Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:49 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (696) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1343242 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (693) (694) (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Opaofafrica: 6:29am On Nov 20, 2020
Hello, when I scheduled my interview date weeks back I was given 4th of Aptil 2021. I have also been trying to reschedule- but I haven't seen any earlier date so far . And it's already 60 days to my resumption date . Now I am thinking to schedule an emergency appointment but I need someone to put me through the process correctly . Please I need guidance- please and please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 7:04am On Nov 20, 2020
Those of us that have filled multiple DS forms.
All you need is to ensure you submit the ds form you want to use and update your new ds confirmation number on your appointment page.

Take your new confirmation printout and updated appointment print out showing the new ds number.

There is no need to go with any data of the old ds forms you are not using.

The VO will only access the ds form that the confirmation number appears on ur appointment letter.

Dont complicate matters for yourself.
I saw where chonko was advising someone e to go with both old and new
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GeoOla25(m): 7:17am On Nov 20, 2020
Opaofafrica:
Hello, when I scheduled my interview date weeks back I was given 4th of Aptil 2021. I have also been trying to reschedule- but I haven't seen any earlier date so far . And it's already 60 days to my resumption date . Now I am thinking to schedule an emergency appointment but I need someone to put me through the process correctly . Please I need guidance- please and please
Please don’t waste your emergency request for Lagos.... reschedule to Abuja and then request for emergency in Abuja.
Lagos is filled up.. your emergency appointment might be denied.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jugghead69(m): 7:30am On Nov 20, 2020
Hello Hollyholy,
Please I submitted my DS-160 and I just went through it again and discovered I made a minor error in some of the dates.
When I fill a new DS-160, how do I attach it to my appointment confirmation?

Hollyholy:
All you need is to ensure you submit the ds form you want to use and update your new ds confirmation number on your appointment page.

Take your new confirmation printout and updated appointment print out showing the new ds number.

The VO will only access the ds form that the confirmation number appears on ur appointment letter.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 20, 2020
@ hollyholy, what about those of us that submitted 2 DS160?, Lagos and Abuja?, is there any penalty for submitting 2 DS160

Hollyholy:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chonco: 7:48am On Nov 20, 2020
Hollyholy:

It has actually happened before where someone was asked to show the old form and new form upon request. They just needed to verify and that was just it.
The advise is not a must do. It's optional.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 7:59am On Nov 20, 2020
Everything ridiculous seems to have happened around you before. The other day you said someone was refused Visa, got into a fight with a security official and was then given the Visa. You said this because another troll made a ridiculous claim. Why don't you just calm down and focus on getting undergraduate scholarships.
Chonco:

It has actually happened before where someone was asked to show the old form and new form upon request. They just needed to verify and that was just it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chonco: 8:04am On Nov 20, 2020
sonofakin:
Everything ridiculous seems to have happened around you before. The other day you said someone was refused Visa, got into a fight with a security official and was then given the Visa. You said this because another troll made a ridiculous claim. Why don't you just calm down and focus on getting undergraduate scholarships.

Lol. Undergraduate scholarship? Funny.
Ridiculous around you, you mean to say.
See, I've just told you what has happened before. Everything may have changed but i didn't say it for saying sake. I didn't say it for you to adhere to it but to let you know that in the past, it has happened - no offense. It seems you have eyes but don't know how to read or perhaps, you have comprehension issues.

And mind your choice of words Mr. I won't tolerate any insolence by you. Don't make stupid comments because you can type and try not to appear stupid. You didn't see how Hollyholy responded like a sane person? Why don't you emulate that.
If you want to correct someone, you do that calmly and constructively.
Nobody is your mate here.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majorstark: 8:14am On Nov 20, 2020
Below account post fully funded assistantship from universities ard d world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iamkingdaniel: 8:40am On Nov 20, 2020
Aquilapriscilla:

