Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,231 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" (21022 Views)

Osita Chidoka Suspended For Dropping 2 Corpses At Igwe's Palace. Graphic / Osita Chidoka: Atiku's Likely Running Mate. / Atiku, Osita Chidoka, Oyedepo, Kukah, Sheik Gumi Inside Atiku's Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by Elslim: 1:59pm On Jun 17, 2019
Let the oil dry so that we can receive sense
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2019
Is not a must for this kind organization to use NEPA electricity, Some industries also generate electricity using different kinds of energy.................

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by Jonegonu: 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2019
Please Nigeria don't listen to that man called osita chidoka, if you can afford to get one solar panel in a self contain it will go along way in giving you 247 power supply in your home and stay away from phcn esteemeted bills. Long live Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by drkay(m): 2:08pm On Jun 17, 2019
tactius:
Ok...I know I'm going to be called names for this, but here goes.

Several years ago, we privatised power...and since then power has been in private hands.

And one of the biggest problems has been financing. Yes, financing of power.

A lot of Nigerians don't pay for power. Add the fact that the bills we are paying are set below the actual cost of power. This has driven away investors, and we fail to attract new ones.

As a result, DISCOS and GENCOS don't have enough money. Last year, one of the DISCOS gave up and handed back over to the government because it was not making enough money to do business properly.

And the fact is, millions of Nigerians feel ENTITLED to free power. You know, if you guys were running businesses, and people came in and took your products for free...you would be wiped out financially.

If we want power to work...government has to allow the DISCOS charge for power. YES...power will cost a lot. YES...we would be paying N30000 and above per month. And the DISCOS should meter everyone(which is what is happening with MAP by the way).

But the thing is POWER IS PRIVATE....and POWER is now a business.(and ironically Chidioka's government was the one responsible for privatising power). And the reason why we are only seeing 5-6 hours of light per day...is because THAT IS WHAT OUR BILLS CAN PAY FOR.

Let's be realistic.
You’ve said the truth. I pay equivalent of about 50 to 80k in naira for DEWA( Dubai electricity and water) on monthly basis in my studio apartment here in Dubai. The question is: Are we ready to pay more for power in Nigeria if it’s made available to us 24/7? I doubt Nigerians are ready to tolerate any increment

3 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 400billionman: 2:09pm On Jun 17, 2019
Buying fuel no be here o.

If your NEPA bill is N1,000 and you complain and happen to not have light for one month, then you will discover a fuel bill of Times 10.

N10,000 a month.

Businesses who run generators 12 hours daily are trying.
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 9jaRealist: 2:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
danjumakolo:
It still plagues my mind why fed gvt doesn't wanna invest in coal for power generation.

Dangote Cement uses coal to power some of its plants...
However, coal is mostly ‘dirty’ power and to make it safe is often not cost-efficient.
>
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by JubrinElSudan: 2:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
tactius:

Several years ago, we privatised power...and since then power has been in private hands.

A lot of Nigerians don't pay for power. Add the fact that the bills we are paying are set below the actual cost of power. This has driven away investors, and we fail to attract new ones.

As a result, DISCOS and GENCOS don't have enough money. Last year, one of the DISCOS gave up and handed back over to the government because it was not making enough money to do business properly.

And the fact is, millions of Nigerians feel ENTITLED to free power. You know, if you guys were running businesses, and people came in and took your products for free...you would be wiped out financially.

If we want power to work...government has to allow the DISCOS charge for power. YES...power will cost a lot. YES...we would be paying N30000 and above per month. And the DISCOS should meter everyone(which is what is happening with MAP by the way).

But the thing is POWER IS PRIVATE....and POWER is now a business.(and ironically Chidioka's government was the one responsible for privatising power). And the reason why we are only seeing 5-6 hours of light per day...is because THAT IS WHAT OUR BILLS CAN PAY FOR.

Let's be realistic.
which of the discos do/did you work with? BEDC?
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 9jaRealist: 2:19pm On Jun 17, 2019
Jonegonu:
Please Nigeria don't listen to that man called osita chidoka, if you can afford to get one solar panel in a self contain it will go along way in giving you 247 power supply in your home and stay away from phcn esteemeted bills. Long live Nigeria

I don’t think Mr. Chidoka was actually “lamenting” this development....
That adjective seems to be a mischaracterization of his tweet by the OP.
>

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 9jaRealist: 2:21pm On Jun 17, 2019
tactius:

Let's be realistic.

