Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,898 members, 7,806,622 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech (71540 Views)

Benz C300 Assessment & Review / Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / Adewale Auto Care And Diagnosis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by ojoj(m): 8:23pm On Jul 09, 2019
autologic:

It doesn't worth it ,it is a pure white elephant project .Sell your manual to buy auto
thank you.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:39pm On Jul 09, 2019
Maintenance and periodic replacement

The braking system is one of the main safety elements active in any vehicle. Of its various components, the materials that cause friction - brake discs and brake pads - need to be periodically maintained and replaced, as they are subject to wear.

To ensure that the braking system is always in perfect working order, both brake pads and brake discs must be maintained in the best possible condition. Indeed, each time the vehicle brakes, the friction generated causes the material used in both the brake pads and the brake discs to become worn.

To avoid compromising the working order of the braking system, when a certain level of wear has been reached, the brake discs and brake pads must be replaced.

The minimum thickness of the braking band (Min TH) is indicated on the brake discs, while the brake pads usually feature a wear indicator that signals when the pads need to be replaced.

When to replace brake discs and brake pads

We recommend checking your brakes every 15,000/20,000 kilometres, but a check-up should be performed immediately if the vehicle presents signs of vibration.

The main signals that indicate that the brake disc or brake pads are worn or deteriorated are:

• the warning light comes on (when one is present, and only for the brake pads)
• noise occurs during braking
• presence of vibrations
• presence of deep circular lines or radial cracks on the braking band
• signs of overheating

In some cases, the level of the brake fluid may also provide useful information about the rate of wear of the brake discs and brake pads. When the brake pads and discs become worn, the small piston of the brake caliper is forced to travel further in order to compensate for the loss of brake disc and/or pad thickness, in turn absorbing a larger quantity of brake fluid that causes the appropriate warning light on the dashboard to light up.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by maksteve(m): 11:56am On Jul 10, 2019
Morning.

Please I drive a Honda Accord 2004(Automatic transmission). Recently, i have been having issues with the gear. When the gear is on drive, it hesitates and revs before jerking forward, and I notice this is usually occurs between the GEAR 1-2 on the dashboard.

The issue actually started after I took my car for engine wash; then i noticed whenever i changed gears; either from drive to reverse or park, it jerks forward of backwards depending on the direction. I took it to my mechanic, he changed the gear switch and oil. The jerking during the gear change stopped, but the revving and jerking while accelerating didnt. Although, as soon as the speed increases to like 6okm/hr, or above gear2 sign on the dashboard, it doesnt occur anylonger. Until i slow down, and when i try to increase speed, it does so again.

I've tried two seperate mechanics, who have also tried changing the gear switch but problem still persists.

Do you have an idea what could be wrong?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by jceesquare(m): 4:31pm On Jul 10, 2019
maksteve:
Morning.

Please I drive a Honda Accord 2004(Automatic transmission). Recently, i have been having issues with the gear. When the gear is on drive, it hesitates and revs before jerking forward, and I notice this is usually occurs between the GEAR 1-2 on the dashboard.

The issue actually started after I took my car for engine wash; then i noticed whenever i changed gears; either from drive to reverse or park, it jerks forward of backwards depending on the direction. I took it to my mechanic, he changed the gear switch and oil. The jerking during the gear change stopped, but the revving and jerking while accelerating didnt. Although, as soon as the speed increases to like 6okm/hr, or above gear2 sign on the dashboard, it doesnt occur anylonger. Until i slow down, and when i try to increase speed, it does so again.

I've tried two seperate mechanics, who have also tried changing the gear switch but problem still persists.

When your mechanic flushed the gear oil, did you take note of the colour and smell of the oil?
Kindly pull the gear dip stick close to your nose and confirm if it smells burnt or has particles on it.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Ambalicious(m): 10:07pm On Jul 10, 2019
Pls what's your opinion on resur engine restoration kit
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:19pm On Jul 10, 2019
Ambalicious:
Pls what's your opinion on resur engine restoration kit
Just saw it on a thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/5289335/resurs-engine-restorer
Well i have not used it. So i am not one who can give an objective comment on it. Wouldnt be bad if U try it out so we can get a real life testimony
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:39pm On Jul 10, 2019
maksteve:
Morning.