Hi bro did you finally take the SAT??
nah.... Sadly
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 8:50am On Nov 20, 2020
1. I have made several attempts to correct you calmly but you decided not to take corrections
2. The whole Visa process has a set of rules. Don't encourage people to make decisions based on assumptions that negate the rules.
3. Try to calm down and get a deep understanding yourself. I encourage you to read the rules, or you can read other people's anecdotes that are confirmed and doesn't seem like lies or flukes. It is even unwise to make life decisions based on flukes. Someone might even claim they slipped at the embassy after rejection and because of that they were approved.
5. Nobody is really anybody's mate. Not in the real world and specifically not on a faceless forum. For example, you might tell me you have travelled to five countries and I can say I have eight wives. It is a matter of perspectives.
Chonco:

If you want to correct someone, you do that calmly and constructively.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:54am On Nov 20, 2020
VISA DENIED
Window 11

As I was going towards him, in order to speak better, I lowered my nose masks and he instructed me and other persons in the hall to raise it back up.p

Me: good morning
V.O: good morning
V.O: where are you going to?
Me: I would be going to continue my undergraduate degree in biology
V.O: who would be funding this?
Me: I got a full ride presidential scholarship that would cover the entire cost of my tuition, feeding, accommodation, books, extra fees and a laptop. Also I was able to get 2 external scholarships this fall. $5000 for aidsmemorial and $2500 yearly scholarship from the United Negro College Fund. The rest of the costs would be taken care of by my uncle.
V.O: Are you married?
Me: No
V.O: Do you have any kids?
Me: No (laughs a bit)
V.O: So why did you choose this school?
Me: as I said I got a full ride scholarship, then when admitting me, EWC put me in their honors program. Which means that I get to pick a professor in my major that I can carry out summer research with, I would be given priority access to research and internships and I would be assigned an excelling senior in my major that would Integrate me into the Edward waters college community.
V.O: I cannot issue you the visa at this moment, this letter would explain more.

I was so so surprised.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:56am On Nov 20, 2020
Has anybody gotten a previously denied date in Abuja recently?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 9:10am On Nov 20, 2020
So sorry to hear this bro. I'm shocked myself. Your profile is really solid, I think.

Friedpotato:
VISA DENIED
Window 11

As I was going towards him, in order to speak better, I lowered my nose masks and he instructed me and other persons in the hall to raise it back up.p

Me: I got a full ride presidential scholarship that would cover the entire cost of my tuition, feeding, accommodation, books, extra fees and a laptop. Also I was able to get 2 external scholarships this fall. $5000 for aidsmemorial and $2500 yearly scholarship from the United Negro College Fund. The rest of the costs would be taken care of by my uncle.
Me: as I said I got a full ride scholarship, then when admitting me, EWC put me in their honors program. Which means that I get to pick a professor in my major that I can carry out summer research with, I would be given priority access to research and internships and I would be assigned an excelling senior in my major that would Integrate me into the Edward waters college community.
V.O: I cannot issue you the visa at this moment, this letter would explain more.

I was so so surprised.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 9:10am On Nov 20, 2020
Jugghead69:
Hello Hollyholy,
Please I submitted my DS-160 and I just went through it again and discovered I made a minor error in some of the dates.
When I fill a new DS-160, how do I attach it to my appointment confirmation?

If your interview date is less than 72hours away, kindly ignore the advise below.

Retrieve your submitted form using your former confirmation number and answers to your security questions, update all information and submit.

Go to your appointment page on cgifederal , use update information or something like that to edit the former ds 160 number to the new one and save.

Then click on confirmation and select the option to email you your new confirmation containing the new ds number.

Chonco:

ajaoakeem200000:
@ hollyholy, what about those of us that submitted 2 DS160?, Lagos and Abuja?, is there any penalty for submitting 2 DS160

That means they can just hold it if asked but dont submit it. Hide am somewhere for just incase.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 9:17am On Nov 20, 2020
Friedpotato:
VISA DENIED
Window 11

I was so so surprised.

So sorry about your denial...

As e de go so matter don de change, so like this once they ask me why I'm going to the school, the best bet is to start talking about the course of study and its impact in ur career of why you chose the course....

If possible why this school should not mean u talking about the admission process or scholarships cos I'm sure he can see that on ur i20.

We might not have the opportunity for another question like why this course so let's just take any opportunity and sell ourself.

