Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:12 PM

This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. (57078 Views)

MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application / How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by wandeykul(f): 7:54am On Jun 20, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
u know what happens to women who aren't okporoko and attempt to seduce... U did the maths right ���
No meaningful contribution to the topic..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by twinskenny(m): 7:54am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:
Thanks Brother.
jeep your heads up bro.. can you learn a trade?
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by paadee(m): 7:55am On Jun 20, 2019
Your will definitely laugh about this experience someday. Whatever your Hand findeth to do for now, please do it with all your might. Who says that bank cant beg u to open an account with them in the nearest future?

3 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Halezis(m): 7:55am On Jun 20, 2019
Samsimple:
A friend of mine reduced his age in his cv and went for job interview, he was told by the panel that he was too young for the job.

When its ur time its ur time no man can do anything.. Man up bro
What the fnck?grin

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by wandeykul(f): 7:55am On Jun 20, 2019
It is well
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by deavicky(m): 7:56am On Jun 20, 2019
Relax u will get a nice job.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by ikorodureporta: 7:56am On Jun 20, 2019
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by beninfo3: 7:57am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:
I write this with tears in my eyes but I won't cry because a man is not supposed to.

If really I was such a bad person , I hope to change and live a better life. But to deserve unemployment because of a past situation I found myself in which I couldn't help, I think it's too much for me to bear, but what do I know? maybe I deserve to be unemployed.

But if I tell you I'm not depressed, I'm lieing .

Last year I got a marketing Job with a bank few months after my NYSC when things were extremely hard . Even transport money to go for the training was hard. On the first day of training, on my way home, I lost my phone which was the only thing of value I had then. Safe to say I began the Job phoneless , cashless and frustrated .

Even money to buy bank wears and appear smart or serious was a case . No transport for work, no phone for my work and marketing, no clothes to wear, I'll leave out feeding coz I could control that with starvation or one square meal. My mom was only able to raise small cash for me which most times didn't last a week, transport to and fro was 400 naira, a plate of food was 300, before I get transport for marketing , airtime and transport to call and bringing customers to open accounts and running around on the job which was money intensive, anybody who worked a as marketer before can relate...all these with a huge target of 30 accounts to open and a target of 3 million to bring to the bank.. At least I'm expected to spend 1k a day on the Job which I have not been paid. Remember it was my first month and most banks don't pay in the first month, it's in the second month they combine your salary and pay. Pay was 35k. I was just frustrated.

All these struggles manifested in my performance coz I couldn't deliver and my first two months was a mess coz some days I just couldn't go to work. Sometimes I came to work late coz I had to look for transport money in the morning. Being able to come to work and survive was my main concern then, I fell sick many times out of starvation and it affected my Job. On one occasion or two the Branch manager assisted with stipends when I complained to her about my struggles. Most times the stipends only lasted a day or two but It was a life saver for me coz there was no other option, at least I was able to come to work and eat the next day. Fellow colleagues couldn't help, nobody could, I dropped shame one day in the board meeting and asked for help for we the new staff and how hard it is for us to keep up with the Job. I got nothing.

Not too long after, I resigned to pursue something else . I traveled.

Only for me to come back after 8 months for another bank Job interview and when my former Branch manager was called as a referral, the one I complained to about my struggles and reasons for my underperformance , the same one who assisted me sometimes and this was her reply "He's unserious, indiscipline and unfit for the Job. I was not supposed to hear that but the interviewer put it on loud by mistake and I heard that part before she quickly put the phone off. Immediately I knew I wasn't gonna get the Job.

It hurts me so much, dad is no more, mom a widow, siblings in school calling me day and night for money being the first son and bread winner. If I'm unserious and irresponsible, I can change & become better. No matter the circumstances I faced, I can't make excuses for that. But if I was such a terrible person to deserve unemployment . I let God be the Judge. The interview happened yesterday.

I'm back to the unemployment table guys. My advice to every young hustler out there is to do their best on any job they find themselves no matter the circumstances. But my prayer is for our pasts not to deny us our future bread. We go make am last last.

My advice in this, is that when on official duties make it official don't bring any atom of personal problems in an official environment. You would've tackled the personal challenges you encountered in the first job outside the office. Keep the office people in dark especially your superiors. I know it is always not easy but that's the discipline. I too witnessed even worse situations during my first job but with God and my own little effort I won. Cheers.

8 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Lizilicious(f): 7:57am On Jun 20, 2019
Before Satan,fear women...
You did nothing wrong my brother, she was in a position to help and became a bitch about it..

Sorry, ur own job go soon show

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by taurusmena1(m): 7:57am On Jun 20, 2019
Quite a touching story but I'll be a bit hard on you.
1)Communication is key. The way you pass a message across matters a lot and determines the response you get.

