Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,370 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? (35430 Views)

Motunrayo Ajia: Covenant University CGPA 5.0, All Time Best Graduating Student / 10 Most Influential Books Of All Time / Plato’s Notion Of Philosopher King, And Nigerian Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Austineva(m): 9:46am On Jun 22, 2019
Socrates d great
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by y3mi(m): 9:57am On Jun 22, 2019
NAMES OF MEMBERS ON THIS THREAD WHOSE ANSWERS ONLY TRUE SONS & DAUGHTERS OF AFRICA CAN GIVE

WiLdFLame
ORUNMILA IS A NOT JUST A GREAT PHILOSOPHER, IN HUMAN FORM HE IS THE GREATEST, ORUNMILLA is the only deity who witnessed it when allllllha/yahweh Eledumare/Chineke/Abasi/Uban'giji/Oghene (GOD) was bringing forth creation. ORUNMILLA is the force of nature that preside over all thing knowledge and wisdom thus The GOD of WISDOM and the custodian of the ancient IFA CORPUS (repository of all esoteric knowledge here and beyond this world).
oalandAgents2
Our great great grandfathers were more philosophical than all those European and Chinese figure our enslaved brothers and sisters have been so educated to mention so far.
QuietHammer
Can you blame them, well yes, I think we can, Why can't they think ?
PS: are you related to InvertedHammer ?
gwafaeziokwu
Ma niqqa
Sheunma
Orunmilla for sure, Rene Descartes; an honorable mention and whom I even feel more than those overrated Greek plagiarists and unreal prophet of doom from the semitic world.
lordskid
Ofcourse he is so right typing Orunmila, unlike them children of slaves here who continue to prove there's nothing their ancestors have that is teachable to the world, only to consume what they are fed, when in fact we got the real deal here, why are Europeans and Americans of today are eager to die for IFA studies (AFA in Igbo), learning all the countless philosophies and esoteric powers encoded in it. Traveling here with so much eager to to learn and acquire as many as possible, no matter how long it takes.
Flier
Do you have any idea the amount of scientific knowledge in the African believe system, tho not empirical but effective, science tells us about a fundamental force called gravity, measured and calibrated it based on an agreed upon value and constant, like they did all other spatial, vector, scalar and so called fundamental qualities but can modern come up with an effective and perfect means to defy defy gravity without any external device or machinery ? You alone can suspend an object in thing air with the right incantation, study the incantation deeply by breaking it down and you would realized how words are programmed to manipulate/control/command that same force scientists decide to call gravity, which is just a meager part of the real thing, where is the source of the incantation, Orunmilla as passed down through it disciples from precient times unknown to dated history everyone is used to.
Sunky200
Wa gba yi!!! Even if they don't know Orunmilla as bastardized by that miseducating nollywood and demonized by pro-Christian/Islam Nigeria, they could at least mention names of classical musicians from their respective tribes who sing music with deep philosophies and proverbs (popular or not), it's better than all those thieves they keep mentioning
Tetehjewels
Kudos to you brethren for typing in Pete Edochie! You are not a slave.
dotunbidemi
Preach to them, they all stole from Africa...
iyke926
To add to Bob Marley is Fela Kuti, Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka which they've all failed to mention, what do you expect from people who behave and think like only a slave would ?
FRESHG
Ori e wa n be. ORUNMILLA surpasses all prophets, philosophers, wizard, scientists, mage, genius that would ever come to exist, his esoteric teachings alone is enough to solve various problem of the world, not to talk of all the divine powers he has access to.
mcayomind
You are duly sighted! human.
7lives Fuqman
Thank you both for mentioning that, informing them slaves who love licking the the toes of the idol figures slammed on them by their Euro-arab slave masters.

NAMES OF MEMBERS ON THIS THREAD WHOSE ANSWERS ONLY SLAVES CAN GIVE

SLAVES ACCORDING TO THEIR SERIAL NUMBER ON THIS THREAD
1. rentAcock (slave)
2. judgementyard (slave)
3. fedrick901 (slave)
4. judgementyard (slave)
5. Amuocha (slave)
6. msmon (slave)
7. starbuck (slave)
8. Drienzia (slave)
9. arantess (slave)
10. Muhylonaire (slave)
11. sammyj (slave)
12. wyqay (slave)
13. spacks (slave)
14. SEEDORF441 (slave)
15. Hedonisst (slave)
16. whitebeard (slave)
17. VAPatrick (slave)
18. olatex25 (slave)
19. Enosa1 (slave)
20. leyeakanji (slave)
21. Odunharry (slave)
22. dermmy (slave)
23. Jokerman (slave)
24. SouthSouth1914 (slave)
25. Ultimus (slave)
26. Dinirojones (slave)
27. aod1 (slave)
28. Garrieveryday (slave)
29. AreaFada2 (slave) where did all those Greco-roman philosophers you mentioned including those who taught them plagiarize there knowledge from ?
30. Scandinavian02 (slave) fool so it's until someone publishes their philosophy can he become a philosopher, I bet if you know what philosophy means in your dialect ?
31. rexel99 (slave)
32. jaxxy (slave how far na ?)
33. lastempero (slave)
34. Carlyboi (slave)
35. CanadaOrBust (slave)
36. Uzomavictor (slave)
37. fieryy (slave)
38. Justinba1997 (slave)
39. Austineva (slave)
40. aaronson (SSSSlave)
41. KamalMarx (slave)
42. omoadeleye (slave)

