Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl (3291 Views)

Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman / The Coronation Of Oba Abdulraheem Oladele Adeoti, Omu-aran New Monarch / Oba Charles Ibitoye Is Dead (Olomu Of Omu-Aran) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Unlimitk(m): 3:29am On Jun 15, 2019
Now I saw this pic on the internet
Its a town in kwara state
So I want to ask
Y is d previous king dressing like this

1 Like

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Unlimitk(m): 3:30am On Jun 15, 2019
Now this is a family house in omu aran also
Notice their logo?
Donmedra igbobyblood beninempire

1 Like

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Unlimitk(m): 3:32am On Jun 15, 2019
I want answers
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Funjosh(m): 3:53am On Jun 15, 2019
Relationship between the Benin and Yoruba have been existing from generations back, so dressing like Benin people shouldn't be strange to anyone.
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Unlimitk(m): 3:55am On Jun 15, 2019
Funjosh:
Relationship between the Benin and Yoruba have been existing from generations back, so dressing like Benin people shouldn't be strange to anyone.
Ok
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by amaben2020(m): 6:27am On Jun 15, 2019
Benin ruled all over Yoruba land

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by deeoh(m): 7:17am On Jun 15, 2019
Unlimitk:

Ok
Roman and Greek ancient are similar yet I never read any writer highlighting superiority; same goes with Spartan and Babylonian. Is not new that Benin and Odudua share a strong link.
Yet what I'm seeing are people trying to paint some superiority. Our main problem exactly! Reason why our history is blurry and isn't thought in our basic school. Shame our mindset has brought us this far. indeed sons of Cush are cursed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by deeoh(m): 7:18am On Jun 15, 2019
amaben2020:
Benin ruled all over Yoruba land
Roman and Greek ancient are similar yet I never read any writer highlighting superiority; same goes with Spartan and Babylonian. Is not new that Benin and Odudua share a strong link.
Yet what I'm seeing are people trying to paint some superiority. Our main problem exactly! Reason why our history is blurry and isn't thought in our basic school. Shame our mindset has brought us this far. indeed sons of Cush are cursed

6 Likes

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by PrinceOgun: 12:33am On Jun 17, 2019
Benin created thrones in yorubaland , that one you posted is one of them , I never knew the Benin Empire reached kwara, I know the empire had dominion over ondo and ekiti but ........kwara wow

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Emilokoiyawon: 3:18am On Jun 17, 2019
PrinceOgun:
Benin created thrones in yorubaland , that one you posted is one of them , I never knew the Benin Empire reached kwara, I know the empire had dominion over ondo and ekiti but ........kwara wow

Fabulous story. Sauce nkor?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by lx3as(m): 7:01am On Jun 17, 2019
Igodomigodo people were just like their neighbours to the East; whatever culture and religion; dresses and traditional regalia you find them with today, were gotten from Eastern Yorubas. Ada/Ida, Akun Iyun(Beads), etc have been with the Central/Eastern Yorubas for generations, even before Ogisos who never used them until Oba period.

I know the OP has been opening divisive threads upon threads to denigrate the Yorubas and the next thing he does is to start calling his brothers from the East/Benin to come and masturbate...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by YourNemesis: 11:29am On Jun 17, 2019
The only thing I see, which Benin people also use regularly is the round bead.

What else?
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by PrinceOgun: 9:10pm On Jun 17, 2019
[s]
YourNemesis:
The only thing I see, which Benin people also use regularly is the round bead.

What else?
[/s]

The crown and the Sigil/Logo ?

Smh go and hide your face jaare

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by baby124: 10:32pm On Jun 18, 2019
Yoruba main export at that time were metal works and beads. It is even in history that Ife sent metal workers to Bini to teach them how to do metal work. So I wonder who influenced who?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by PrinceOgun: 10:52pm On Jun 18, 2019
baby124:
Yoruba main export at that time were metal works and beads. It is even in history that Ife sent metal workers to Bini to teach them how to do metal work. So I wonder who influenced who?

You are talking nonsense Yoruba influenced nothing in Benin it is Benin who did the influencing that was so strong that it exists till today that your kings are even still using the Benin sigil as the logo of their thrones, there was not even anything called Yoruba 70yrs ago talkless of the over 500yrs Benin has existed .....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by baby124: 10:55pm On Jun 18, 2019
PrinceOgun:

You are talking nonsense Yoruba influenced nothing in Benin it is Benin who did the influencing that was so strong that it exists till today that your kings are even still using the Benin sigil as the logo of their thrones, there was not even anything called Yoruba 70yrs ago talkless of the over 500yrs Benin has existed .....
Yoruba is one of the oldest tribes in Africa. Edo people separated from Yoruba tribe 1000’s of years ago. Yoruba style of metal work and beading is unrivaled till today. Even the Edo could not work metal as intricately as the finest Yoruba metal workers in Ife. Go and ask your metal work cult in Benin where their ancestors are from. You are a small boy and you know nothing. Speak about ancient Yoruba with respect.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by PrinceOgun: 10:59pm On Jun 18, 2019
[s]
baby124:

