Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,765 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola (36598 Views)

JUST-IN: Buhari Renames Airports After Awolowo, Okadigbo, Danfodio, Others / Dangote To Hand Over Refurbished National Stadium, Abuja In November / Sunday Dare Relocates To MKO Abiola Stadium, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by lexy2014: 2:23pm On Jun 12, 2019
stormborn28:
just take a look at yourself...

Am looking at myself. Are u looking at urself?
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by lexy2014: 2:24pm On Jun 12, 2019
[quote author=CaptainVal post=79260831][/quote]

Una no want June 12 again or u think Abiola campaigned, contested election& died on top June 12 just because of public holiday?
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by TundeBricklayer: 2:25pm On Jun 12, 2019
Emotionss:
[color=#006600][/color]

I am talking about politics in general.
What makes your region better than Southeast
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by BluntBoy(m): 2:27pm On Jun 12, 2019
lexy2014:

Is it buhari that stole d mandate that he declared June 12 democracy day?

So, if a governor grants amnesty to a criminal, you will come and be asking if it was the governor that imprisoned him in the first place?

Buhari found himself in the position to right a wrong and he did it.
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Bizlifelines201: 2:27pm On Jun 12, 2019
Ugosample:

how about a govt that will heal the wounds of the aftermath of the pogrom and civil war on the igbos in Nigeria

I think that is long overdue too.

June 12 should be our democracy day tho, because of obvious reasons.

How about the memory of those like Late Chief SL Akintola, Alhaji Tafawa Hello, Alhaji Ahmadu Bello killed by the igbo-dominated mutineers. Let's be fair to others wink The northerners till date believed that the murder of their first set of leaders left an irreparable damage on their generations till date.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by lexy2014: 2:27pm On Jun 12, 2019
Hearme:

LoL, see how we have turned ourselves to. Someone built a stadium and another renamed it, who did well? If there was no structure there will be noting to rename. However, governance is a continuum and we must all agree that both leaders have done well in this regard.

They would have named d land 4d stadium after Abiola since its just about naming
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Chukwurah003: 2:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
Amuocha:
Eye service

You need brain service
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by farem: 2:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
olabisiolaniyi3:
which IBB e be like say you no get sense

When were you born?
Go back and show your parents this and they will slap you, unless if you were at the psychiatric at the time!
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Emotionss: 2:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
Ugosample:

we should have more political awareness in the South East

that is for sure

With how much stake we as Igbos have in Nigeria

we should have much more influence politically and as a lobby group than we currently have.

But let the country first take steps to heal the wounds of the war first

The Igbo don't really need any apologies from anyone. This victimized mentally is why Igbo are where they are politically today. The Igbos used to have influence politically I am still trying to understand what happened to the Igbo tribe politically.
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by jaytee01(m): 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
Ultimatezlant:
shey is obasanjo money that was used to build it
What has Buhari built with his own money?
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Chukwurah003: 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
hammerFC:

IF HIM LIKE, LET HIM RENAME ABUJA TO ABIOLA.

IT CHANGES NOTHING...

...who send you

1 Like

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Nyamuriflathead: 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
Ugosample:

Wasn't Nzeogwu also killed, among with Ironsi and manybither officers?

I'm not talking of renaming stadium or whatever

But remembering all those who were killed unjustly is a good step
like a memorial day

like the one in Rwanda

Those innocent women and children did not deserve to die in such manner

And igbo people did not deserve the economic emasculation of the 1970s

Joke of the century. I'd rather the country is divided than Mark a memorable day for biafra.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by zeusdgrt(m): 2:30pm On Jun 12, 2019
Softcash:

Some people are just too sadistic hearing this man doing anything they will be like....
What is foolish about recognizing and naming of a stadium after the man who help in actualizing democracy in Nigeria?

slowpoke!
Only foolish people support the foolish,so I understand just that urs is worst cz in addition to ur foolishness u are poor that's why yours is a disease
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by fx45(m): 2:30pm On Jun 12, 2019
micfoley:
LONG OVERDUE

GEJ really goofed by not doing this when he had the chance
What about the renaming of University of Lagos that you guys went on rampage against?

Stinking hypocrites!

Now you're all suddenly acting like you love Abiola and June 12
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by 9gerian: 2:32pm On Jun 12, 2019
@bolded is equally important, however, the concerned people must bury the hatchet and demonstrate the spirit / attitude of forgiveness.

To pave way for this kind of thinking, Gowon declared “no victor no vanquished” after the war.

