Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival (66791 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / Yoruba Descendants All Over The World / Great Benin descendants thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 7:09pm On Aug 19, 2019
goalernestman:
and also people that was taken from Yoruba as slaves was taken from bight of Benin, Benin empire not Yoruba there was no name as Yoruba or Oyo in the world until 18th century.

Below is a legit map and they are hundreds of them drawn by different people before 19th century and it pictured out same kingdoms here please don't bring fake map the one draw by Yoruba or people after 18th century.

It becomes obvious (with my second attachment above) that your effort and desperation to erase the Yorubas from historical documentations prior to the 18th century is a failed attempt.

Your map (which is only one way of the many ways of documenting historical information) doesn't help you here despite the fact that you striped the map of its historical context, its addendum, and its key which should have given a full picture including the cartographer(s)'s goals as to why they've considered only the names they've considered at that point.

Anyways, another piece of historical fact which goes back to the 15th century (as shown in my second attached screenshot above) has just wasted all your desperate effort. Try again!

Who is the next Bini liar on queue? cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by goalernestman: 8:26pm On Aug 19, 2019
TAO11:

It's funny that on seeing my comment you immediately fled from your moniker to "guest". Wonderful!! cheesy

Anyways, you just joined the ranks of Bini liars whom I have rubbished as per the claims of artefact.

So, instead of merely claiming that Yorubas on Nairaland were lying, you could have simply demonstrated with evidence that they lied. Nay, you "dashed" a golden opportunity. Lol!

And lastly, since you requested to be proven wrong, please note that you've just been proven wrong (in my 2nd attachment above) on your claim that Yorubas were not on record prior to the 18th century.
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by goalernestman: 8:39pm On Aug 19, 2019
TAO11:

Who sent you here so that I may roast you? Such person is your enemy, run away from them. cheesy

Anyways, I won't roast you.

I will only crucify you on your first claim, after which I will simply ask you to provide the evidence for your second and third claims thereby giving you the opportunity to realize by your own self that the statements are FALSE.

Here we go:

(1) Ewuare1 rained reigned in the 15th century from the year 1440 to the year 1473.

Don't take my word for it, take the words of your own Bini website https://www.edoworld.net/Obas.html which contains a listing of the kings of Benin kingdom from the first to the present.

See the first attached screenshot in case you're too busy to click the link. cheesy

Having now been exposed as a liar, and having endowed you with some proper education, note that it would be hard before anyone would take you seriously no more.

Always get your emotions right!

(2) Your second claim says that certain Benin bronze heads date to the 14th century, and that Yoruba bronze heads date to the 18th and 19th century.

You're not the first Bini on Nairaland to make this false statement. Two of your brothers namely Prolog3111 and gregyboy have made this claim before you.

But guess what, they are still searching for the evidence to substantiate this false claim since over two weeks ago when I sent them on the errand to substantiate their own claim.

Now join them on this errand, may be you would be the game changer.

But in case you become wiser than them during your search, and become repentant, and come to retract this false statement; then I will demonstrate to you that, in fact, the most extant Ife bronze sculptures have been dated by experts to the earliest of the 12th century (i.e. the 1100s) while the most extant Benin bronze sculptures (depicting use of beads) have been dated by experts to the earliest of the 15th century (i.e. the 1400s).

(3) Regarding your third remark, although you did not make your position clear as to whether or not you yourself believe that Yorubas were unknown prior to the 18th century --- that is, unknown in the 1600s or earlier.

Nevertheless, I would provide you with a piece of factual historical information. Please refer to the second attachment! cheesy

the most extant Ife bronze sculptures have been dated by experts to the earliest of the 12th century (i.e. the 1100s) while the most extant Benin bronze sculptures (depicting use of beads) have been dated by experts to the earliest of the 15th century (i.e. the 1400s)

I saw you post trash here lol who are this expert you claim people like you Yoruba's like bro you are not talking to a baby here give me names source not uknow expert as you put it.