2) The way you dress is also key. You may have just one attire but you have to look neat else you will be passed as an unserious person

3)In the professional community, bosses do not want to hear complains rather they want results.lesson here is never carry your personal problems to your boss. Doesn't work out well most times

4) Work without faith is death. So it says in the Bible. We tend to commit everything to God in prayer and neglect working towards it. Do not resign your fate to God alone. He won't come and do for us what we can do for ourselves.

5)You have to be up and doing,look and act smart.

6)Until you get your desired job, make do with whatever legitimate job that puts food on your table no matter how degrading you feel it is.

All said, kindly respond with your current location and phone number

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Halezis(m): 7:58am On Jun 20, 2019
When it's yours, it will surely come. You did nothing wrong bro

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by safarigirl(f): 7:58am On Jun 20, 2019
My brother, men cry. Crying is human nature, only robots and dead people don't cry.

So, if you are at a point of frustration, cry. You can lock yourself in a room and cry out your frustrations, it is a key part in your healing process.

You cannot linger on the past, some things pass over you for a reason, even if you may not see these reasons initially. Take this, not just as a learning curve, but also as a challenge, to put your detractors to shame. Na privilege some people get, no be say den better pass you.

8 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Jermat20(m): 7:59am On Jun 20, 2019
Such a touching story and great lesson to learn. But bro I tell you, something good is on your way. Believe me

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by emkz: 8:00am On Jun 20, 2019
Your writing is so professional, almost impeccable. I don't know if your story is true (some people have accused Nairaland mods of promoting stories written by porfessionals). So we don't know what to believe or what to discard. Well done for the very efficient presentation.

That said, you might want to consider a career in print journalism. Perhaps online journalism. If you are very imaginative, write stories for newspapers/blogs on topical issues. Also write movie stories for Nollywood. I am sure some responsible Producers can pay you for that. With time, your light can shine or you'd be noticed to even write speeches for governors and ministers.

Thirdly, its not everyone you put in your reference. I had a manager who was bad-mouthing me to his colleagues and partners (we had a beef that has lasted 5 years). When I was searching for a job, I never listed him as a reference. It is better you include your friend who knows you as a reference than your manager who laughs with you but secretly doesn't like you. You mentioned you raised the poor conditions meted out to new contract staff at a meeting. Rule number one at a new job: keep your mouth shut and succeed in your job. When your work speaks, people would look for you.

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by trapQ: 8:00am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel very touching story. Don't give up. You'll be back better.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by dingbang(m): 8:02am On Jun 20, 2019
Vega100:
Why did you include the said lady as ur referee?
his mistake. He shouldnt have put her as referee.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by jojothaiv(m): 8:04am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:
Thanks Brother.
A little digression, can you speak Hausa?
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by jaxxy(m): 8:05am On Jun 20, 2019
U used ur previous place of work as part of ur job experience bt ur Performance there wasn’t good enough tho not totally ur fault bt due to circumstances beyond ur control at the time. It may have been better u didn’t put it bt then maybe the experience was what got u considered for the interview I’m not sure.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 20, 2019
KIDfurniture:
This life sha..sometimes I just wonder how I made it this far in this same life considering all the struggles. Was blessed with a good mother, while I did small small Yahoo then as early as 2002 to support my self and siblings plus mum. Yahoo then was purely for fun. Attended a private university, graduated ,did nysc . 2013 I jejely stopped Yahoo cos a man preached to me. Jejely I started dog biz...my mum died 2013..I was left with 3 siblings ..dad still here but will never support . Before her death, her sickness drained our savings. I couldnt even contribute a dime for burial my papa disgraced me well.i didnt give up. I v never searched for a job in this country. CV I no sabi write but God just dey push me forward. I like business more..I v done different types of biz. Long story short...u can start something with as little as 10k as long as u no dey shame to work to make ends meet. When u start feeling too big, na then problem go start. I have worked in a local bakery , worked as a laundry man, worked in a block industry , did furniture biz , now I m on cryto currency biz. It's been God plus discipline. Stay away from broke girls please.

Hmm...stay away from broke girls....they drag your destiny on the floor.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by DanielSmart2: 8:06am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:
I write this with tears in my eyes but I won't cry because a man is not supposed to.

If really I was such a bad person , I hope to change and live a better life. But to deserve unemployment because of a past situation I found myself in which I couldn't help, I think it's too much for me to bear, but what do I know? maybe I deserve to be unemployed.

Last year I got a marketing Job with a bank few months after my NYSC when things were extremely hard . Even transport money to go for the training was hard. On the first day of training, on my way home, I lost my phone which was the only thing of value I had then. Safe to say I began the Job phoneless , cashless and frustrated .

Even money to buy bank wears and appear smart or serious was a case . No transport for work, no phone for my work and marketing, no clothes to wear, I'll leave out feeding coz I could control that with starvation or one square meal. My mom was only able to raise small cash for me which most times didn't last a week, transport to and fro was 400 naira, a plate of food was 300, before I get transport for marketing , airtime and transport to call and bringing customers to open accounts and running around on the job which was money intensive, anybody who worked a as marketer before can relate...all these with a huge target of 30 accounts to open and a target of 3 million to bring to the bank.. At least I'm expected to spend 1k a day on the Job which I have not been paid. Remember it was my first month and most banks don't pay in the first month, it's in the second month they combine your salary and pay. Pay was 35k. I was just frustrated.