Action: The SW people went out of their way to ensure all pre-war properties were returned to their owners. However, the same SW has been at the receiving end of very negative and evil wishes / campaigns (from the Igbos) regardless. This is inappropriate for the spirit of forgiveness, as other stakeholders may have observed this and consider such gestures as you mentioned as mere platitudes that would surely fail.

Bear in mind that it was a war, and wars are fought with no consideration for the opponent, else a loss is imminent.

Germany, France, Italy, Japan etc all fought wars and lost with heavy casualties. US even dropped an atomic bomb on Japan. But they all have one thing in common; they moved on and cooperated with a lot of strategic partners (USA, Britain, Russia etc) regardless of their previous war status as opponents. TBH, this is where the Igbos IMO may be getting it wrong.

Ugosample:

how about a govt that will heal the wounds of the aftermath of the pogrom and civil war on the igbos in Nigeria

I think that is long overdue too.

June 12 should be our democracy day tho, because of obvious reasons.

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Andy2274: 2:32pm On Jun 12, 2019
BluntBoy:

I posed that question to the person that asked Buhari to step down for Kingibe.

Buhari's government is legitimate. It cannot step down for Kingibe to reclaim a stolen mandate. However, it has done the right thing by legitimizing the victory of 1993.
. My brother the first right thing to do is for him and all past presidents and leaders to declear him a former president. Pay all his entitlement to the family including his vice too. They should be declared former president and IBB should be tried in court. All these naming something after him are formality. Why did the Yorubas and every body that are praising Bihari for naming a stadium after MKO today condemned GEJ when he named Unilag after him few years back?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by lexy2014: 2:33pm On Jun 12, 2019
BluntBoy:

So, if a governor grants amnesty to a criminal, you will come and be asking if it was the governor that imprisoned him in the first place?

Buhari found himself in the position to right a wrong and he did it.

For ur first question, look at ur comment. Am only following ur line of reasoning.

lexy2014:

Is it buhari that stole d mandate that he declared June 12 democracy day?

Since u say buhari is righting d wrong, how is my comment about buhari stepping down 4 kingibe different from righting d wrong? If he steps down for kingibe isn't that part of righting d wrong?
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Softcash(m): 2:34pm On Jun 12, 2019
zeusdgrt:

Only foolish people support the foolish,so I understand just that urs is worst cz in addition to ur foolishness u are poor that's why yours is a disease

I don't know why some people talk out of sense.
What's the reason why you called him foolish that's it?
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by SaintLucia: 2:34pm On Jun 12, 2019
Ugosample:

What is this one saying?

the tens of thousands that were killed participated in the coup?

You no get sense

Pogrom was BEFORE the war.

assuming that the igbo soldiers killed the leaders
an eye for an eye is justifiable
kill the igbo officers as well

But not only were igbo officers killed, a pogrom followed forcing igbos to flee IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY

Economic emasculation of the igbo man followed after the civil war as well and you think all these were justified?

Nigeria is a country filled with evil people

So I am not surprised someone is thinking like this
Go back to history. Your people died in the north because the Igbo were bragging in the north most especially in Kano that: "YES WE KILLED YOUR LEADERS , OUR BROTHER (IRONSI) IS NOW THE HEAD OF STATE SO DO YOUR WORST" You expected the northerners to fold their arms and watch you kill their people again when Ironsi refused to punish those coup plotters. And the coward Ojukwu that went to an unprepared war. I don't need to remind you why he ran away. No responsible country reward a coward that brought war to his country.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Scetrocom: 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2019
micfoley:
LONG OVERDUE

GEJ stupidly sidelined Yoruba due to his war with OBJ. He refused to listening to the voice of reason and concentrated all his effort to please North. He thought by doing that, he will be able to get their vote.
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by duality(m): 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Why can't Jonathan think of this instead of UNILAG?

You wouldn't have still appreciated it.

A great university like unilag, would have best immortalized Abiola than a stadium with little activities.

Go to Edo state, which of the two has more recognition.

-ABROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY

or

SAMUEL OGBEMUDIA STADIUM

Imagine having Ahmadu Bello University. Usman Dan fodio University, Obafemi Awolowo University and MKO University.

Truth is, this is a weak recognition compared to having him recognized with a university.

Of course, those who think they know so much will celebrate buhari and insult GEJ but they know nothing.

All the Abiola noise will soon end.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Kennydoc(m): 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2019
micfoley:
LONG OVERDUE

But he renamed UNILAG after Abiola and Yorubas resisted it.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by BluntBoy(m): 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2019
lexy2014:

For ur first question, look at ur comment. Am only following ur line of reasoning.

