Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump (407 Views)

UK Cuts Tariffs On Products From Nigeria, Others / NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! / Cheapest Tariffs Plans And Data Subscription Of GLO, Airtel,etisalat And Mtn Net (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump by GodSaklek(m): 12:03pm On Jun 16, 2019
MUMBAI, India — India announced late Saturday that it would raise tariffs on 28 categories of imports from the United States, the latest escalation in what has been a slow-motion trade fight between the two countries.

The increased tariffs, on $1.4 billion of goods, went into effect Sunday morning in India and cover almonds, walnuts, apples and finished metal items, among other products.

Unlike other trade battles that President Trump has waged, such as the increasingly bitter feud with China, the conflict with India threatens far high economic pain to either country.

Tariffs on almonds, for example, will go up about 120 percent under the new rules — but that translates into a wholesale price increase of about 4.5 cents a pound for almonds in the shell, according to industry officials. India is one of the largest markets in the world for almonds from California, which produces most of the global supply, but growers are more focused on wooing Indian shoppers from locally grown nuts like cashews than on the trade duties.

India first proposed the tariffs a year ago in response to the Trump administration’s increased tariffs on imported aluminum and steel.

But the Indian government kept postponing the duties as it tried to negotiate a broader trade agreement with Washington. Those talks broke down as India headed to elections this year.

At the end of May, President Trump announced he was revoking a preferential trade status for more than $5 billion in imports from India, a move that American officials had been considering for over a year. That prompted India to finally move forward with its long-threatened tariffs.

The tit-for-tat response allows both countries to signal that they are being tough on trade before two bilateral meetings this month: first a visit by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to New Delhi, and then a planned meeting between Mr. Trump and India’s recently re-elected prime minister, Narendra Modi, at the G-20 summit meeting in Japan at the end of June.

Those conversations are also expected to address more substantive disputes between the countries, such as the American embargo on Iranian oil and India’s planned purchase of Russian-made S-400 air defense systems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/06/15/business/india-tariffs-trade-trump.amp.html

Cc: Cc:
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun
naijacutee
dominique
FOD
puskin

Re: India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump by Financesiq(f): 12:07pm On Jun 16, 2019
I’m with India
Re: India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump by kheny12(m): 12:33pm On Jun 16, 2019
Namaste india.USA think they can mess with all countries.
Re: India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump by Ugosample(m): 2:10pm On Jun 16, 2019
which kind problem be this one bikonu?
Re: India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump by tyup(m): 2:11pm On Jun 16, 2019
Lol animals with horn are invited for a round meeting discussion even snails like India want to show face undecided

The next level of poverty bashing wanting to strike India is still pressing up
Re: India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump by BigCowHornn: 1:53pm On Jul 25, 2023
GodSaklek:

My mother was 19 years old when you had sex wth her?,Lol ashi'ere paedophile molester,count ursef lucky,u ar stil complaining abt the way i type?,inferiority complex.
I can type d way i want,the fact that u can undastand wat i writes,english is nothng to me,atleast english people cant write or speak my language,its only in nigeria u wil see a slave like u wanted to kil themsef cuz of ordinary english,travel outside of that ur shithole to hav more xposure,SA dnt giv a fuk abt english,a country where all their languages are official,i value my culture & language over foreign

Messed up soul

Re: India Raises Tariffs, Escalating Trade Fight With Trump by BigCowHornn: 6:43am On Jul 27, 2023
GodSaklek:
MUMBAI, India — India announced late Saturday that it would raise tariffs on 28 categories of imports from the United States, the latest escalation in what has been a slow-motion trade fight between the two countries.

The increased tariffs, on $1.4 billion of goods, went into effect Sunday morning in India and cover almonds, walnuts, apples and finished metal items, among other products.

Unlike other trade battles that President Trump has waged, such as the increasingly bitter feud with China, the conflict with India threatens far high economic pain to either country.

Tariffs on almonds, for example, will go up about 120 percent under the new rules — but that translates into a wholesale price increase of about 4.5 cents a pound for almonds in the shell, according to industry officials. India is one of the largest markets in the world for almonds from California, which produces most of the global supply, but growers are more focused on wooing Indian shoppers from locally grown nuts like cashews than on the trade duties.

India first proposed the tariffs a year ago in response to the Trump administration’s increased tariffs on imported aluminum and steel.

But the Indian government kept postponing the duties as it tried to negotiate a broader trade agreement with Washington. Those talks broke down as India headed to elections this year.

At the end of May, President Trump announced he was revoking a preferential trade status for more than $5 billion in imports from India, a move that American officials had been considering for over a year. That prompted India to finally move forward with its long-threatened tariffs.

The tit-for-tat response allows both countries to signal that they are being tough on trade before two bilateral meetings this month: first a visit by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to New Delhi, and then a planned meeting between Mr. Trump and India’s recently re-elected prime minister, Narendra Modi, at the G-20 summit meeting in Japan at the end of June.

Those conversations are also expected to address more substantive disputes between the countries, such as the American embargo on Iranian oil and India’s planned purchase of Russian-made S-400 air defense systems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/06/15/business/india-tariffs-trade-trump.amp.html

Cc: Cc:
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun
naijacutee
dominique
FOD
puskin

This serial FRAUDSTER get out of business section and stay out. No matter how many new accounts you create or old ones you bring back i will still get you.

I won't rest till i collect my money

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Up A Successful Video Gaming Business In Nigeria (A Detailed Guide) / 2000 Deep Litres Capacity Pen For Lease In Ibadan / What's Your Take On This Conversation Between A Client And Vendor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.