Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,163 members, 7,807,537 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings (5876 Views)

Military Arrests Boko Haram Chief-Cameraman Alongside Other 2 Suspects(pics / First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? / Useless Journalism In Nigeria (Name and Shame) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Beaf: 9:10pm On Oct 03, 2010
[size=14pt]Police in Nigeria name 2 suspects in the dual car bombings that struck during celebrations[/size]
By Bashir Adigun (CP) – 13 minutes ago

ABUJA, Nigeria — Nigeria's federal police force named two men Sunday night as the "masterminds" behind the bombings that struck the West African nation's capital during its independence celebrations.

Meanwhile, a lawyer in South Africa confirmed that an ex-leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, the group that claimed responsibility for the Friday attack, faces a terrorism charge over his alleged involvement in the plot.

[size=14pt]Federal police spokesman Emmanuel Ojukwu in a statement named the two men as Ben Jessy and Chima Orlu[/size]. He offered no further details about the two Nigerian men, other than warning the public that harbouring them would be a criminal offence.

"It is clear that the intention of the perpetrators of the evil act was to truncate Nigeria's celebration of half a century of her political freedom," the statement read. "Their motive was to cut short the joy of men and women of goodwill and to pour shame and contempt on our president and indeed the entire nation."

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, also known by the acronym MEND, issued a warning to journalists about an hour before the attacks Friday, telling people to stay away from festivities at Eagle Square in Abuja. It blamed Nigeria's government for doing nothing to end the unceasing poverty in the delta as the nation receives billions of dollars from oil revenue.

One car bomb exploded, drawing police, firefighters and the curious to the street near a federal courthouse. Five minutes later, a second car bomb exploded, apparently intended to target those drawn to the scene.

A third, smaller explosion struck inside Eagle Square during the ceremony, apparently injuring one security officer. However, MEND has denied placing any explosives inside the venue.

MEND has destroyed oil pipelines, kidnapped petroleum company workers and fought government troops since 2006. The attack Friday marked the first time it targeted Nigeria's capital — and came within a 10-minute walk of where President Goodluck Jonathan and others attended celebrations marking Nigeria's 50th anniversary of independence from Britain.

The police statement said another arrest had already been made by authorities over the bombing. On Sunday, a lawyer for ex-MEND leader Henry Okah confirmed his client had been arrested in Johannesburg.

Ulrich Roux, an attorney with the South African firm representing Okah, said Okah was arrested Saturday. Roux said Okah "claims that he knows nothing of any of these bombings."

Roux said Okah was arrested and jailed under South African counterterrorism legislation, but has not been charged. Okah is expected be brought to court for a preliminary hearing Monday.

Meanwhile, Nigeria's president has blamed a "small terrorist group that resides outside Nigeria" for the bombings. Jonathan's assertions, coming in a statement from his office Sunday night, go against MEND's claim of responsibility.

The statement quoted Jonathan as saying "investigations show that members of MEND have said they know nothing about" claiming responsibility for the attacks. However, it offered no other details.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5in4-Q2hMEQLzZAWCbJC0Rr4FXY3Q?docId=4723934
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by monkeyleg: 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2010
sorry oh, but these sound like made up names.

By the way I getting very confused about this whole thing. Did GJ not say at sometime that Mend were responsible, now it is a group based abroad, not quite sure what we should believe. But make we dey look
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 03, 2010
monkeyleg:

By the way I getting very confused about this whole thing. Did GJ not say at sometime that Mend were responsible, now it is a group based abroad, not quite sure what we should believe. But make we dey look

so much for cool calm and collected. our commander in chief is running from pillar to post in mad circles

disgraceful sad sad sad
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Beaf: 9:21pm On Oct 03, 2010
monkeyleg:

Yes o! They are made up.
Dunce. cry cry cry
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Mobinga: 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2010
Chima Orlu and Ben jessy I am not surprised after all Michael Jackson and Eminem voted in the last elections
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Ehoi: 9:32pm On Oct 03, 2010
I didn't know people are so smart, they can even tell if a person exist or not just by hearing their names. grin
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by monkeyleg: 9:33pm On Oct 03, 2010
@Beaf,

