Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,567 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. (57084 Views)

MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application / How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Nopanties: 8:11am On Jun 20, 2019
Sorry for your loss bro. But Quiters always lose.
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by boban007: 8:11am On Jun 20, 2019
IF I WERE U I WILL GO FIND THAT MANAGER AND LET HER KNOW THE EXTENT OF DAMAGE SHE HAS DONE TO ME WHILST I ALSO REMIND HER OF MY STRUGGLES.I WILL PINCH HER CONSCIENCE BEFORE LEAVING.BUT THEN THAT'S WHAT MAKES U STRONG.IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER.HE THAT IS STRONG NEEDS FEAR NO FALL.THESE ARE TEETHING PROBLEMS U WILL LOOK BACK AND SMILE SOMEDAY.IF U KNOW WHAT SOME PEOPLE GO THROUGH ATIMES ESPECIALLY IN NIGERIA U WILL BE SINGING HALLELUYAH.JUST PRAU TO GOD THST THIS WILL BE ONE OF US TESTIMONIES.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by nikz(f): 8:12am On Jun 20, 2019
It's not your fault my brother. Go job hunting again and God will favour you with a better package.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Stillthebest: 8:13am On Jun 20, 2019
TGM2015:
How did you leave your initial job?

The woman conclusion about you may not be connected with how you worked with her but how you left the job. You may not have known type of buttons she has been pressing because of you, only for you to tender your resignation. At least, she accommodate your inadequacies while you worked with her without reporting you or recommending that you should be sent back to your outsourced company.

Sometimes we need to reflect on recommendations that people gave on us. The woman comment might just be the best description of who you are as at the period you worked with her, because you are not the only new recruit in the same situation. You might be surprised to know how many people in your situation that the woman has experienced. God may have allow that mistake to happen for you to hear and make amend for possible future better offer coming your way. Don't live in self defense and denied blaming your attitude to work on your situation. Who knows whether that has also been the reason you are yet to get or sustain a good job after you left the initial one.

Now from your narration, you have support from your parent, your colleagues and supervisors and you cannot survive with their supports for a month. And I am sure the support comes more than once until everybody realized that you are just what the woman described you to be and stop giving you support. Secondly, you sometimes absent yourself from work, come to work late, don't meet your target, etc. Seriously, your condition wasn't the cause but your attitude to work. There are thousands of people who are in worst situations than you and survive the one and half months before pay. Moreover, if you have good attitude to work, relate well with people in the branch (operations and marketing staff), and not selective in assigned work, you can't be complaining of lack of support.

Though you might have been a changed person now, but at as that period of time the woman description of you is just the best description of who you are. My brother, think about it and make positive adjustments. May I also tell you never to include her as reference or better exclude that experience from your CV.

I wish you better job and new life to work.

Exceptional.

3 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Dentalgist: 8:16am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:
I write this with tears in my eyes but I won't cry because a man is not supposed to.

If really I was such a bad person , I hope to change and live a better life. But to deserve unemployment because of a past situation I found myself in which I couldn't help, I think it's too much for me to bear, but what do I know? maybe I deserve to be unemployed.

But if I tell you I'm not depressed, I'm lieing .

Last year I got a marketing Job with a bank few months after my NYSC when things were extremely hard . Even transport money to go for the training was hard. On the first day of training, on my way home, I lost my phone which was the only thing of value I had then. Safe to say I began the Job phoneless , cashless and frustrated .

Even money to buy bank wears and appear smart or serious was a case . No transport for work, no phone for my work and marketing, no clothes to wear, I'll leave out feeding coz I could control that with starvation or one square meal. My mom was only able to raise small cash for me which most times didn't last a week, transport to and fro was 400 naira, a plate of food was 300, before I get transport for marketing , airtime and transport to call and bringing customers to open accounts and running around on the job which was money intensive, anybody who worked a as marketer before can relate...all these with a huge target of 30 accounts to open and a target of 3 million to bring to the bank.. At least I'm expected to spend 1k a day on the Job which I have not been paid. Remember it was my first month and most banks don't pay in the first month, it's in the second month they combine your salary and pay. Pay was 35k. I was just frustrated.

All these struggles manifested in my performance coz I couldn't deliver and my first two months was a mess coz some days I just couldn't go to work. Sometimes I came to work late coz I had to look for transport money in the morning. Being able to come to work and survive was my main concern then, I fell sick many times out of starvation and it affected my Job. On one occasion or two the Branch manager assisted with stipends when I complained to her about my struggles. Most times the stipends only lasted a day or two but It was a life saver for me coz there was no other option, at least I was able to come to work and eat the next day. Fellow colleagues couldn't help, nobody could, I dropped shame one day in the board meeting and asked for help for we the new staff and how hard it is for us to keep up with the Job. I got nothing.

