Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? (35435 Views)

Motunrayo Ajia: Covenant University CGPA 5.0, All Time Best Graduating Student / 10 Most Influential Books Of All Time / Plato’s Notion Of Philosopher King, And Nigerian Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Timoodi: 7:41am On Jun 22, 2019
for me, your list is not complete without the father of philosophy that is thales!
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by RexTramadol1: 7:42am On Jun 22, 2019
Drienzia:
Thomas Aquinas, Socrates and Aristotle

Socrates is a fictional figure

But I'll say Plato is the smartest

Aristotle comes close

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 22, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:
jesus christ never existed

Yes he never "existed" cause he never ceased to "exist".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 22, 2019
TundeeednuT:
Reason why quora is better than nairaland. Bring a nice topic for discussion, some born in grate will forming basketmouth with their lame comments.
Those people are just just really lame.

You can hardly see a reasonable thought out conversation or discussion on this site.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by AustinStevens: 7:46am On Jun 22, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:
mention one history book i should read

Sir there are alot of history books out there. You can easily use your Google for that. My point is that the character Jesus existed, lived and commanded alot of followership. Even conspiracy theorists never question the existence but the magnification of his divinity.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by owila4luv(m): 7:46am On Jun 22, 2019
msmon:
Prophet Mohammed... Peace be upon him! I have never seen anyone see more of the future than him. He's very philosophical in sayings and action during his time.

He's also the greatest leader of all time, greater than Alexander the great.
grin
msmon:
Prophet Mohammed... Peace be upon him! I have never seen anyone see more of the future than him. He's very philosophical in sayings and action during his time.

when you mix tramadol and rafnol this is what you get

3 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by SendAbroad: 7:48am On Jun 22, 2019
Nigerian version: Fela Anikulapo.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CosmicPhoenix: 7:50am On Jun 22, 2019
since you cannot mention one history book,keep off my mentions

AustinStevens:

Sir there are alot of history books out there. You can easily use your Google for that. My point is that the character Jesus existed, lived and commanded alot of followership. Even conspiracy theorists never question the existence but the magnification of his divinity.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Ultimus: 7:50am On Jun 22, 2019
Scandinavian02:

Was it not Friedrich Nietzsche that said God is Mad?
God is dead . Don't be mistaken..
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 7:50am On Jun 22, 2019
Respect55:
Socrates isn't up there?
Are u kidding me?
What of Rene Descartes?
Ludwig Wittgenstein ahead of David Hume.
I'm not impressed with ur compilation.
I studied philosophy.

Rene Descartes made a fallacy: “ I think, thereforeI am”
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by SoNature(m): 7:51am On Jun 22, 2019
Stephani3e:
Don't you have family members that wants to get rich?

NOT wants

It's want

A plural noun must go with a plural verb: This is the rule of Concord.

Thank me later wink
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 7:52am On Jun 22, 2019
aadoiza:
Brainwashed African mofos everywhere. So great african philosopher.

Didn’t u see where I mentioned Okafor as the greatest?
Came up with Okafor’s law
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Dinho20(m): 7:53am On Jun 22, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:

WHO ARE YOU?

FAIRYTALE RIGHT!

YOU BETTER QUIT NAIRALAND ¢

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by OmoDavido(m): 7:53am On Jun 22, 2019
What about Copenicus, Pierre Duhem, David Hume, Domecritus, Leonard da vinci, Tyho brahe, Aristacus of Samos..

The earliest and first philosophers were the ancients Greeks, Anaximanes, Anaximander and the third one

But Socrates is considered the greatest philosopher of all time.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by EDIBLESS10: 7:55am On Jun 22, 2019
Albert Einstein
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Harfisco(m): 7:55am On Jun 22, 2019
Carl Linneus name must not be overlooked
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by igwefivestar(m): 7:56am On Jun 22, 2019
fedrick901:

where is socrates op?

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 22, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:

What's your proof that he never existed? If you're sure about this, let me learn something from you.

Except that you reply others but always avoid replying me, whenever i mention your post like this.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 8:00am On Jun 22, 2019
Respect55:

He never had because he believed philosophy should be learned and not studied. One should have all the tenets by heart and not carry books. He taught aptly without books. He is the greatest!