I did not insult you when i made my comment. I think you are begining to show the kind of low life you are. That you cannot respond to someones post without passing some sort of stupid childish, backstreet alley comments, but I am not suprised. You represent the typical thrash that constantly comes from the GJ camp. Well done
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by chyz(m): 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2010
The bombing just happened 2 days ago. He said he already knew who they were the next day. Hows that possible? And now they happen to give non-ijaw(MEND)  and non-northern(boko haram) but and Igbo and fake english name.Wow! GEJ better have the media tailored because it is going to be the cause of him losing SE votes and also othe southern votes as well.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by labiyemmy(m): 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2010
Some people should be ruling America - just by seeing names - they can predict if the person exist or not - wow.

I have always said a Nigeria will rule the world/.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by labiyemmy(m): 9:41pm On Oct 03, 2010
there are actually more empty headed nin compoops online than i always assumed.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by tpiah: 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2010
I have always said a Nigeria will rule the world/.

if they let him near obama, he will.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2010
Mobinga:

Chima Orlu and Ben jessy I am not surprised after all Michael Jackson and Eminem voted in the last elections
hahahaha lolrmof
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Mobinga: 9:45pm On Oct 03, 2010
toba:

hahahaha lolrmof
cool cool
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by netotse(m): 9:47pm On Oct 03, 2010
ehen o. . .

people have been complaining that GEJ didn't name ppl when he said it wasn't MEND but now that the govt has released names, people are turning around to complain. . .
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by chyz(m): 9:50pm On Oct 03, 2010
netotse:

ehen o. . .

people have been complaining that GEJ didn't name ppl when he said it wasn't MEND but now that the govt has released names, people are turning around to complain. . .

The thing is how do you get the names that quick? It just happened 2 days ago. Its been years and nigeria still doesn't have the real name of Jomo Gbomo!LOL shocked
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by onemopol: 9:52pm On Oct 03, 2010
chyz:

The bombing just happened 2 days ago. He said he already knew who they were the next day. Hows that possible? And now they happen to give non-ijaw(MEND) and non-northern(boko haram) but and Igbo and fake english name.Wow! GEJ better have the media tailored because it is going to be the cause of him losing SE votes and also othe southern votes as well.

Are you not being ST. U.PID for making a statement like this? You guys can go to hell with your useless SE votes which is fast turning a blackmail tool.

Your warrior Ikemba already promised the evil genius igbo votes anyway.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by onemopol: 9:52pm On Oct 03, 2010
People should allow the security agents do their job.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by chyz(m): 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2010
one mopol:

Are you not being ST. U.PID for making a statement like this? You guys can go to hell with your useless SE votes which is fast turning a blackmail tool.

Your warrior Ikemba already promised the evil genius igbo votes anyway.

Like i care what you type woman. grin
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by DisGuy: 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2010
if they are from 'abroad' surely the government will show us their picture so we know not to approach them at least they will be on a national database somewhere- electoral list, student i.d card, previous criminal record, airport tickets??
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by chyz(m): 9:56pm On Oct 03, 2010
Dis Guy:

if they are from 'abroad' surely the government will show us their picture so we know not to approach them at least they will be on a national database somewhere- electoral list, student i.d card, previous criminal record, airport tickets??

GBAM!
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by monkeyleg: 9:58pm On Oct 03, 2010
But hang on, these were the same police that were given 5days notice before the bombing, now it has taken them just 2days to realise first it was mend, now its some phantom foreign based group, and yes guess what we even have names, which may be real ,but sounds made up to me. And to top it up we have a junkyard dog barking at anyone who raises an eyebrow. Phew what a country.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by tpiah: 10:01pm On Oct 03, 2010
it is MEND

it is foreign based

potato, potahtoe
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Nobody: 10:02pm On Oct 03, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=523255.msg6853322#msg6853322

South African Police Raid Home Of Exiled MEND Leader, Henry Okah
Posted: September 30, 2010 - 21:19

By SaharaReporters, New york

The South African police invaded the Johannesburg home of Henry Okah, the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) early today, apparently acting on the request of the Nigerian authorities who claimed that Mr. Okah was stockpiling weapons and re-arming fighters in the volatile Niger Delta region of Nigeria.