Not too long after, I resigned to pursue something else . I traveled.

Only for me to come back after 8 months for another bank Job interview and when my former Branch manager was called as a referral, the one I complained to about my struggles and reasons for my underperformance , the same one who assisted me sometimes and this was her reply "He's unserious, indiscipline and unfit for the Job. I was not supposed to hear that but the interviewer put it on loud by mistake and I heard that part before she quickly put the phone off. Immediately I knew I wasn't gonna get the Job.

It hurts me so much, dad is no more, mom a widow, siblings in school calling me day and night for money being the first son and bread winner. If I'm unserious and irresponsible, I can change & become better. No matter the circumstances I faced, I can't make excuses for that. But if I was such a terrible person to deserve unemployment . I let God be the Judge. The interview happened yesterday.

I'm back to the unemployment table guys. My advice to every young hustler out there is to do their best on any job they find themselves no matter the circumstances. But my prayer is for our pasts not to deny us our future bread. We go make am last last.

Why are people like this?
We live in a selfish world. Nobody cares.
Don't give up.
Keep trying.
And learn from your mistakes

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Greenishland(f): 8:17am On Jun 20, 2019
This reminds me of my story. Quite similar to yours but I was somehow smarter and determined to make it more than you did. Read my story .

After my ND, poverty was too much though I was working, my salary wasn't anything to go by. Luckily for me, I got a bank job on Friday and asked to resume on Monday in another very far town in the East precisely. Note that I am a lady and didn't know anyone in that town but believed all would be well.

All I had on me was 15,000 naira. I didn't know what to do so I decided to follow night bus to my new station in order to save money and I booked for standing as the money would be quite cheaper and that was how I stood throughout the night, wearing my old suit that my sister dashed me which was to be my resumption uniform and I was to wear this daily with one other rough looking one for the next two months.

I landed at the place, re arranged my hair and rubbed powder with my little luggage.

My survival technique was that I went and told my CSM a cock and bull story of how we were robbed on my way and dispossessed of all my cash and I really didn't have anything to survive with so I would be grateful if he would lend me some cash. He asked me how much I wanted, I said 20k to pay back after I got my first salary and that was it! He gave me the money and I was super excited.

After that, someone introduced me to a family over there and I started sleeping there and that was how the job started o.

My inability to wear nice clothes became a thing of mockery in the branch but I kept my head up till I got my salary before I started buying suits.

Note that I wasn't a slay queen but a very decent girl so I didn't have any body to support me but through it all, I was diligent and hard working. Let me not forget to add that the first house I rented was a mud house... Story that touches but I thank God for who I am today.

29 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Stillthebest: 8:18am On Jun 20, 2019
emkz:
Your writing is so professional, almost impeccable. I don't know if your story is true (some people have accused Nairaland mods of promoting stories written by porfessionals). So we don't know what to believe or what to discard. Well done for the very efficient presentation.

That said, you might want to consider a career in print journalism. Perhaps online journalism. If you are very imaginative, write stories for newspapers/blogs on topical issues. Also write movie stories for Nollywood. I am sure some responsible Producers can pay you for that. With time, your light can shine or you'd be noticed to even write speeches for governors and ministers.

How would he achieve this

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Adakintroy: 8:19am On Jun 20, 2019
Nigerian jobs at times are sickening. The working conditions for graduate is painfull.

My sister work as a teacher in a private school. The owner treats them as slave. She comes home complaining. It hurts me cus she is good human being.

If you are a owner today please treat your workers right. Pay them when dew and review salaries base on hardworking and perofrmance.

Don't say you are not making profit while you are building your third upstairs.

3 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Tsolutionifede(m): 8:21am On Jun 20, 2019
Don't think like that, God has better things 4 u than wat u think, and concerning the first Job, if u checked very well within urself that there was something u shld av done better, dont regret, just adjust for the upcoming well paid Jobs.quote this and let me prophesy into ur life. God loves

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by bixton(m): 8:22am On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:
I write this with tears in my eyes but I won't cry because a man is not supposed to.

If really I was such a bad person , I hope to change and live a better life. But to deserve unemployment because of a past situation I found myself in which I couldn't help, I think it's too much for me to bear, but what do I know? maybe I deserve to be unemployed.

But if I tell you I'm not depressed, I'm lieing .

Last year I got a marketing Job with a bank few months after my NYSC when things were extremely hard . Even transport money to go for the training was hard. On the first day of training, on my way home, I lost my phone which was the only thing of value I had then. Safe to say I began the Job phoneless , cashless and frustrated .