*more slave names to be added to the list
*As their parents who can't really be blamed has always worship, extol and acknowledge the figures of their European and Arab slave masters so does the list below shows the handles of Nairaland members on this thread who reflect what they've been taught by their folks which further confirms as proof that majority of Africans are incapable of liberating their minds from mental slavery as the answers they have provided on this topic are the types only fake sons & daughters of Africa whose thought-process have been enslaved by all thing foreign can give (even if there were taught in western/Arabic school or not.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by hopefulLandlord: 10:00am On Jun 22, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

So r u saying that Mohammed also never existed?

you're saying islam must true because people have been dying for it for almost 2000 years now

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Justinba1997(m): 10:02am On Jun 22, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:
jesus christ never existed

let Me Come And Wenting B4 Some Useless,ingrient Ppl Will Spoil My Mavelous Day I Rebuke Dem In Jesus Name.Japa
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 22, 2019
Muhylonaire:
Plato I must say!!

Where is Socrates on the list? You should include him.
Adding philosophers of the medieval age is not a bad idea too. Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, Wax Weber and my oga (KARL MARX).

I was disappointed that OP didn't mention Karl Marx, but at least Kant got mentioned
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Uzomavictor(m): 10:06am On Jun 22, 2019
Socrates
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 22, 2019
y3mi:
ANSWER ONLY FAKE-ARSE SONS & DAUGHTER OF AFRICA WHOSE MIND HAVE BEEN ENSLAVED AND PARENTS BRAINWASHED TO ALWAYS WORSHIP, EXTOL AND ACKNOWLEDGE THE BEINGS OF THEIR EUROPEAN AND ARAB SLAVE MASTERS
rentAcock judgementyard fedrick901

ANSWERS ONLY A TRUE SON & DAUGHTER OF AFRICA CAN GIVE
WiLdFLame
ORUNMILA IS A NOT JUST A GREAT PHILOSOPHER, IN HUMAN FORM HE IS THE GREATEST, ORUNMILLA is the only deity who witnessed it when allllllha/yahweh Eledumare/Chineke/Abasi/Uban'giji/Oghene (GOD) was bringing forth creation. ORUNMILLA is the force of nature that preside over all thing knowledge and wisdom thus The GOD of WISDOM and the cutodian of the ancient IFA CORPUS (repository of all esoteric knowledge here and beyond this world).
I Know
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by KENFERDYOORI(m): 10:09am On Jun 22, 2019
The human mind!
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by jameslojohn(m): 10:14am On Jun 22, 2019
Aristotle
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by 7lives: 10:16am On Jun 22, 2019
Fuqman:
The Europeans or Greeks can go to hell. Everything they knew was copied from ancient Egyptians. They're not the father of this or the first in that. The great Imhoptep, whom Greeks equated with the demi-god of healing Asclepius and was even worshipped. His profound knowledge of impact was so great, it could not measured with anyone.

However, they're other great ancient Egyptians philosophers named.. Ptahhotep, and Amenhotep. 

Are you an Egyptologist?.
I heard that the Ancient Egyptians are black people, that this is why the money of the pharaohs images, on the spynxes were being destroyed.
This is being done to hide the true identity of the Pharaohs, how true is this?.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 22, 2019
thales
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by bukatyne(f): 10:29am On Jun 22, 2019
Stephani3e:
Don't you have family members that wants to get rich?

All his family members are rich. grin
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by godofuck231: 10:33am On Jun 22, 2019
Amuocha:
Buhari
am heart broken now, seriously?
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by godofuck231: 10:34am On Jun 22, 2019
msmon:
Prophet Mohammed... Peace be upon him! I have never seen anyone see more of the future than him. He's very philosophical in sayings and action during his time.

He's also the greatest leader of all time, greater than Alexander the great.
a thief? desert robber? murderer and child F#cker? damn!

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by godofuck231: 10:37am On Jun 22, 2019
fela, father of modern Nigerian music, politics and musical philosophy
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 10:38am On Jun 22, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

you're saying islam must true because people have been dying for it for almost 2000 years now

No. The fellow said Jesus never existed.
Likewise, if u r saying Mohammed never existed, whoever invented Mohammed must ba a genius with special powers
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Tzmilez: 10:55am On Jun 22, 2019
All Informations About NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship 2019

The commission is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for the NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship 2019:

Qualified applicants with relevant Bachelor’s/Master’s Degrees from recognized Universities in the following professional disciplines can benefit from the scheme:

Engineering
Law
Sciences
Geosciences
Environmental Sciences
Management sciences
ICT
Education
Humanities

Apply Here for the NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship 2019

For More Scholarships to study abroad click here
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 11:01am On Jun 22, 2019
Bahddo:
Why is Socrates not on your list?

