Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,811 members, 7,798,734 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist (17698 Views)

See The Definition Of Marriage A Student Gave That Is Trending Online. / Cambridge Dictionary Updates Definition Of 'WOMAN’ To Include Trans Women (Pics) / Oxford Dictionary Adds 29 Nigerian Words, Expressions In January Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by midolian(m): 9:42pm On Jun 10, 2019
kingscare1:
Fvck whites....they think we are inferior.
If not because of bad bad government in Africa.

I can ever believe they are superior.
We are one n someday we will be better than then.
Yinmu
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by justli: 9:48pm On Jun 10, 2019
On careful observation, no race in the world accommodates the blackman like the white man. England, America, France, Germany, ...these are countries blacks live in comfortably, protest against the govt when need arises and fear no harassment.

How about they go try that in Dubai, Saudi, china , India . In fact anywhere else in the world .

The people who sell the narrative that the white man is bad are the real enemies of the black man.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Ilekokonit: 9:50pm On Jun 10, 2019
Compare and Contrast between dictionary definitions of black and white :-

Some dictionary definitions of black are :- Soiled, dirty, evil; wicked; harmful, Covered in darkness or having no light, marked by anger or resentment or hostility, offering little or no hope, stemming from evil characteristics or forces, wicked or dishonorable, distributed or sold illicitly,disgraceful, full of sorrow or suffering; sad; dismal; gloomy, disastrous, sullen or angry: black looks, without hope: a black future
https://www.yourdictionary.com/black
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/black

Origin of the word white is from stereotypical notions of racial superiority
https://www.yourdictionary.com/white

And so, some of the dictionary definitions of white are as follows :-
Of the colour of milk or pure snow, the opposite of black, innocent, free from moral blemish or impurity, favorable, fortunate, morally or spiritually pure; spotless; free from evil intent; relatively harmless: white magic, a white lie, honest; honorable; fair; decent, happy; fortunate,
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/white
https://www.yourdictionary.com/white
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/white?utm_campaign=sd&utm_medium=serp&utm_source=jsonld
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by HarryDuce(m): 9:56pm On Jun 10, 2019
She does have a point though. The meaning of the word should be expanded to include more Positives. The definition is not racist, neither is there any political correctness in what she said. Blind conservatism will not kill some people.

1 Like

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by ibkayee(f): 9:57pm On Jun 10, 2019
Nice smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by HarryDuce(m): 10:04pm On Jun 10, 2019
justli:
On careful observation, no race in the world accommodates the blackman like the white man. England, America, France, Germany, ...these are countries blacks live in comfortably, protest against the govt when need arises and fear no harassment.

How about they go try that in Dubai, Saudi, china , India . In fact anywhere else in the world .

The people who sell the narrative that the white man is bad are the real enemies of the black man.
Know your history from the descendants of the affected. China, India Saudi Arabia did not colonise you and plunder your resources. Nobody cares about you-- including the white man you accord saintly reverence.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Timbuktuo: 10:07pm On Jun 10, 2019
AYFikayomi:

Lol, who calls Native Americans 'Reds'?

Besides ask someone what red means and he'll firstly say Love, before danger or passion.

But I am someone and I say red means danger. The thing is colours could very well carry a universal meaning or they probably won't. What is silly is trying to change centuries old meanings because of an abstract relationship to said colour.

When the colour black is used to signify mourning, does it mean black people signify mourning? This is madness and it's irritating.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by datigbogirl: 10:09pm On Jun 10, 2019
AYFikayomi:

STFU, I'm black and I'm not those words ascribed there, If you believe thats the way you and your people are, you can petition them to transfer the descriptions to your family name. (No offence).... All these self hating people on Nairaland feeling smart.

Continue "saucing" yourself up instead of changing from within, that's your right and your problem as well....
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Lukebryan2sure: 10:11pm On Jun 10, 2019
justli:
Until we blacks stop stereotyping ourselves in the name of boldness and speaking out, we won't make headway. Black is synonymous with dark. And you can extend that to light and darkness. But why drag the black race into the word 'black'

The other day CNN, interviewing lil Wayne tried to drag him into the white racism talk, but he boldly told them he has never experienced racism his whole life.