This same expert as you claims have be the source you people have been using to rewrite history and lie every where why Benin brings world fact you people brings unkow expert. Very funny people I wonder why people take you seriously here with this your unknown experts
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by goalernestman: 8:41pm On Aug 19, 2019
[quote author=goalernestman post=81411007]

the most extant Ife bronze sculptures have been dated by experts to the earliest of the 12th century (i.e. the 1100s) while the most extant Benin bronze sculptures (depicting use of beads) have been dated by experts to the earliest of the 15th century (i.e. the 1400s)

I saw you post this trash above you think you are talking to a baby here Yoruba will never seems to amuse me
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by goalernestman: 8:49pm On Aug 19, 2019
Benin bronze beads was saw as far back in 14th century European Netherland England France Portugal Arabs who came to Africa then saw it this year above black slaves that was taken from Nigeria then all saw and know this. But Yoruba bronze beads dated back in 12th century and was only dated and recorded by unknown experts lol Yoruba people I give una one hand
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by goalernestman: 8:51pm On Aug 19, 2019
soon igbos will say they started beads and bronz and theirs started in 8th century. Who will doubt them when there are unknow expert to back their claim
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 9:33pm On Aug 19, 2019
goalernestman:

[s]I saw you post trash here lol who are this expert you claim people like you Yoruba's like bro you are not talking to a baby here[/s] give me names source not uknow expert as you put it.

[s]This same expert as you claims have be the source you people have been using to rewrite history and lie every where why Benin brings world fact you people brings unkow expert. Very funny people I wonder why people take you seriously here with this your unknown experts[/s]

Do you read at all? Lol!

Did you not realize that you first made a claim (that Benin bronze heads date to the 14th century, while Yoruba bronze heads date to the 18th and 19th century), and that you have to substantiate such claim with evidence as I have requested??

Did you not realize that I promised to provide evidence to the contrary to educate you, on the condition that you openly admit that there is no evidence for your own claim which you first made?

(1) You wouldn't provide evidence to substantiate your claim which you made first.

(2) You wouldn't admit that you can't find any such evidence and that you're sorry for making up the false statement.

(3) Yet you insist that I must give you names and sources for my claim which came after your own claim and for which I promised evidence on fair conditions.

Wonderful!! cheesy

Go back to my comment and read it again to see the conditions you must meet if you want me to educate you (with evidence) on the actual dating of the extant Ife artefacts and the extant Benin artefacts.

See attachment below for a refresher.

No Bini liar is going scot-free while I'm still on Nairaland. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 9:58pm On Aug 19, 2019
goalernestman:

So what where the record they were

And also how did Ewura rain in 15th century you post 1440 which is more closer to 13th century than 15th century. Ewura never crossed 14th century bro.

And also I have see no evidence of you proving me wrong that Yoruba existed before 18 century all I see here that you posted is beating rand the bush

I am ashamed on your behalf that you have no clue about the meaning of the word "century".

I won't be stingy, I would educate you!

(1) A century is "a period of 100 years." [Refer to Merriam-Webster Dictionary]

(2) For example:

The 12th century begins with the years: 1101, 1102, 1103, and so on.

The 13th century begins with the years: 1201, 1202, 1203, and so on.

The 14th century begins with the years: 1301, 1302, 1303, and so on.

We currently live in the 21st century which began with the years: 2001, 2002, 2003, and so on.

Having provided you with this simple basic information (which I had learnt at a very tender age), I hope you can now tell that Ewuare1 who reigned from the year 1440 to the year 1473 actually reigned in the 15th century and not 13th century or 14th century.

What a pity! embarassed

Regarding your already disproven claim about the Yorubas, I had already attached a piece of historical information which shows that in the FIFTEENTH (15th) CENTURY, THE OONI OF IFE was owed allegiance by the kings of Benin kingdom.

And I did cite the reference for that piece of factual historical information. Refer, one more time, to the piece of historical information as well as the reference in the attachment below.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 11:12pm On Aug 19, 2019
goalernestman:

[s]I saw you post this trash above you think you are talking to a baby here Yoruba will never seems to amuse me[/s]

You've been refuted already on this.

