Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,412 members, 7,800,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

[question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? (528 Views)

Stop Being Scammed Online - How To Protect Yourself When Buying Online / Buying Online From Germany? But They Don't Ship Outside Germany? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by oelesin: 4:27am On Jun 18, 2019
For a while now, I have been asking retailers, especially those driving their businesses through Instagram, if potential buyers after seeing prices on the posts still try to negotiate. The answers I got were all in the same direction - yes, they negotiate all the time.

The funniest was:
They negotiate all the time and when you ask them to pay, they run away.

That said, I would like you to share your thoughts on why we as Nigerians like to negotiate even when buying online. If you can, please shed more light on why you won't pay even if you negotiated a great deal.

Let the comments pour in

Lekan
Gramsquare.com - Nigeria's top Online Fashion Marketplace
Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by budaatum: 5:06am On Jun 18, 2019
In Nigeria there's shops everywhere. Every 20, 10 steps if you live in Lagos, there's a shop. What am I talking about! We have hawkers, people on the street yelling "come and buy what I'm selling!" In some places they'll stick it in your face and say "buy!" Like say na dem put the money in your pocket, or they'll drag you off the street and not let you leave their shops until you buy something. So you either learn to say you're not interested if you're not, or you say "How much?" And trust me, those traders don't shirk at 100% mark ups or more if you seem gullible enough so you slash the price they say in half, then you chop off another half if you're really brutal or less if you're not, it's not as if you willingly went in the shop when they dragged you off the street. And it's your money. Of course you're gonna negotiate. Or you'd never get through the market with your wallet intact! We do same on the web I guess. Never know when you might come across a bargain. We are traders afterall. At least those who go to market are. And some just do it cos they enjoy the banter.

You got to learn to weed out the timewasters is all. Stick non-negoprice on it and don't entertain and you might be bothered less.

1 Like

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by oelesin: 7:58am On Jun 22, 2019
budaatum:
In Nigeria there's shops everywhere. Every 20, 10 steps if you live in Lagos, there's a shop. What am I talking about! We have hawkers, people on the street yelling "come and buy what I'm selling!" In some places they'll stick it in your face and say "buy!" Like say na dem put the money in your pocket, or they'll drag you off the street and not let you leave their shops until you buy something. So you either learn to say you're not interested if you're not, or you say "How much?" And trust me, those traders don't shirk at 100% mark ups or more if you seem gullible enough so you slash the price they say in half, then you chop off another half if you're really brutal or less if you're not, it's not as if you willingly went in the shop when they dragged you off the street. And it's your money. Of course you're gonna negotiate. Or you'd never get through the market with your wallet intact! We do same on the web I guess. Never know when you might come across a bargain. We are traders afterall. At least those who go to market are. And some just do it cos they enjoy the banter.

You got to learn to weed out the timewasters is all. Stick non-negoprice on it and don't entertain and you might be bothered less.

This is a good point, but do buyers also try the same shopping online?

To your last point, wouldn't a non-negoprice drive away potential customers?
Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by oelesin: 8:00am On Jun 22, 2019
Still expecting more responses on this, Nairalanders
Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by TellMeTheTruth(m): 8:42am On Jun 22, 2019
oelesin:

Still expecting more responses on this, Nairalanders

Most Nigerian are accustomed to haggling before making payment...it's a default setting grin

1 Like

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by budaatum: 1:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
oelesin:

This is a good point, but do buyers also try the same shopping online?

To your last point, wouldn't a non-negoprice drive away potential customers?
Buyers would try same online. But it does not seem to chase potential customers on non-negoprice Amazon and many other e-sites. Should make one wonder what they do right.
Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by Ugosample(m): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2019
oelesin:
For a while now, I have been asking retailers, especially those driving their businesses through Instagram, if potential buyers after seeing prices on the posts still try to negotiate. The answers I got were all in the same direction - yes, they negotiate all the time.

The funniest was:
They negotiate all the time and when you ask them to pay, they run away.

That said, I would like you to share your thoughts on why we as Nigerians like to negotiate even when buying online. If you can, please shed more light on why you won't pay even if you negotiated a great deal.

Let the comments pour in

Lekan
Gramsquare.com - Nigeria's top Online Fashion Marketplace

it's the psychological nature of the Nigerian customer
no more, no less

Nigerians are VERY price sensitive people
Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by Ugosample(m): 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2019
TellMeTheTruth:

Most Nigerian are accustomed to haggling before making payment...it's a default setting grin
Exactly
Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by Ugosample(m): 1:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
budaatum:

Buyers would try same online. But it does not seem to chase potential customers on non-negoprice Amazon and many other e-sites. Should make one wonder what they do right.

they are operation in a different clime, amongst people with a different mentality

that is what they seem to have gotten right

1 Like

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by budaatum: 2:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
Ugosample:

they are operation in a different clime, amongst people with a different mentality

that is what they seem to have gotten right
The issue in Nigeria is competition and reminds me of the non-nego tomato seller at Ketu.

There used to be no Ketu Market in the early 80s when one woman set up a stall of one big tray of non-nego tomatoes and peppers. Her tomatoes were always the best quality and sold far too expensive for the likes of me who, considering the number of mouths I had to feed, sacrificed quality for quantity and went to aboki in Mile 12, but she piqued my interest. Right by her stall which she opens at 4 would customers queue to buy very good quality non-nego tomatoes and peppers, till one day, undercut woman set up her own stall of one big tray of very good quality tomatoes and peppers right next to non-nego woman and priced her tomatoes and peppers slightly less than non-nego woman priced her's.