Pls kindly provide answers to the earlier question.
In addition... this issue needs to be diagnosed to be able to pinpoint the real cause.it could ge electrical or mechanical. On the electrical side, Your transmission makes use of quite a number of solenoids.abt 3 pressure control solenoid valves, and abt 5 shift control solenoids. And also fluid pressure switches. All this work in certain predetermined sequence to give u ur desired result. If any of these solenoids fail it can result in the vibration u experience.
And there is a possibility it has nothing to do with the transmission. A faulty sensor sending wrong signal to the PCM can also cause similar jerking and surging during acceleration.
So pls kindly visit a competent auto technician to help with indepth diagnosis of ur car systems
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by maksteve(m): 8:04am On Jul 11, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Pls kindly provide answers to the earlier question.
In addition... this issue needs to be diagnosed to be able to pinpoint the real cause.it could ge electrical or mechanical. On the electrical side, Your transmission makes use of quite a number of solenoids.abt 3 pressure control solenoid valves, and abt 5 shift control solenoids. And also fluid pressure switches. All this work in certain predetermined sequence to give u ur desired result. If any of these solenoids fail it can result in the vibration u experience.
And there is a possibility it has nothing to do with the transmission. A faulty sensor sending wrong signal to the PCM can also cause similar jerking and surging during acceleration.
So pls kindly visit a competent auto technician to help with indepth diagnosis of ur car systems

Thanks..
I wasn't there when he changed he the oil, but i remember him mentioning that the oil was light.

I'll probably have to take it to Honda place at Mile2.
Seems this guys are just doing trial and error
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by maksteve(m): 8:05am On Jul 11, 2019
jceesquare:

When your mechanic flushed the gear oil, did you take note of the colour and smell of the oil?
Kindly pull the gear dip stick close to your nose and confirm if it smells burnt or has particles on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.. unfortunately i don't know where the gear dip stick is, and wasn't there when the oil was flushed.

Thanks for the help though
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:05am On Jul 11, 2019
maksteve:

Thanks..
I wasn't there when he changed he the oil, but i remember him mentioning that the oil was light.

1. so now we dnt know if he put in the right oil?
2. there is no scan result on the transmission system to rule out electrical issue.

we have nothing to work with here brother. you can try d honda place or contact autologic...
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:06am On Jul 11, 2019
maksteve:

Thanks..

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by ayodele2012(m): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2019
Good day my engineer please I av Chevrolet malibu 2008.the engine occasionally went off once in a while whenever I match the brake most especially if am in bad spot of the road.what might be the cause.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2019
ayodele2012:
Good day my engineer please I av Chevrolet malibu 2008.the engine occasionally went off once in a while whenever I match the brake most especially if am in bad spot of the road.what might be the cause.
U most likely have a faulty brake booster causing a vacuum leak into the engine. Its allowi mm g too much air into the cylinder reason for the engine going off.
Repair might be changing the brake booster.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by ayodele2012(m): 5:17pm On Jul 11, 2019
[quote author=AutoMoTech post=80156141][/quote] thanks a lot.pls can I get ur personal number.so we can talk and moreover where is ur workshop.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by ayodele2012(m): 5:19pm On Jul 11, 2019
AutoMoTech:

U most likely have a faulty brake booster causing a vacuum leak into the engine. Its allowi mm g too much air into the cylinder reason for the engine going off.
Repair might be changing the brake booster.
thanks a lot.pls can I get ur number so we can talk and where is ur workshop.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 5:33pm On Jul 11, 2019
ayodele2012:
thanks a lot.pls can I get ur number so we can talk and where is ur workshop.

