Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (47769 Views)

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / How Much Do Doctors Earn In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by adioolayi(m): 10:15am On Jun 21, 2019
Jonathan:
ode
oponu, arindin babanla baba afofun gbe'mu
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by jonadaft: 10:19am On Jun 21, 2019
ornicus:

Pele.not your fault you are a pass graduate who has to chase state govt job.e go better. Hopefully you will not be dragging with cleaner on salary.
Ọdẹ
So everyone must be a doctor or everyone must have passion for it ?
The health system is a complex one with different key role players.
And for your info dolt, I'm on level 10 approaching 12 and I work in the health sector.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by jonadaft: 10:28am On Jun 21, 2019
adioolayi:

oponu, arindin babanla baba afofun gbe'mu
orie buru
onisa
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by mechanics(m): 10:41am On Jun 21, 2019
But the step is different with other courses for engineering graduate.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 21, 2019
Jonathan:

Ọdẹ
So everyone must be a doctor or everyone must have passion for it ?
The health system is a complex one with different key role players.
And for your info dolt, I'm on level 10 approaching 12 and I work in the health sector.

Oh. I see. One of those johesu jokers who think their 4 years dubbing puts them on the same footing with medical doctors.

You are support and nothing more.deal with it

It is only in Nigeria we see this nonsense, just as it is in Nigeria that some engineering olodos will be equating the stress med school with engineering school

i know your story well. Wanted to be a doctor, couldn't make the cut, and now constantly beefing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by adioolayi(m): 11:23am On Jun 21, 2019
Jonathan:
orie buru onisa
grin grin ko si apere omoluabi kankan la'ra re
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by nurex01(m): 12:00pm On Jun 21, 2019
chrisxxx:

Noted.
thanks. Patiently waiting waiting Sir
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by jonadaft: 1:24pm On Jun 21, 2019
ornicus:

Oh. I see. One of those johesu jokers who think their 4 years dubbing puts them on the same footing with medical doctors.

You are support and nothing more.deal with it

It is only in Nigeria we see this nonsense, just as it is in Nigeria that some engineering olodos will be equating the stress med school with engineering school

i know your story well. Wanted to be a doctor, couldn't make the cut, and now constantly beefing.
Hahaha
Lol
What a dolt grin
Wanted to be a doctor my ass.
Well of course, I'm going to be a doctor soon as I'm on my 6th seminar....
You're nothing but an ignorant clown.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by jonadaft: 1:33pm On Jun 21, 2019
ornicus:

you are the typical nigerian who expects doctors to treat you for free because their reward is in heaven

continue. i hope for your sake you are rich, because the brain drain is back. doctors are not waiting around for the mercies of ungrateful nigerians

now back to the point that completely flew over your head.

every profession has industries or niches where its practiononers are well paid.

instead of whining about civil service, find an industry where you are a prime driver

an engineering firm has accountants, drivers, engineers, drafters, it guys. who do you think are the best paid people in the office?
an oil company has an it dept, a clinic, engineering departments, safety. who do you think are the best paid?
a bank has facilities management, it, different banking units, security dept. who is the best paid

when i was younger, people would say - don't do this profession it does not pay, that profession does not pay and so on
one of my dad's friends was warning me against architecture. in my second job, i was in the construction design industry and i met architects absolutely killing it.

pull yourself together and get yourself into an industry where your profession pays. or you can sit on your butt whining about entry level wage gasps

The Nigeria/Nigerians that made you are ungrateful?
What a foooooooool
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Godmademan(m): 5:55pm On Jun 21, 2019
To qualify to be a doctor, you must go through the following with constant risk of being thrown out the door at any point in time:

BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES
- Anatomy
+ Gross Anatomy
+ Histology
+ Embryology
- Medical Biochemistry
- Medical Physiology

PATHOLOGY
+ Medical Microbiology
+ Histopathology
+ Chemical Pathology
+ Haematology

PHARMACOLOGY

SUBSPECIALTIES
- Ophthalmology
- Anaeathesiology
- Radiology
- Dermatology

SURGERY
- Cardiothoraic
- Orthopaedics & Plastics
- Otolaryngology
- Urology
- Neurosurgery
- General Surgery

MEDICINE
- Nephrology
- Endocrinology
- Cardiology
- Gastrology
- e.t.c.

PAEDIATRICS (With subspecialties)

OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY

PSYCHIATRY

PUBLIC HEALTH

1 YEAR OF HOUSEJOB

YEARS OF TRAINING FOR SPECIALIZATION

One could easily be eligible for a degree in each area based on the amount of details required to be learnt from each. The undergraduate programme runs for 8 sessions in some schools.