Waiting for your reply, sorry, your excuse. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 11:14pm On Aug 19, 2019
goalernestman:
[s]Benin bronze beads was saw as far back in 14th century European Netherland England France Portugal Arabs who came to Africa then saw it this year above black slaves that was taken from Nigeria then all saw and know this. But Yoruba bronze beads dated back in 12th century and was only dated and recorded by unknown experts lol Yoruba people I give una one hand[/s]

Make sure you type in English going forward. cheesy
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2019
goalernestman:
soon igbos will say they started beads and bronz and theirs started in 8th century. Who will doubt them when there are unknow expert to back their claim

Yes, the Igbo bronze artefacts dates to centuries before the Benin artefacts (and the Ife artefacts; although the Ife artefacts date to centuries before the Benin's)

The culture with the earliest known artefacts in Nigeria is the Nok culture of today's Kaduna State.

Followed by Igbo-Ukwu in today's Anambra state.

Followed by Ife in today's Osun State.

And then lastly by Benin in today's Edo state.

The last wants to desperately make itself the first just because of its vast population of unrepentant liars. cheesy

And in case you care to know, the Ife art works have been praised by experts as "art works of FIRST IMPORTANCE"

They have been deemed by experts to be "so very sophisticated in a European manner that they stood apart from the rest of African sculpture."

If you really need me to provide you with the relevant references to the foregoing scholarly statements and assertions, then (as I have mentioned to you earlier) you would have to first of all do one of the following two things:

(1) Provide expert scholarly academic references which substantiate your fictitious claim that Benin bronze heads date to the 14th century, while Yoruba bronze heads date to the 18th and 19th century --- A claim which you directed at me first, and for which I have since then been demanding evidence from you.

(2) Or you swallow your pride and admit unashamedly that you simply made up that false statement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Olu317(m): 6:25am On Aug 20, 2019
goalernestman:
I see many Yorubas here lying since with no fact let me remind you this.

Oyo, Yoruba, Yoruba bronze, Yoruba beads Yoruba territory, Yoruba map, land was known in the worlds from 18th century before 18th century there was noting like Yoruba in world map or anything related to Yoruba, people that was in west Africa guinea was known as Benin Ghana dahomey Cameroon or biafra.

Accept if you can prove me wrong with a fact not from Yoruba site or person or people born after 18th century

What has map got to do with the glaring fact? Sometimes, I wonder the reason set of Oviedos in your like manner don't bring fact but peddle false map information online to justify your kingdom. Anyway, Ooni's Visual Art( wearing a veil with full regalia was dug out in Benin palace, c. early 14th century ce of a Copper alloy. The picture can be seen in National Museums, Benin. While the Photo was Courtesy of Hunterian Museum And Art Gallery, university Of GLasgow.

Imagine how ignorant some of you are?Ooni of IléIfè statue was dug oout in Bini which date back to 14th century work, which was a gift to Oba Bini. Stil you kept portraying yourself as someone wjo can't comprehend affirmative or negative! I am surprised

Advice: be humble to accept the bitter but truth of Yoruba's pioneering influence on Edo people's production sector.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by goalernestman: 10:22am On Aug 20, 2019
[quote author=Olu317 post=81418820]
What has map got to do with the glaring fact? Sometimes, I wonder the reason set of Oviedos in your like manner don't bring fact but peddle false map information online to justify your kingdom. Anyway, Ooni's Visual Art( wearing a veil with full regalia was dug out in Benin palace, c. early 14th century ce of a Copper alloy. The picture can be seen in National Museums, Benin. While the Photo was Courtesy of Hunterian Museum And Art Gallery, university Of GLasgow.

Imagine how ignorant some of you are?Ooni of IléIfè statue was dug oout in Bini which date back to 14th century work, which was a gift to Oba Bini. Stil you kept portraying yourself as someone wjo can't comprehend affirmative or negative! I am surprised

Advice: be humble to accept the bitter but truth of Yoruba's pioneering influence on Edo people's production sector. [/

You said i brought only map now you go research it yourself excluding map bring account if people that existed in the world before 18th century all mention Benin kingdom but non of them mention Yoruba or Oyo it not that Yoruba really never existed that time but it was not a nation it was just a community of Benin and a little part of Dahomey. this was the reason it was not recognize until 18th century. but now Yoruba will come online saying what was not a nation was an empire please do you know what an empire means.
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 10:28am On Aug 20, 2019
goalernestman:
You said i brought only map now you go research it yourself excluding map bring account if people that existed in the world before 18th century all mention Benin kingdom but non of them mention Yoruba or Oyo it not that Yoruba really never existed that time but it was not a nation it was just a community of Benin and a little part of Dahomey. this was the reason it was not recognize until 18th century. but now Yoruba will come online saying what was not a nation was an empire please do you know what an empire means.

