Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

If You Are A Corper Looking For Job, Come Here. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / If You Are A Corper Looking For Job, Come Here. (431 Views)

South Africa President Encouraged Lady Looking For Job To Keep Searching / I Need Any Job, Come To My Rescue / Woman With Placard Searching For Job For Her Husband In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If You Are A Corper Looking For Job, Come Here. by Sirwallace(m): 11:33pm On Jun 11, 2019
This might sound too late for the guys passing out of NYSC, but very useful to those who have few months or more to their POP.

It is no news that the labour market is highly congested due to high unemployment in the country. The recent custom and NNPC recruitment applications can attest to that. With over 500, 000 graduates applying for just 3200 openings in custom. God knows how many applied for NNPC. Who no wan chop oil money?
But as a young graduate still in service year, here are the few tips that can prepare you for a reality after that 19800 or is it 30k now stopped. Forget about that promise your uncle, aunty, pastor etc made to you to bring your CV and all that.

1. Start applying for job while you are still in service.

I wish I had known this while I was wasting away under that tree inside that school premises wasting away on social media and watching football highlights and comedy skits with heavy sunfly piercing off my skin in that Edor school compound. Bulks of those data could have been used to apply for so many online openings especially the international coys who carry out assessment online.
My first interview came from online application. that was close to 2months after NYSC.
I met a guy on nairaland who applied as graduate trainee as corp member awaiting POP who got a job at PWC. you can google the company. It is a big auditing firm who source for young graduate especially those who are still serving or those who are about to pass out.

2. Learn how to write CV and cover letter on your own.

As simple as this may sound, some people cannot write these documents on their own.
A CV is your point of contact to a recruiter. The content and job description on it will get you an interview invite. Not here to lecture on CV Write up or review. But trust me, you will surely need a good one to get you job invite. And note: a CV is not one in all documents for all applications. CV are tailored to a particular application. You can do more research on that.

As per cover letter, it is an extension of what you have on your CV that help to sell your skills and enthusiasm of the job to your prospective recruiter. Pls learn how to write one before your POP.

3 ASSESSMENT TEST AND EXAM.

Have you heard of GMAT, DRAGNET, GET QUALITY TEST, SHL TEST, PERSONALITY TEST? Did I hear no! Common! These are some of the test you write to get past the preliminary of most reputable organizations screening of candidates. From banks to oil and gas, telecom to FMCG Like P & G, they find these tests useful in screening applicants for their opening. Banks like GT, FIRST BANK, UBA, etc use them for screening of their candidates often. The first time i came across the GMAT past question materials was when Ogechukwu brought it to our lodge. I must confess, the tests are quite difficult but with practice of their past questions and answers, you can scale through them.
Get yourself some of their past questions. They are available online and start practicing before your POP cus trust me, time no dey to check time after POP.

4. COMPUTER SKILL.
Pls get a basic computer skill before you pass out. I am not saying you should become a programmer or some graphic designer. But at least, get a basic knowledge of window environments and Microsoft office suit. Microsoft Excel is a most pls. Go and learn it whether from someone or online like I did. You can download these package on your phone on playstore if you don't have system for practice. You can't survive in the corporate world without it. While at the lodge , I know 3 guys who can't even open a folder on a system.(wont mention names). Nobody will tell you this after your POP. they believe as a graduate, you ought to know all these.

Lastly guys, the competition out there is very high, how to beat it is to be proactive. Like i said earlier, I wish I knew what I know now. Would have saved me time and stress in landing a decent job.

Start early so you can finish strong.
See you at the top

Thank you!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Are A Corper Looking For Job, Come Here. by Blessing97(m): 1:23pm On Jun 13, 2019
Sirwallace:
This might sound too late for the guys passing out of NYSC, but very useful to those who have few months or more to their POP.

It is no news that the labour market is highly congested due to high unemployment in the country. The recent custom and NNPC recruitment applications can attest to that. With over 500, 000 graduates applying for just 3200 openings in custom. God knows how many applied for NNPC. Who no wan chop oil money?
But as a young graduate still in service year, here are the few tips that can prepare you for a reality after that 19800 or is it 30k now stopped. Forget about that promise your uncle, aunty, pastor etc made to you to bring your CV and all that.

1. Start applying for job while you are still in servive.

I wish I had known this while I was wasting away under that tree inside that school premises wasting away on social media and watching football highlights and comedy skits with heavy sunfly piercing off my skin in that Edor school compound. Bulks of those data could have been used to apply for so many online openings especially the international coys who carry out assessment online.
My first interview came from online application. that was close to 2months after NYSC.
I met a guy on nairaland who applied as graduate trainee as corp member awaiting POP who got a job at PWC. you can google the company. It is a big auditing firm who source for young graduate especially those who are still serving or those who are about to pass out.

2. Learn how to write CV and cover letter on your own.

As simple as this may sound, some people cannot write these documents on their own.
A CV is your point of contact to a recruiter. The content and job description on it will get you an interview invite. Not here to lecture on CV Write up or review. But trust me, you will surely need a good one to get you job invite. And note: a CV is not one in all documents for all applications. CV are tailored to a particular application. You can do more research on that.

As per cover letter, it is an extension of what you have on your CV that help to sell your skills and enthusiasm of the job to your prospective recruiter. Pls learn how to write one before your POP.

3 ASSESSMENT TEST AND EXAM.

Have you heard of GMAT, DRAGNET, GET QUALITY TEST, SHL TEST, PERSONALITY TEST? Did I hear no! Common! These are some of the test you write to get past the preliminary of most reputable organizations screening of candidates. From banks to oil and gas, telecom to FMCG Like P & G, they find these tests useful in screening applicants for their opening. Banks like GT, FIRST BANK, UBA, etc use them for screening of their candidates often. The first time i came across the GMAT past question materials was when Ogechukwu brought it to our lodge. I must confess, the tests are quite difficult but with practice of their past questions and answers, you can scale through them.
Get yourself some of their past questions. They are available online and start practicing before your POP cus trust me, time no dey to check time after POP.

4. COMPUTER SKILL.
Pls get a basic computer skill before you pass out. I am not saying you should become a programmer or some graphic designer. But at least, get a basic knowledge of window environments and Microsoft office suit. Microsoft Excel is a most pls. Go and learn it whether from someone or online like I did. You can download these package on your phone on playstore if you don't have system for practice. You can't survive in the corporate world without it. While at the lodge , I know 3 guys who can't even open a folder on a system.(wont mention names). Nobody will tell you this after your POP. they believe as a graduate, you ought to know all these.

Lastly guys, the competition out there is very high, how to beat it is to be proactive. Like i said earlier, I wish I knew what I know now. Would have save me time and stress in landing a decent job.

Start early so you can finish strong.
See you at the top

Thank you!

Wise words! Thanks a million.

(1) (Reply)

Make Thouasands Monthly On URL Social Media. / Accounting Officer Job At Artee Group Industries / Customer Service Manager Needed @onshore Oil And Gas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.