When he attempted killing himself, the black cops that came to the house were search for drug, it was a white man that carried him on his shoulder and then drove him to the hospital. Else he would have died that day.

My problem with these whole racial discrimination awareness is that, you're teaching the black kid that the white man is superior to him that's why he discriminates against him.

By now we ought to have outgrown this bullshit. If a white man pushes you, push him black. The white is so discriminatory, yet the voted a black president twice even though blacks make up less than 15% of the population.

We have to focus on teaching our children how to co-relate with the white, and not how to hate them and run away from them.

Hmmm words of wisdom
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 10, 2019
Basitelo1:
If na Nigerian website u for complain tire grin

For example Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Gerrard59(m): 10:26pm On Jun 10, 2019
justli:
The painful thing about inferiority complex is that nothing the other person does is ever good.

The white man gives free scholarship, Oh they are stealing our best brains

The white man give visa lottery , oh this is a way of exposing our peoples to western pervated culture.

In my way of thinking, the white man is more open minded, more loving, and more accommodating than the black man can ever be.

Rather than hold our broken homes and the increasing number of single parenting that has produced misfits in children accountable, we focus on the white man. We can never progress with the thinking that white man is our problem.

If you say it too loud, you will be called Uncle Tom. What we've these days are bunch of irresponsible, indolent and proponents of the victimisation policy who never take responsibilities for their actions. Asians don't whine like this yet they're competing head-on with Caucasians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Biggcake: 12:00am On Jun 11, 2019
kingscare1:

They are not whites but pink coloured.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by justli: 12:18am On Jun 11, 2019
Gerrard59:

If you say it too loud, you will be called Uncle Tom. What we've these days are bunch of irresponsible, indolent and proponents of the victimisation policy folks who never take responsibilities for their actions. Asians don't whine like this yet they're competing head-on with Caucasians.

Exactly the point. They just want things handed over to them after wasting their youthfulness in gangsterism while the Asian kid is busy bursting his ass writing codes.

1 Like

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Offpoint1: 1:08am On Jun 11, 2019
kingscare1:

Sorry sir, they're superior... every inventions in your house was from a white man. let's live with it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by bluefilm: 4:38am On Jun 11, 2019
Isinweke:

YOU'RE NOT MAKING ANY SENSE

CAN'T YOU READ?

TRY READ THE POST NAA

Sir, I am not responsible for how you comprehend anything, that is, if at all you have the capacity to comprehend...

Sorry.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by KayceeBanks: 5:22am On Jun 11, 2019
Courageous from the beautiful lady. Characterizes what you call "conscious vigilance". This kind of people white people hate.

Little things like this my black peeps overlook and tell ourselves it doesn't matter. But it DOES matter. The subconscious mind indiscriminately absorbs all information.

Imagine what this does to the young and innocent minds of black kids(the future of black people) who open a dictionary to read everyday.

No matter how whites try covering it up. Nature will always prove to them:
Black is dominant and all-encompassing, white is recessive and void.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Nobody: 5:47am On Jun 11, 2019
bluefilm:

Sir, I am not responsible for how you comprehend anything, that is, if at all you have the capacity to comprehend...

Sorry.
MY DEAR, YOU'RE A ZONBIE
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Mheez1Kizzkira(f): 6:52am On Jun 11, 2019
I thought black issa colour���
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Kingkun69(m): 8:19am On Jun 11, 2019
Basitelo1:
why you dey say Nigerian website u dey fear
If na NAIRALAND u for complain tire

1 Like

Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Alejobs: 8:52pm On Jun 16, 2019
Let's find our way back to love
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Amujale(m): 3:48am On Jul 28, 2019
Assuming our languages are used in formal education, the need to source from a Eurocentric viewpoint wont be there.

A nubiansic that continues to educate using a European language is prone to come accross those type of illogical Eurocentric viewpoints.

Apart from sketching a caricature, could any proffessional artist capture the photographic essence of these individuals they call "black" or would the colours used even remotely bear any resemblance to the colour black.

For instance, when i call my peers nubian, and the next guy calls me a 'black'sic person, my response is simple:

I'm a Nubiansic Yoruba, i am not black'sic, and then theres a long drawn argument.

