Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. (57061 Views)

MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application / How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by AGManuel: 7:23pm On Jun 20, 2019
Daisy17:

I noticed that the OP did not respond to you although you made very pertinent points. He only responded to people who were consoling him, insulting his former manager or telling him that something better will come along. The OP certainly has a victim mentality and if he doesn't change his attitude he will face stumbling blocks all though his professional life. He needs to be more professional. He most likely quit without giving adequate notice. Also no professional brings their personal struggles to the workplace especially when it concerns finances. Most financial institutions would not want to employ someone who has glaring financial difficulties due to the fact that they may be tempted to steal money.

I definitely had my faults. The manager was good to me. I was only surprised with her reference knowing she knew the reason I underperformed. I wish to become a better person . Thanks Mate.
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by KIDfurniture(m): 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2019
People are so quick to judge others faults, but never quick to point out their own.. hypocrites oshiiii..

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by AGManuel: 7:47pm On Jun 20, 2019
Awoleesu:
My sympathies young man!

I want to tell you where you did go wrong...

1.When quitting a job even under the worst circumstances, be thankful to the organization. Say something good about them in your resignation.

2. You should always warm yourself to the hearts of your bosses, especially those who have shown you some kindness (no matter how trivial)... That manager who did part with some "stipends" for you must have expected much from you - perseverance, smartness and a sense of gratitude. You disappointed her!

3. There are 'Boardroom' ethics... You don't talk about personal problems in a forum where organizational goals are the focus...

4. I'm glad you are intelligent enough to pick some lessons from your experience... We learn everyday!

My advice, please go to that erstwhile manager, apologize for your inexperienced attitude and convince her (without asking for any assistance) that you've learned and improved since then... Who knows, she might make you an offer.

Above all, our world is a topography of unlocking connections so don't burn bridges!

Thank you so much Sir. Learnt alot.

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by AGManuel: 7:49pm On Jun 20, 2019
ayusco85:

Send me a pm. Hope you have a valid Lagos address you can use on ur cv.

Yes.Thanks alot Sir I'll do just that.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by ayusco85(m): 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:

Yes.Thanks alot Sir I'll do just that.

You welcome.

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Samsungx2: 8:29pm On Jun 20, 2019
I fully understand your pain in this, cause I was once in that situation.mine was fcmb,40k. I had nothing on me and I could not borrow either.to v cut the story short I resign after 6month cause it was frustrating job.

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by AGManuel: 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2019
Samsungx2:
I fully understand your pain in this, cause I was once in that situation.mine was fcmb,40k. I had nothing on me and I could not borrow either.to v cut the story short I resign after 6month cause it was frustrating job.

Was quite an experience.
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Juliearth(f): 11:51pm On Jun 20, 2019
AGManuel:
I write this with tears in my eyes but I won't cry because a man is not supposed to.

If really I was such a bad person , I hope to change and live a better life. But to deserve unemployment because of a past situation I found myself in which I couldn't help, I think it's too much for me to bear, but what do I know? maybe I deserve to be unemployed.

But if I tell you I'm not depressed, I'm lieing .

Last year I got a marketing Job with a bank few months after my NYSC when things were extremely hard . Even transport money to go for the training was hard. On the first day of training, on my way home, I lost my phone which was the only thing of value I had then. Safe to say I began the Job phoneless , cashless and frustrated .

Even money to buy bank wears and appear smart or serious was a case . No transport for work, no phone for my work and marketing, no clothes to wear, I'll leave out feeding coz I could control that with starvation or one square meal. My mom was only able to raise small cash for me which most times didn't last a week, transport to and fro was 400 naira, a plate of food was 300, before I get transport for marketing , airtime and transport to call and bringing customers to open accounts and running around on the job which was money intensive, anybody who worked a as marketer before can relate...all these with a huge target of 30 accounts to open and a target of 3 million to bring to the bank.. At least I'm expected to spend 1k a day on the Job which I have not been paid. Remember it was my first month and most banks don't pay in the first month, it's in the second month they combine your salary and pay. Pay was 35k. I was just frustrated.

All these struggles manifested in my performance coz I couldn't deliver and my first two months was a mess coz some days I just couldn't go to work. Sometimes I came to work late coz I had to look for transport money in the morning. Being able to come to work and survive was my main concern then, I fell sick many times out of starvation and it affected my Job. On one occasion or two the Branch manager assisted with stipends when I complained to her about my struggles. Most times the stipends only lasted a day or two but It was a life saver for me coz there was no other option, at least I was able to come to work and eat the next day. Fellow colleagues couldn't help, nobody could, I dropped shame one day in the board meeting and asked for help for we the new staff and how hard it is for us to keep up with the Job. I got nothing.