you are welcome sir. Number is 07062222998
workshop address is on my signature however I haven't resumed fully as i am working on putting some other things in place.
pls do contact autologic if he is closer to you.
or find a competent mechanic to help you confirm the diagnosis and carryout the fix.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by ayodele2012(m): 10:07pm On Jul 11, 2019
AutoMoTech:

you are welcome sir. Number is 07062222998
workshop address is on my signature however I haven't resumed fully as i am working on putting some other things in place.
pls do contact autologic if he is closer to you.
or find a competent mechanic to help you confirm the diagnosis and carryout the fix.
thanks my engineer but hope is not a major fault.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by moluwaseun: 11:04pm On Jul 11, 2019
I really appreciate the good works you are doing, I noticed coolant loss on my Toyota Highlander 2004, took it to the mechanic and he replaced radiator cap, still had same issues and car got overheated, took it back and noticed a leak on the plastic part on the top of the radiator, he replaced the plastic part and still same issue of coolant loss after driving, while washing the car this morning, I noticed lots of coolant on the rear floor just behind the front passenger seat, the coolant gets so much and also little around the front passenger just along the door side, but that if the rear floor seems so plenty after driving what could be the cause and solution I would appreciate thanks
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:29am On Jul 12, 2019
moluwaseun:
I really appreciate the good works you are doing, I noticed coolant loss on my Toyota Highlander 2004, took it to the mechanic and he replaced radiator cap, still had same issues and car got overheated, took it back and noticed a leak on the plastic part on the top of the radiator, he replaced the plastic part and still same issue of coolant loss after driving, while washing the car this morning, I noticed lots of coolant on the rear floor just behind the front passenger seat, the coolant gets so much and also little around the front passenger just along the door side, but that if the rear floor seems so plenty after driving what could be the cause and solution I would appreciate thanks
sorry about your ordeal sir. obviously your coolant is leaking somewhere. first i would point out you plan to change that radiator completely for a used one because that plastic part they changed in the long run will not serve you well.
secondlypls provide picture evidence so we can see where exactly you say U saw coolant because personally i find it hard to imagine coolant leaking for cooling system in the engine compartment and then getting to the rear of the front passenger seat. pls do reply and attach pictures so we can help with getting you the right fix.
will be expecting.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:32am On Jul 12, 2019
ayodele2012:
thanks my engineer but hope is not a major fault.
bros fix that problem asap. for your safety. imagine you are trying to turn into a street, u step on the brakes and car goes off however there is a car coming behind you with high speed?
God forbid it happens. pls replace the brake booster with a good unit. because major or minor baba fault na fault.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Ambalicious(m): 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2019
I drive a 2007 Camry buh ma engine producing light blue smoke when d engine is cold. My oil is far less than normal. What will be the cause pls
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 5:23pm On Jul 13, 2019
Ambalicious:
I drive a 2007 Camry buh ma engine producing light blue smoke when d engine is cold. My oil is far less than normal. What will be the cause pls
Sorry about the ordeal. What U r experiencing is oil leaking into the cylinder.
Usually causes are worn piston rings or oil valve seals.
Now since it only at start up it possible the oil just drips slowly into d cylinder after engine is shut off and then gets burnt during start up. However since u say the oil is far less than normal there is possibility it leaks not just at start up bt also wen d engine runs.
What oil spec do you use? If it is 0w20 or 5w30 kindly consider switching to a thicker oil like 10w or 15w and see how it performs. This is only a temporary switch affording you time to save up and either fix the leak or get another engine.
Also the 2AZ-FE engines are known to have oil leaks as a factory defect. So kindly consider that also.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 2:35am On Jul 14, 2019
got questions? ask me.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2019
Good evening
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AshipaEk0: 8:00am On Jul 16, 2019
AutoMoTech:
got questions? ask me.

XC90

Handling was wonky and had noises on front driver side wheel.

Upon inspection, was advised to change

Shock Absorber
Lower Arm bushing
Steering link
Ball joint.

Which were replaced.

Had wheel alignment done

Still have some noise when I get into potholes on that wheel.