If the system decides to reward doctors, then so be it. Meanwhile with all these complains, Nigerian doctors are amongst the least paid worldwide.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Godmademan(m): 8:30pm On Jun 21, 2019
Stillthebest:

Has nothing to do with this. Every course has difficulties ro graduate from. Some courses are tedious more than medicine and surgery. Moat times medicine is about rotleaening and cramming. Have you not seen a medical doctor thag after you Complain to him or her and they take our their medical books to study for your complaints. Expertise of a doc is based on experience and learning on the job. It is simply because of the sensitivity of the profession and contribution to the country economy and also in saving lives. And they are treated as such all over the world. Every govt understands that any doctor whom your life depends on must be well taken care of and well fed. Or do you think they don't know that other professions are not underpaid?
Trust me, cramming does not help a medical trainee much. A minor specialty in medicine can have books with large volumes. Considering how wide medicine is, it is not a crime for a young doctor to visit his books for clarifications. Even professors still get excited when they see some cases because that might be the last time they get to see such and learn from.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Stillthebest: 7:53am On Jun 22, 2019
Godmademan:
Trust me, cramming does not help a medical trainee much. A minor specialty in medicine can have books with large volumes. Considering how wide medicine is, it is not a crime for a young doctor to visit his books for clarifications. Even professors still get excited when they see some cases because that might be the last time they get to see such and learn from.

Right. But they do cram alot. I had a stint in the course that's why I knew. Especially to pass exams. But the course has more to do with understanding human body formations and diseases associated with causes in line with your speciality.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Godmademan(m): 10:12am On Jun 22, 2019
Stillthebest:

Right. But they do cram alot. I had a stint in the course that's why I knew. Especially to pass exams. But the course has more to do with understanding human body formations and diseases associated with causes in line with your speciality.
some people cram in the pre-clinicals, but you can't survive a day in clinical medicine by cramming. You will be smoked out and sent home.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Stillthebest: 10:56am On Jun 22, 2019
Godmademan:
some people cram in the pre-clinicals, but you can't survive a day in clinical medicine by cramming. You will be smoked out and sent home.

Why I said right.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Godmademan(m): 11:06am On Jun 22, 2019
Stillthebest:

Why I said right.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Godmademan(m): 11:13am On Jun 22, 2019
Stillthebest:

Why I said right.
Yea… You had a stint in Medicine? Why did you opt out?
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Stillthebest: 11:34am On Jun 22, 2019
Godmademan:
Yea…
You had a stint in Medicine? Why did you opt out?

Long story. Lost dad in a plane crash. Affected me deeply, fell sick Close to two years lectures became on and off, result became bad at Part two. So I withdrew. That's part Two. Later went for a course in sciences but not medicine n surgery.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by superman1073: 11:50am On Jun 22, 2019
~~*Entrepreneur Fund Foundation (EFF)~~* is a Non-Governmental Organization founded in 2014 by some group of entrepreneurs and international business men to help grow and support entrepreneurs all over the world
Our objective is to finance entrepreneurs by providing them with both capitals and connections they need to achieve their goals.

We fund only projects that are sustainable, achievable and active on an ongoing basis.
 1. IS IT SUSTAINABLE?
The longitivity of a programme and it's success depends on self reliance and support from donors.

2.  IS IT ACHIEVABLE?
We aim to impact withseminars on skill acquisitions, grants, support to orphanages and less privileges.

3. IS IT IMPACTFUL?
Our impact is a medium that allow us to measure, evaluate and learn on how to continually make a decision. ‎
4.  IS IT DURABLE? Our experience and affiliation to foreign NGOs, makes us able to exist longtime without deterioration in value.‎

Criteria ‎
The applicants must be at least 18 years and at most 50 years.
You must not have any form of formal education to apply (artisans and traders are also qualified).
You must be willing to
operate the business on full time basis.
The applicants should have a new-fanged or inventive business idea in need of a start-up.
Or already have an existing small business that needs capital to expand operations..                                                  FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT www.entrepreneurfundfoundation‎.com

NOTE: WE NEED UP TO 500 ENTREPRENEURS TO BE IN ATTENDANCE /INDICATE INTEREST BEFORE THE REPRESENTATIVE CAN COME FOR THEIR PRESENTATION IN IBADAN. IT IS FREE. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE. JOIN/INVITE PEOPLE THROUGH THE WHATSAPP LINK BELOW. https:///Jrbj0Jta3kLJYlliFUPfDj

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Godmademan(m): 12:50pm On Jun 22, 2019
Stillthebest:

Long story. Lost dad in a plane crash. Affected me deeply, fell sick Close to two years lectures became on and off, result became bad at Part two. So I withdrew. That's part Two. Later went for a course in sciences but not medicine n surgery.
Sorry about that. Sure you're making progress in your new endeavour.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Stillthebest: 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2019
Godmademan:
Sorry about that. Sure you're making progress in your new endeavour.