Not long after, considering the huge profit to be made as Ketu developed and grew, quality, price, location, customer care, big mouth, smile, flirt, rude, obnoxious all set up their own stalls of tomatoes and peppers and so developed Ketu Market where tomatoes and pepper sellers compete. Today, Ketu Market is a thriving nego-market for all sorts of people competing to sell all sorts of foods. And the customers have found a place to bargain because there's always someone prepared to undercut.

Those "different clime" people with a "different mentality" were not born with "get it right" genes as history shows their markets developed out of tomato selling in Ketu Market. The customers have learned and adapted to an environment of non-nego by price-checking all the negos and non-negos and buying from the one that best fulfils their needs. The smart trader is the one who knows to not only compete on price and so gets it right by adding value to every sale.

1 Like

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by Ugosample(m): 2:56pm On Jun 23, 2019
budaatum:

The issue in Nigeria is competition and reminds me of the non-nego tomato seller at Ketu.

There used to be no Ketu Market in the early 80s when one woman set up a stall of one big tray of non-nego tomatoes and peppers. Her tomatoes were always the best quality and sold far too expensive for the likes of me who, considering the number of mouths I had to feed, sacrificed quality for quantity and went to aboki in Mile 12, but she piqued my interest. Right by her stall which she opens at 4 would customers queue to buy very good quality non-nego tomatoes and peppers, till one day, undercut woman set up her own stall of one big tray of very good quality tomatoes and peppers right next to nen-nego woman and priced her tomatoes and peppers slightly less than non-nego woman priced her's.

Not long after, considering the huge profit to be made as Ketu developed and grew, quality, price, location, customer care, big mouth, smile, flirt, rude, obnoxious all set up their own stalls of tomatoes and peppers and so developed Ketu Market where tomatoes and pepper sellers compete. Today, Ketu Market is a thriving nego-market for all sorts of people competing to sell all sorts of foods. And the customers have found a place to bargain because there's always someone prepared to undercut.

Those "different clime" people with a "different mentality" were not born with "get it right" genes as history shows their markets developed out of tomato selling in Ketu Market. The customers have learned and adapted to an environment of non-nego by price-checking all the negos and non-negos, buying from the one that best fulfils their needs. The smart trader is the one who knows to not only compete on price and so gets it right by adding value to every sale.

interesting analysis you got there.

1 Like

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by budaatum: 3:08pm On Jun 23, 2019
Ugosample:

it's the psychological nature of the Nigerian customer
no more, no less

Nigerians are VERY price sensitive people
"Nigerians are VERY price sensitive people" because we like to eat our cake and have it. We have unrealistic dreams and expectations but have little resources (money, ability, power, knowledge, etc), with which to fulfil them but want to have them fulfilled anyway.

I can only suppose 'praying' must work or we would have adopted more realistic expectations by now.

1 Like

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by Ugosample(m): 3:20pm On Jun 23, 2019
budaatum:

"Nigerians are VERY price sensitive people" because we like to eat our cake and have it. We have unrealistic dreams and expectations but have little resources (money, ability, power, knowledge, etc), with which to fulfil them but want to have them fulfilled anyway.

I can only suppose 'praying' must work or we would have adopted more realistic expectations by now.

you have given a very valid reason....

I think the ride of social media in Nigeria also coincided with the explosion of unrealistic expectations in Nigeria

Now the youths all look up to that standard in the media as the standard to guage their lives

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by budaatum: 3:44pm On Jun 23, 2019
Ugosample:

you have given a very valid reason....

I think the ride of social media in Nigeria also coincided with the explosion of unrealistic expectations in Nigeria

Now the youths all look up to that standard in the media as the standard to guage their lives
People always had unrealistic expectations. People in the 70s were the computer age kids and the world would end by the millennium. Their children in the 80s were the consuming kids, "the world is ending so why bother?" The 90s was the 80s on steroids then came the millennium but with no end so the social media age kids arose and spoke and we are in the twenty tens. My hope is looking back we find it is the coding decade when we began to know how to organise with it. They can be named the organised kids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by oelesin: 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2019
budaatum:

There used to be no Ketu Market in the early 80s when one woman set up a stall of one big tray of non-nego tomatoes and peppers. Her tomatoes were always the best quality and sold far too expensive for the likes of me who, considering the number of mouths I had to feed, sacrificed quality for quantity and went to aboki in Mile 12, but she piqued my interest. Right by her stall which she opens at 4 would customers queue to buy very good quality non-nego tomatoes and peppers, till one day, undercut woman set up her own stall of one big tray of very good quality tomatoes and peppers right next to nen-nego woman and priced her tomatoes and peppers slightly less than non-nego woman priced her's.

Those "different clime" people with a "different mentality" were not born with "get it right" genes as history shows their markets developed out of tomato selling in Ketu Market. The customers have learned and adapted to an environment of non-nego by price-checking all the negos and non-negos, buying from the one that best fulfils their needs. The smart trader is the one who knows to not only compete on price and so gets it right by adding value to every sale.

This is really an interesting and in-depth breakdown. Thanks a lot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by oelesin: 6:35pm On Jun 25, 2019
Any more suggestions on this?
Re: [question]: Why Do Nigerians Like To Negotiate Even When Buying Online? by MrAlert(m): 7:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
As in eh.... Me sef taya!

(1) (Reply)

How To Tell If The Stainless Steel Pipe You Have Is Real [original] / Buy Your Original Honey At A Good Price / Buy Now: Very Neat Grade1 USA Used Hp Probook Intel Core2 Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.