Funniest part is that it seems the wheel alignment made the steering worse

What do you think?
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AutoMoTech(m): 11:56am On Jul 16, 2019
AshipaEk0:

XC90

Handling was wonky and had noises on front driver side wheel.

Upon inspection, was advised to change

Shock Absorber
Lower Arm bushing
Steering link
Ball joint.

Which were replaced.

Had wheel alignment done

Still have some noise when I get into potholes on that wheel.

Funniest part is that it seems the wheel alignment made the steering worse

What do you think?
Morning. Sorry for the late reply. I need to ask some questions please.
The replacement parts you got were they new or used?
Also when they suggested you replace those parts did dey completely dismantle the whole suspension parts or just d mechanic just looked and said you should replace this and that?
Reason i ask is this. Suspension noise atimes can be super difficult to diagnose. Some bushings will be bad and by just looking u think dey r good until u remove them then u see dey r completely bad.
Sometyms missing parts can cause this noise. Worked on a honda crv once. We replaced all the old parts bt noise never went away until someone mentioned if the shock pad is there. I said no cuz it didnt come with the shock. So we tot d shock dt was there was oem cuz the ride was a recent model crv.
Well we put the shock pad and d noise went away straight. So my advice
1. Ensure the replacements parts are good.no guessing.
2. Dismantle the whole suspension and check all bushings. REplace bad ones
3. Look out for missing parts, check the steering system, exhaust and wateva is related to the chassis.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by AshipaEk0: 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Morning. Sorry for the late reply. I need to ask some questions please.
The replacement parts you got were they new or used?
Also when they suggested you replace those parts did dey completely dismantle the whole suspension parts or just d mechanic just looked and said you should replace this and that?
Reason i ask is this. Suspension noise atimes can be super difficult to diagnose. Some bushings will be bad and by just looking u think dey r good until u remove them then u see dey r completely bad.
Sometyms missing parts can cause this noise. Worked on a honda crv once. We replaced all the old parts bt noise never went away until someone mentioned if the shock pad is there. I said no cuz it didnt come with the shock. So we tot d shock dt was there was oem cuz the ride was a recent model crv.
Well we put the shock pad and d noise went away straight. So my advice
1. Ensure the replacements parts are good.no guessing.
2. Dismantle the whole suspension and check all bushings. REplace bad ones
3. Look out for missing parts, check the steering system, exhaust and wateva is related to the chassis.

We took apart the whole suspension o.

Pads everything was checked

That's how we found the bad bushing

Parts are new
Might try replacing all bushings just for the sake of it
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Canadanow: 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2019
Weldone bro. I changed my timing belt and water pump and my car brought a check engine light but my car is running smoothly for now. No overheating and no water leak anymore.

I scanned it and the code was P0018.

Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Ambalicious(m): 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2019
My car suddenly went off while negotiating a full turn a u-turn. It happened twice today.
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 6:19pm On Jul 16, 2019
Ambalicious:
My car suddenly went off while negotiating a full turn a u-turn. It happened twice today.
You need to state the model of car for easier analysis , however what will make a car to go off this circumstances is unexpected load on the vehicle powertrain system which the ecu is unable to make compensation for or the compensation is made but not reflected on the output .
Check the throttle system assembly for dirts
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by autologic: 6:21pm On Jul 16, 2019
Canadanow:
Weldone bro. I changed my timing belt and water pump and my car brought a check engine light but my car is running smoothly for now. No overheating and no water leak anymore.

I scanned it and the code was P0018.
Erase it and check if the code reapper and if so then the the timing is not yet correct
Re: REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech by Ambalicious(m): 8:04pm On Jul 16, 2019
autologic:

You need to state the model of car for easier analysis , however what will make a car to go off this circumstances is unexpected load on the vehicle powertrain system which the ecu is unable to make compensation for or the compensation is made but not reflected on the output .
Check the throttle system assembly for dirts
it's a 2007 Toyota Camry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

Overloaded Car Spotted At Karim-Imogen Lagos... / Cars Fall Inside Water / Nigerian Royal Fathers Welcome Prince Charles, Arrive In Luxury Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.