Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:42 PM

9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. (5068 Views)

Femi Gbajabiamia Hosts Some Of His Colleagues In The 9th Assembly / 9th Assembly: How North Central Governors Forced APC To Renege On Gbajabilamila / Prominent Senators Who May Not Return In 2019, 9th Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by CowHard: 4:58pm On Jun 12, 2019
The inauguration of the ninth assembly which took place on the 11th of June has come and gone but the events and proceedings are still worthy of discussion.
Senator Ahmed Lawan clinched the Senate presidency with Senator Ovie Omo-Agege clinching the deputy slot.

At the green chambers, Hon Femi Gbajabiamila clinched the speakership position while Hon Idris Ahmed Wase got the deputy speaker slot.
However, the aftermath of the NASS elections meant Igbos and South Eastern geopolitical zone got practically nothing.

The proceedings also highlighted the unpreparedness of Ndigbo in the polity and politics of Nigeria. The shameful outing brought to the fore, the lackadaisical and politics of vengeance inherent in this part of the country.

While the eventual winners of the NASS elections were vigorously campaigning and canvassing for votes, our lawmakers went holidaying, expecting to be handpicked and decorated with the winners medal.

The two high ranking senator-elects in the person of the immediate past governor of Imo state, Rochas Okorocha and his Imo counterpart, senator Uwajumogu who were in a better position to clinch the elective slots were tactically chased away from the national assembly complex with the court while Ndigbo watched and cheered.

Before the composition of the NASS leadership, South East had three elected senators on the platform of the ruling party APC which are Rochas Okorocha, Orji Kalu and Senator Uwajumogu of Imo north senatorial district.
But in a dramatic fashion, two out of the three elected senators had their certificates withdrawn, leaving the region with just a single member in a chamber of 109 senators.

I'm not a fan of Rochas Okorocha and his #iberiberism governance in Imo state but the role he was to play at the red chambers supersedes whatever ills that characterized the politics of Imo state.

Politics calls for a serious permutations and calculations. Gone are the days of ethnic jingoism and victim mentality.
Femi Gbajabiamila toured virtually all the states of federation canvassing for support but ours was to cheer as the only options with a brighter chance got schemed out by the very hegemonic cabals.

We readily cry of being marginalized but in the truest of the whole issue, we are the architect of our misfortune.
The South east has never hidden their hatred for the APC led federal government hence the indifference in the imbroglios that schemed out her bright prospects from the NASS leadership composition.

To compound the whole scenario, the region presented, or rather nominated senator Ike Ekweremadu for senate deputy slot. This is a senator that has held the deputy president position for a record 12 years. The same senator left a bitter taste in the mouth of the ruling party when he clinched his position through the back door at the composition of the 8th Senate.

He was rousingly defeated by his competitor thus seeing to a decline in his political influence.

At the moment, Igbos are left with no strong political force and a strong contender for the 2023 election even if it's zoned to the region.
To Ndigbo, the composition of the NASS leadership is a mere jamboree but to others, it's a warm up to the next general elections.

The dearth of politics of alignment has made the region to be more or less onlookers in the leadership composition of the federation.
At a point, we claim not be interested in the politics of the country but before one says jack, we are back crying of being marginalized.

The South west aligned, lobbied and were rewarded with ministerial portfolios despite enjoying the vice presidency slot.
Raji Fashola is the minister for works, housing and power. Three powerful portfolios!!
Where went my brothers when the food was being served?

Under the PDP, we cried, wept and wailed of marginalization. Is there anything wrong if we give the current ruling party a try? I thought they said there's no harm in trial?
Igbos, while we fight ourselves to destruction, strangers are busy scooping and taking up the slots meant for us.

Odoh Ugochukwu writes from Enugu Ezike

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by mcjohny(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2019
regional politics. let this Igbo people be. something you give attention always is either its stronger than you or something you fear. I still don't want to believe...

9 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Yyeske(m): 5:06pm On Jun 12, 2019
True to the last word, would Ndigbo ever learn after this?
Politics and democracy is about numbers and interests, not emotions and hatred Ndigbo are practising now.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by capitalzero: 5:17pm On Jun 12, 2019
Nothing lasts forever.in 2011, both vp and speaker came from northwest and deputy speaker and dsp from south east.South west and north east had none. In the future, things will change.politics is dynmics and lagos money will not be available forever.

