Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,067 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (602) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1353303 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) (604) (605) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Curious2020: 3:14pm On Oct 16, 2020
Anybodie:

Visa Approved
I'll be back with transcript

Interview was scheduled for Friday, 9th October at the Lagos Consulate.

Two windows (VO) were available to interview applicants, both white in their mid 30's - 40's.
My interview session was really brief and straight to the point.

VO: Good Morning, I will like to take your biometrics for verification.
Me: Good Morning Ok Placed my fingers on the scanner.
VO: Please take your mask off briefly for Identification.
Me: Ok
VO: So, where in the US are you going?
Me: The University of Southern Mississippi
VO: What are you going there for?
Me: To pursue a Masters degree in Hydrographic Science
VO: What did you call your course?
Me: repeats twice
VO: So why Southern Mississippi?
Me: The Hydrographic Science program at USM comes with another certification, the FIG/IHO CAT-A certification. It is an industry standard and widely accepted certification. I also want to take advantage of the quality research on Autonomous Underwater Vehicles
VO: Ok, tell me about your course (at that time he stopped looking at me, started typing but kept smiling
Me: drops some sakamanje about AUVs and underwater gas seepages cheesy..... I was sure he had little or no idea about my course so I confidently said what came to my head at the moment (I read my course description last night on the school's website, this was also helpful)
VO: Visibly impressed with my description, So who will be funding your study? Did you get an assistantship?
Me: Yes, My admission offer came with full tuition waiver and monthlyl stipends
VO: Ok, Are you married?
Me: No, I am still single
VO: Do you have Kids?
Me: (at this point, I was a bit worried because I thought he was trying to establish home ties) I smiled and replied calmly, NO sir
VO: Ok, Take this slip to the cashier and make your payments, Keep your I-20 well, it will be requested for at the POE.
Me: I was smiling anyhow already, but I used my nosemask as disguise. grin grin grin Thank You!

That's all..... no question on travel history, educational background or professional experience. Brief and straight to the point. I think it is best to answer the questions as brief as possible, and let your answers match what you filled in your DS-160. About three candidates were rejected while I was on the line waiting for my turn. I was able to eavesdrop on their interview session

Rejection 1: He claimed to have a funding offer but it wasn't reflecting on his I-20. He said it will only reflect upon admission(I guess he meant resumption). The wasn't having any of it, he insisted the guy was admitted already and any funding offer must reflect on his I-20, he said he would have approved him but no proof of funding.

Rejection 2: Baba claimed to be single on DS-160 but said he was married when asked during the interview. He started shalaye , According to him, he gave his babe belle and had to marry her grin grin grin. He said he did his traditional marriage on October 10th, but was yet to do the legal marriage. VO didn't but his alaye ....Rejected.

I can't recall the reason for the third rejection.

The second VO asked some funny questions for the other guys while I was been interviewed
1) What's the official mascot of your school? The guy didn't know, he was asking what a mascot was...... His visa was approved regardless
2) Pronounce the name of your school (University of Louisville). The guy tried but not so spot on, VO corrected him and granted the Visa .

Overall, today was a good day for most applicants at the Lagos Consulate. I would say about 80% approval (judging from my time in the waiting hall, i noticed only three rejections).
About 30 - 40 applicants were interviewed today, 7 am was the last time on the schedule according to the CGI official on ground, and the last person on the queue (from outside) was already in the waiting hall before I was done with my interview (around 9 a.m.).

Bottom-line, wear something you are comfortable in; It can be a long wait before it get to your turn. Trust me, you don't want to be sweating outside while standing for over two hours. I went in a simple native attire that was free on my body, so I was at ease all through.
congratulations grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Aderin0la: 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2020
Congrats again Anybodie

Anybodie:

Visa Approved

Two windows (VO) were available to interview applicants, both white in their mid 30's - 40's.

Me: The Hydrographic Science program at USM comes with another certification, the FIG/IHO CAT-A certification. It is an industry standard and widely accepted certification. I also want to take advantage of the quality research on Autonomous Underwater Vehicles
VO: Ok, tell me about your course (at that time he stopped looking at me, started typing but kept smiling
Me: drops some sakamanje about AUVs and underwater gas seepages cheesy..... I was sure he had little or no idea about my course so I confidently said what came to my head at the moment (I read my course description last night on the school's website, this was also helpful)
VO: Visibly impressed with my description, So who will be funding your study? Did you get an assistantship?
Me: (at this point, I was a bit worried because I thought he was trying to establish home ties) I smiled and replied calmly, NO sir
VO: Ok, Take this slip to the cashier and make your payments, Keep your I-20 well, it will be requested for at the POE.
Me: I was smiling anyhow already, but I used my nosemask as disguise. grin grin grin Thank You!