Since u say buhari is righting d wrong, how is my comment about buhari stepping down 4 kingibe different from righting d wrong? If he steps down for kingibe isn't that part of righting d wrong?

Buhari's government is legitimate. Stepping down is not a part of righting a wrong. Because Buhari's government is not a wrong until proven otherwise.

As far as things stand presently, Buhari cannot right a wrong by stepping down for Kingibe. We gave him our mandate. We didn't give him so that he can dash someone else.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by fx45(m): 2:37pm On Jun 12, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Why can't Jonathan think of this instead of UNILAG?
Both are properties of the federal government... So what's different? By the way, there's an already existing MKO Abiola Stadium in Ogun State, what's the use of naming another stadium after him if not foolishness?
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Ugosample(m): 2:37pm On Jun 12, 2019
9gerian:
@bolded is equally important, however, the concerned people must bury the hatchet and demonstrate the spirit of forgiveness.

To pave way for this kind of thinking, Gowon declared “no victor no vanquished” after the war.

Action: The SW people went out their way to ensure all pre-war properties were returned to their owners. However, the same SW has been at the receiving end of very negative and evil wishes / campaigns (from the Igbos) regardless. This is inappropriate for the spirit of forgiveness, as other stakeholders may have observed this and consider such gestures as you mentioned as mere platitudes that would surely fail.

Bear in mind that it was a war, and wars are never fought with no consideration for the opponent, else a loss is imminent.

Germany, France, Italy, Japan etc all fought wars and lost with heavy casualties. US even dropped an atomic bomb on Japan. But they all have one thing in common; they moved on and cooperated with a lot of strategic partners (USA, Britain, Russia etc) regardless of their previous war status as opponents. TBH, this is where the Igbos IMO may be getting it wrong.

war is war

But I'm talking about the Pogrom that was BEFORE the war

hope you get me?

The economic emasculation that followed to was after the war.

As for some misguided ones calling other ethnic group names....

some of them are still bitter about that happened

my grand ma for example carried that bitterness to get grave.
and to think four of her sons married Yoruba cheesy cheesy
was quite ironical

I believe those who are still bitter should let go of their bitterness
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Ikem11(m): 2:37pm On Jun 12, 2019
seunmsg:
History will be kind to PMB; the president who finally healed the June 12 would. Obasanjo would be agonizing shamelessly in pain wherever he is today. The senate in 2003 passed a resolution naming the Abuja stadium after MKO but Obasanjo refused to implement the resolution.

Jonathan also had the opportunity of implementing that resolution but he opted to play to the gallery by naming University of Lagos after MKO thereby reducing him to a Yoruba hero despite the fact that he payed the ultimate price for Nigeria’s democracy.

Correct your grammar first
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by olatade(m): 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
kuje prison should be named after baba obasanjo
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Ugosample(m): 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
SaintLucia:
Go back to history. Your people died in the north because the Igbo were bragging in the north most especially in Kano that: "YES WE KILLED YOUR LEADERS , OUR BROTHER (IRONSI) IS NOW THE HEAD OF STATE SO DO YOUR WORST" You expected the northerners to fold their arms and watch you kill their people again when Ironsi refused to punish those coup plotters. And the coward Ojukwu that went to an unprepared war. I don't need to remind you why he ran away. No responsible country reward a coward that brought war to his country.

look at what someone who claim to be sensible is typing
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Emotionss: 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
[/color][color=#006600]
TundeBricklayer:

What makes your region better than Southeast

All I am saying is that the Igbos are being left behind politically and I for one am not happy about that because I believe the Igbos can do better...... somehow I believe an igbo man is the solution to our economical issues.
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by Bizlifelines201: 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
Very soon, northerners will be demanding for compensation for the pogrom against their political leaders by the Igbo because they were killed in the first coup dominated by igbo military officers and the whole blaming game starts all over
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by zeusdgrt(m): 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
Softcash:

I don't know why some people talk out of sense.
What's the reason why you called him foolish that's it?
When you see the state of the nation and how is being govern,then you support it?I don't need a soothsayer to tell me you are foolish for supporting a foolish man
Re: Buhari Renames National Stadium Abuja After MKO Abiola by SaintLucia: 2:42pm On Jun 12, 2019
Ugosample:

look at what someone who claim to be sensible is typing
U want me to lie because I'm telling you the true?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ikpeazu Gives An Old Woman N1000 (photo) / '$1Billion Was Stolen Every Month Under Goodluck Jonathan' - Emir Sanusi / Naira Rain At NASS As Senators Collect N23.4m Each- The Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.