being interviewed in Abuja.

The embassy in Abuja is totally empty. No one is being interviewed.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omomayelakesi: 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2020
Lagos or Abuja ?
BrTune:
An acquaintance is scheduled for interview in Nov, tho tentatively.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 7:50am On Sep 10, 2020
ABV
omomayelakesi:
Lagos or Abuja ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omomayelakesi: 9:02am On Sep 10, 2020
Ok Thank you
BrTune:
ABV
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 10, 2020
tmphoto:

Brotherly please do not go and fill 7 schools in your ISFAA form as that will be used to determine your admission decision. Take for example you want to get some large amount of financial aid from me as n institution and you have listed over 6 schools you also want to go, me seeing that and also considering your transcripts and all the rest I might just let you go as you still have other schools you are applying to and you’ve already indicated it on the form, so i might be like if he doesn’t get it from me he can get it from the others.

N/B: the scope of adding those schools to the form only works when they are [/i]Top-Notch Institution[i] (IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS) and also with your very strong application materials like [/b]GMAT,GRE,
TOEFL/IELTS,
ESSAY,
SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT
CV/RESUMÈ
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE[b]

So after seeing those strong credentials with Grace they will hold on tight to you cause they know you’re an Hot cake

:Please be wise ✌�

Thanks my friend is also applying the choosed 5 highly selective and + 2 moderately prestigious institution + 3 low ranked institutions should i tell him to list only 5 in the first ISFAA application and 5 in the second ISFAA form?

Or what strategy can he use?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tmphoto(m): 6:08pm On Sep 10, 2020
iamhumble2020:

Thanks my friend is also applying the choosed 5 highly selective and + 2 moderately prestigious institution + 3 low ranked institutions should i tell him to list only 5 in the first ISFAA application and 5 in the second ISFAA form?

Or what strategy can he use?

Just tell him to put only 2 out of the highly selective institution
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 10, 2020
tmphoto:

Just tell him to put only 2 out of the highly selective institution

Implies he should submit ISFAA to 2 selective institution
+ another 3 selective institutions
+2 moderately selective +3 safeties .= 10

is this good enough? Or
Drop your suggestions pls!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tmphoto(m): 10:29pm On Sep 10, 2020
No he could submit the ISFAA to as many schools that requires it, what i meant by saying 2 is that on each ISFAA he’s submitting to a School, he should only include/type in it the selection of 2 Schools he is also applying to.
You can find what I meant in the picture

iamhumble2020:

Implies he should submit ISFAA to 2 selective institution
+ another 3 selective institutions
+2 moderately selective +3 safeties .= 10

is this good enough? Or
Drop your suggestions pls!

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Thermodynamics(m): 1:40pm On Sep 11, 2020
HELLO HOUSE, I HAVE MY UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE BUT HAVE LOST MY ORIGINAL WAEC RESULT.
PLEASE I WANT TO ASK IF I WOULD BE NEEDING MY ORIGINAL WAEC RESULT AT ANY POINT WHEN TRYING TO GET MY STUDY VISA.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 5:34pm On Sep 11, 2020
As long as you are applying for Masters, you wont need it.
Its presumed that you must have passed through High school to get to college. I'm unsure about jobs tho, Post masters i.e OPT
Thermodynamics:
HELLO HOUSE, I HAVE MY UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE BUT HAVE LOST MY ORIGINAL WAEC RESULT.
PLEASE I WANT TO ASK IF I WOULD BE NEEDING MY ORIGINAL WAEC RESULT AT ANY POINT WHEN TRYING TO GET MY STUDY VISA.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 1:08pm On Sep 12, 2020
Hello all,
Please help me with the link or website to visit if i want to fill my DS160 and VISA APPOINTMENT

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mimilyrics: 3:08pm On Sep 12, 2020
https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

Sanguine1:
Hello all,
Please help me with the link or website to visit if i want to fill my DS160 and VISA APPOINTMENT