That's all..... no question on travel history, educational background or professional experience. Brief and straight to the point. I think it is best to answer the questions as brief as possible, and let your answers match what you filled in your DS-160. About three candidates were rejected while I was on the line waiting for my turn. I was able to eavesdrop on their interview session

Rejection 1: He claimed to have a funding offer but it wasn't reflecting on his I-20. He said it will only reflect upon admission(I guess he meant resumption). The wasn't having any of it, he insisted the guy was admitted already and any funding offer must reflect on his I-20, he said he would have approved him but no proof of funding.

Rejection 2: Baba claimed to be single on DS-160 but said he was married when asked during the interview. He started shalaye , According to him, he gave his babe belle and had to marry her grin grin grin. He said he did his traditional marriage on October 10th, but was yet to do the legal marriage. VO didn't but his alaye ....Rejected.

The second VO asked some funny questions for the other guys while I was been interviewed
1) What's the official mascot of your school? The guy didn't know, he was asking what a mascot was...... His visa was approved regardless
2) Pronounce the name of your school (University of Louisville). The guy tried but not so spot on, VO corrected him and granted the Visa .

Overall, today was a good day for most applicants at the Lagos Consulate. I would say about 80% approval (judging from my time in the waiting hall, i noticed only three rejections).
About 30 - 40 applicants were interviewed today, 7 am was the last time on the schedule according to the CGI official on ground, and the last person on the queue (from outside) was already in the waiting hall before I was done with my interview (around 9 a.m.).

Bottom-line, wear something you are comfortable in; It can be a long wait before it get to your turn. Trust me, you don't want to be sweating outside while standing for over two hours. I went in a simple native attire that was free on my body, so I was at ease all through.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Anybodie: 3:17pm On Oct 16, 2020
Aderin0la:
Congrats again Anybodie

Thanks Aderin0la
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 3:33pm On Oct 16, 2020
Anybodie:

Thanks Aderin0la
did you print your i-20 ? if so, was it colored?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lightp: 3:38pm On Oct 16, 2020
Anybodie:
Visa Approved

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by missuzoma: 3:46pm On Oct 16, 2020
Lildairo:
It's like no one likes answering my questions.

I ask again, has anyone gotten appointment recently in Abuja?

It seems Abuja is not conducting student's visa interviews and that is probably why no one is saying yes or no to your question. Abuja suddenly cancelled all interviews scheduled there late last week. Try and schedule in Lagos like everyone else.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lildairo(m): 3:53pm On Oct 16, 2020
missuzoma:

It seems Abuja is not conducting student's visa interviews and that is probably while no one is saying yes or no to your question. Abuja suddenly cancelled all interviews scheduled there late last week. Try and schedule in Lagos like everyone else.

Thanks. Do I need to feel new DS-160 & chose Lagos as interview point or I can just go ahead & request emergency appointment with Lagos?

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AOS97: 4:01pm On Oct 16, 2020
Anybodie:

Thanks Aderin0la

Any need to go with passport photograph?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Petershow: 4:10pm On Oct 16, 2020
Anybodie:

Visa Approved

thank you very much. this makes sense
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Snakedoctor1: 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2020
Guys pls apart from the acount details of sponsor and letter signed by him, what else do I need to bring on this for interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Teedawg: 5:17pm On Oct 16, 2020
kc6964:
I found this.... Hope their admission can secure me a visa? And generally how much did i need to deposit before i can be given admission or is it compulsory i must make full payment for tuition fees . Just asking

University of Nebraska--Kearney

Kearney, NE

inRegional Universities Midwest (tie)

1 user review

TUITION$14,901

(out-of-state)

TUITION$7,701

(in-state)

ENROLLMENT

If it’s a decent school you should be okay. It doesn’t guarantee a visa though. Deposit is at the discretion of the school it could range from as low as $50 to full tuition. You’d have to read through their admissions criterion on their website to get the information you need.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
Guys pls apart from the acount details of sponsor and letter signed by him, what else do I need to bring on this for interview?