I wish the rest of us goodluck..

13 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bayocanny: 9:23am On Nov 20, 2020
Tomison:

Hello guys, for someone going for an f1 visa interview without taking toefl exams but was still accepted by the school, Will there be a problem during the interview?

Also does anyone have the dates available for f1 visa in Lagos?

Visa interview is at the discretion of the VO.
Your interview success depend on how you market yourself, not taking standardized test doesn't reduce your chances of getting approval.

I really don't know about available dates in Lagos, but if you're unable to get one why not check Abuja.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bayocanny: 9:30am On Nov 20, 2020
Beegirl1:
Please can I still get Admission for Spring Semester MS?

If so can you assist with the names and if they offer Application waiver.

Thank you guys. Please urgent answers needed.

Good morning, it is good to read at least 5 or 10 pages, this is because most of the questions being asked has been replied by gurus in the house.

Check University of Colorado, Denver
Western Illinois University.
Tulane University.

Goodluck!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lildairo(m): 9:39am On Nov 20, 2020
Hollyholy:

As e de go so matter don de change, so like this once they ask me why I'm going to the school, the best bet is to start talking about the course of study and its impact in ur career of why you chose the course....

If possible why this school should not mean u talking about the admission process or scholarships cos I'm sure he can see that on ur i20.

We might not have the opportunity for another question like why this course so let's just take any opportunity and sell ourself.

Honestly, if I'm asked why this school, I would tell the VO how the school is good in my area of interest and how the program from the school would contribute greatly to my personal and career development before stating my scholarship and ranking.

The V.O. already knows the school ranking and he's seeing your scholarship on your I-20, so when he asks why this school, he really want to know how the school would contribute to your career growth. So in this line, I believe the best thing to do, is to start telling him how the school has gained notable recognition in your field of interest and how the school's style of teaching would contribute to your career growth upon your return to Nigeria.

My opinion shaa.

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 9:40am On Nov 20, 2020
Lildairo:

Honestly, if I'm asked why this school, I would tell the VO how the school is good in my area of interest and how the program from the school would contribute greatly to my personal and career development before stating my scholarship and ranking.

The V.O. already knows the school ranking and he's seeing your scholarship on your I-20, so when he asks why this school, he really want to know how the school would contribute to your career growth. So in this line, I believe the best thing to do, is to start telling him how the school has gained notable recognition in your field of interest and how the school's style of teaching would contribute to your career growth upon your return to Nigeria.

My opinion shaa.

Also mention why you are going for ur course...

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Aquilapriscilla: 9:41am On Nov 20, 2020
iamkingdaniel:
nah.... Sadly

No problem .thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 9:46am On Nov 20, 2020
Hollyholy:

I talked about my funding where he said, who would be funding this program not why the school. In the why the school, I talked about the honors program which has been used in approved transcripts I've seen.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Beegirl1(f): 9:49am On Nov 20, 2020
bayocanny:

Good morning, it is good to read at least 5 or 10 pages, this is because most of the questions being asked has been replied by gurus in the house.

Check University of Colorado, Denver
Western Illinois University.
Tulane University.

Goodluck!

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. I have tried Tulane but they seem not to offer my course of interest. Will check with Colorado n WIU.

I do not mind getting more information as I have read through previous pages n can't seem to find list of Schools still recieving Application for Spring Semester.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 9:50am On Nov 20, 2020
Friedpotato:
I talked about my funding where he said, who would be funding this program not why the school. In the why the school, I talked about the honors program which has been used in approved transcripts I've seen.

When he said why this school, you didnt talk about your course biology , I'm just giving out a general advise that we need to change style and make sure we talk more about what the course means to us and our career

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 9:53am On Nov 20, 2020
It seems that the rate at which they give out approvals has reduced as compared to last month.

Corona rate in the US , election uncertainties etc play a role in how the VOs behave.

So let's just prepare and give it our best shot

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Milkshakes01(f): 9:58am On Nov 20, 2020
Friedpotato:
VISA DENIED
Window 11

I was so so surprised.

