Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Her Last Breath - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Her Last Breath (8541 Views)

What Is The Colour Of The Air You Breath ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 1:00pm On Jun 21, 2019
Episode One
Khayrah

I had stared at his profile for over a million times…more than that if I had the time to count every single minute I logged into my Facebook account to read his bio over and over again.

Proud Muslim…Art love…Artist…Poet…Skilled Architect…Ambivert…Sapiosexual… the list went on.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed reading his bio…in fact, I never got tired of scanning through the words. Reading through over and over again made me more eager to meet him.

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2019/06/her-last-breath-episode-one.html

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 2:09pm On Jun 21, 2019
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 3:07pm On Jun 21, 2019
Ann2012:
Interesting

Thank you, sis!

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 6:13pm On Jul 01, 2019
Episode Two
Taofeek

“I’m telling you that your children…I mean your children need diapers and you’re telling me you don’t have money. Sh’owa okay bayi?” Funmilayo was yelling over the phone. My hands shivered as the sound of her loud voice thundered in my ears.

I tried to control my moistened eyes from dripping tears as I replied, “But I sent ten thousand just last week.”

“Ehen? So what? I used that shinkili money to buy their food or won’t your children eat? Abi you want them to die? Oh! This is your secret plan abi? That your children die of hunger? I can understand because you don’t want them.” She was saying in a sneering tone, a tone that usually got my blood boiling.

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2019/07/her-last-breath-episode-two.html

2 Likes

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 10:55am On Jul 08, 2019
Episode Three
Khayrah

I could barely close my eyes throughout the night. My mind was clouded with his face, his captivating smile and bright eyes. It was funny how a man would suddenly appear into one’s life and capture every part of the person. Taofeek had captured my heart and I couldn’t deny that.

‘But what would happen when he learns the truth? That I will be dying soon…that I’m like a dry leaf that will wither away?’ I thought.

I stared at my picture, my eyes feeling strained. I could have used my glasses but it was five steps away from the bed and I was too lazy to walk over to the cabinet.

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2019/07/her-last-breath-episode-three.html

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 9:55pm On Jul 08, 2019
So interesting ma'am
Well done

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:25am On Jul 09, 2019
Ann2012:
So interesting ma'am
Well done

Thank you, sis!
Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 1:54pm On Jul 18, 2019
Episode Four

Taofeek
“Who do you want us to see this time around oo?” My father asked with a mockery expression playing on his lips as he sipped from his mug of tea.

We were having breakfast on a Friday morning and I had decided to bring up the topic of visiting Khayrah’s family. I had been very reluctant to tell my father because I knew this would happen…the dreadful moment he reminded me of my bad past and how I couldn’t run away from it.

“My fiancée, Khayrah.” I bit my trembling lower lip as I spread margarine on a slice of bread and fold it into two.

My father spilled tea on his shirt in astonishment.

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2019/07/her-last-breath-episode-four.html

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 7:25pm On Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 10:37pm On Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 1:40pm On Jul 19, 2019
Ann2012:
Thanks for the update

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 1:40pm On Jul 19, 2019
daddio:
Thanks for the update
Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 2:51pm On Jul 19, 2019
mareeam802:

Thank you!

You are welcome, but we should thank you for sharing the interesting story with us.

Keep it up.
Jah bless you

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 11:28am On Jul 26, 2019
Episode Five
Khayrah

I glanced around the room with squinty eyes, noting the usual ‘whiteness’ of the room. The white-painted wall and white curtains that billowed out around me. The putrid smell of iodoform wafting through the room. I was in the hospital…again!

I could spot my family members seated around me. My mother crying with puffy eyes and tightening her grip on my right hand. Fadilah, sitting by her usual corner and staring at me with a morose look. My father, pacing back and forth and trying his possible best to feign confidence… trying to pretend to others that I would be fine when he knew full well that I wouldn’t be.

