Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,656 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:53 PM

Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? (26146 Views)

Can You Cook Your Meals With Shea Butter? (pictures) / This New Restaurant Called Spyce Uses Only Robots To Cook All Its Meals (video). / What Meals Do I Need To Avoid To Stop Growing Fat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 12:34pm On Jun 10, 2019
I used to chew it until I found out you’re supposed to just swallow it

Edit:
Didn’t phrase my question clearly.
I mean ‘swallows’ like pounded yam, amala, semolina etc.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by CaptainMitch: 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2019
I still chew it, especially pounded yam and white soup with plenty goat meat. But i eat with a spoon, never my hand.

15 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 12:38pm On Jun 10, 2019
CaptainMitch:
I still chew it, especially pounded yam and white soup with plenty goat meat. But i eat with a spoon, never my hand.
I usually use my hand

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ToyinDipo(m): 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2019
I chew all day, any day. Though I was always corrected for it.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Teddiie(f): 3:27pm On Jun 10, 2019
I chew mine.Never knew I was supposed to swallow it until a friend told me but I still chew it..

26 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2019
I chew but I eat fast. I try to remind myself when I eat to slow down, take my time and not eat like a goat. You're supposed to chew food an average of 32 times before swallowing - b|c it takes that many times to break them down. Of course, soft, water-filled, non-solid food can require less chews, like watermelon, while others can require up to 40 chews, like nuts and hard meat.

ibkayee:
Sure, if it's food you swallow: poundo, amala, etc. But other than that you're supposed to chew food. Who told you this, Ib? smiley

6 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2019
theButterfly:
I chew but I eat fast. I try to remind myself when I eat to slow down, take my time and not eat like a goat. You're supposed to chew food an average of 32 times before swallowing - b|c it takes that many times to break them down. Of course, soft, water-filled, non-solid food can require less chews, like watermelon, while others require up to 40 chews, like nuts and hard meat.

Sure, if it's food you swallow: poundo, Amala, etc. But other than that you're supposed to chew food. Who told you this, Ib?
Wow I didn’t know there were technicalities to chewing. Asides my swallow meals, I’ll definitely bear it in mind for everything else. I’m also a fast eater embarassed cheesy

Haha sorry I’ve confused you, I meant only foods categorised as ‘swallow’ e.g poundo, amala etc. I chew everything else e.g. the meat etc lol
Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 4:14pm On Jun 10, 2019
ToyinDipo:
I chew all day, any day. Though I was always corrected for it.
Lool my twin

6 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 4:14pm On Jun 10, 2019
Teddiie:
I chew mine.Never knew I was supposed to swallow it until a friend told me but I still chew it..
Happy to hear I’m not the only one cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 10, 2019
If i don't chew it i can't swallow it... forever chewing

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 10, 2019
ibkayee:

Wow I didn’t know there were technicalities to chewing. Asides my swallow meals, I’ll definitely bear it in mind for everything else. I’m also a fast eater embarassed cheesy
Well, yes, there are. But lol, who's counting while chewing, tho? Most of us don't, however, it's def. good to keep in mind b|c it aids digestion and prevents overeating - you feel fuller longer when you eat slowly than fast. French people eat slowly, which is one of the reasons not many of them are obese, compared to America's colossal 34%. They live longer and have lower death rates too. While there are definitely other factors behind these, I think their eating habits play a huge role.

ibkayee:

Haha sorry I’ve confused you, I meant only foods categorised as ‘swallow’ e.g poundo, amala etc. I chew everything else e.g. the meat etc lol
Lol, that makes sense. I was thinking, 'Ahhnn ahnn, how can I just be swallowing anything w/o chewing?'. shocked grin
Just imagine how many people would be flooding the ER if that were the case.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 9:46pm On Jun 10, 2019
theButterfly:
Well, yes, there are. But lol, who's counting while chewing, tho? Most of us don't, however, it's def. good to keep in mind b|c it aids digestion and prevents overeating - you feel fuller longer when you eat slowly than fast. French people eat slowly, which is one of the reasons not many of them are obese, compared to America's colossal 34%. They live longer and have lower death rates too. While there are definitely other factors behind these, I think their eating habits play a huge role.