16 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by UAE123(m): 5:19pm On Jun 12, 2019
I really like your write up & I will add by encouraging the south easterners to think of a better way of making their voice & say strong in both the 2 leading parties of PDP & APC rather than only the PDP. They should also look at the prospect of making APGA a force to be reckon with in the south east so that the 2 leading parties may need their (APGA) support & cooperation during general elections thereby allowing APGA to negotiate a better deal for the south easterners

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by CowHard: 5:27pm On Jun 12, 2019
capitalzero:
Nothing lasts forever.in 2011, both vp and speaker came from northwest and deputy speaker and dsp from south east.South west and north east had none. In the future, things will change.politics is dynmics and lagos money will not be available forever.

You forgot South west already enjoyed an interrupted 8 years at the presidency?

2 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by PaChukwudi44(m): 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
Yyeske:
True to the last word, would Ndigbo ever learn after this?
Politics and democracy is about numbers and interests, not emotions and hatred Ndigbo are practising now.
Emotions and sentiments? On what basis exactly did the north and even parts of the sw vote for Bihari? National development?

18 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by PaChukwudi44(m): 5:39pm On Jun 12, 2019
UAE123:
I really like your write up & I will add by encouraging the south easterners to think of a better way of making their voice & say strong in both the 2 leading parties of PDP & APC rather than only the PDP. They should also look at the prospect of making APGA a force to be reckon with in the south east so that the 2 leading parties may need their (APGA) support & cooperation during general elections thereby allowing APGA to negotiate a better deal for the south easterners
The SE will never vote for APC definitely not under intimidation

15 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by capitalzero: 5:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
CowHard:

You forgot South west already enjoyed an interrupted 8 years at the presidency?

I know. Nothing last forever. Reason why people are clamouring for equity is that table will always turn. Also if there is good governance you would not care if leaders come from particular section of countey. Tinubu is a strong factor now and he would likely be president in 2023. What will happen after his exit,nobody knows.

5 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by SaiNigeria: 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2019
Nice article!!

2 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by SaiNigeria: 5:43pm On Jun 12, 2019
PaChukwudi44:
You're myopic in reasoning!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Beremx(f): 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2019
The last thing the average Igbo man would bother about is who is the Senate President or Speaker of HOR. Who the two positions done help abeg? Of what importance is it to an igbo man?

Nonsense and National Assembly.

cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by CowHard: 6:10pm On Jun 12, 2019
Beremx:
The last thing the average Igbo man would bother about is who is the Senate President or Speaker of HOR. Who the two positions done help abeg? Of what importance is it to an igbo man?

cheesy

Yet you wail of being schemed out of the NASS leadership composition??

Funny people!!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Beremx(f): 6:21pm On Jun 12, 2019
CowHard:

Yet you wail of being schemed out of the NASS leadership composition??

Funny people!!!
Me wail ke? Like that's my problem. Wetin consign me with National Assembly. cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by kingzizzy: 6:49pm On Jun 12, 2019
CowHard:

The inauguration of the ninth assembly which took place on the 11th of June has come and gone but the events and proceedings are still worthy of discussion.
Senator Ahmed Lawan clinched the Senate presidency with Senator Ovie Omo-Agege clinching the deputy slot.

At the green chambers, Hon Femi Gbajabiamila clinched the speakership position while Hon Idris Ahmed Wase got the deputy speaker slot.
However, the aftermath of the NASS elections meant Igbos and South Eastern geopolitical zone got practically nothing.

The proceedings also highlighted the unpreparedness of Ndigbo in the polity and politics of Nigeria. The shameful outing brought to the fore, the lackadaisical and politics of vengeance inherent in this part of the country.

While the eventual winners of the NASS elections were vigorously campaigning and canvassing for votes, our lawmakers went holidaying, expecting to be handpicked and decorated with the winners medal.

The two high ranking senator-elects in the person of the immediate past governor of Imo state, Rochas Okorocha and his Imo counterpart, senator Uwajumogu who were in a better position to clinch the elective slots were tactically chased away from the national assembly complex with the court while Ndigbo watched and cheered.

Before the composition of the NASS leadership, South East had three elected senators on the platform of the ruling party APC which are Rochas Okorocha, Orji Kalu and Senator Uwajumogu of Imo north senatorial district.
But in a dramatic fashion, two out of the three elected senators had their certificates withdrawn, leaving the region with just a single member in a chamber of 109 senators.