Find attached below:

cheesy grin shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Olu317(m): 12:51pm On Aug 20, 2019
@ goalernestman, it seems you are new to information or better still a very young lad. If you are in doubt, kindly go to your Edo Museum to view the photo of the Ooni's copper alloy that way dug out in Bini palace.

In perpetual shock do I realise that you have no idea of linear intellectual juxtaposition. Therefore, no attention shall be given to you until you go verify from National Museum in Edo state. In fact, I am disappointed that you don't know there is a National Museum in Edo State. grin cheesy. Wonders shall never end!

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 1:51pm On Aug 20, 2019
Olu317:
@ goalernestman, it seems you are new to information or better still a very young lad. If you are in doubt, kindly go to your Edo Museum to view the photo of the Ooni's copper alloy that way dug out in Bini palace.

In perpetual shock do I realise that you have no idea of linear intellectual juxtaposition. Therefore, no attention shall be given to you until you go verify from National Museum in Edo state. In fact, I am disappointed that you don't know there is a National Museum in Edo State. grin cheesy. Wonders shall never end!

That young man is a rookie! cheesy

@goalernestman in case you're still lurking around in the background, find attached the figure of the Ooni of Ife (dated to the early 14th century --- i.e., the early 1300s) that was placed in the Benin kingdom palace as a symbol of the suzerainty of the Ooni of Ife over Benin kingdom.

The concept is similar to the modern idea of placing the official portraits of Presidents and Governors in official buildings as a recognition of their authority.

Nice one Olu317

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Olu317(m): 3:22pm On Aug 20, 2019
TAO11:

That young man is a rookie! cheesy

@goalernestman in case you're still lurking around in the background, find attached the figure of the Ooni of Ife (dated to the century) that was placed in the Benin kingdom palace as a symbol of the suzerainty of the Ooni of Ife over Benin kingdom.

The concept is similar to the modern idea of placing the official portraits of Presidents and Governors in official buildings as a recognition of their authority.

Nice one Olu317

You deserve more praises with your articulated references. Kudos you, all the way to you.

Stay bless,

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 12:49am On Aug 21, 2019
TAO11:

Again, your willful ignorance is very thick.

Like I have schooled you earlier, the so-called Judy Evans is another random unknown layperson like your poor sorry self commenting on an everyday public online platform.

Stop being inferior to a layperson like your poor sorry self. Whatever the so-called Judy Evans wrote in her comment on the public online platform (including the supposed date and price of the "Benin artefacts" ) is only her wishful statement and thus unauthoritative.

Instead, you're expected to adduce an expert scholarly academic reference which dates the use of beads in Benin kingdom to the pre-Ewuare1 era --- in other words, to the 1300s or earlier, since Ewuare reigned in the 1400s.

It is only if you are able to do the foregoing that we can then discard the Benin tradition (which attributes the introduction of beads' use in Benin culture to Ewuare1) as nonsensical.

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 5:54pm On Aug 21, 2019
gregyboy

I have already given you a very detailed refutation to your foregoing comment in the Nairaland thread found at the following link:
https://www.nairaland.com/5314103/benins-first-educated-nigerians-dr/4#81452658

However, for the purpose of this particular thread here, below is an abridged version of the refutation:

You seek to establish the use of beads in Benin kingdom during the pre-Ewuare1 era (i.e. during the 1300s or earlier).

You seek to achieve this through the examples of indigenous Benin artworks which depict the use of beads, and which dates to the 1300s or earlier.

However, your attached screenshot of a Benin figure failed to achieve your desperate desired objective for the following reasons:

(1) Yes, the object is said to represent an indigenous Benin figure.

(2) Yes, the object is dated to the 1300s.