All these struggles manifested in my performance coz I couldn't deliver and my first two months was a mess coz some days I just couldn't go to work. Sometimes I came to work late coz I had to look for transport money in the morning. Being able to come to work and survive was my main concern then, I fell sick many times out of starvation and it affected my Job. On one occasion or two the Branch manager assisted with stipends when I complained to her about my struggles. Most times the stipends only lasted a day or two but It was a life saver for me coz there was no other option, at least I was able to come to work and eat the next day. Fellow colleagues couldn't help, nobody could, I dropped shame one day in the board meeting and asked for help for we the new staff and how hard it is for us to keep up with the Job. I got nothing.

Only for me to come back after 8 months for another bank Job interview and when my former Branch manager was called as a referral, the one I complained to about my struggles and reasons for my underperformance , the same one who assisted me sometimes and this was her reply "He's unserious, indiscipline and unfit for the Job. I was not supposed to hear that but the interviewer put it on loud by mistake and I heard that part before she quickly put the phone off. Immediately I knew I wasn't gonna get the Job.

It hurts me so much, dad is no more, mom a widow, siblings in school calling me day and night for money being the first son and bread winner. If I'm unserious and irresponsible, I can change & become better. No matter the circumstances I faced, I can't make excuses for that. But if I was such a terrible person to deserve unemployment . I let God be the Judge. The interview happened yesterday.

I'm back to the unemployment table guys. My advice to every young hustler out there is to do their best on any job they find themselves no matter the circumstances. But my prayer is for our pasts not to deny us our future bread. We go make am last last.

Every story has a two side bro...

Am sorry it came to this but always pray. And see that every disappointment is a blessing

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Heineken(m): 8:06am On Jun 20, 2019
Bluehill1051:
Go and die! BASTARD
no time to die yet bro... I never even start dey enjoy life. I wish you well sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by jojothaiv(m): 8:07am On Jun 20, 2019
Nnaabros:
Bank jobs!
You can reach out to him by introducing him to your signature note.
Or what do you think?

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by WHITELIGHTER: 8:08am On Jun 20, 2019
jaxxy:
U used ur previous place of work as part of ur job experience bt ur Performance there wasn’t good enough tho not totally ur fault bt due to circumstances beyond ur control at the time. It may have been better u didn’t put it bt then maybe the experience was what got u considered for the interview I’m not sure.

Yes, it was the experience, and the bank wanted to confirm and get recommendations... It happens all d time

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by labusinessguide: 8:08am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:

My thoughts:

You were not unserious, and all the adjective the lady described you with.

You simply didn't communicate effectively or express yourself without fear or timidity.

In this life, nobody cares as long as you claim that you can deliver.

In marketing... results speaks more volume than excuses...and if for any legitimate reason you can't deliver, instead of complain, it's more honourable to quit than struggle through your job.

Moving forward:

Please remove that lady from your reference.

She's your worst enemy and in your best interest, don't have her on your profile.

If you are genuinely hungry to create a lifetime income, I have an offer for you.

WhatsApp: 0.9.0.9.3.3.5.2.0.0.3

Best regards.

Yours,
LA

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by pennzo: 8:09am On Jun 20, 2019
taurusmena1:
Quite a touching story but I'll be a bit hard on you.
1)Communication is key. The way you pass a message across matters a lot and determines the response you get.

2) The way you dress is also key. You may have just one attire but you have to look neat else you will be passed as an unserious person

3)In the professional community, bosses do not want to hear complains rather they want results.lesson here is never carry your personal problems to your boss. Doesn't work out well most times

4) Work without faith is death. So it says in the Bible. We tend to commit everything to God in prayer and neglect working towards it. Do not resign your fate to God alone. He won't come and do for us what we can do for ourselves.

5)You have to be up and doing,look and act smart.

6)Until you get your desired job, make do with whatever legitimate job that puts food on your table no matter how degrading you feel it is.

All said, kindly respond with your current location and phone number

This is the best reply here. One thing we must learn is that people see you the way you see yourself. It is what it is.
That being said, I know how you must feel but you need to keep looking up and forward.

4 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by trandolph(m): 8:09am On Jun 20, 2019
[quote author=AGManuel post=79497614]I write this with tears in my eyes but I won't cry because a man is not supposed to.

You did nothing wrong bro. I'm sure a few of us on this platform share the same story (fresh out of nysc). Stay positive and always be on the lookout for opportunities. This is the beginning of a beautiful story you'd one day be able to tell others. Stay on the right track and I promise your time will come. �

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Total Nigeria Nationwide Recruitment 2013 / Gtbank Is Recruiting Fresh Graduates / Nigeria Police Force Recruiting Specialists And Professionals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.