I'm not a fan of Rochas Okorocha and his #iberiberism governance in Imo state but the role he was to play at the red chambers supersedes whatever ills that characterized the politics of Imo state.

Politics calls for a serious permutations and calculations. Gone are the days of ethnic jingoism and victim mentality.
Femi Gbajabiamila toured virtually all the states of federation canvassing for support but ours was to cheer as the only options with a brighter chance got schemed out by the very hegemonic cabals.

We readily cry of being marginalized but in the truest of the whole issue, we are the architect of our misfortune.
The South east has never hidden their hatred for the APC led federal government hence the indifference in the imbroglios that schemed out her bright prospects from the NASS leadership composition.

To compound the whole scenario, the region presented, or rather nominated senator Ike Ekweremadu for senate deputy slot. This is a senator that has held the deputy president position for a record 12 years. The same senator left a bitter taste in the mouth of the ruling party when he clinched his position through the back door at the composition of the 8th Senate.

He was rousingly defeated by his competitor thus seeing to a decline in his political influence.

At the moment, Igbos are left with no strong political force and a strong contender for the 2023 election even if it's zoned to the region.
To Ndigbo, the composition of the NASS leadership is a mere jamboree but to others, it's a warm up to the next general elections.

The dearth of politics of alignment has made the region to be more or less onlookers in the leadership composition of the federation.
At a point, we claim not be interested in the politics of the country but before one says jack, we are back crying of being marginalized.

The South west aligned, lobbied and were rewarded with ministerial portfolios despite enjoying the vice presidency slot.
Raji Fashola is the minister for works, housing and power. Three powerful portfolios!!
Where went my brothers when the food was being served?

Under the PDP, we cried, wept and wailed of marginalization. Is there anything wrong if we give the current ruling party a try? I thought they said there's no harm in trial?
Igbos, while we fight ourselves to destruction, strangers are busy scooping and taking up the slots meant for us.

Odoh Ugochukwu writes from Enugu Ezike

Nigeria has become world porverty capital, there is widespread unemployment, insecurity and death everywhere

But the only thing some people like above care about is what political position went to who? Useless political positions that has never helped the common man out there and only benefits a few greedy politicians

Political relevance in a hellhole called Nigeria is not as important to the Igbo man some would want

16 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by mrvitalis(m): 7:00pm On Jun 12, 2019
See if APC think they can make igbos vote for them by trying to starve them of position and marginalise them then they have failed

People like me that supported APC in 2015 and 2019 have withdrawn their support completely

Igbo man can never i repeat never bow to intimidation ...the more u intimate him the more the resist

We vote in one direction ...thats what put us here ...trust me that same voting in one direction would bring Us out back to national politics

Lets see if north would reject the opportunity to retain power by teaming up with igbos in 2023

I laugh when people talk politic is a marathon 8 years is just a lap ...relax and learn from igbos

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by tunjiajayi: 7:00pm On Jun 12, 2019
Beremx:

Then tell your people to stop wailing in vain.
But wait I heard the slot for clerk as been zoned automatically to the east angry

Abi Una no want sef angry

2 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Shuku0kukobambi: 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2019
Beremx:
Me wail ke? Like that's my problem. Wetin consign me with National Assembly. cheesy

True you're not wailing but your compatriots online and on the streets have been wailing uncontrollably. The annoying part is that their sole ambition has always been to see how they can sabotage Yoruba, Tinubu and even northerners without thinking of how they'll get there.

It's politicians that benefit from political office but the way they've remained fixated on an election that GEJ and the SS have moved on from makes you wonder what special thing GEJ did in that region.

How many Igbo benefited from Ekweremmadu's 12 years as DSP?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by TSRC: 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2019
So why are yoruba still existing after 16 years of calamitous opposition?

This is just eight years of opposition and you think igbos should start crying.

A temporary situation for that matter

Its clear that some people can't handle relevance. They are better as opposition.

Goading the igbos, and when they respond, you would claim they hate you for no reason.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Earthquake2: 7:06pm On Jun 12, 2019
[s]
Shuku0kukobambi:

True you're not wailing but your compatriots online and on the streets have been wailing uncontrollably. The annoying part is that their sole ambition has always been to see how they can sabotage Yoruba, Tinubu and even northerners without thinking of how they'll get there.

It's politicians that benefit from political office but the way they've remained fixated on an election that GEJ and the SS have moved on from makes you wonder what special thing GEJ did in that region.