(3) But NO, it is uncertain if the object depicts the use of beads with any of its two necklaces.

This last point is the crux, and it is in fact not uncommon that early Benin artworks depict individuals adorning necklaces and body-bands other than beads, such as leopard's tooth necklaces and sometimes pieces of plain or twisted fibres (or ropes).

Examples of these other earlier forms of necklaces/body-bands (which later came to replaced by beads in later Benin artworks) are seen in the attached screenshots below.

In sum, you have failed once again to rubish the Benin tradition which claims that it was Oba Ewuare1 (1440 to 1473) who was responsible for introducing beads' use into Benin kingdom (see: here: http://www.edofolks.com/html/pub8.htm and here: https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/topic-essays/show/4?start=1)

In fact, assuming that beads were used in Benin kingdom during the pre-Ewuare1 era (although this assumption obviously contradicts Benin traditions as shown above); it is absurd to think that such a highly prestigious and royal material as beads (whose use in early times was exclusively reserved for members of the royal family and the chiefs) would have found its way to the neck of a palace clown/messenger. Think again!

With the foregoing argument, it then becomes definitively established that the early Benin figure of a dwarf palace clown/messenger certainly was not adorning a bead necklace.

Furthermore, your attached Wikipedia screenshot helps nothing of what you seek to achieve.

Your Wikipedia screenshot mentions that the bronze/brass casting tradition started in Benin kingdom in the 13th century (i.e., in the 1200s).

It is strange how you think this statement helps you achieve your desperate and obviously false objective that the use of beads in Benin kingdom predates the Ewuare1 era.

May be you would explain how the statement helps to achieve your false goal.

However, it is important that I mention here that this same point of your Wikipedia screenshot has already been mentioned in my comments where I alluded to the historical fact that bronze/brass casting tradition was introduced into Benin kingdom from Ife during the reign of Oba Oguola (1280 -1295) --- that is, in the 13th century.

There is, therefore, nothing which you have written or posted so far which overturns, or even slightly challenges, any of the arguments I have consistently and repeatedly been submitting and defending since over a month ago.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2019
nigeriaschoolne:

Great Ife! Obafemi Awolowo University, one of the best federal university is ready for her new intake this season. All that is needed is to know the requirements for the post Ume and get admitted into the prestigious university. The Nigeria School News (https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/) has brought this information to your doorstep. Get started here https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/oau-merit-list/

Smiles!
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by geosegun(m): 2:21pm On Aug 23, 2019
nigeriaschoolne:

Great Ife! Obafemi Awolowo University, one of the best federal university is ready for her new intake this season. All that is needed is to know the requirements for the post Ume and get admitted into the prestigious university. The Nigeria School News (https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/) has brought this information to your doorstep. Get started here https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/oau-merit-list/

Starting a blog with lies and unverified information brings about your blog's failure. You have no one to blame but you, if people dont visit your vblog.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 10:48pm On Aug 23, 2019
TAO11:
gregyboy

I have already given you a very detailed refutation to your foregoing comment in the Nairaland thread found at the following link:
https://www.nairaland.com/5314103/benins-first-educated-nigerians-dr/4#81452658

However, for the purpose of this particular thread here, below is an abridged version of the refutation:

You seek to establish the use of beads in Benin kingdom during the pre-Ewuare1 era (i.e. during the 1300s or earlier).

You seek to achieve this through the examples of indigenous Benin artworks which depict the use of beads, and which dates to the 1300s or earlier.

However, your attached screenshot of a Benin figure failed to achieve your desperate desired objective for the following reasons:

(1) Yes, the object is said to represent an indigenous Benin figure.

(2) Yes, the object is dated to the 1300s.

(3) But NO, it is uncertain if the object depicts the use of beads with any of its two necklaces.

This last point is the crux, and it is in fact not uncommon that early Benin artworks depict individuals adorning necklaces and body-bands other than beads, such as leopard's tooth necklaces and sometimes pieces of plain or twisted fibres (or ropes).

Examples of these other earlier forms of necklaces/body-bands (which later came to replaced by beads in later Benin artworks) are seen in the attached screenshots below.