Not too long after, I resigned to pursue something else . I traveled.

Only for me to come back after 8 months for another bank Job interview and when my former Branch manager was called as a referral, the one I complained to about my struggles and reasons for my underperformance , the same one who assisted me sometimes and this was her reply "He's unserious, indiscipline and unfit for the Job. I was not supposed to hear that but the interviewer put it on loud by mistake and I heard that part before she quickly put the phone off. Immediately I knew I wasn't gonna get the Job.

It hurts me so much, dad is no more, mom a widow, siblings in school calling me day and night for money being the first son and bread winner. If I'm unserious and irresponsible, I can change & become better. No matter the circumstances I faced, I can't make excuses for that. But if I was such a terrible person to deserve unemployment . I let God be the Judge. The interview happened yesterday.

I'm back to the unemployment table guys. My advice to every young hustler out there is to do their best on any job they find themselves no matter the circumstances. But my prayer is for our pasts not to deny us our future bread. We go make am last last.

Don't lose hope, better opportunities await you.
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Joystark(f): 12:57am On Jun 21, 2019
Samsimple:
A friend of mine reduced his age in his cv and went for job interview, he was told by the panel that he was too young for the job.

When its ur time its ur time no man can do anything.. Man up bro

Lol... Bush meat catch hunter grin
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by stormborn28(m): 2:10am On Jun 21, 2019
Vega100:
Why did you include the said lady as ur referee?
this was what I had in mind.. That was his undoing
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by tonilite(f): 5:19am On Jun 21, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin
Samsimple:
A friend of mine reduced his age in his cv and went for job interview, he was told by the panel that he was too young for the job.

When its ur time its ur time no man can do anything.. Man up bro
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by salt1: 2:40pm On Jun 21, 2019
safarigirl:
My brother, men cry. Crying is human nature, only robots and dead people don't cry.

So, if you are at a point of frustration, cry. You can lock yourself in a room and cry out your frustrations, it is a key part in your healing process.

You cannot linger on the past, some things pass over you for a reason, even if you may not see these reasons initially. Take this, not just as a learning curve, but also as a challenge, to put your detractors to shame. [/b]Na privilege some people get, no be say den better pass you[b].

I need to always remember this

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by MightyFortress: 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2019
great thread
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Thecodingslayer: 8:24pm On Jun 21, 2019
AGManuel:
I write this with tears in my eyes but I won't cry because a man is not supposed to.

If really I was such a bad person , I hope to change and live a better life. But to deserve unemployment because of a past situation I found myself in which I couldn't help, I think it's too much for me to bear, but what do I know? maybe I deserve to be unemployed.

Last year I got a marketing Job with a bank few months after my NYSC when things were extremely hard . Even transport money to go for the training was hard. On the first day of training, on my way home, I lost my phone which was the only thing of value I had then. Safe to say I began the Job phoneless , cashless and frustrated .

Even money to buy bank wears and appear smart or serious was a case . No transport for work, no phone for my work and marketing, no clothes to wear, I'll leave out feeding coz I could control that with starvation or one square meal. My mom was only able to raise small cash for me which most times didn't last a week, transport to and fro was 400 naira, a plate of food was 300, before I get transport for marketing , airtime and transport to call and bringing customers to open accounts and running around on the job which was money intensive, anybody who worked a as marketer before can relate...all these with a huge target of 30 accounts to open and a target of 3 million to bring to the bank.. At least I'm expected to spend 1k a day on the Job which I have not been paid. Remember it was my first month and most banks don't pay in the first month, it's in the second month they combine your salary and pay. Pay was 35k. I was just frustrated.

All these struggles manifested in my performance coz I couldn't deliver and my first two months was a mess coz some days I just couldn't go to work. Sometimes I came to work late coz I had to look for transport money in the morning. Being able to come to work and survive was my main concern then, I fell sick many times out of starvation and it affected my Job. On one occasion or two the Branch manager assisted with stipends when I complained to her about my struggles. Most times the stipends only lasted a day or two but It was a life saver for me coz there was no other option, at least I was able to come to work and eat the next day. Fellow colleagues couldn't help, nobody could, I dropped shame one day in the board meeting and asked for help for we the new staff and how hard it is for us to keep up with the Job. I got nothing.

