Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,928 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:41 AM

Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (47297 Views)

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / How Much Do Doctors Earn In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by BravoDe: 3:12am On May 24, 2020
BravoDe:
Abeg what level is pharmacy?
PHARMNNAJI, spiceadole, DrTee1,
bizme
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Period007(m): 7:29am On May 24, 2020
BravoDe:

bizme

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Period007(m): 7:29am On May 24, 2020
BravoDe:

bizme
10 because no level 11

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by BravoDe: 1:50pm On May 24, 2020
Period007:
10 because no level 11
Thanks Boss.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by zedegit: 11:35pm On May 24, 2020
paiz:
Before Someone on level 08 can reach level 12 in Federal Jobs it will take not less than 15yrs.

I think Engineering should be above level 08 for a graduate entry

The distance is too much

Op is making a valid point but doing it wrongly.
Is he saying that entry placements should be based on number of years one completed school?

Is he aware that some of the other courses he would wish to also leave behind in level 8 were studied for 5 years in some universities?

Well looking at what doctors pass through, I don't envy them. Some read medicine for 10 - 12 years with very outrageous fees paid. That's more than engineering courses.

Op you should beg them to review entry levels based on current financial realities not based on entry level for doctors. You lost the case already.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by MrEgghead(m): 10:54am On May 28, 2020
nextdoor84:
In the Nigerian civil service, the top guys are as follows:

DVM (Doctor of Veterinary medicine) = Level 12 (6 years in school)
MBBS (Bachelor of medicine and surgery) = Level 12 (6 years in school)
BDS/Dentistry (Bachelor of dental surgery) = Level 12 (6years in school)

These are the big boys in the civil service.

That doesn't mean MBBS and DVM holders earn the same as they are paid on different salary scale....
Before Doctors started from CONMESS 2 which was equivalent to GL 12 but now it's CONMESS 3...

DVM holders in federal service are paid on CONPSS and their entry level is CONPSS 12 which amounts to #1,227,172 per annum.

But the MBBS/BDS holders at entry level are paid on CONMESS 03 which amounts to #2,642,172, there's a huge difference.

Medical Doctors and Vets do not earn same amount as they are now paid on different structures.
Don't let anyone deceive you, I have all the salary structures of federal public service with me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by nextdoor84(m): 11:38am On May 28, 2020
MrEgghead:

That doesn't mean MBBS and DVM holders earn the same as they are paid on different salary scale....
Before Doctors started from CONMESS 2 which was equivalent to GL 12 but now it's CONMESS 3...

DVM holders in federal service are paid on CONPSS and their entry level is CONPSS 12 which amounts to #1,227,172 per annum.

But the MBBS/BDS holders at entry level are paid on CONMESS 03 which amounts to #2,642,172, there's a huge difference.

Medical Doctors and Vets do not earn same amount as they are now paid on different structures.
Don't let anyone deceive you, I have all the salary structures of federal public service with me.

You are totally ignorant of what you are saying! Please post it here and let's see it. Perhaps your own federal civil service is different from mine. Stop spreading lies oga!!
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by MrEgghead(m): 2:05pm On May 28, 2020
nextdoor84:

You are totally ignorant of what you are saying! Please post it here and let's see it. Perhaps your own federal civil service is different from mine. Stop spreading lies oga!!
All I know is that Vets are not paid on CONMESS, they are paid on CONPSS... That's the difference or you want to tell me they are paid on CONMESS?
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by lusen(m): 3:39pm On May 28, 2020
MrEgghead:

Thanks for the insight.
Pls, what is the annual salary of a Registered Architect at the entry level in the federal public service?
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by MrEgghead(m): 6:16pm On May 28, 2020
lusen:

Thanks for the insight.
Pls, what is the annual salary of a Registered Architect at the entry level in the federal public service?
They start on CONPSS or GL 08 which amounts to #799,421 per annum.
But recently Engineering graduates level was increased to GL 09 which amounts to #929,891 per annum...

I don't know if that of architects was increased also....
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by seunH: 6:48pm On May 28, 2020
MrEgghead:
All I know is that Vets are not paid on CONMESS, they are paid on CONPSS... That's the difference or you want to tell me they are paid on CONMESS?
That's a lie
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by seunH: 6:49pm On May 28, 2020
seunH:
That's a lie
check the last prison recruitment, I have it with me

Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by MrEgghead(m): 7:25pm On May 28, 2020
seunH:
That's a lie
That's the truth... Only Medical and dental doctors are paid on CONMESS.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by seunH: 6:05am On Aug 28, 2020
MrEgghead:
That's the truth... Only Medical and dental doctors are paid on CONMESS.
Have you seen the picture I attached?
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2020
MrEgghead:
That's the truth...
Only Medical and dental doctors are paid on CONMESS.
Good evening boss, it's your friend in Uniben, lost your contact kindly send me a message on WhatsApp 070*******. Please edit before quoting.
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by SwagPower: 8:45am On Jun 02, 2021

You started with doctors, now you are extending to other medical professionals?

FYI I am an engineer. instead of all this whining, find your way to the private sector, to a section where engineers are highly paid.

Will doctors be highly paid in the telecoms sector? Or energy? Or manufacturing?

Find your way to an industry where you are in demand.in federal and state govts, health is considered more important than public works.

Today ebola may be back. Those doctors you are whining about, those underpaid overworked fellows will be all that stands between you and a plague of religious proportions.show some respect.
While you were making this comment Covid was warming up...
Every other profession went on lockdown except of course Doctors and other health professionals...
But people will keep dragging doctors it'll never end...
Dey don see Doctors finish for this country..
Any young doctor should start making plans to leave after Housejob..start saving money for exams PLAB,USMLE,MCCEE from medical school..
Nothing for doctor in Nigeria except hate from other health professionals and other professions..
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by SwagPower: 8:51am On Jun 02, 2021
franchasng:
Nurses do more job in Nigerian hospitals than doctors. I have doctor friends, not one or two...both those practicing in Nigeria, UK, USA, Australia and also Saudi Arabia, and I can tell you that doctors overdo in Nigeria....I do yab my doctor friends and we make fun of it cos they indirectly agree to my points that doctors get so much unmerited worship in Nigeria.