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 9:37am On Sep 13, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 7:56pm On Sep 13, 2020
Please, what should I expect from an interview with a prospective PhD supervisor?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by urchman101(m): 8:02pm On Sep 13, 2020
Onyedika11:
Please, what should I expect from an interview with a prospective PhD supervisor?
He or she basically wants to know about your interest, experience and skill.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Damian457: 8:35pm On Sep 13, 2020
Check your dm
Onyedika11:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:16pm On Sep 13, 2020
Onyedika11:

Below is an old response to someone who was in a similar position in 2016......loved the response when i first read it and it applies to anyone with a Skype interview . Source: happy day. Also use the search button up and type skype phd or skype department then filter to travel section ... You will be able to learn a thing or two.

happyday

Congratulations! If anything, you can be sure that the department thinks you're good on paper. It's time to make them gauge how eligible you're for a PhD slot in their program. First, how did you get the interview invite? Was it through a normal application, or you knew someone (a grad student, post-doc or faculty) who helped you 'press' the right buttons? If it's the latter, you might contact them to give you a heads-up on what to expect.

Either way, you need not fret. Interviews like this is 2-way. They're trying to interview you, as much as you're trying to interview them!

Firstly, be prepared for the interview. If you don't have a 2-way headset (microphone and earpiece), get one. If your internet connection is not optimal, find a place where you can be connected for the period of the interview. Ensure your PC's battery is fine enough to last you throughout the interview, even if PHCN comes knocking.

Resist the temptation to dress in half. Dress as if you'll be attending an in-person interview. You might need to stand up, plus dressing full-length will give you confidence levels a huge boost. Minutes before the interview, test run the audio, video and internet connection. Test everything and make sure all is in order.

Then, you'll need to be ready. Find out about your interviewers. How many are they? It doesn't hurt to ask prior to the interview. Most likely, your future advisor will be leading the team. Check his research page and really dig into his research interests. You'll need to show some enthusiasm about his research objectives. Otherwise, he might think you won't make a great addition to his lab. Which might be okay than for you spending the next 5 years on something you absolutely have no interest in. If you're applying with a BSc, be prepared to discuss your final year project, and look for ways to link it up with the faculty's research work. Ultimately, your answers should reflect that you've taken time out to know what the Prof is working on, and how you see yourself being a great Plus One in his lab.

He would also like you to meet him. Pay attention. Don't get lost in the need to impress him/them. Tell him your doubts, be open and let him know you're looking forward to working with him, if truly he seems a cool person to work with. Prepare a few questions to ask, towards the end. It shows your level of initiative and motivation. Ask about the application process. If one document won't be coming through anytime soon, let him know. He might fight for you at the admissions committees. Again, if he thinks you're good enough. Which takes me to the last point.

Blow your trumpet. Don't be reserved or 'humble'. Glance through the documents you've submitted to them, and make sure you can defend them very well at the interview.

If all goes well, he might typical encourage you to apply. If you haven't done so already. I wish you the best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Robert6708: 12:50am On Sep 14, 2020
Good day everyone; I know this is slightly unrelated. But is there anyone here who needs or knows anyone who needs Naira? I’ve got some Naira in my bank account in Nigeria.. need someone that needs it in exchange for the dollar equivalent here. Instant transfer; and we can do the whole transfer on live video too. Please let me know. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Damian457: 8:54am On Sep 14, 2020
Good morning guys.
I’m about submitting my applications for some MPH programs, the schools of interest waived GRE requirements and made it optional for the 2020-2021 cycle because of the Covid. Hope this will not affect funding?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by horlahsunbo225(m): 11:28am On Sep 14, 2020
Damian457:
Good morning guys.
I’m about submitting my applications for some MPH programs, the schools of interest waived GRE requirements and made it optional for the 2020-2021 cycle because of the Covid. Hope this will not affect funding?
The other parr of your profile and the availability of funding in the department will determine

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nicolascage66: 5:44pm On Sep 14, 2020
Hello All,

I have B.tech in Applied Geology with 3.45 CGPA and a GRE scores of 323, still awaiting my analytical writing result tho coz I just did the GRE few days ago.