Yoruba is one of the oldest tribes in Africa. Edo people separated from Yoruba tribe 1000’s of years ago. Yoruba style of metal work and beading is unrivaled till today. Even the Edo could not work metal as intricately as the finest Yoruba metal workers in Ife. Go and ask your metal work cult in Benin where their ancestors are from. You are a small boy and you know nothing. Speak about ancient Yoruba with respect.
[/s]

You are obviously a liltle kid the way you are foaming at the mouth it is obvious there is no sense found there, Yoruba that never existed 70yrs back lol, Benin ruled over the tribes that formed what is called Yoruba today it a bitter truth that will always pepper you people , union of misguided misfits that's Yoruba for you grin ... Benin na una master any day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by baby124: 11:07pm On Jun 18, 2019
PrinceOgun:
[s][/s]

You are obviously a liltle kid the way you are foaming at the mouth it is obvious there is no sense found there, Yoruba that never existed 70yrs back lol, Benin ruled over the tribes that formed what is called Yoruba today it a bitter truth that will always pepper you people , union of misguided misfits that's Yoruba for you grin ... Benin na una master any day
70yrs? Lol... anyway. It’s folly arguing with the dumb.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by PrinceOgun: 11:22pm On Jun 18, 2019
baby124:

70yrs? .. anyway. It’s folly arguing with the dumb.

Bleep off you Yoruba's nothing on Edo's! We ruled you all swallow the bitter truth

2 Likes

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by PrinceOgun: 11:22pm On Jun 18, 2019
baby124:

70yrs? .. anyway. It’s folly arguing with the dumb.

Bleep off you Yoruba's nothing on Edo's! We ruled you all swallow the bitter truth..
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by baby124: 11:30pm On Jun 18, 2019
Yoruba’s first to perfect bead making in Africa. See link below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/59462-early-glassmaking-west-africa.html
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by MetaPhysical: 1:25am On Jun 19, 2019
Funjosh:

Thats not Benin dressing. Thats NOK dressing.

OP wonders why that dressing is found in Omu Aran. The dressing traveled out from Ife. The ogiso chiefs sent from Ife to Benin took it with them as sacred head cover. Its called Akoro.

5 Likes

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Olu317(m): 6:48pm On Jun 27, 2019
PrinceOgun:

Are you for real Oviedo Well, the same way Yoruba brought the term, ‘ogbo àtọ' to your land which Igodomgodo changed to, ‘ugha tor, which is specifically to bow to a Yoruba Prince king in Biniland(land of anger). Interestingly, it is a Yoruba word for initiates and generally use by elders when nee be. cheesy

I wonder when this attitude of you people will accept the truth because the same Bini kingdom and people that have been copying and learning Yoruba ‘initiates' language since 11th century Yoruba landed in Edoland grin cheesy.....

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Olu317(m): 7:17pm On Jun 27, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Thats not Benin dressing. Thats NOK dressing.

OP wonders why that dressing is found in Omu Aran. The dressing traveled out from Ife. The ogiso chiefs sent from Ife to Benin took it with them as sacred head cover. Its called Akoro.

Boss,I am very uncomfortable when you see Yoruba's greatness as being credited to Nok people that didn't match Yoruba's Art at the period Yoruba arrived this part of the world because you and I won't appreciate our ancestors if we all don't realise that these ancient ancestors of ours were the unique people that brought the knowledge of Almighty God in the context of the way the world know him today on Earth. This may seem unbelievable but it is true. (another day's issue )

Anyway, let me digress from your view because Nok may have their reasons for colour red usage but in Yoruba land, colours is as significant as the fluid of life. The reason being that when color are used against color, it creates a mathematical equation from Yoruba perspective. Thus, graphic design uses symmetry, rhythm, emotion, and balance, thus, creating communication. The Yoruba word for this is iwontunwonsi (moderation). For instance, the red signifies raw power, and heat while the white is, coolness and wisdom, which is Sango colour ,thus, it is balanced.This is called moderated – iwontunwonsi – through color.

This concept is expressed In the following Yoruba saying derived from an Odu: Efun ewa osun l'aburo Beautiful lime chalk (white) is camwood's (red) senior (Mason). Obviously, Yoruba didn't pick anything of such from Nok but recognition given to BLOOD.........

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by baby124: 1:21am On Jun 28, 2019
Olu317:

Boss,I am very uncomfortable when you see Yoruba's greatness as being credited to Nok people that didn't match Yoruba's Art at the period Yoruba arrived this part of the world because you and I won't appreciate our ancestors if we all don't realise that these ancient ancestors of ours were the unique people that brought the knowledge of Almighty God in the context of the way the world know him today on Earth. This may seem unbelievable but it is true. (another day's issue )

Anyway, let me digress from your view because Nok may have their reasons for colour red usage but in Yoruba land, colours is as significant as the fluid of life. The reason being that when color are used against color, it creates a mathematical equation from Yoruba perspective. Thus, graphic design uses symmetry, rhythm, emotion, and balance, thus, creating communication. The Yoruba word for this is iwontunwonsi (moderation). For instance, the red signifies raw power, and heat while the white is, coolness and wisdom, which is Sango colour ,thus, it is balanced.This is called moderated – iwontunwonsi – through color.