Lol, that makes sense. I was thinking, 'Ahhnn ahnn, how can I just be swallowing anything w/o chewing?'. shocked grin
Just imagine how many people would be flooding the ER if that were the case.

It's a useful thing to know smiley

Lool imagine trying to swallow a whole ponmo whole grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by 3RNEST(m): 10:02pm On Jun 10, 2019
I chop it embarassed

33 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Thegamingorca(m): 8:41am On Jun 11, 2019
CaptainMitch:

Nah hand boiz dey use

And I chew

1 Like

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Odunharry(m): 3:12pm On Jun 11, 2019
Swallow straight. How do people even chew eba, fufu, semo etc? Pounded yam maybe

130 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Bojack(m): 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2019
CaptainMitch:
I tried using spoon once..... it was like using chopsticks, I didn't even know which one to pick first

3 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 3:44pm On Jun 11, 2019
Bojack:
I tried using spoon once..... it was like using chopsticks, I didn't even know which one to pick first
Lmao

1 Like

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by bigl: 5:30pm On Jun 11, 2019
ibkayee:

I do chew before until the day bone from fish stood gidigba across my throat... big ball of eba couldn't push it and i suffered for some hours ... so since that day, even if na akamu (pap), i will chew .... fear of bones is the beginning of wisdom

5 Likes

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 5:46pm On Jun 11, 2019
bigl:

I do chew before until the day bone from fish stood gidigba across my throat... big ball of eba couldn't push it and i suffered for some hours ... so since that day, even if na akamu (pap), i will chew .... fear of bones is the beginning of wisdom
Lool sorry

1 Like

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by dominique(f): 6:06pm On Jun 11, 2019
How is it even possible to swallow food directly without grinding it properly first?

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 6:10pm On Jun 11, 2019
dominique:
How is it even possible to swallow food directly without grinding it properly first?
I mean swallows like pounded yam, amala etc. Didn’t phrase my question clearly, I’ve edited it
Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by dominique(f): 6:21pm On Jun 11, 2019
ibkayee:

I mean swallows like pounded yam, amala etc. Didn’t phrase my question clearly, I’ve edited it

I know. I just can't figure out how one can swallow morsels of food without chewing first.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ibkayee(f): 6:27pm On Jun 11, 2019
dominique:

I know. I just can't figure out how one can swallow morsels of food without chewing first.
Ah ok, lol apparently it’s meant to be swallowed, excluding the big chunk of meat of course lol

1 Like

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by dominique(f): 11:02pm On Jun 11, 2019
ibkayee:

Ah ok, lol apparently it’s meant to be swallowed, excluding the big chunk of meat of course lol

Me I can't o.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2019
My immediate younger brother still chews his own till date.
Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by zone51: 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2019
Both
Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by ttemmi(m): 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2019
I chew in order to avoid swallowing stones in meals like Garri.
Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by InspireWealthB: 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2019
I can't remember ever chewing such meals. I have always swallowed them directly.

It would have been different though if I ate them with spoons

Checkout Infoguider for latest tips on different topics

1 Like

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Nairalandmentor(m): 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2019
shocked

1 Like

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by Jmk9292(m): 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2019
Hmm..The thought or picture of one chewing swallows (garri, pounded yam, semo ,wheat, ) etc looks like you watching a dog eat swallows... Disgusting Huh? Swallows are to be swallowed without fear nor favour.. That can only be decent enough.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Chew Or Swallow Your ‘swallow’ Meals? by dingbang(m): 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2019
Please always chew solid food so it will turn into bolus which will aid digestion faster! angry

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Blackberry Bread For Sale In Lagos (PHOTO) / Snake Venom, World’s Strongest Beer Contains 67.5% Of Alcohol / 10 Foods That Damage Your Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.