Only for me to come back after 8 months for another bank Job interview and when my former Branch manager was called as a referral, the one I complained to about my struggles and reasons for my underperformance , the same one who assisted me sometimes and this was her reply "He's unserious, indiscipline and unfit for the Job. I was not supposed to hear that but the interviewer put it on loud by mistake and I heard that part before she quickly put the phone off. Immediately I knew I wasn't gonna get the Job.

It hurts me so much, dad is no more, mom a widow, siblings in school calling me day and night for money being the first son and bread winner. If I'm unserious and irresponsible, I can change & become better. No matter the circumstances I faced, I can't make excuses for that. But if I was such a terrible person to deserve unemployment . I let God be the Judge. The interview happened yesterday.

I'm back to the unemployment table guys. My advice to every young hustler out there is to do their best on any job they find themselves no matter the circumstances. But my prayer is for our pasts not to deny us our future bread. We go make am last last.

I feel for you but a way you can control the stress is to cry, a very good cry session over everything, I'm also a guy and I know how it feels but crying helps just do it when you are alone, it is garanteed to help with depression and find a support system, it can consist of anybody who both of you have a mutual caring for each other and spill it all to the person and cry it all out. Crying releases stress relieving hormones in the brain and lets you calm down.
P. S it is medically proven so suck up your manhood pride and cry

2 Likes

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Dshocker(m): 11:41am On Jun 23, 2019
AGManuel:

Everybody is consoling you,but you failed to tell us the part where you had a misunderstanding with the branch manager?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by jojothaiv(m): 9:52pm On Aug 19, 2019
AGManuel:

Not very well sir.

Just a little because I served in Katsina State.
Sir, I'm sorry this is coming late, I will let you know once something comes up please...
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by jojothaiv(m): 9:54pm On Aug 19, 2019
Welcomme:
Help sir. My case is similar to his own. I can speak Hausa fluently. I can also write in Hausa as well. Thank you sir.
Maigida, I'm sorry for late response, I will notify you once something comes up sir...
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by DaddyELEPHANT: 6:26am On Dec 06, 2019
KIDfurniture:
People are so quick to judge others faults, but never quick to point out their own.. hypocrites oshiiii..
absolutely

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by deltateam: 12:03pm On Dec 06, 2019
Daisy17:

I noticed that the OP did not respond to you although you made very pertinent points. He only responded to people who were consoling him, insulting his former manager or telling him that something better will come along. The OP certainly has a victim mentality and if he doesn't change his attitude he will face stumbling blocks all though his professional life. He needs to be more professional. He most likely quit without giving adequate notice. Also no professional brings their personal struggles to the workplace especially when it concerns finances. Most financial institutions would not want to employ someone who has glaring financial difficulties due to the fact that they may be tempted to steal money.

I think you are no different from that woman. I hope you work for two months without pay at least that alone will qualify you to comment.
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by nuel000: 9:23am On Dec 08, 2019
From your story I don't see u as unserious, u tried your best, I've been in such shoes before, the only mistake you made is using your former BM as your referee

1 Like

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Qlibra(f): 7:15am On Dec 27, 2019
Awww .This is so sad to read. Got me even teary.
I have been through this before. It's really not easy. Unemployment got me so frustrated that I almost fell into depression.
I have given up on anything job search..So I don't even bother applying after the last one broke me into pieces (FRSC).I passed the exam and did screening and everything.Made it to the final stage and when it was time for camp, I got no invitation letter from them,I cried for a week cos that was a dream job for me but at the end I shook it off and prayed for better days..I hope things are better with you now. Don't worry, just keep pushing.. It gets better. Happy holiday.

AGManuel:

Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Minimumviable: 4:59pm On Sep 05, 2020
Glade SME Digital Bank, Africa's First Fully digital bank for small businesses is growing very fast and looking to hire a few direct sales representatives in Lagos.

In this role, you’ll be helping users create merchants accounts, for registered and unregistered businesses, startups and FSPs. You will also help recruit Agents.

All sound good to you?

Apply here https://glade.typeform.com/to/q58yHnFg

Salary 70k -100k
Free Health Insurance for yourself and family of four
Flexible work hours/Remote
Pension contribution.
Opportunity to grow in a fast-paced environment.

Please share, you may be helping someone.

Wish you all the best!!!
Re: This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 13, 2022
One must be careful of who you include as your reference. My old place of work I can't even dare to use them because when I was going they even put queries on my resignation letter, I don't even add them anymore to my list of experience. My last employer before retrenchment are nice people and even if I tell it that have been working with them for 4 years, they will watch my back. Dont trust people easily like that, and next time don't add reference unless asked.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Total Nigeria Nationwide Recruitment 2013 / Gtbank Is Recruiting Fresh Graduates / Update On LNSA Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.