About 40 plainclothes police burst into the hilltop home of Mr. Okah at  3:00 AM in the morning. They destroyed the heavy gates leading to the main house and used heavy equipments to destroy the main door leading to his living quarters and guest house.

Henry Okah

The policemen, initially thought to be assassins, did not locate Mr. Okah for about 1 hour after arriving at his home where they were met by his wife and children. When he did appear they announced they would be searching every nook and cranny of his house to locate bombs and high caliber guns the Nigerian government told them were stockpiled there.

The policemen spent 10 hours searching his home but failed to find any weapons. Instead, they carried away laptops and phones belonging to his wife, daughter and himself.

Mr. Okah remains free but is uncertain if police will return for him.

In 2008, Mr. Okah, who had been living in South Africa, was arrested in Angola by the Angolan authorities acting at the request of the Nigerian government. He was deported to Nigeria where he was held in solitary confinement and secretly tried before a federal high court in Jos, charged with 62 counts of terrorism, illegal possession of weapons and treason amongst other capital crimes. But in 2009, the government entered into an amnesty deal with his group and several other Niger Delta militant groups and released him. Okah returned to live in South Africa except for a brief trip to Nigeria to attend a meeting with the late Nigerian leader, Umaru Yar'adua over the Amnesty process. The Amnesty program has failed to make much progress and peace in the Niger Delta region remains fragile.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/south-african-police-raid-home-exiled-mend-leader-henry-okah

relevant quotes from the topic:

Beaf:

Any report by Sahara Reporters must be taken as a lie.
However, MEND has been rearming at a fearful rate. We need to pray.

Ibime:

@ Beaf, how do you know MEND is rearming at alarming rate?

Henry Okah is one dude I respect. He should knock heads with some enlightened chaps to ensure that the second coming of MEND does not descend into fractious internal feudalism. Infact, I don't think we have brave men of right morals to execute a true freedom fight as Henry Okah would want it.

Beaf:

They themselves have announced that they are rearming. You'll need an account to view the full article here;
http://www.africaintelligence.com/AEM/government-strategies/2010/09/29/weapons-build-up-in-delta%2C85584032-BRE-login

beafs quote when it first happened

Beaf:

It was a sad loss of life.
It seems doubtless that the attack was carried out by the real MEND, because they have replied to emailed questions.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-10-01/nigerian-rebels-claim-abuja-blast-that-killed-eight.html

And for those who argue ortherwise, MEND is NOT classified as a terrorist group anywhere in the West. For example, they are simply classified as a group of interest by the US state dept.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 03, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5626101-146/mend_apologises_for_abuja_deaths_.csp

MEND apologises for causing Abuja deaths

By Ayo Okulaja

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) has apologised for causing the death of many people in the explosions which rocked the Federal capital yesterday.

In an email sent to journalists a moment ago, Jomo Gbomo, the spokesperson of the group, said the group "deeply regrets the avoidable loss of lives during our bomb attack in Abuja on Friday October 1, 2010. Our hearts go to the families of those killed who we know were sympathetic to our cause". and those who aren't can go to hell

The group said the failure of security forces to heed a warning it had given five days before the attack is responsible for the deaths

"The irresponsible attitude of the government security forces is to blame for the loss of lives. They were given 5 days prior notice which led to the harassment of Henry Okah on Thursday, September 30 in South Africa."

It also claimed that an hour before the attack, security forces were reminded of the impending violence but failed to act. It said the email received by journalists a few minutes before the explosions was sent only after the one to security agents.

"The security forces were also warned one full hour to the first bomb blast ahead of the general alert sent to the media and told to steer the public from all parked cars which was not done."