Why do you think you would be called “names” for telling the TRUTH?
>
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by duality(m): 2:22pm On Jun 17, 2019
tactius:

Let's be realistic.

If Nigerians can pay for Telcom services, they can pay for electricity.

Let it be reliable, let there be proper metering.

Until then, they are not serious.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by wellmax(m): 2:24pm On Jun 17, 2019
BlackfireX:
Shithole country

You missed the point.

Everybody is now going renewable energy

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by Youngstar76(m): 2:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
tactius:

Let's be realistic.

Guy stop this bullshiting. No don't ever in your life compare compare Nigeria to America again. No one would complain of the price of electricity in Nigeria if it was stable. Even if u pay the 30k for a month, there will still be power interruptions within the month. The power sector needs a new reform and not increase in price.

When u pay for ELECTRICITY in USA, u get exactly what u paid for. But in Nigeria it's the opposite. I stay in Chicago with my parents for about 4 months every year since 2011 before coming to Nigeria n I know what I'm saying. I only come back here cos I school here at RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY on scholarship. I'll be done next year. Can't wait to finish n leave this shit hole permanently.

2 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by safetyInspector(m): 2:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
The truth is that people are not complying because of the estimated nature of billing. The first a reasonable DISCO management would have done is to make pre-paid meters available for all her customers and increase the electricity tariff. Each consumer will determine he/her level of consumption.
tactius:

Let's be realistic.

2 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by Edyice: 2:26pm On Jun 17, 2019
Fashola and co has failed woefully.

Solar power is the only way out

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 9jaRealist: 2:29pm On Jun 17, 2019
duality:

If Nigerians can pay for Telcom services, they can pay for electricity.

Let it be reliable, let there be proper metering.

Until then, they are not serious.

Let there be cost-reflective tariffs for whatever is presently being supplied...
The present tariff regime ensures that DISCOs will never have the balance sheet to invest in capacity upgrades (they are NOT bankable).

The irony is that (whether they know it or not) Nigerians are already paying the real cost of electricity...
Either directly by paying for generators and fuel to power same or indirectly through the opportunity cost of not having power.
>

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by bilulu(m): 2:31pm On Jun 17, 2019
tactius:

Let's be realistic.
Bros people don't pay because they don't see the light to use. If you are sure you supplied light to your customer at the end of the month you should be able to collect your money. Supply prepaid metres and watch people buying light. I know of one of the biggest international NGO in Nigeria, they don't joke with their NEPA bill. They have their post paid metre which is being read at the end of the month and the cost always run into millions, and they always make their payment every month. The day they delayed in paying they were disconnected. So DISCOs should up their game Abeg. Most time they don't even buy light sef

2 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by safetyInspector(m): 2:33pm On Jun 17, 2019
The question is that do they give you an estimated bill in Dubai? You are only paying for what you consume. Can you stay in that your studio apartment in current UAE weather without running your AC 24/7? You bill for summer will likely not be the same as Winter. DISCO's should provide pre-paid meter let Nigerians pay for what they consume. Lack of pre-paid meter is what is killing electricity business in Nigeria.
drkay:

You’ve said the truth. I pay equivalent of about 50 to 80k in naira for DEWA( Dubai electricity and water) on monthly basis in my studio apartment here in Dubai. The question is: Are we ready to pay more for power in Nigeria if it’s made available to us 24/7? I doubt Nigerians are ready to tolerate any increment

4 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by duality(m): 2:35pm On Jun 17, 2019
9jaRealist:

Let there be cost-reflective tariffs for whatever is presently be supplied...
The present tariff regime ensures that DISCOs will never have the balance sheet to invest in capacity upgrades (they are NOT bankable).

The irony is that (whether they know it or not) Nigerians are already paying the real cost of electricity...
Either directly by paying for generators and fuel to power same or indirectly through the opportunity cost of not having power.
>

Right now Nigerians are paying too much, will /should not pay more until the reliability issues are resolved.

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 17, 2019
JubrinElSudan:
which of the discos do/did you work with? BEDC?

Not only have I not worked for any disco, but I have even once had issues with them about a meter (long time ago).
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 9jaRealist: 2:43pm On Jun 17, 2019
Youngstar76:

Guy stop this bullshiting. No don't ever in your life compare compare Nigeria to America again. No one would complain of the price of electricity in Nigeria if it was stable. Even if u pay the 30k for a month, there will still be power interruptions within the month. The power sector needs a new reform and not increase in price.