How old are you?
Do you have a Bsc already?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by missuzoma: 9:59am On Nov 20, 2020
Let me drop this here. Visa Approved this morning for another MFA person going to study Creative Writing at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. I've been praying he gets his visa and I got to know him because he and my daughter, Naijaeclectic, were the only Nigerians offered admission into the program. Naijaeclectic got her own visa exactly two weeks back and wrote a rather long transcript.
I have not found out if he's a nairalander. He said four people before him were denied and he wanted to leave the line and go to the toilet to avoid the difficult VO; the oga VO, however, seemed to relax when it got to him and asked a couple of easy questions before uttering the magic words.
Bia, Chief, if you're a nairalander, come and write this story yourself. The offer of a place for an MFA in the school comes with full tuition waiver plus graduate assistantship.

9 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 10:03am On Nov 20, 2020
Milkshakes01:

How old are you?
Do you have a Bsc already?
I'm 22. I don't have a BSC. I stated in my DS-160 that my dad had an accident and my 2 elders brothers were in school that period. That took a lot of money from the family so I just had to chill until they want to finish before I started making college plans.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Greenman2020(m): 10:06am On Nov 20, 2020
Chonco:

I'm waiting for the Good news.

Well, not this time around.

Visa interview transcript
School: MSU
Program: PhD Sociology
Scholarship: Full funding + Teaching Assistantship
Deficit: NIL
GRE: 300
TOEFL: Nil
Bsc in Sociology (Federal University)
Highest Educational level: Msc, Criminology (Federal University)
Undergraduate Gpa: 3.44/4.0
Msc Gpa: 3.2/4.0
No of F1 Attempts at the US embassy (2), denied last year for Masters in Criminology with zero funding at West Texas A&M University.
Lagos consulate, Nov 20th 2020

My interview lasted about 10 minutes. Here we go:

The moment I entered the hall, I noticed that there were three VOs interviewing people at the counter, two females and one male. I realized immediately that the male was the guy who denied me last year and started praying that I should not come across him again. He had already denied about three to four persons right there in the hall. Unfortunately, I came across him again.

The moment I passed my passport and i20 to him, he looked at me and said, "I denied you last year and sorry I cannot interview you this time." He then directed me to another VO, an elderly woman. I can't remember the window. Now the interview proper.

Me: Good morning ma

VO: Good morning, pass me your i-20 and passport then place your hands on the scanner for the biometric capture.

Me: Okay ma. (I passed the documents to her and placed my hands on the scanner)

VO: Where are you going to?

Me: I am going to MSU, Starkvile, to pursue my PhD in Sociology with concentration in Criminology.

VO: I see. So, why this university?

Me: I settled for MSU because I was able to find a wonderful Prof. in the person of Professor XYZ who not only shares my research interest but believes in my abilities to excel at graduate school. For me, that's priceless. I also settled for MSU because the program is fully funded.

VO: I see that you've got full tuition waiver. Who's paying for the decifit?

Me: Please check ma, I do not have any deficit. The stipend from my assistantship covers my living expenses.

VO: Okay. Alright (kept typing into the system)

VO: What other school did you apply to?

Me: I also applied to Northeastern University, Boston, but I was not admitted.

VO: Did you write GRE, if yes, your score? (I was asked this same question the last time by the male VO)

Me: 300

VO: Where do you work? (I asked the last time too)

Me:I work with XYZ, a Lagos based NGO

VO: Have you travelled out of the country before? (Was also asked the last time)

VO: Sorry bla bla bla and hands me a green paper.
Me: (dumbfounded)

PS: Gurus in the house, Fairheart, Walspring, Chonco, and the rest what do you guys sense as the reason for my rejection? I'll appreciate your views because I intend to reapply. Thanks.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dikewilliams: 10:09am On Nov 20, 2020
Please I have two Ds 160 how do I manage it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dikewilliams: 10:10am On Nov 20, 2020
If u have two ds 160 how do u manage it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 10:15am On Nov 20, 2020
Dikewilliams:
If u have two ds 160 how do u manage it

Update your preferred Ds160 number on your cgi

(1) (2) (3) ... (693) (694) (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.