The group's claim of responsibility for the attacks is coming hours after President Goodluck Jonathan said they were not responsible and blamed the explosions on terrorists.

Mr. Jonathan told an ECOWAS gathering in Abuja today that ``What happened yesterday was a terrorist act and MEND was just used as a straw; MEND is not a terrorist group".

"The Niger Delta people are aware of the government's noble efforts to assuage the suffering and deprivation in that region," the President said.

"I am from the Niger Delta, my father's house is few metres from an oil-well, so nobody can claim to be a Niger Deltan than myself.

"It is erroneous to think that my people who have been agitating for good living will deliberately blow up the opportunity they have now".

In a related development, Henry Okah, an alleged leader of the militant group, was arrested by South African police today and is being questioned.

On Thursday, Interpol forces raided Mr Okah's home in South Africa but no action was taken against him. It is not clear yet if he will be charged following his latest arrest.

However, the group has exonerated him of involvement in Friday's bombings that killed at least 12 people and injured tens of others. "Okah has never been involved in any MEND operations but has always been blamed for every attack which is strange to us," the group said.

i believe it should be clear to all.

mend issued a warning to the fg, the fg retailiated by sending the sa police after okah.

daft move there - why would okah keep weapons in his house?

the real disgrace is the attitude of gej and his security apparatus

they had advance warning, and still chose to carry on with celebrations

this is probably why the bombs exploded some distance away from them

so, our president went on with the celebrations, safe and sound in his bullet proof vest under his clothes, covered by a swath of security , and indifferent to the lives of lesser nigerians who he KNEW were at risk
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by mamagee3(f): 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2010
Mobinga:

*Death*

Next, it'll be Belly dancer Chukwuma and Cosmos Chuka. grin grin grin
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by 9ijaMan: 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2010
Amazingly they have come up with some names without arresting those who bear the names. How can you give names of the culprits when you don't have them yet?
Oooopppssss, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ! I forgot we have data base of 9jans and as someone stated earlier, they must have picked the names off the millions of air tickets that entered 9ja within the last week.

Are we also relegating the $100million story? I guess we should get a the name of the bank(s) through which the money was wired. Abi na Ghana must go bags dem use transfer such an amount?  grin
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by rocoboy: 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2010
since when did nigeria became so big a country to even attract terrorist Its all lies our politicians are the ones behind it remember 2011 elections is here already and this is just the beginning of their atrocities to get political positions.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 03, 2010
Federal police spokesman Emmanuel Ojukwu in a statement named the two men as Ben Jessy and Chima Orlu. He offered no further details about the two Nigerian men, other than warning the public that harbouring them would be a criminal offence.

now let me get this straight

our government was able to issue the names, but could not include pictures, details , known associates, last residence, and all the ything that will enable Nigerians to catch these people?

what of the 'families' of these 'suspects'? are they cooperating in the 'investigation'?

are these people on national tv yet? who were their last employers

nigeria police . i bow grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by MaziUche0(m): 10:10pm On Oct 03, 2010
Why is an Igbo man a suspect?

All jokes aside, but this is not our conflict. . .

Don't pin the blame on an Igbo man! That is a warning.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by tpiah: 10:14pm On Oct 03, 2010
possibly the casualties would have been greater if they hadnt moved swiftly in south africa.
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2010
beaf is amazing. i swear. the same fellow who was scared because 'mend is rearming' is suddenly issuing bizarre chase your tail far out there conspiracy theories cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Police In Nigeria Name 2 Suspects In The Dual Car Bombings by superboi(m): 10:18pm On Oct 03, 2010
oyb the purpose of terrorism is to cause disruption to order in the society, if the event was stopped and the bomb did not go off all you guys go they call Goodluck fear fear, just like if george bush had grounded all fligth on 11/09/2001 based on intell report all american would have labelled him over reactive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu Accuses PDP And AGF As Plotters Of His Trial / Senate Starts Debate On Same-sex Marriage Prohibition Bill / Should Nigerian Governors' Forum Be Banned Or Disbanded?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.