Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,914 members, 7,802,976 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

"People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB (1736 Views)

Tundun Abiola: I Pray They Dont Kill Nnamdi Kanu same Way They Killed My Father / Wow. I Never Knew Ojukwu And Buhari Were Friends - Pics / June 12: Biafra Agitator, Nnamdi Kanu Attacks Buhari Govt For Honouring Abiola I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Temtee11223344: 1:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
Former military president of Nigeria, Ibrahim Babangida, popularly referred to as IBB, has said that people have refused to hear his own side of the June 12, 1993, Presidential election saga.

General Babangida was widely criticized by Nigerians for annulling the June 12, 1993 Presidential election adjudged as the most credible election in the history of Nigeria.

The former military leader noted that he does not get the credit for conducting the 'freest election in Nigeria"

When asked to explain further if it was true that people dismissed his words because of the annulment of June 12 election, he said,

“That is right. They say, ‘he cancelled the freest election in the history but he annulled it’ but nobody gives me credit for conducting the freest election in the country.”

The former ruler said he was hopeful that the younger generation would understand why he annulled the election.

He added, “We try to rationalise why we did what we did but nobody is prepared to listen to us. So, it is a matter of time. One day, the younger generation will say they have heard one side and want to hear the other side of the story.

“Maybe by then we will have a better society that is prepared; that is well-informed of what happened within a period of their existence. They will then be able to say this is the true story.”

Babangida said no one had ever reflected the fact that he and the acclaimed winner of the election, MKO Abiola, were friends before and after the annulment.

When asked if he would publish his biography, he said, “I don’t know. People may not read it because it is coming from a dictator. A lot will say ‘he is the one who cancelled June 12 and that will kill everything that I have to talk about.

Read More Below

https://nigeriannewsweb.com/2018/04/18/june-12-abiola-was-my-friend-nobody-wants-to-hear-my-side-ibb/

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by hisexcellency34: 1:34pm On Jun 12, 2019
Trash

1 Like

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Mraphel: 1:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
Awolowo and Abiola the best president Nigeria never had.

Only in Nigeria Obasanjo the Grand father of corruption and most dislike politician in the West became president.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Racoon(m): 1:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
Tyrannt talking trash. angry A Babangida that could not hold his ground despite being the C-in-C even alleging that junior officers like the then Col.David Mark, Lt.Col.John Shagaya were pressurizing him not to acknowledge the late MKO Abiola as president?

Even the then Col.Umar Dangiwa towed the path of honour by resigning his commission over this same June-12 presidential election issue.Same way the then Brig.Gen.Ishola Williams confronted his military colleagues about it.

Unfortunately, the late MKO Abiola relationship with the Nigerian military dated back right from the Murtala days, so it was so naive of him to trust the likes of IBB, Abacha as well as some NADECO traitors

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by EdoBoyJazzie: 1:58pm On Jun 12, 2019
IBB is right you know.
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by babyfaceafrica: 2:01pm On Jun 12, 2019
super story
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by rbjay: 2:22pm On Jun 12, 2019
If ibb claimed to be mko's friend he is also qualified as his worst enemy]. In Yoruba parlance " ibb a person sighted first in the morning such person must go back to sleep again and pray to wake and not come in contact with such an evil incarnate as a person.
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by asfrank(m): 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
Of what good is a free and fair ELECTION if the result is not Used? Dumb Man

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Max8: 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
I wonder if this man re-read the trash he said here, u want people to praise u for organising the freest election and u still annulled it,IT'S LIKE BUILDING A BEAUTIFUL HOUSE AND DEMOLISH IT IMMEDIATELY,what a nonsensical statement,no wonder he is called evil genius.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Tomide007: 3:00pm On Jun 12, 2019
Mraphel:

Only in Nigeria Obasanjo the Grand father of corruption and most dislike politician in the West became president.
Don't know of the first paragraph cose people change when they are in power. But your second paragraph is nothing but the fact.
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
Hear your side of what?
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by sunnychibs(m): 3:33pm On Jun 12, 2019
assuming you died in 90's
Nigerians could have berated you a hero of democracy

*spits
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Donelli: 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2019
Mraphel:

Buhari would have been regarded as such, but we know better. Which calls to question the reality of this statement.
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
Racoon:
Tyrannt talking trash. angry A Babangida that could not hold his ground despite being the C-in-C even alleging that junior officers like the then Col.David Mark, Lt.Col.John Shagaya were pressurizing him not to acknowledge the late MKO Abiola as president?

Even the then Col.Umar Dangiwa towed the path of honour by resigning his commission over this same June-12 presidential election issue.Same way the then Brig.Gen.Ishola Williams confronted his military colleagues about it.

Unfortunately, the late MKO Abiola relationship with the Nigerian military dated back right from the Murtala days, so it was so naive of him to trust the likes of IBB, Abacha as well as some NADECO traitors
One thing I cannot take away from you is that you are learned and informed but most times you seem to be biased when it comes to arguments along party lines.

If only u can leave party and criticize from a neutral angle I think you will do well.

1 Like

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by Guestlander: 4:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
IBB had a gun to his head literally. But the great Maradona took the wimpy way.
Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by MaziOmenuko: 4:10pm On Jun 12, 2019
Mraphel:

Yea, if Buhari didn't win election to become president, we would have also thought he would have been the best president we never had.

Now we know better.

1 Like

Re: "People Forget MKO Abiola & I Were Friends, Nobody Wants To Hear My Side" - IBB by JonDon12: 4:34pm On Jun 12, 2019
If it was the freest and the best, why did you annul the election? Typical Cowherder Logic.

(1) (Reply)

USA / Obaseki: I Regret Not Joining PDP Earlier / Northerners Won’t Succumb To Intimidation In Southwest, NEF Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.