In sum, you have failed once again to rubish the Benin tradition which claims that it was Oba Ewuare1 (1440 to 1473) who was responsible for introducing beads' use into Benin kingdom (see: here: http://www.edofolks.com/html/pub8.htm and here: https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/topic-essays/show/4?start=1)

In fact, assuming that beads were used in Benin kingdom during the pre-Ewuare1 era (although this assumption obviously contradicts Benin traditions as shown above); it is absurd to think that such a highly prestigious and royal material as beads (whose use in early times was exclusively reserved for members of the royal family and the chiefs) would have found its way to the neck of a palace clown/messenger. Think again!

With the foregoing argument, it then becomes definitively established that the early Benin figure of a dwarf palace clown/messenger certainly was not adorning a bead necklace.

Furthermore, your attached Wikipedia screenshot helps nothing of what you seek to achieve.

Your Wikipedia screenshot mentions that the bronze/brass casting tradition started in Benin kingdom in the 13th century (i.e., in the 1200s).

It is strange how you think this statement helps you achieve your desperate and obviously false objective that the use of beads in Benin kingdom predates the Ewuare1 era.

May be you would explain how the statement helps to achieve your false goal.

However, it is important that I mention here that this same point of your Wikipedia screenshot has already been mentioned in my comments where I alluded to the historical fact that bronze/brass casting tradition was introduced into Benin kingdom from Ife during the reign of Oba Oguola (1280 -1295) --- that is, in the 13th century.

There is, therefore, nothing which you have written or posted so far which overturns, or even slightly challenges, any of the arguments I have consistently and repeatedly been submitting and defending since over a month ago.

The problem i have with you read with your eyes close you very wide read no doubt you still very blind because of prejudice or tribalism if i may say....
Whatsoever you intend to call what was on that sculpture neck i woukd love to head it...

In the old benin dwarfs were owned by the oba they were personal messenger for the oba... And yez they were Royal so they wore bead ...beads has hierarchy... The lower chiefs wears just single beads the higher chiefs wears cony beads upto the neck level which is similar to the oba....
The dwarf wore a single bead's because he was a lower in royalty for that schlpture of a dwarf to
Made it must have been dear to obas heart... Now look again

Compare that single round bead on dwarfs necks and compare it to a single beed of the cony beeds on the oba necks...

If you still blind to see it...then i have no choice to convince you anymore but leave you faith to you

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 7:29am On Aug 24, 2019
gregyboy:

[s]The problem i have with you read with your eyes close you very wide read no doubt you still very blind because of prejudice or tribalism if i may say....
Whatsoever you intend to call what was on that sculpture neck i woukd love to head it...

In the old benin dwarfs were owned by the oba they were personal messenger for the oba... And yez they were Royal so they wore bead ...beads has hierarchy... The lower chiefs wears just single beads the higher chiefs wears cony beads upto the neck level which is similar to the oba....
The dwarf wore a single bead's because he was a lower in royalty for that schlpture of a dwarf to
Made it must have been dear to obas heart... Now look again

Compare that single round bead on dwarfs necks and compare it to a single beed of the cony beeds on the oba necks...

If you still blind to see it...then i have no choice to convince you anymore but leave you faith to you[/s]

Your blindness to truth is willful and self-inflicted.

The accompanying documents which you had attached some days ago clearly describe this metal sculpture of a dwarf as a palace clown and servant.

Yet you dared to associate such dwarf clown and slave represented by this sculpture with the word "royalty".

For God's sake, "royalty" is a word meaning "members of a royal family" --- Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

How on earth, by any stretch of the imagination, did you come to the conclusion that the palace dwarf clown and servant depicted by the sculpture is a member of the Oba's family?

Your desperation to push beads' use to the pre-Ewuare1 era (contrary to well established and strongly held Bini traditions) has led you to the foregoing unavoidable laughable contradiction. How would you get out of this?

In sum, as I have mentioned to you earlier:

(i) The mere fact that the dwarf sculpture depicts the use of two pieces of necklaces is not sufficient as proof that he adorns beads, especially when such conclusion is not entirely clear from the sculpture itself.