This concept is expressed In the following Yoruba saying derived from an Odu: Efun ewa osun l'aburo Beautiful lime chalk (white) is camwood's (red) senior (Mason). Obviously, Yoruba didn't pick anything of such from Nok but recognition given to BLOOD.........

Cheers
Red was the most common color for Africans. Africans have painted with red ochre for a long long time. Red from Ochre and Black from coal are the most common colors. Though Yoruba use camwood.
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 28, 2019
Some will use this avenue to insult Benin greatness rather than learn from it.

That logo is Benin symbol of authority. Most kings in delta, bayelsa, ondo,etc have it. Your throne can't be legitimate without you coming to Benin to get it.

That's why Edo isiagbon.

@op those monikers you quoted are banned embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by gregyboy(m): 3:54pm On Jun 28, 2019
Southernminorit:
Some will use this avenue to insult Benin greatness rather than learn from it.

That logo is Benin symbol of authority. Most kings in delta, bayelsa, ondo,etc have it. Your throne can't be legitimate without you coming to Benin to get it.

That's why Edo isiagbon.

@op those monikers you quoted are banned embarassed

yorubas brethren will never learn they find it hard accepting the truth from the benin because they are minorities but if its coming from the majourity fulanis they will divide and embrace it....the core truth is the way this story they deniel is true thesame way they denial oduduwa story coming from Benin
The meaning on those logo his a typical benin proverb that only the old people can interprete

Alagbontewe(they dont pass life to something smth....)

2 Likes

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by gregyboy(m): 4:01pm On Jun 28, 2019
baby124:

[url][/url]

Wise man ...edo sepreted from yoruba where even onni lied that igbos were in the royal house of ife now its benin mockery
Thats is the original beeds of the Yoruba's

1 Like

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Olu317(m): 7:13pm On Jun 28, 2019
baby124:

Red was the most common color for Africans. Africans have painted with red ochre for a long long time. Red from Ochre and Black from coal are the most common colors. Though Yoruba use camwood.

I have norhing against Africans choices of colours but pointing at the direction of Yoruba's strucural arrangement of understanding colours and their consequential power .The colour ‘black', in Yoruba is Du du" which is the last group of colour grading. There are also colour that is dark with a resemblance of the earth. Brown, and leafy dark greens and moss greens are also considered "du du." The psychological type is a down-to-earth, practical, earthly sort of personality. These colours are symbols of the secret world and occultism,if one consider the yoruba world view.
Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by gregyboy(m): 2:14am On Jun 29, 2019
baby124:

Dont generalized have you been to the rest african state ...talk about your own tribe first of all. As for the Benin's red was a colour around them thier sand are very red thier house were red thier food was red from palm oil ,the coral beads were red too the colour didnt just pop out of thin air it was a nature gift to thier soil

1 Like

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 29, 2019
gregyboy:

Dont generalized have you been to the rest african state ...talk about your own tribe first of all. As for the Benin's red was a colour around them thier sand are very red thier house were red thier food was red from palm oil ,the coral beads were red too the colour didnt just pop out of thin air it was a nature gift to thier soil
red and white is our colour.

How many kings also use ade vbe eben?

1 Like

Re: Omu Aran Previous King Dressing Like Benin Ppl by MetaPhysical: 2:59pm On Jun 29, 2019
Olu317:

Cheers

Dear Prince,
I apologize for late entry on my response.

I do not in any way diminish Yoruba ancestors at all. My submission in that post was very brief and to the point as pertains to this headgear and color itself.

Red is universal color, in fact all colors are universal. In Yoruba alchemy colors are used to treat ailments by restoring balance to temper and mood. Colors are also used to communicate with divinities.

Certain traditions and cultures of old were known significantly by colors and till today that knowledge pesrsists.

Yoruba is a foreign conqueror and civilization. Its abode is Ife, but it met people in Ife. The name Ile-Ife, the term Oba, the conical Crown, the deities, Yoruba language, and many more customs were implants in the land now known as Ife.

Something caused Yoruba to depart Afro-Asia but something even very significant caused Yoruba to aim for settlement in the land it renamed Ife. It was not an accident. Amongst those with whom Yoruba settled were Bariba and Yauri. The two left and Yoruba remained in the land.

The preoccupiers of that land were the Noks. They were significant for some things, primary among which is color red. They were already a civilized people. Their civilization was super imposed by the much more civilized and nobler Yoruba.

In the same way red features as a color of significance for Nok, blue and white featured significantly for Yoruba.

After their settlement Yoruba instituted the nok culture into its expansion strategy. Red became insignia of Ife authority and dynasty. When uncivilized wild roaming natives needed to be organized, a chief of Ife is sent to order the society and rule it. This is how Ogisos appointed from Ife ended up establishing the red culture in Edo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Nigeria Have Honour Killings? / Anaocha LGA Confers Chieftaincy Title On Doctor Okeke / ICYMI: Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.