When u pay for ELECTRICITY in USA, u get exactly what u paid for. But in Nigeria it's the opposite. I stay in Chicago with my parents for about 4 months every year since 2011 before coming to Nigeria n I know what I'm saying. I only come back here cos I school here at RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY on scholarship. I'll be done next year. Can't wait to finish n leave this shit hole permanently.

Where exactly did he “compare Nigeria to America”?! shocked

Meanwhile, whether you live in Kaura Namoda or somehow found your way to Mars, the Laws of Economics will NOT change to accommodate Nigeria. Accordingly, if you produce electricity at an average cost of about N60/kWh and is restricted to charging an average of only N38/kWh (assuming that you can collect 100% payments - which virtually impossible even in the best of circumstances), you will never have the balance sheet to attract capital (either equity or debt) to finance capital investments that will modernize and expand your distribution capacity. This is the REALITY, whether your product is electricity or Akara or Amala or Aso Ebi! However, it is even worse with electricity because once produced it cannot be bottled and stored in a warehouse (for sale when market conditions improve) but has to be consumed immediately!
>

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by partnerbizz5(f): 2:49pm On Jun 17, 2019
Jonegonu:

1 panel?
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by Orpe7(m): 2:49pm On Jun 17, 2019
Total fuel station close to sheraton hotel ikeja has been doing this for years
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by CodeTemplar: 2:49pm On Jun 17, 2019
AutoJoshNIG:
We Should Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil — Sen Ike Ekweremadu

Read about it HERE
The bold caught my attention. Later some will say Hausa and Yorubas are the greedy folks obsessed with oil. This one is even suggesting anti open market strategies as a way of selling 'our' oyel.
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 9jaRealist: 2:54pm On Jun 17, 2019
duality:

Right now Nigerians are paying too much, will /should not pay more until the reliability issues are resolved.

Depends on what you define as “too much”?
If (for example) you are paying about as much for a generator, then you are paying half of the REAL cost of electricity.

Nonetheless, as I mentioned elsewhere on this thread, capping tariffs at an average of N38/kWh for electricity generated at an average of about N60/kWh ensures that DISCOs (even if they achieve the impossibility of collecting 100% payments and no Nigerian steals electricity) will never have the balance sheet to attract the necessary capital (and there is a lot of capital across the globe looking for good long-term investments) to massively modernize and expand their facilities and improve upon (if not entirely eliminate) “reliability issues”!
>
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by deomelo: 2:55pm On Jun 17, 2019
yahaya1:
WHAT IS HIS POINT ACTUALLY? THAT IS WRONG FOR THEM TO USE SOLAR TO POWER THEIR ⛽.

I scratched my head looking for answer too. Is solar power and solution not commendable or exactly what we should be encouraging?

Opposition in Nigeria is really rettarded, they just oppose and spew rubbish for the most idiotic reason..

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by CodeTemplar: 2:56pm On Jun 17, 2019
9jaRealist:

Let there be cost-reflective tariffs for whatever is presently be supplied...

>
Remember in early 2016 when Fashola was removing the flat service charge of 750? He promised us improved power supply in exchange for an increase in the per kwhr rate of electric power supply. Have we really seen any improvement so far for the increase in power supply rate of 2016? I can't say I have any real improvement.

The first and most logical step is to get ride of estimated billing. I imagine a situation where MTN is having monopoly and they bill people in group according to which mast covers their area. One man who hardly calls will never be happy to share an estimated bill with another who calls always.

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by 9jaRealist: 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2019
bilulu:

Bros people don't pay because they don't see the light to use. If you are sure you supplied light to your customer at the end of the month you should be able to collect your money. Supply prepaid metres and watch people buying light. I know of one of the biggest international NGO in Nigeria, they don't joke with their NEPA bill. They have their post paid metre which is being read at the end of the month and the cost always run into millions, and they always make their payment every month. The day they delayed in paying they were disconnected. So DISCOs should up their game Abeg. Most time they don't even buy light sef

Can you say the same for the Nigerian military, police or MDAs?
>
Re: Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now" by JubrinElSudan: 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2019
tactius:

Not only have I not worked for any disco, but I have even once had issues with them about a meter (long time ago).
That's good. Your comment is a well balanced one. Kudos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu Presented A Dollarised Budget, FG Benefitting From $/N Hike - Ndume / Photo Of President Jonathan Being Accredited In Otuoke, Bayelsa / Umaru Musa Yar'Adua 7th Year Remembrance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.