Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Dokpesi Is Released - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dokpesi Is Released (4260 Views)

Good morning / Dokpesi Is Not Guilty : S.S.S / Now That Dokpesi Is Dir-gen Of Ibb Campaign, Will Ait Be Neutral? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dokpesi Is Released by jookco(m): 1:06am On Oct 05, 2010
Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Nigeria’s state security police freed Raymond Dokpesi, head of former military ruler Ibrahim Babangida’s presidential campaign, after questioning him in connection with the Oct. 1 car bombings in the capital, Abuja.

Dokpesi was released “late last night,” Kazeem Afegbua, a spokesman for Babangida, said today by phone from Abuja. “He’s been asked to come back today.”

Dokpesi, founder of Nigeria’s Africa Independent TV and Ray Power FM radio, was held in connection with the blasts that killed 12 people near the venue of the country’s 50th independence anniversary parade, AIT said yesterday, citing Kanti Bello, a senator and another Babangida supporter. He was implicated by two text messages found on the telephone handsets of one of the suspects already in custody, Lagos-based Guardian reported today, citing unidentified officials.

Afegbua said Dokpesi’s questioning won’t affect Babangida’s plan to challenge President Goodluck Jonathan to secure the ruling Peoples’ Democratic Party nomination for the presidential election due early next year. “We’re more resolute now, more than ever before,” he said.

Jonathan has promised to crack down on those responsible for the explosions, which he blamed on “a small terrorist group that resides outside” the West African country, and their domestic sponsors.

Nine Arrests

Nine suspects have been arrested over the bomb attacks, Marilyn Ogar, a spokeswoman for the state security service, told reporters at a briefing in Abuja yesterday.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, or MEND, which is seeking more resources for the country’s oil- producing region, said it carried out the attacks. Henry Okah, a South Africa-based leader of MEND, was charged with terrorism in a Johannesburg court yesterday in connection with the Abuja attacks. Okah denies he committed any “unlawful acts in South Africa or outside the country,” his lawyer, Piet du Plessis, said yesterday.

Attacks by MEND and other armed groups cut more than 28 percent of the country’s oil output between 2006 and 2009, according to Bloomberg data. While the attacks decreased after thousands of fighters accepted a government amnesty last year, MEND refused to disarm, saying its demands were not fully met.

Nigeria is Africa’s largest oil producer and the fifth- biggest source of U.S. oil imports. Its low-sulfur sweet crude is favored by many U.S. refiners.

MEND wants states in oil-rich regions to keep all revenue earned from crude sales and pay only taxes to the federal government. The government in Abuja currently takes 87 percent of the revenue and producing states receive 13 percent.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-10-05/nigerian-media-chief-dokpesi-freed-after-questioning.html
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Gayigaskia(m): 1:16am On Oct 05, 2010
So now what folks, do you think he will be released if he is really involved in the attacks?
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by nduchucks: 2:28am On Oct 05, 2010
I'm dumbfounded!! shocked
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by grafikdon: 2:37am On Oct 05, 2010
I sincerely hope this is not a witch hunt established by Jonathan to stifle the opposition/rivals. First they "nabbed" two suspects "Chuks Nzuzuma" and "Ben Johnson", now they "nabbed" another "mastermind" Dokpesi. Very dubious moves if you ask me.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Nobody: 3:36am On Oct 05, 2010
Who da hell is dopkesi?
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by egift(m): 5:33am On Oct 05, 2010
If am Dokpesi, I will sue them with two options
N10 Billion or An apology published on (20 Electronic, Print and Web media each)
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Dsense(m): 6:35am On Oct 05, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Who da hell is dopkesi?
But how come u don't know dat da Hell is Dopkesi nd Dopkesi is da Hell grin grin grin
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 05, 2010
why dem release am.

the text message was not a real evidence, i can send a message with your number online, have the forgotten this

have they contact the network provider to know if the message was send from is mobile no.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 05, 2010
I SWEAR I NO GO LIE

THIS IS THE REAL 24HOURS (season film) HAVE YOU WATCH IT

who IS JACK?
who is THE PRESIDENT
who is THE CTU.

PLEASE WE NEED THIS ON DVD/CD

NAIJA 24HOURS SEASON FILM.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by 9icest: 7:49am On Oct 05, 2010
Its just a routine shake-up thing done to opponents.
They pick you up, usually done by the SSS or EFCC or ICPC or those 3 to 5 alphabets government gestapos.
And they lock you up, show you some smartly fabricated charges, and threaten you about how bleeped you really are.
I am sure they just shook up Dokpesi, let him feel hes been monitored, and they are going to mess his life up if he doesnt play wise.
Its just a mind game to intimidate him. And the results is never positive.
Now GEJ has created mixed feelings, confusion, and sympathy for an undeserving scum. He has my sympathy and not my vote come 2011
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by naso2(m): 8:46am On Oct 05, 2010
egift:

If am Dokpesi, I will sue them with two options
N10 Billion or An apology published on (20 Electronic, Print and Web media each)

Rubbish. So inviting him for questioning in very serious national security matter like this means his rights have been infringed upon? Abeg go siddon for gutter.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by otokx(m): 8:55am On Oct 05, 2010
GEJ should change his National Security Adviser at once, he should also relieve the SSS boss of his duties, you do not go arresting people until you have concrete and strong evidences. This guy is simply playing into the hands of IBB who will now be getting sympathy votes in otherwise weak areas. I am so ashamed of what is happening.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by naso2(m): 9:01am On Oct 05, 2010
otokx:

GEJ should change his National Security Adviser at once, he should also relieve the SSS boss of his duties, you do not go arresting people until you have concrete and strong evidences. This guy is simply playing into the hands of IBB who will now be getting sympathy votes in otherwise weak areas. I am so ashamed of what is happening.