Yes but, No but.....

Guess what the next guy calls me now?

Exactly.

Nubians are to take back control of the narrative.

I aint black, i'm nubian.

Anyone that really wants to see black, stay up late and look up into the heavens'.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by EgaiEtta(m): 6:53am On Jul 28, 2019
Basitelo1:
dem no for even answer am, lol.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by Amujale(m): 8:35pm On Jul 29, 2019
Racism is an allegory, a socio-scientific construct out of the term "race", which in the particular context is in itself an allegory.

The term "race" when expressed as to does with ethnicity or nationality, is a socio - scientific construct that has no real meaning outside of the social sciences.

People dont experience "racism", per se they experience; success, love, hate, discrimination, manufactured hatred, progress at work, progress at the place of trade, progress at the place of study, e.t.c

Most allegories have evil intentions.

Lets take for instance the term 'race'.

The real meaning of the term is expressed frequently in Olympic stadiums all accross the world.

The Jamaican athlete Usain Bolt holds the record for the 100 metres sprint race.

However, most allegories possess special hidden abilities as does the term "race' and all of its derivatives, when used in expressing ethnicity or nationality.

Lets take for instance a hyperthetical situation whereby one of these terms is in use.

'person A': That guy is a racist.

There are various things wrong with that statement.

(a) The statement is self-destructive, kills the petition of the person making the statement.

'Person A' was saying that in order to be heard?

Yet, that statement failed to deliver its main purpose.

From reading "person A' statement, one cannot ascertain any real information; its all absorbed by the allegory in his statement.

(b) There are unmitigated reactions that occur whilst terminologies of this type are used:

When 'person A' makes that statement, automatically certain reactions occur:

. 'Person A' will often knowingly or unknowingly experience inferiority complex.

Assuming 'person A' is know addressing 'person B" with the same type of terminogy?

'person A':  You are a racist.

"person B': Say what?

. 'Person A' will often knowingly or unknowingly experience inferiority complex...

. 'Person B' will often knowingly or unknowingly experience superiority complex.

Let's cease from using these foreign fancy words as they are often found to have been constructed with some possessing evil intentions as does the allegories coming out of the term 'race'.

The Eurocentric concept of 'race' is unproven.

There's ethnicity and nationality, there's nothing as multiple 'races'.

However, there is still only one known racesic on planet earth; the human race.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by BanevsJoker(m): 10:27am On Jan 13, 2020
derrydinny:
I hope Nigerians that don't hesitate to use words like black heart, black brain and black mind will also change for better

black doesn't mean evil, we should not let any religion or any grammarian tell us otherwise
Will Nigeria change their prison vehicle to White Maria?
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by BanevsJoker(m): 10:28am On Jan 13, 2020
TheLogicalMind:
Political correctness gone rogue again. They're confusing "black" as a colour with "black" as a racial classification.
I just dey laugh this modern day stupidity.
Re: Dictionary.com Plans To Update The Definition Of 'black' After Branded Racist by BanevsJoker(m): 10:31am On Jan 13, 2020
justli:
Until we blacks stop stereotyping ourselves in the name of boldness and speaking out, we won't make headway. Black is synonymous with dark. And you can extend that to light and darkness. But why drag the black race into the word 'black'

The other day CNN, interviewing lil Wayne tried to drag him into the white racism talk, but he boldly told them he has never experienced racism his whole life.

When he attempted killing himself, the black cops that came to the house were search for drug, it was a white man that carried him on his shoulder and then drove him to the hospital. Else he would have died that day.

My problem with these whole racial discrimination awareness is that, you're teaching the black kid that the white man is superior to him that's why he discriminates against him.

By now we ought to have outgrown this bullshit. If a white man pushes you, push him black. The white is so discriminatory, yet the voted a black president twice even though blacks make up less than 15% of the population.

We have to focus on teaching our children how to co-relate with the white, and not how to hate them and run away from them.
Uncle Bob saved his life. A white policeman.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NECO Releases 2017 June/july Results / We Don't Need More Lawyers/Banking, Finance Graduates In Nigeria: Nimi Princewil / FG Can’t Pay LAUTECH Workers’ Salaries – Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.