Then I also have nurses as friends, and they do tell me how lazy most Nigerian doctors are and how they abandon most of the jobs for nurses yet nurses don't get paid as high as doctors in Nigeria mostly, you know what I am talking about, don't pretend you don't undecided
Very uneducated and fooliiish comment..
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Oogway: 9:40am On Mar 10, 2022
The reason doctors are paid more or started higher is not solely because “MEDICINE” is almighty. A lot of factors come into play.

1.) Duration of training, most times people see the difference between Engr or Law (a 5yr course) and medicine (6yrs) as one year when in reality it’s a lot more, an average course has 4 months in a semester (in an ideal situation, because even if there’s strike, the medical students also have academic activities suspended) and they usually have 10 semesters in a 5yr program, this at an average of 4 months a semester gives you 40months, in medical school both 400 and 500lv averages 17 months of academic activities each with no semester break in between and final year is 11 months. This gives you 45 months of academic activity which is already more than what an average 5yr course would offer, and this is just year 4 to final year. We still have year 1 to 3 which gives you about 20 months of academic activities. “PhD requires 280 weeks for completion inclusive of BSc and MSc periods while MBBS/MD/BDS/DD requires 264 weeks; PhD requires 20 semesters while MBBS/BDS requires 19.5; overall, PhD requires 10 academic years inclusive of BSc and MSc periods while MBBS/BDS requires 9.75; medical fellowship requires between 576-680 weeks inclusive of MBBS/BDS/DD/MD periods translating to 42.05-52.05 semesters with an average of 21.75 academic years. Compare to PhD that can only boast of 10 academic years.

“The statistics above when translated to course credit units saw that even the MBBS/MD/BDS/DD were well above PhD.

“The PhD is way below the post doctoral medical fellowship conferred by the NMCN”

2.) Pay is determined by the utility you provide, which is subjective. All over the world health is usually seen as one of the biggest assets in a given society, hence the WHO recommendations of 5% GDP to health. Doctors play a pivotal role of improving the health of the society and people usually go to great lengths to get better when ill the lengths cannot be compared to any other sectors.

3.) Cost of Training, we can all agree that the cost of medical school all over the world is usually higher compared to other areas of specialty.

4.) The high degree of skill, precision and dexterity that the job requires is one of the factors that determines the pay required for a job.

5.) Risk, in the healthcare sector the risk a doctor is exposed to is 2nd to known as the doctor is usually first contact, take Covid pandemic and Lassa fever as case study, several doctors have died as a result of doing their jobs, several others have been exposed to HIV, hepatitis b, etc. A job requiring greater risk also requires greater pay. Sometimes doctors are compared to soldiers when it comes to risk, but a soldier is not constantly being exposed to risk only during a period of conflict but each the a doctor goes to work, he meets several patients who constantly pose a health risk to him. Moreover, a lost soldier can be trained and replaced in a year, it takes 7yrs to 17yrs of training to replace a doctor (depending on his skills).

6.) Demand and Supply, the demand for a particular skill and the difficulty to access one with such expertise also accounts for the pay(salary of such services).

All these are some of the factors that accounts for the higher entry levels of Doctors in the government parastatals. A doctor can easily get a job in any country of his choice if he considers the welfare package in such a region attractive, so in a bid to discourage brain drain in Nigeria’s healthcare sector doctors are given attractive offers in Nigeria to hold them down. Though I personally don’t think this offers are good enough, as the financial expectations demanded by the society in Nigeria is higher than those placed on graduate of other specialties. Once your family hears you’re a doctor, the bills never stop coming, even your barber would increase the charge for his services.

In conclusion I think the difference in starting point is justified although I strongly believe doctors should earn more, as the stress that comes into place from working as a doctor in a Government own hospital is a lot and the compensation is not commensurate. There’s gross shortage of man power, lack of essential facilities all these causes the doctor to over stress in an already stress job.

Master Oogway
Re: Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? by Emerie22(m): 6:45am On Jun 28, 2022
EazyMoh:
It generally has to do with how the 2 professional bodies tend to protect the interest for their members.
For example while doctors see themselves as having right to be above every worker (this is mainly in Nigeria) they feel it's their birthright to be ministers of health, commissioners of health in every state and even aspire to lead midwifery council of Nigeria.
They are aggressive in pushing boundaries of their rights many times even going too far.
Every doctor is fixed to a particular hospital for their housemanship and every practical training; all of which come with a good pay. So most of those previlleges were demanded by their union from the government and every other employer, and they got it.

On the other hand NSE and COREN don't make any concrete effort to better welfare of engineers in Nigeria.
Many talk of lack of competence, which is true, but how can you be competent when you are not given any opportunity to have first hand engineering experience right from undergrad days.
They could start making sure there are provisions to train engineers with practical knowledge, let every engineering student have two years mandatory on the job training in his field. Example as a Chemical Engineer you spend 2years at Dangote Cement Plant, you will never be a clueless engineer.
then NSE could be demanding better welfare for engineers in such fields.

Do you work with dangote?
I have been there before
Obajana precisely, production dept

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

David Hundeyin: How Toyosi Ogunseye Sexually Harasses Men, Sabotages Careers / Nigerian Breweries Salary Structure: Salary Of Nigeria Breweries PLC / I Can’t Drive Car Despite Driving Trucks – Ademola Omolade (Female Truck Driver)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.