(ii) The fact that the sculpture describes a palace clown and servant establishes definitively that he wasn't adorning beads, as beads (in earlier times) are the exclusive preserve of the Oba and members of his family and the chiefs.

(iii) Moreover, I have shown (with images) in my previous comment that a number of some Benin bronzes clearly depict the use of necklaces, other than beads, such as made of leopard's teeth, or made simply of fibers.

(iv) Lastly, your second attachment here is irrelevant because, firstly, the plaque dates to the post Ewuare1 era.

Refer to: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/310752

Secondly, although some of the necklaces and collars shown in the plaque are not entirely clear, the middle figure very clearly depicts the use of a long beaded necklace.

This again corroborates the Benin tradition that beads' use was introduced into Benin kingdom by Oba Ewuare1.

Cheers! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by NewAgeLagos: 12:35pm On Aug 24, 2019
Nice pictures.will like to do business with some of our brothers and sisters over there. Have some nice carvings they might be interested in.is the any website or forum where i can post some of my works.?
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 12:40pm On Aug 24, 2019
TAO11:

The accompanying documents which you had attached some days ago clearly describe this metal sculpture of a dwarf as a palace clown and servant.

Yet you dared to associate such dwarf clown and slave represented by this sculpture with the word "royalty".

For God's sake, "royalty" is a word meaning "members of a royal family" --- Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

How on earth, by any stretch of the imagination, did you come to the conclusion that the palace dwarf clown and servant depicted by the sculpture is a member of the Oba's family?

Your desperation to push beads' use to the pre-Ewuare1 era (contrary to well established and strongly held Bini traditions) has led you to the foregoing unavoidable laughable contradiction. How would you get out of this?

(i) The mere fact that the dwarf sculpture depicts the use of two pieces of necklaces is not sufficient as proof that he adorns beads, especially when such conclusion is not entirely clear from the sculpture itself.

(ii) The fact that the sculpture describes a palace clown and servant establishes definitively that he wasn't adorning beads, as beads (in earlier times) are the exclusive preserve of the Oba and members of his family and the chiefs.

(iii) Moreover, I have shown (with images) in my previous comment that a number of some Benin bronzes clearly depict the use of necklaces, other than beads, such as made of leopard's teeth, or made simply of fibers.

(iv) Lastly, your second attachment here is irrelevant because, firstly, the plaque dates to after the post Ewuare1 era (Refer to: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/310752); and secondly, although some of the necklaces and collars shown in the plaque are not entirely clear, the middle figure very clearly depicts the use of a long beaded necklace.

This again somewhat corroborates the Benin tradition that beads' use was introduced into Benin kingdom by Oba Ewuare1.

Cheers! cheesy

Lol...you know nothing about the benin history youngman you know nothing about ewaure even 8f you have read it all you can know it more the people .....

Even after ewuares reign beads were alocated to warriors like the one i posted warriors in benin wore bead not because they arr off royal blood as you claim because they are under royal authorites the civil war in benin that occured during the 15c was a result of beeds giving to a palace chiefs wives by a criple .... This shows that beeds were alocated to anyone by the command of royalty and yes the dwarf wore beads the oba owns dwarfs any dwarf dear to the oba was. Given beads as rewards ....

Dont get it wrong this is the law in benin if you are not of benin decent you cant be given royal authority of any....but you could adorn with beads
if you claim the necklace on his neck was not bead i wonder what it was
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2019
gregyboy:

[s]Lol...you know nothing about the benin history youngman you know nothing about ewaure even 8f you have read it all you can know it more the people .....

Even after ewuares reign beads were alocated to warriors like the one i posted warriors in benin wore bead not because they arr off royal blood as you claim because they are under royal authorites the civil war in benin that occured during the 15c was a result of beeds giving to a palace chiefs wives by a criple .... This shows that beeds were alocated to anyone by the command of royalty and yes the dwarf wore beads the oba owns dwarfs any dwarf dear to the oba was. Given beads as rewards ....

Dont get it wrong this is the law in benin if you are not of benin decent you cant be given royal authority of any....but you could adorn with beads
if you claim the necklace on his neck was not bead i wonder what it was[/s]

I almost skipped replying this. cheesy grin

Go back, one more time, to my comments here and you will notice that I have consistently maintained that the use of beads in early times was the "exclusive preserve of the Oba and members of his family and the chiefs".