Even money to buy bank wears and appear smart or serious was a case . No transport for work, no phone for my work and marketing, no clothes to wear, I'll leave out feeding coz I could control that with starvation or one square meal. My mom was only able to raise small cash for me which most times didn't last a week, transport to and fro was 400 naira, a plate of food was 300, before I get transport for marketing , airtime and transport to call and bringing customers to open accounts and running around on the job which was money intensive, anybody who worked a as marketer before can relate...all these with a huge target of 30 accounts to open and a target of 3 million to bring to the bank.. At least I'm expected to spend 1k a day on the Job which I have not been paid. Remember it was my first month and most banks don't pay in the first month, it's in the second month they combine your salary and pay. Pay was 35k. I was just frustrated.

All these struggles manifested in my performance coz I couldn't deliver and my first two months was a mess coz some days I just couldn't go to work. Sometimes I came to work late coz I had to look for transport money in the morning. Being able to come to work and survive was my main concern then, I fell sick many times out of starvation and it affected my Job. On one occasion or two the Branch manager assisted with stipends when I complained to her about my struggles. Most times the stipends only lasted a day or two but It was a life saver for me coz there was no other option, at least I was able to come to work and eat the next day. Fellow colleagues couldn't help, nobody could, I dropped shame one day in the board meeting and asked for help for we the new staff and how hard it is for us to keep up with the Job. I got nothing.

Not too long after, I resigned to pursue something else . I traveled.

Only for me to come back after 8 months for another bank Job interview and when my former Branch manager was called as a referral, the one I complained to about my struggles and reasons for my underperformance , the same one who assisted me sometimes and this was her reply "He's unserious, indiscipline and unfit for the Job. I was not supposed to hear that but the interviewer put it on loud by mistake and I heard that part before she quickly put the phone off. Immediately I knew I wasn't gonna get the Job.

It hurts me so much, dad is no more, mom a widow, siblings in school calling me day and night for money being the first son and bread winner. If I'm unserious and irresponsible, I can change & become better. No matter the circumstances I faced, I can't make excuses for that. But if I was such a terrible person to deserve unemployment . I let God be the Judge. The interview happened yesterday.

I'm back to the unemployment table guys. My advice to every young hustler out there is to do their best on any job they find themselves no matter the circumstances. But my prayer is for our pasts not to deny us our future bread. We go make am last last.

In as much as its painful, do not let it derail you.
There are lots of persons who have gone through same.
There's always a light at the end.
Do not be surprised today you might be an employee, tomorrow you might be an employer.
Let whatever happened be a motivation for you.
Believe in yourself and your creator.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Nobody: 8:25am On Jun 20, 2019
OP...... I have a strong belief, God has a bigger plan than that job for you, and it'd happen before September. Keep your eyes on God.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by phemocheee(m): 8:27am On Jun 20, 2019
As serious and sensitive as this issue is, I shouldn't have laughed but bro this really cracked me up. May God help your friend.
Samsimple:
A friend of mine reduced his age in his cv and went for job interview, he was told by the panel that he was too young for the job.

When its ur time its ur time no man can do anything.. Man up bro
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by OlawaleBammie: 8:28am On Jun 20, 2019
SlimBrawnie:
First things first REMOVE THAT WITCH FROM YOUR CV AS A REFEREE! The heart of man is desperately wicked!
Man again?? Why are u like this?? THIS IS WOMAN AND NOT A MAN!!! haba!

3 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by AGManuel: 8:28am On Jun 20, 2019
ayusco85:

Quite a touching story. please whats your current location?

I'm in Abuja Sir. But I can travel if need be.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by diehard1: 8:29am On Jun 20, 2019
Don't loose hope, learn from the experience and at least be careful of who you use as reference. The people I used as reference in my early days even did worse. Yours is child's play. The lessons I learnt has helped me to know many things about employment in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Awoleesu(m): 8:29am On Jun 20, 2019
My sympathies young man!

I want to tell you where you did go wrong...

1.When quitting a job even under the worst circumstances, be thankful to the organization. Say something good about them in your resignation.

2. You should always warm yourself to the hearts of your bosses, especially those who have shown you some kindness (no matter how trivial)... That manager who did part with some "stipends" for you must have expected much from you - perseverance, smartness and a sense of gratitude. You disappointed her!

3. There are 'Boardroom' ethics... You don't talk about personal problems in a forum where organizational goals are the focus...

4. I'm glad you are intelligent enough to pick some lessons from your experience... We learn everyday!

My advice, please go to that erstwhile manager, apologize for your inexperienced attitude and convince her (without asking for any assistance) that you've learned and improved since then... Who knows, she might make you an offer.

Above all, our world is a topography of unlocking connections so don't burn bridges!