His statement of account
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:59pm On Oct 16, 2020
Anybodie:
Visa Approved

Congrats .......May God bless your new journey

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by samibk: 6:17pm On Oct 16, 2020
Aderin0la:
Congrats again Anybodie

Well done ooooooo

I was the guy that was asked the official mascot of your school. Although I knew what he was asking for but the meaning of mascot was what skipped my memory.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Snakedoctor1: 6:22pm On Oct 16, 2020
Cocao:

His statement of account
Someone mentioned tax receipts , I don't know
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2020
[quote author=missuzoma post=95003969]

It
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by samibk: 6:36pm On Oct 16, 2020
Anybodie:

Visa Approved

1[s]) What's the official mascot of your school? The guy didn't know, he was asking what a mascot was...... His visa was approved regardless[/s]

He asked me for the official mascot of my school. What I forgot was the meaning of mascot at that moment.
Although I knew what he was referring to.

So let me share my transcript too.

VO: How are you? We are just here to chat.
ME: I'm fine and how are you too
VO: Pass me your passport
ME: I removed my document in between my passport and gave him
VO: No, put the document back and pass them to me. Don't be nervous, Okay?
ME: Actually I wasn't nervous (said this to myself).
VO: What is the name of your school
ME: University of
VO: What is the official mascot of your school
ME: (to myself, I can't remember what mascot means)
VO: He told me the answer and I confirm he was correct.
VO: Why are you going for PhD
ME; I discussed the project I will be working on briefly (less than 10 seconds)
VO: Are you married
ME: No
VO: Do you have children
VO: Have you travelled before
VO: go get your winter jacket and go pay your reciprocity fee.
Me: Thank you.

The interview was less than 2 minutes.

27 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:37pm On Oct 16, 2020
Snakedoctor1:

Someone mentioned tax receipts , I don't know
All you need from sponsor is his/her bank statement. Sponsor letter is not necessary, as consulars ain't interested in reading a letter that anybody can write. Go with sponsor statement. The most important thing: have a thoroughly filled DS160 that isn't conflicting with the i-20 you're carrying.
Prepare to speak confidently during the interview.
We have already said a lot about this on the thread.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:44pm On Oct 16, 2020
INTERVIEW DOCUMENT CHECKLIST
Make sure you have all the basic and required documents with you.
1, SEVIS fee confirmation receipt.
2, GTB visa fee receipt.
3, I-20 (signed).
4, Appointment Confirmation. or the email you received for appointment.
5, DS160 confirmation showing your passport photographph as uploaded.
6, 2 passport photograph of the same you uploaded online on your DS160.
7, Scholarship letter or funding appointment letter (if there’s any). Make sure your scholarship or assistantshop offer is stated on your i-20.
8, Sponsor official bank statement, stamped and signed, showing more than total cost of attendance or deficit--in Naira. Or TBillz or Fix deposit docs.
9, N43, 000 reciprocity fee.
10, Carry your confidence in your head as you carry your documents in your hand.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Petershow: 6:47pm On Oct 16, 2020
samibk:

He asked me for the official mascot of my school. What I forgot was the meaning of mascot at that moment.

congratulations jare

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 7:25pm On Oct 16, 2020
Lifeisforliving:

This is not true, I have an appointment on the 23rd of November In Abuja and is still very valid not cancelled. Stop spreading unverified news

But you booked this after the mass cancelation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2020
Cocao:

But you booked this after the mass cancelation

I am not aware of the mass cancellation, I opened the portal in October and saw a date
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SoteriaMo: 7:31pm On Oct 16, 2020
A very big congratulations to Anybodie and Samibk. So happy for you ��

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:32pm On Oct 16, 2020
samibk:

Congrats ... may God bless your new journey
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paradisiaque: 7:42pm On Oct 16, 2020
Congrats!

Anybodie:

Visa Approved

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paradisiaque: 7:43pm On Oct 16, 2020
Congratulations!

samibk:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2020
Please if you or anybody logs in again and see any date in 2020, please let us know. the earliest date there as at today is March 8th 2021.

Lifeisforliving:

I am not aware of the mass cancellation, I opened the portal in October and saw a date
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 8:23pm On Oct 16, 2020
Lifeisforliving:

It specifically happened on 8th of October. Did you book before or after that date
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Janet200: 9:26pm On Oct 16, 2020
samibk:

It’s not by force to write visa transcript, even hide the school name. If you can’t write a detailed transcript, no need to post. Period

18 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) (604) (605) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.