I never restricted my mention to the king and his family, stop pretending that I did. cheesy

Having clarified that, I should mention very clearly and emphatically to you that it is known in the history of the Benin kingdom that being a war general is not mutually exclusive to being a chief.

The example of Benin generalissmo Chiefs Ezomo, Iyase, Ologbotsere, etc. (which are quite similar in stature to the Yoruba generalissmo Chiefs Balogun, Jagunmolu, etc.) quickly comes to mind.

On the other hand, the dwarf sculpture under consideration here (which dates to the 1300s) was clearly described by the accompanying documents as representing a dwarf who served as a palace "clown" and as an errand slave.

How on earth could you have conceived of a person of such "status" as one of the king's chief, let alone as a member of the king's family?

How on earth could you have imagined that a person of such "status" would have been adorned with an ornament reserved for the king, his family members, and his chiefs?

In the light of the foregoing illumination, it becomes quite clear that what remains standing tall in all of these is the Benin tradition which states unequivocally that it wasn't until in the mid to late 1400s that the use of beads was introduced into Benin kingdom by Ewuare1.

This conclusion becomes even more appreciated when one realizes that other than necklaces made of beads, a number of Benin sculptures have been clearly observed to be adorning necklaces made of other materials such as leopard's teeth or mere fibers.

Cheers!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 2:37pm On Aug 25, 2019
TAO11:

(iv) Lastly, your second attachment here is irrelevant because, firstly, the plaque dates to after the post Ewuare1 era (Refer to: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/310752); and secondly, although some of the necklaces and collars shown in the plaque are not entirely clear, the middle figure very clearly depicts the use of a long beaded necklace.

This again somewhat corroborates the Benin tradition that beads' use was introduced into Benin kingdom by Oba Ewuare1.

Cheers! cheesy

Did you say royalty mean bloodline alone haha funny yoruba clown no wondwr the igbos call them slaves the hausa call ypu cunny
Lets take a look at royalty meaning

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 3:30pm On Aug 25, 2019
gregyboy:

[s]Did you say royalty mean bloodline alone haha funny yoruba clown no wondwr the igbos call them slaves the hausa call ypu funny
Lets take a look at royalty meaning[/s]

Yes, ROYALTY refers to "MEMBERS OF a royal family". --- Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

I leave it to your imagination to decide if palace errand servants are also members of the kings family. cheesy grin

Furthermore, I hope that by your screenshot here you do not intend to insanely spin your howler and then claim that you meant a 'ship', or a 'boxer', or even an amount of 'money' when you referred to the Benin sculpture of the dwarf as a "royalty" grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2019
TAO11:

Yes, ROYALTY refers to "MEMBERS OF a royal family". --- Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

I leave it to your imagination to decide if palace errand servants are also members of the kings family. cheesy grin

Furthermore, I hope that by your screenshot here you do not intend to insanely spin your howler and then claim that you meant a 'ship', or a 'boxer', or even an amount of 'money' when you referred to the Benin sculpture of the dwarf as a "royalty" grin

I dont care if you admitt youre wrong

A possible why the dwarfs who were palace slaves or clown as you say got to wore royal beads...is

It could be that out of the royal house a dwarf was born would that makes him a slave or commmoner automatically because he he was born a dwarf and they neglect is royal lineage ....we also know in history people were favour beyond thier status because of their great deeds what you said could be true no doubt that he was slave from another tribe and he taking to the palace as a clown but what if later on this said slave found favour in the eyes of the oba
and he acknowledged him for his great deed and bestow him a bead there are many stories in benin that the oba acknowledged commoners and even slaves with beeds in benin.....

Does it make sense....

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 4:41pm On Aug 25, 2019
TAO11:

What why do they call them “royal guards"

It stated members of royal family meaning not by blood only both the chiefs the dukes families and any body else who stool is royal to the kingdom

Yorubas is this who you bring to debate me ....
Little wonder why benins conqured the yorubas state upto ife...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / Why Akatas Treated Better Than Africans Abroad? / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.