Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,759 members, 7,798,540 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words (16876 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by excanny: 10:43am On Oct 09, 2010
I never argued if she was Nigerian. Being Nigerian is different, being biased is another. The forum is to discuss Nigerian politics, sometimes a lovely discussion is going on, and all of a sudden it's moved into tribalism section. For what? I sometimes understand why she does that. But i think its better to delete the posts that are derailing like bk.babe comments and his likes, instead of moving the whole thread, with the intention of preventing tribal bashing. That is my point.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by kostadinis: 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2010
If languages are similar, what it means is that the people, knowingly or otherwise have met somewhere in the past, or that they shared common ancestry.

That of Yoruba, Igbo and Idoma is not an exception. Take a look:

Church----In idoma is known as UKA, in Igbo UKA as well. Dress---In idoma is UWE, in Igbo Is UWE. Garden Egg--in Idoma is Anyila, while in igbo is Anyala. Jaw chin in Idoma is Agba, In Igbo is Agba. Box in Idoma is Akpati or Igbe, In Igbo is Agbati or Igbe.

Bottle in Idoma is Ikpem, while in Igbo is Ekpem or kalama. Saftety Pin in Idoma is aga, in Igbo is aga. Mouth in Idoma is Okonu, while in Igbo is Onu. House is Uno in Idoma and Uno in Igbo. Orange is Alemu in Idoma while it is Oloma. Cup is IKO in Igbo while IKOGWU in Idoma etc. Think about it my people.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2010
^^^

Everybody knows Idoma and Igbo share common ancestry,

What will be shocking is if 10,000 years ago Yoruba and Igbo and "Edo" were one and the same. There's no proof of that, yet however.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by tpiah: 9:09pm On Oct 18, 2010
10000 years ago nobody in nigeria was where they are now.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by Abagworo(m): 8:23pm On Oct 20, 2010
One thing for sure is that even though they are different Igbos and Idomas love themselves.

1 Like

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by Becomrichn: 9:37pm On Mar 19, 2011
hmm
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by Obalufon: 5:32pm On Mar 23, 2012
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by victor1464(m): 7:50am On Oct 19, 2014
I know dat dis thread was created by an igbo man..i know dat very soon u will call d itsekiri man a yoruba man,u will call ndokwa/ukwuani man as igbo,u will call d ishan/etsako man as bini man,u will call efik man ibibio/annang....most tribes in nigeria ar linguistically similar to each other but r totally different.(even in foreign countries too).so igbo man dont be greedy,stop claimin d ekepeye,ikwerre,ika(abgor people),ogba,Ndokwa people as igbos..all these r ethnic minorities in nigeria.they r listed among d 250 ethnic group in nigeria and they r not part of igbo ethnicity...i also know dat d yoruba people dont claim d itsekiri land 2b theirs despite d similarities in language,d ijaws dont claim calabari anymore..so get dat into ur head.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by jolo26(m): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2015
semid4lyfe:

False! Ilaje people are in Ondo state and not Delta state.
i am itsekiri. some illaje communities re also in delta neighbours wit itsekiri

1 Like

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by jolo26(m): 9:59am On Apr 16, 2015
victor1464:
I know dat dis thread was created by an igbo man..i know dat very soon u will call d itsekiri man a yoruba man,u will call ndokwa/ukwuani man as igbo,u will call d ishan/etsako man as bini man,u will call efik man ibibio/annang....most tribes in nigeria ar linguistically similar to each other but r totally different.(even in foreign countries too).so igbo man dont be greedy,stop claimin d ekepeye,ikwerre,ika(abgor people),ogba,Ndokwa people as igbos..all these r ethnic minorities in nigeria.they r listed among d 250 ethnic group in nigeria and they r not part of igbo ethnicity...i also know dat d yoruba people dont claim d itsekiri land 2b theirs despite d similarities in language,d ijaws dont claim calabari anymore..so get dat into ur head.
mind u d itsekiri re yoruba children been monach by a benin prince. if they re nt yoruba y re they in OPC?

2 Likes

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by jolo26(m): 10:35am On Apr 16, 2015
kostadinis:
If languages are similar, what it means is that the people, knowingly or otherwise have met somewhere in the past, or that they shared common ancestry.