Lol,yes God deserves the glory. And thanks. God bless.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Evangkatsoulis: 8:32pm On Jun 22, 2019
Tonymario58:
I'm a doctor, yes I save lives
I spent 6 years in school without extra years.
I sat for 5 exams (one sessional and 4 professionals)
1st professional was about straight 18 months including weekend for tutorials after which I had 2 weeks break
2nd professional lasted about 16 months with one week break afterwards
3rd professional lasted 14 months with one week break afterwards
Lastly 4th professional called final MB lasted about 10 months then hurray, you're a doctor

For the engineers while in school, they spent 5 years in all without extra year, 2 semesters per year with 4 months long vacation per year normally,
In all, Engineers spent 10 semesters in school with gaps while doctors spent at least 18 uninterrupted semesters excluding 12 uninterrupted months for internship before full licensing.

Take prejudice away, forget the so called nobility associated with the profession.
Dear OP, even if you're so liberal a parent, you'll count yourself lucky n life, if your child ends up a doctor.

Doctors are smart
You can't be a doctor if you're not smart
You can be a doctor without much intelligence but you must be SMART �

Lol. This is dum.b.
Studies show Engineers, physicists, mathematicians have higher average Iq's than doctors.
Funny enough, in some countries like Russia, Medicine is regarded more as craftmanship than real science like Physics..
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by sreamsense: 7:32pm On Aug 09, 2019
Engineers and Doctors start from the same level. A fresh graduate in engineering is not yet an engineer, except he is certified by relevant bodies in engineering, many of you are comparing graduate engineers that are not yet engineers:

point of salary Grade Level 09 for Engineers in the Public Service:

By this development, graduate Engineers will now be employed in the service on GL 09, get upgraded to GL 10 after two years and further upgraded to GL 12 upon registration with COREN. (by this time, number of years spent by medical doctors in school must have been equivalent with engineers after coren. So, logically, they are put on the same salary scale in public service

Although, it is only a lazy engineer that will be queuing for state or federal jobs for longer time, most of them work for shorter times. With relevant skills, engineers can earn more. Googling "1000 richest men in the world" and check their profiles will suggest to your that engineers are wealth creators, you can't see any doctor or salary earners among the top 1000 richest men in the world, many of them are engineers and computer experts, doctors can be comfortable but not wealthy, their major underlined aim is to safe life and not money

https://nse.org.ng/news-events/recent-news/entry-point-for-engineers
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by sreamsense: 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2019
Ninethmare:
I was going through the Nigeria Prison Entry Level for graduate and I noticed that those with M.B.B.S or Doctors are automatically on Level 12 immediately they are recruited.

Other medical courses are giving more preference in Level than others

Considering the years it will take for someone on grade 08 to reach grade 12 in Federal Government Job you will know that it's quite not fair

But what confused me was Almighty Engineering courses were placed on level 08

It's quite disheartening that we that studied Engineering for 5yrs, solved all those mathematics and spent so much are placed with other courses who studied 4yrs on the same entry level which is level 8 in Federal Jobs

Please I need your taking on this

Why is M.B.B.S placed so high and Engineering not given preference?

It is not true, you seem not to understand the logic behind salary structure. Engineers and Doctors start from the same level.

Registered Doctor (at least before you are free to practice): 6yrs mbbs + 1yr (housmanship) + 1yr (NYSC) = 8yrs (before you can be employed by hospital). Note: Some might not get housemanship placement in one yr because of limited numbers of hospitals availability. So, for a fully registered doctor to be employed after NYSC, about 8-10yrs must have been spent, it means:
After 8-10yrs as registered doctor fully ready to practise at Federal, the person will start at level 12

For engineer, a fresh graduate in engineering is not yet an engineer, except he is certified by relevant bodies in engineering before he/she can be fully ready to be called engineer:
engineering (B engr ): 5yrs + 1yr = 6yr (fresh graduate not yet registered engineer, but can begin work if he likes at level 9 in public service), two yrs after (8yrs-when doctor is doing housemanship if he is lucky to get housemanship on time), engineer in federal service already moved to level 10. At 9/10 yrs when doctor must have finished NYSC and qualified to work in any hospital as registered doctor (i.e federal), by this time, engineer already has 4yrs post-graduate experience and become registered engineer(fresh) who now starts at level 12 which is the same as that of doctor(registered). Engineer even gets better opportunity because many factors can cause medical doctor to be delayed than 8/9/10yrs and also, engineer has been collecting money even before becoming registered engineer while doctor was still paying money to school and other finances before becoming registered. Amount collected during 1yr housemanship can not be compared with what level 10 engineer has collected so far. So, people that structured federal salary scale know what they are doing, fresh registered doctor and fresh registered engineer in federal institutions are logically starts on the same level in public service, numbers of years play important role.