“She’s awake!” My mother stated with a surge of excitement, smiling in between tears and patting my arm.

I blinked steadily, willing the throbbing in my head to disappear. I tried to remember all that had happened and why I was here…then the picture of Taofeek flashed in my mind.

“Where’s Taofeek?” I asked with an eager tone.

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2019/07/her-last-breath-episode-five.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 8:14pm On Jul 26, 2019
Thanks for the update ma'am

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 8:42pm On Jul 26, 2019
Thanks, may Allah bless you more

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:10am On Jul 29, 2019
Ann2012:
Anytime, sis!
Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:10am On Jul 29, 2019
daddio:
Thanks, may Allah bless you more
Aameen

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 10:32pm On Aug 03, 2019
Her Last Breath (Episode Six)
Taofeek
I was pacing back and forth in my office, wondering what would be the outcome of the meeting and how I would be able to handle the presentation which would be held in the next thirty minutes. I wondered why the so-called presentation had to happen on the same day I would be meeting Khayrah to reveal what she had been hiding from me…what everyone had been hiding from me.

The presentation would hold soon and I needed to report financial statements and tax returns to the management before noon. When Khayrah had asked where we could meet, I had suggested that we meet at Treaties, a restaurant located on the same street where I worked.

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/…/her-last-breath-episode-s…

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 6:06am On Aug 04, 2019
So sad
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 4:40pm On Aug 04, 2019
You're welcome sis ❤
Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 7:46pm On Aug 05, 2019
thanks sister.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:32am On Aug 06, 2019
You're welcome!
Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 10:18am On Aug 19, 2019
Episode Seven & Eight

I slumped on the bed, feeling drained and exhausted after cleaning the room, folding my clothes, and that of Fadilah. I had swept and mopped the floor at the wee hours of the morning when Fadilah was still asleep and the sun hadn’t set in the sky. My mind was a whirl of confusion and I couldn’t sleep throughout the night. My thoughts were transfixed with all that had happened in the restaurant…the way Taofeek’s face had jolted in shock when he heard of the dreadful news, the way he had revealed his secret…that he had three children.

But come to think of it, why would Taofeek have three children? Three children out of the wedlock at the age of what? Twenty-seven? It sounded implausible!

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2019/08/her-last-breath-episode-seven-eight.html

2 Likes

Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 12:23pm On Aug 19, 2019
Thanks, you are doing a great job sister. May God bless you

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 2:43pm On Aug 19, 2019
So sweet, loving the new bond between Khayrah and Taofeek.
Well done ma'am

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 5:43pm On Aug 19, 2019
daddio:
Thanks, you are doing a great job sister. May God bless you

Aameen. Thank you!
Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 5:44pm On Aug 19, 2019
Ann2012:
So sweet, loving the new bond between Khayrah and Taofeek.
Well done ma'am

Yes, really sweet! Thank you, sis smiley

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 5:46pm On Sep 02, 2019
Episode Nine & Ten
Khayrah

“Shouldn’t we invite your mother’s old friends? They would feel offended if they realize that you got married and they weren’t informed.” My father was saying as we all sat in the living room, watching the TV.

Excitement seeped inside of me as I listened to what he had just said. Yes! I would be getting married in less than a few days. Just like that! Taofeek would become a married man…married to the most wonderful woman on earth.

Yes! It seemed unbelievable…not because I’d never dreamt of getting married but because I had never expected it to be so soon…I had never seen myself getting married for real…

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2019/09/her-last-breath-episode-nine-ten.html

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 9:54pm On Sep 24, 2019
PLEASE WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO UPDATE THIS STORY?

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 4:21am On Sep 25, 2019

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 10:27pm On Sep 29, 2019
daddio:
PLEASE WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO UPDATE THIS STORY?

I'm sorry for the late update. I'll post this week.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe's 86th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Stories By Michael Luxguy Augustine / Two Sides Of A Coin...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.