I had partial funding for Fall 2020 at NCA&T without GRE but since I deferred my admission to spring 2021 due to Covid, I’ve been emailing the grad coordinator to know whether the funding will still apply for spring 2021 but no response since.

Please which university can I apply to (Masters) that will guarantee full funding with my GRE scores? Or at least a university that is generous in their funding for masters student.

My course of interest is Industrial Engineering or Information Technology.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by arcTY(m): 9:16pm On Sep 14, 2020
Nicolascage66:
Hello All,

I have B.tech in Applied Geology with 3.45 CGPA and a GRE scores of 323, still awaiting my analytical writing result tho coz I just did the GRE few days ago.

I had partial funding for Fall 2020 at NCA&T without GRE but since I deferred my admission to spring 2021 due to Covid, I’ve been emailing the grad coordinator to know whether the funding will still apply for spring 2021 but no response since.

Please which university can I apply to (Masters) that will guarantee full funding with my GRE scores? Or at least a university that is generous in their funding for masters student.

Good evening, i also gained admission to ncat and deferred to spring2021, please how did you process the funding that you were given?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nicolascage66: 9:23pm On Sep 14, 2020
arcTY:

Good evening, i also gained admission to ncat and deferred to spring2021, please how did you process the funding that you were given?

I just applied to the course and I reached out to the graduate coordinator for the department.

He initially said they don’t have funding and that it is always reserved for PhD students. Later after I disturb them like 2-3 times, he gave me half of the tuition fees in the form of tuition assistance.

But I deferred the admission due to Covid-19 and I am not sure now if they will carry the funding over to spring.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 14, 2020
Robert6708:
Good day everyone; I know this is slightly unrelated. But is there anyone here who needs or knows anyone who needs Naira? I’ve got some Naira in my bank account in Nigeria.. need someone that needs it in exchange for the dollar equivalent here. Instant transfer; and we can do the whole transfer on live video too. Please let me know. Thanks
what’s your exchange?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BarristerAlarig: 12:49am On Sep 15, 2020
Nicolascage66:
Hello All,

University of Lincoln, Nebraska.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nicolascage66: 1:27am On Sep 15, 2020
BarristerAlarig:

Thanks bro.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by phizzle20: 8:02am On Sep 15, 2020
Hello, are you studying at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln? Or you just think it is a school to attempt based on their stat
BarristerAlarig:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by phizzle20: 8:10am On Sep 15, 2020
Consider a google search as a good starting point. If you pick schools with GRE score of like 300-310 for example, that gives you a good chance to be selected since you have a higher score especially with your CGPA. There schs like UF, UA, LSU, UNL within this range...so it is your choice. Try to also speak with the faculties at the schs you eventually what to settle for.
Nicolascage66:
Hello All,

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nicolascage66: 8:34am On Sep 15, 2020
phizzle20:
Consider a google search as a good starting point. If you pick schools with GRE score of like 300-310 for example, that gives you a good chance to be selected since you have a higher score especially with your CGPA. There schs like UF, UA, LSU, UNL within this range...so it is your choice. Try to also speak with the faculties at the schs you eventually what to settle for.

Thanks bro
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by arcTY(m): 10:27am On Sep 15, 2020
Nicolascage66:

I just applied to the course and I reached out to the graduate coordinator for the department.

He initially said they don’t have funding and that it is always reserved for PhD students. Later after I disturb them like 2-3 times, he gave me half of the tuition fees in the form of tuition assistance.

But I deferred the admission due to Covid-19 and I am not sure now if they will carry the funding over to spring.

thanks for your response, I appreciate

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) (557) (558) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.