That of Yoruba, Igbo and Idoma is not an exception. Take a look:

Church----In idoma is known as UKA, in Igbo UKA as well. Dress---In idoma is UWE, in Igbo Is UWE. Garden Egg--in Idoma is Anyila, while in igbo is Anyala. Jaw chin in Idoma is Agba, In Igbo is Agba. Box in Idoma is Akpati or Igbe, In Igbo is Agbati or Igbe.

Bottle in Idoma is Ikpem, while in Igbo is Ekpem or kalama. Saftety Pin in Idoma is aga, in Igbo is aga. Mouth in Idoma is Okonu, while in Igbo is Onu. House is Uno in Idoma and Uno in Igbo. Orange is Alemu in Idoma while it is Oloma. Cup is IKO in Igbo while IKOGWU in Idoma etc. Think about it my people.

i beg na lie.wen u quote itsekiri and yoruba it is uderstandable cos 90% of itsekiri words re pure yoruba. if u say ibo and yoruba re related century ago na lie. or wat do u say bout itsekiri dat speak some potuguess lang. will u say they came frm one place thousands yrs ago? no but it due to d intermingling of both pple hundred of yrs ago for biz. purpose

1 Like

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by jolo26(m): 7:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
victor1464:
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by hurrycayne: 8:39pm On May 12, 2018
I hope we all know that edoid, yoruboid and igboid languages fall under one language group... The Kwa language group? This means they probably had a common source. This does not mean they are the same Language as the difference between them has become more than the similarity. So please let us stop this battle of superiority that will never end, because no Edo person worth his salt will agree he is Yoruba or descended therefrom and no Igbo person will agree they are Edo. These three peoples have influenced eachother culturally some more than others and this should be reasons for unity not discord .
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by hurrycayne: 8:47pm On May 12, 2018
Vha ku esuo, vha suọ

Also, going outside Nigeria to far far edeli iibo (Europe), English, German, Dutch and Afrikaans (spoken in south Africa) all fall under the Germanic group of languages. They had history together, but no German will claim he's English and no Dutch will claim Afrikaans. Their languages have similarities, however they are different languages with different cultures.
Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by davidflipcy5856(m): 5:54am On Jun 08, 2019
ezeagu:

I wasn't talking about the Atlantic slave trade, I was talking about all the slave trades happening before the Atlantic opened up. There have been population groups such as the Olukwumi who have migrated East and West. The Igbo and Yoruba definitely met, and this might be the reason for the Moremi-Igbo story, but even in this story the two groups aren't seen as one. There isn't even a hint of a common origin from both groups, most may just want to see one because they're thinking in terms of modern day Nigeria and its borders. The whole Kwa origin even includes Tiv people, which there's little to no similarity with.

With the Igbo and Yoruba, there's little to no similarity in governance, religion, art, customs, and other aspects.

People need to get enlightened. The Moremi-Ugbo story is not about the Igbos in Nigeria. It is actually the Ugbos in present day Ondo state. The reason for the constant raids on Ife by the Ugbos then was they were the first settlers in Ile-ife. They were chased out and they felt cheated hence the constant raids.

That's why you hear the King of Ugbo claiming to be the number one king in Yoruba land. He believed since they were the first settlers of Ife and Ife been the cradle of Yoruba race automatically he is the number king in Yoruba land.

2 Likes

Re: The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words by XAUBulls: 10:37am On Aug 09, 2023
Abagworo:
Ifife is breeze in igbo,enyi is elephant,ogede is plantain,ogede oyibo is banana,ewu is goat,gini also kini is what,oji is dark,ojiji also ijiji is darkness,atu is deer.nti is ear as against eti for yoruba,onu also enu or inu is mouth.

The truth is that both languages evolved from one proto language.
Bump.

The Yoruboid words in Northern Ibo lingo here came in via the Igalas. These are PURE loan words of Yoruba ethnic origins. The Igala language is Yoruboid just like Itsekiris whose parent ethnic group is Yoruba (Ijebus, Ilajes and Ifes) with some Bini-Edo exiled migration led by Prince Ginuwa, the son of the then Oba of Benin in the 1480s.

Many of the words that you listed up there that sound similar with Yoruba are PURE Yoruba words found in the Igala language.