Socrates was not great. Here is his philosophy. Compare it with that of Lord Jesus:

The Cyrenaics were an offshoot of the teachings of Socrates. The group was founded somewhere around 400 B.C. by one of Socrates’s students, a North African man named Aristippus.
They taught that the only real goal in life should be pleasure in the present, that people should do what makes them happiest in the moment instead of planning for a future that, in the end, is always unknowable and uncertain. Physical pleasures were of the utmost importance, and all measures should be taken to maximize the amount of pleasure a person takes in the moment. The view was a very self-centered one, stating that a person’s own pleasure should take priority over the pleasure and overall goodness of the community, city, or populace.There is a blatant disregard for not only the well-being of others in their philosophy but also for traditions and social norms. Aristippus taught that there was nothing inherently wrong with taboos like incest, it was only social convention that made it wrong. The true meaning of life is to ignore the restraints of social convention and do what is most pleasurable to you.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by hopefulLandlord: 8:00am On Jun 22, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Whoever made him up was not only a genius, he must have had special powers to have made people willing to die for something he made up
people won't die for what they know to be "a lie" but history is littered with several instances of people suffering and/or dying for beliefs which turned out to be false, deceptive, poorly understood etc

examples are the jihadists but maybe that's a low hanging fruit or is overused so let's use other examples of people dying for what we now know to be a lie

German soldiers suffered and died during World War 2 because of the belief that they were the "master race" and its right to conquer other (inferior race) nations for more lands

39 members of heavensgate committed suicide thinking a comet would take them to their holy bliss in 1997

76 humans died in Texas cuz they believed that David Koresh was a true prophet of god

over 900 people killed themselves because they believed Jim Jones

The Japanese committed suicide rather than be captured cuz they believed they'll be tortured heavily by the Americans

amongst many other instances of people dying for what we know are lies, people kill themselves everyday for what they "know its true" even though its totally not true
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by idid: 8:00am On Jun 22, 2019
It's a shame that on an African site people are talking about Socrates being the greatest philosopher. It's true, Scorates, Immanuel Kant and the likes were great philosophers.

But it is not smart at all and foolish if you do not know your own Orunmila Baba Agbon Miregun. No book was written by him or his followers, hence, allof his work remains to be appreciated.

Orunmila was the father of Ifa corpus, which is the basis of computer science and mathematics today. All the great wisdom and knowledge in Yoruba today was birthed by Orunmila and Ifa till today remains enduring.

Part of the problem is that people with western education do not learn and understand it and Ifa has been hijacked solely by religious believers.

Wake up you all and go learn..

2 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Sholaco: 8:03am On Jun 22, 2019
Albert einstein

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by HeGeMon(m): 8:05am On Jun 22, 2019
Plato, Socrates, tchudydes, nicolo machiavelli, ibn khaldun
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 22, 2019
msmon:

You can't call the prophet a philosopher since the Quran is from the angel. You can only call the prophet a philosopher if you will agree he wrote the Quran himself and not from the angel.

2 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Sholaco: 8:07am On Jun 22, 2019
idid:
It's a shame that on an African site people are talking about Socrates being the greatest philosopher. It's true, Scorates, Immanuel Kant and the likes were great philosophers.

But it is not smart at all and foolish if you do not know your own Orunmila Baba Agbon Miregun. No book was written by him or his followers, hence, allof his work remains to be appreciated.

Orunmila was the father of Ifa corpus, which is the basis of computer science and mathematics today. All the great wisdom and knowledge in Yoruba today was birthed by Orunmila and Ifa till today remains enduring.

Part of the problem is that people with western education do not learn and understand it and Ifa has been hijacked solely by religious believers.

Wake up you all and go learn..
So are u saying this orunmila invented computer? This your brother orunmila is the same as pythagoras theorem

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by penocrat1(m): 8:07am On Jun 22, 2019
The Greatest Philosopher is FELA.'Gala and LA case should be included in a First Aid Box'
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Kenturkey048(m): 8:08am On Jun 22, 2019
how will you compare great philosophers without Socrates on this list...¿?
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Kenturkey048(m): 8:08am On Jun 22, 2019
how will you compare great philosophers without Socrates on the list...¿?
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by idid: 8:08am On Jun 22, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Rene Descartes made a fallacy: “ I think, thereforeI am”

You have to go back to school. Philosophy is not Greek, study Descartes and Socrates as much as you want. You understanding of the World will continue to be a misconception. You go study the pholosophy of Orunmila and Ifa Corpus and you will understand that Greece is not where knowledge started and finished.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by hopefulLandlord: 8:08am On Jun 22, 2019
Gratefulheart01:

What's your proof that he never existed? If you're sure about this, let me learn something from you.

Except that you reply others but always avoid replying, whenever i mention your post like this.
https://www.nairaland.com/3206708/reasons-scholars-know-jesus-christ
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Sholaco: 8:09am On Jun 22, 2019
Gratefulheart01:

You can't call the prophet a philosopher since the Quran is from the angel. You can only call the prophet a philosopher if you will agree he wrote the Quran himself and not from the angel.
a prophet is different from philosophers
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by mexdon(m): 8:09am On Jun 22, 2019
Socrates because the Oracle of dulphin proclaimed him the wises man in Athen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

2013 TOTAL E & P Nigeria National Merit SCHOLARSHIP / When You Get Corrected Copy Of Your Project From Your Supervisor / Taraba State University Bans Miniskirts, Baggy Jeans, Tattoos, Eye Lashes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.