[/s]

Nobody is wailing Oga, the Igbo man is busy making money

After all your positions in the Nans na una go line up and beg for food

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Beremx(f): 7:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

Oh well, I don't care. The only thing that will make me give a fucvk about National Assembly is if I have a close relative as a member. Sadly, I don't have. So I care less who wails or who hails. cheesy

1 Like

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Earthquake2: 7:08pm On Jun 12, 2019
Queensexxy hw far wink
Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Earthquake2: 7:09pm On Jun 12, 2019
Beremx:
Oh well, I don't care. The only thing that will make me give a fucvk about National Assembly is if I have a close relative as a member. Sadly, I don't have. So I care less who wails or who hails. cheesy

They expect the Igbo man to be crying about Nans position as if those there have had any impact on the Igbo society grin

3 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Shuku0kukobambi: 7:09pm On Jun 12, 2019
mrvitalis:
See if APC think they can make igbos vote for them by trying to starve them of position and marginalise them then they have failed

People like me that supported APC in 2015 and 2019 have withdrawn their support completely

Igbo man can never i repeat never bow to intimidation ...the more u intimate him the more the resist

We vote in one direction ...thats what put us here ...trust me that same voting in one direction would bring Us out back to national politics

Lets see if north would reject the opportunity to retain power by teaming up with igbos in 2023

I laugh when people talk politic is a marathon 8 years is just a lap ...relax and learn from igbos

My man, you truly supported APC and buhari and it's unfortunate how it all panned out but that's politics.

Personally, I'm even tired of the attention sef. Let the Igbo play their game and get a VP to hausa in 2023, it's not a problem. In 1960, Igbo was governor general and Senate president. Northerner was prime Minister, Yoruba didn't stop eating Amala.

In 1979, Igbo was VP and speaker. Calabar was Senate president, Yoruba didn't stop eating gbegiri.

By all means arrange VP for yourselves in 2023, I won't complain. There are about 300 tribes in Nigeria. All of them deserve a chance

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Goke7: 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2019
PaChukwudi44:

folks like you are the problem of your region!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Shuku0kukobambi: 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2019
Earthquake2:

They expect the Igbo man to be crying about Nans position as if those there have had any impact on the Igbo society grin

When you consider the thousands of threads opened by Igbo posters before and after the NASS election, I just realized you're lying to yourself.

Ekweremmadu will still continue his chopping. Tinubu will continue his. El Rufai will continue his. You too, continue your own

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by mrvitalis(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

My man, you truly supported APC and buhari and it's unfortunate how it all panned out but that's politics.

Personally, I'm even tired of the attention sef. Let the Igbo play their game and get a VP to hausa in 2023, it's not a problem. In 1960, Igbo was governor general and Senate president. Northerner was prime Minister, Yoruba didn't stop eating Amala.

In 1979, Igbo was VP and speaker. Calabar was Senate president, Yoruba didn't stop eating gbegiri.

By all means arrange VP for yourselves in 2023, I won't complain. There are about 300 tribes in Nigeria. All of them deserve a chance

Never for one day did PDP marginalize a people this openly

Power is not constant ...the number of vote that would come out from igbo land in 2023 would shock nigerians

3 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Beremx(f): 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2019
Earthquake2:

Honestly. how has Katsina people benefitted from the Presidency?

nonsense

6 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Earthquake2: 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2019
Beremx:
Honestly. how has Katsina people benefitted from the Presidency?

nonsense

... and Buhari angry
Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by TSRC: 7:13pm On Jun 12, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

One of the realest statements you have ever made.
The igbos have not benefited having their people im power.
We could have gottem a world class airport in enugu, eastem rail lines, good roads, if the igbos under the pdp had done their job.

It is our hope that this sabatical from the seat of power would ensure that igbos reevaluate politics fully and develop the region when they get the chance again.

You don't know what you have till it is gone, so that when it comes again, you would use it well.

3 Likes

Re: 9th Assembly And The Calamitous Fall Of Ndigbo.. by Shuku0kukobambi: 7:15pm On Jun 12, 2019
Beremx:

May you be blessed. That's my take on these matters now which is why I took a long sabbatical from NL. Let them keep chopping abeg cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

$9.6bn UK Judgment Would Be Set Aside – Lai Mohammed / Pastor Paul Eneche Replies APC On Arrest Threat / What Daura, Katsina Got Under President Buhari's Presidency.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.