Igala has far MORE Yoruba words in it of nearly 50% [if the percentage had hit 50% OR more, Igala would have been classified as a major
Yoruba dialect] than Ibo language which has a few loan words from Yoruba language via the indigenous Igalas of Anambra, Enugu, Kogi, and Delta States!

THE FOLLOWING WORDS BELOW ARE PURE YORUBA WORDS IN ORIGIN

Egungun [Spirit Masquerade. Egungun means bone or spirit-like masquerade. Igalas spell it as "Egwugwu"], Iba[Fever], Afefe [Breeze], Ogede [Plantain], Ewure [Goat], Kini? [What?], Erin [Elephant in Yoruba], Oyinbo [white or European], Eti [Ear in Yoruba], Ifa [The Yoruba Ifa religion], Enu [Mouth], Igbo [Bush] Olukumi or Oluku [Friend or protector], Omi [Water], Akuko [Cock in Yoruba], Ewa [Beans, but Igalas call and spell beans as "Egwa," got from Ewa in Yoruba language, etc].

There are many indigenous Igala settlements and bloodlines in Kogi, Anambra, Enugu and Delta States such as Igbokenyi, Enugu Ezike, Nsukka, Nteje, Aguleri, Nri, Asaba, Okpanam, Illah, Onitsha and other Igala-associated communities, so I'm NOT surprised by the CLEAR inflow of Yoruba [Yoruboid words knowing full well that Yoruba bloodlines in the Kogi State area make up a major part of the ancestry of Igalas]. Yorubas and Igalas are direct ancestral relatives from a fusion of DISTINCT ethnicities in the Niger River or Kogi confluence that took place about 600 years ago with migrants from the Wukari area of Taraba.

There was NO split from one proto language at all! Yoruba and Ibo are distinct ethnicities and languages and did NOT split from one proto language.

=> https://punchng.com/im-first-attah-in-igala-history-with-one-wife-ameh-oboni/

The late Attah of Igala Ameh Michael Oboni granted an interview to Punch in 2017 in the Weblink above where he affirmed that a SIGNIFICANT people of Yoruba and Edo bloodlines fused with the migrants who came from Wukari in Taraba State [Wukari is part of Jukunland] along the confluence of the Niger and Benue in Kogi. It is very CLEAR that it is the Yoruba ancestral and linguistic component of Igala that makes up what you call Igala ethnicity today! This is why you have the Yoruba words in Igala are also in Ibo as loan words because the Igalas also interacted with the aboriginal Ibos of Anambra and Enugu States. Indeed it was the Igalas that first introduced the RED CHIEFTAINCY CAP into the Nsukka area where we also had strong Igala interactions. The red cap then spread to other Ibo areas. [The Igala Yoruboid words got absorbed into the Northern Ibo language variant as loan words that you stated up in your post]. All these happened within the last 500 years.

https://www.academia.edu/34566647/IGALA_COLONISATION_OF_NORTHERN_IGBO_STATES_1450_18th_century

https://www.academia.edu/34560250/IGALA_COLONISATION_OF_NORTHERN_IGBO_STATES_1450_18th_century

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/08/11/essay-the-politics-of-igbo-origin-and-culture/

https://dailytrust.com/500-years-of-igalas-in-enugu/

https://dailytrust.com/igala-footprints-in-enugu/

https://newsprobeng.com/aguleri-people-are-igala-migrants-not-igbo/#:~:text=Elder%20Aniegboka%20however%20stated%20that,guise%20of%20communion%20and%20fellowship.

Aguleri people of Anambra from the last article link above are said to be Igala migrants. Aguleri only came into existence according to anUmueri source I read online about 400 years ago.

Even the man called Eri of Nri fame is an Igala. They introduced the kingship system and Ifa religion into the Nri area.
Nri had no kingship until the Igala arrival influenced it.

Indeed, another post from an Ebira elderly man that I read years back on FaceBook said he was
dissapointed that younger Igalas don't know their TRUE origins and that it was the fusion of Ebira Koto people and Yoruba [Akpoto] that gave rise to Igala people of today. The Yoruba ancestral component of Igala CANNOT be denied.

Cc: Sukkot,
Mynd44,
Nlfpmod,
Seun.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING: Court Issues Warrant Against Top Yoruba Monarch / "Village People" Fact Or Myth? / Nrurita Uka (debate In Igbo Language).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.