Dokpesi was not arrested. He was invited for questioning. The SS invited him, he went, was questioned and now asked to go. I just hope he will not be foolish to start talking nonsense now. Anybody and I mean anybody can be invited for questioning on this matter.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by otokx(m): 9:20am On Oct 05, 2010
He should not have been invited for questioning, this issue is a very sensitive one, they could have just gone to his house or office ask him any question they want and go their way quietly.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 05, 2010
otokx:

He should not have been invited for questioning, this issue is a very sensitive one, they could have just gone to his house or office ask him any question they want and go their way quietly.
Why wuld dy just go to his house, interview him and go their way?
We are talking abt national security issue here.Even politician are invited by efcc to thier office for questioning let alone a sensitive issue like this.
And is he too big to be called for interview?
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by naso2(m): 9:39am On Oct 05, 2010
otokx:

why? becuase he is above the law? or because he is IBB's campaign chief?

Got to his house ko? go to his church ni.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by dustydee: 9:43am On Oct 05, 2010
invited for questioning for how many hours?since yesterday?
na_so:

Dokpesi was not arrested. He was invited for questioning. The SS invited him, he went, was questioned and now asked to go. I just hope he will not be foolish to start talking nonsense now. Anybody and I mean anybody can be invited for questioning on this matter.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by oyinda3(f): 9:48am On Oct 05, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Who da hell is dopkesi?

lol. akata girl  tongue
raymond dokpesi is a business mogul who owns AIT/ Raypower.

Sunny Ade's tribute to him. popular song in naija:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgdb6rOtrzE

he's ibb's campaign chairman now
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by naso2(m): 9:52am On Oct 05, 2010
dustydee:

invited for questioning for how many hours?since yesterday?

10am to 11pm. now prove that he was actually arrested.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 05, 2010
praise God
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by tkb417(m): 10:25am On Oct 05, 2010
i hope he was beaten very well b4 the release
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by otokx(m): 10:36am On Oct 05, 2010
Why will they beat him?
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by tkb417(m): 10:58am On Oct 05, 2010
^^^ a fool should be beaten in the morning, afternoon and night

he symbolises evil.

beating an evil man once in a while is not outta place
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 05, 2010
Jonathan,a stupendous ignoramus
weak in every sense of the word
whoever told him he can achieve anything this way
what a garbage we have for a president
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Gbawe: 11:19am On Oct 05, 2010
na_so:

10am to 11pm. now prove that he was actually arrested.

Na_so , it appears he was arrested and this is why virtually all Nigerian news agencies have used the word "arrested". I believe some of our reputable news sources know the difference between "arrested" and "questioned" . The confusion is because Dokpesi was invited for questioning and subsequently arrested upon showing up.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/

Dokpesi, who recently alleged that he received death threats because of his support for Babangida, was invited for questioning by SSS and arrested on his arrival in the morning.

THISDAY learnt that the arrest was in connection with an SMS found on the phone of one of the nine suspects in detention over the blasts.
The SMS was said to have established a link between the suspects and Dokpesi, prompting the SSS to invite him to its headquarters in Abuja.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by JUO(m): 12:10pm On Oct 05, 2010

BREAKING NEWS: Gen. Azazi (rtd) Appointed National Security Adviser http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-gen-azazi-rtd-appointed-national-security-adviser
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by seanet02: 12:18pm On Oct 05, 2010
ferari90:

Jonathan,a stupendous ignoramus
weak in every sense of the word
whoever told him he can achieve anything this way
what a garbage we have for a president
and IBB
stupid in every move
ugly in every appearances made
wicked in every act
unpleasant in all relationships
corrupt in every sense
unreliable in every PROMISE
it goes on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 05, 2010

it appears he was arrested and this is why virtually all Nigerian news agencies have used the word "arrested"

Nigerian newspapers are notorious for blowing things out of proportion.Dokpesi was never arrested,but invited in for questioning
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by reubeno(m): 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2010
There is nothing wrong if someone is invited for questioning in the wake of an invent of this magnitude that seems to threatens Nigeria especially as the nations head for the 2011 polls.

It's a slap on our national security for an invent of this size CCTV can not be provided to cover the venue and environs, Instead MILLIONS of tax payers money was used to purchased Brazilian rice under a phony programme 'Food for the poor'

Nigeria is gradually turning to Somalia, Sudan, Iraq etc, GEJ should wake up this is just the intro. MEND said there's going to be more bombing.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Gbawe: 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2010
MrPrsdent:

Nigerian newspapers are notorious for blowing things out of proportion.Dokpesi was never arrested,but invited in for questioning

It seems he was arrested. On this occasion , most Nigerian newspapers are united in making it clear that Dokpesi was indeed invited for questioning and then subsequently arrested when he showed up to be questioned.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by Beaf: 1:19pm On Oct 05, 2010
We are missing the point that Dokpesi was ordered to report back today. Indeed, I believe he will be required to report back everyday, SSS is just being civilised; the case is under international focus. Dokpesi will eventually be remanded in custody and charged, once all loose ends have been tied.
Re: Dokpesi Is Released by naso2(m): 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2010
Gbawe:

It seems he was arrested. On this occasion , most Nigerian newspapers are united in making it clear that Dokpesi was indeed invited for questioning and then subsequently arrested when he showed up to be questioned.

Kai Gbawe. Oya since you don dey work for SSS. Explain the transition from invitation to arrest. sharp sharp

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘Ndigbo Will Not Support The North In 2011’ / Inec Recovers Stolen Machines / What Do You Think About State Police In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.