16 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by trantulla: 8:31am On Jun 20, 2019
Bro In Shaa Allah ,we will make it lass lass.....Just keep your head high life doesnt end there,am sure better days are ahead bro.
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Praktikals(m): 8:32am On Jun 20, 2019
All of those stress for a #35k job? embarassed

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 20, 2019
Deltatoto:
you are a graduate why not go into crime?the country does not give room for the youths.you must take it by force I’m sorry to tell you if you don’t become criminally minded you won’t make it in this country.i suffered like u too after graduation I managed to buy a corolla for air port business I was smart and lucky I carried one rich woman one day she had a lot of money in her bag I stole some from her and it was enough to settle myself today I’m established.naija na jungle no go Dey do gentle man.
Are u serious?
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Ten06(m): 8:34am On Jun 20, 2019
I won't blame you for losing the job but why was your public relation with neighbors, relatives and friends so poor that you could not find anyone to support you at a time of need like this? I'm not judging you bro but try and keep some good relationship that will feel the gap for you when the need arise

3 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by chloride6: 8:35am On Jun 20, 2019
OP, what an unfortunate story..

Sorry about the disappointment...

Try and learn from your mistakes because you can't exempt yourself from what happened.

Make sure you keep things personal and away from the office next time..
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by kaziblake(f): 8:41am On Jun 20, 2019
I feel bad for you. God sees your heart and he will surely give you a good job soon

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by tjadeba(m): 8:43am On Jun 20, 2019
TGM2015:
How did you leave your initial job?

The woman conclusion about you may not be connected with how you worked with her but how you left the job. You may not have known type of buttons she has been pressing because of you, only for you to tender your resignation. At least, she accommodate your inadequacies while you worked with her without reporting you or recommending that you should be sent back to your outsourced company.

Sometimes we need to reflect on recommendations that people gave on us. The woman comment might just be the best description of who you are as at the period you worked with her, because you are not the only new recruit in the same situation. You might be surprised to know how many people in your situation that the woman has experienced. God may have allow that mistake to happen for you to hear and make amend for possible future better offer coming your way. Don't live in self defense and denied blaming your attitude to work on your situation. Who knows whether that has also been the reason you are yet to get or sustain a good job after you left the initial one.

Now from your narration, you have support from your parent, your colleagues and supervisors and you cannot survive with their supports for a month. And I am sure the support comes more than once until everybody realized that you are just what the woman described you to be and stop giving you support. Secondly, you sometimes absent yourself from work, come to work late, don't meet your target, etc. Seriously, your condition wasn't the cause but your attitude to work. There are thousands of people who are in worst situations than you and survive the one and half months before pay. Moreover, if you have good attitude to work, relate well with people in the branch (operations and marketing staff), and not selective in assigned work, you can't be complaining of lack of support.

Though you might have been a changed person now, but at as that period of time the woman description of you is just the best description of who you are. My brother, think about it and make positive adjustments. May I also tell you never to include her as reference or better exclude that experience from your CV.

I wish you better job and new life to work.

Word!!!

3 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by MICHEALADEX(m): 8:45am On Jun 20, 2019
Tears down my eyes...can you drive please.

Maybe you start from somewhere. Small though

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by MICHEALADEX(m): 8:45am On Jun 20, 2019
Tears down my eyes...can you drive please.

Maybe you start from somewhere. Small though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by otokx(m): 8:45am On Jun 20, 2019
Nigerians can be very emotional and most times we end up being gullible.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Divay22(f): 8:46am On Jun 20, 2019
Heineken:
This jobzilla keep sending me mails to apply for jobs always. Am tired. I served 2014 till now no job. It's crazy..... To even eat atimes na war. This things atimes dey make me think so many things. It's not easy. Let's believe man
Don't worry.
The thing is just for you not to give up. Better days ahead of you. smiley
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Heineken(m): 8:49am On Jun 20, 2019
Divay22:

Don't worry.
The thing is just for you not to give up. Better days ahead of you. smiley
amen dear. It's not easy at all... I wonder how people without job and money cope?
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by 400billionman: 8:50am On Jun 20, 2019
Vega100:
Why did you include the said lady as ur referee?

He mentioned the bank as part of Previous Job experience. To facilitate the new job.

That's his mistake. And he didn't spot it.

So they had to enquire.

An unspotted mistake will happen again.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Izi4real(m): 8:51am On Jun 20, 2019
Samsimple:
A friend of mine reduced his age in his cv and went for job interview, he was told by the panel that he was too young for the job.

This is law of nemesis. Probably they requested for a lower age during application.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 20, 2019
Samsimple:

Too young? Na wa oh
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by tabaski: 8:55am On Jun 20, 2019
God will surely provide better job for u. Keep your head up. Banking job is not worth it. Trust me they will only waste ur youthful age and energy. I am a witness. It is not what it seems oo. Big ups bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic, Ile-Oluji, Ondo Recruitment 2017 / Gtbank Is Recruiting Fresh Graduates / Nigeria Police Force Recruiting Specialists And Professionals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.