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 14, 2019
Lagusta:

PLAB is better
"
some (most) of them are old hags, i dont blame them. They were told "read hard, study hard, pass your exams" but no, they decided to skip classes, meet their boyfriends, waste thei lives away, and now, they are forming an alliance with the steewpid pharmacists and lab scientists
how steeewpid can some he-diots and she-diots be"

How can you be this rude and cocky?
Thankfully you are porting to UK, where your ass could be sued if you don't cooperate and do the right thing. You were privileged didn't mean others were lazy.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Aug 14, 2019
Lagusta:

PLAB is better
I hope you aren't as silly and dumb as u are in 2015.
Your consultants run private clinics and train quacks and call dem auxiliary nurses. These people end up opening clinics and commit blunders, the society do not know, all they know is, a nurse did it.
If you reason well, how would a registered nurse do something like that??
You do not want other profession to progress, you still bastardize those profession by training quacks. I wish you all call them auxiliary doctors instead.

"...
the nurse checked her glucose, it was high, so the nurse decided, from her own stinking mind, to give her a higher dose of insulin, and hey guess what, SHE GAVE IT INTRAVENOUSLY!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
See as I dey laaaff in aboriginal Australian!!!!
These are the nurses that want to be consultants.... Lololzzzz""
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 14, 2019
Lagusta:

PLAB is better
"She had all I needed in a lady, and she was too brilliant to be a nurse..."

can u really go far in life with this your cocky attitude? Nurses are meant to be dull? What was your background like before you entered uni, you mever met nurses or know of any? What sort of ignorance is this?
I want to believe it was due to the euphoria of being a new med grad. but if you are still that saucy, heaven helps you.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Ninethmare: 11:36am On Aug 16, 2019
sreamsense:

It is not true, you seem not to understand the logic behind salary structure. Engineers and Doctors start from the same level.

Registered Doctor (at least before you are free to practice): 6yrs mbbs + 1yr (housmanship) + 1yr (NYSC) = 8yrs (before you can be employed by hospital). Note: Some might not get housemanship placement in one yr because of limited numbers of hospitals availability. So, for a fully registered doctor to be employed after NYSC, about 8-10yrs must have been spent, it means:
After 8-10yrs as registered doctor fully ready to practise at Federal, the person will start at level 12

For engineer, a fresh graduate in engineering is not yet an engineer, except he is certified by relevant bodies in engineering before he/she can be fully ready to be called engineer:
engineering (B engr ): 5yrs + 1yr = 6yr (fresh graduate not yet registered engineer, but can begin work if he likes at level 9 in public service), two yrs after (8yrs-when doctor is doing housemanship if he is lucky to get housemanship on time), engineer in federal service already moved to level 10. At 9/10 yrs when doctor must have finished NYSC and qualified to work in any hospital as registered doctor (i.e federal), by this time, engineer already has 4yrs post-graduate experience and become registered engineer(fresh) who now starts at level 12 which is the same as that of doctor(registered). Engineer even gets better opportunity because many factors can cause medical doctor to be delayed than 8/9/10yrs and also, engineer has been collecting money even before becoming registered engineer while doctor was still paying money to school and other finances before becoming registered. Amount collected during 1yr housemanship can not be compared with what level 10 engineer has collected so far. So, people that structured federal salary scale know what they are doing, fresh registered doctor and fresh registered engineer in federal institutions are logically starts on the same level in public service, numbers of years play important role.

You are so correct, thanks for the enlightenment
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Lagusta(m): 6:05pm On Aug 20, 2019
camobri:

"She had all I needed in a lady, and she was too brilliant to be a nurse..."

can u really go far in life with this your cocky attitude? Nurses are meant to be dull? What was your background like before you entered uni, you mever met nurses or know of any? What sort of ignorance is this?
I want to believe it was due to the euphoria of being a new med grad. but if you are still that saucy, heaven helps you.

lol, you actually dug up 2015 post in 2019, really

Anyway, for your info, i have MANY nurses as close friends and colleagues, and we work as a team to make the patient feel better.

Meanwhile, lets chill for some cool drinks, state your location lets know whats up
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 20, 2019
Lagusta:

lol, you actually dug up 2015 post in 2019, really

Anyway, for your info, i have MANY nurses as close friends and colleagues, and we work as a team to make the patient feel better.

Meanwhile, lets chill for some cool drinks, state your location lets know whats up
good to know ur not as saucy as before. Nah, send me d money for the drinks and all instead.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 25, 2019
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 25, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Murphy Juliana: Beautiful Lady Mechanic In Lagos (Photos) / Coronavirus: British Airways To Sack 12,000 Employees / Two Jobs I Will Advice My Children Against.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.