The greatest is one of the trio - Socrates, Plato, Aristotle.

Lie. The answer is Okafor.
None of them could have come up with Okafor’s law
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by FRESHG(m): 11:11am On Jun 22, 2019
Scandinavian02:

Hume's teachers were scared of coming to class because of his uncommon intellect. He challenged their reasoning and left them with so much to think about.

Another philosopher with uncommon intelligence was John Locke who was in a class of his own.
THEN YOU HAVE NOT READ CONJECTURES AND REFUTATIONS BY SIR KARL POPPER
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 11:14am On Jun 22, 2019
idid:
Honestly, we have to start demarcating knowledge and only then can we start appreciating philosophy. I would have loved to hear something like: The Greatest Western Philosopher.. it

Can u tell us one thought Orimila atculated?
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by trapQ: 11:19am On Jun 22, 2019
Shut up your stupid fvcking mouth. Did anyone stop you from including your atheist philosophers? Mumu.
QuietHammer:

Here they are again. Over religious cvnt!
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by kollinz1234(m): 11:21am On Jun 22, 2019
klins4213:
I
of all moniker, why turn mine around? Do u follow me? If no kindly change.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 11:22am On Jun 22, 2019
killsmith:
The Bible is allegorical.

Christ is not a person.

Christ is an embodiment of the ideal human....

Christ is a state of mind.

Christians don't know this because they only accept what comes out of the mouth of a pastor.

Whoever invented Christ must be a genius of highest order and also a greatest philosopher. He also must have some deity-like powers to have people willing to die for something he invented for over 2000 years now

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by mcayomind: 11:26am On Jun 22, 2019
orunmila baba agbonmiregun
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by FRESHG(m): 11:30am On Jun 22, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Rene Descartes made a fallacy: “ I think, thereforeI am”
HE WAS ACTUALLY TRYING TO REPLY THE MITIGATED SKEPTICS KNOWN AS SOPHISTS, WHO WERE OF THE VIEW THA “NOTHING CAN BE KNOWN”. ST AUGSTINE OF HIPPO, A MEDIEVAL AGE PHILOSOPHER WAS AMONG THE PHILOSOPHERS THAT COUNTERED THE SOPHISTS WITH HIS “SI FALLO ERGO SUM DICTUM”. DESCARTES WAS TRYING TO LAY A VERY SOLID FOUNDATION WHERE SCIENCE WOULD THRIVE WITH HIS DICTUM AT THE END OF 18th CENTURY.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by FRESHG(m): 11:43am On Jun 22, 2019
idid:
Honestly, we have to start demarcating knowledge and only then can we start appreciating philosophy. I would have loved to hear something like: The Greatest Western Philosopher.. it is only in that sense that you students of Western Philosophy can talk about Descartes, Socrates and their likes...

If we are to talk about philosophy as a subject in ots philosophical sense. Not western oriented knowledge. I would not even compare Socrates with Orunmila. Orunmila was far more sophiticated... he would have sat Plato and Socrates down and thought them a lot.. his understanding cut across history, medicine, being, and whatnot.

Ifa's 16 binary is still out there today and has informed many western thinking and sciences including pholosophy. Our problem is that when people hear Ifa, they runaway because Christianity and Islam does not allow them. But yet, Achimedes, Socrates, Plato and all of them were not Christians nor Muslims.

Don't tell me you studied philosophy.. tell me you studied Western philosophy or Greek philosophy.
COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN PLATOS THEORY OF FORM OR THE ALLEGORY OF THE CAVE IF YOU BELIEVE THAT HES NOT RELIGIOUS.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Carlyboi(m): 11:43am On Jun 22, 2019
These are my most influential for different reasons Socrates,Plato,Pythagoras,Karl Marx,Rene Descartes,John Locke,Immanuel Kant cos of his categorical imperative!frederich Nietszche,cos he was different his teachings were so abstract yet they were very deep and intelligent.Thomas Hobbes To especially for socio-political philosophy just like Karl Marx,Hobbes thoughts largely influenced and shaped the British system of government law and politics and he was the one with the theory of “state of nature”which I think is very brilliant....Socrates was a Martyr simply cos of his thoughts teachings and belief system and he was a very wise and deep thinker....Karl Marx influence is very huge it’s socio-political and economic in nature if we’re talking bout modern philosophers no one is as great as Marx he is the founder of communism and the greatest critique of capitalism his ideas influenced the Russian revolution led by Lenin who was a student of Hegel and Karl Marx.Marx ideas and influence can be seen in all communist countries today from Russia to China,to Cuba to North Korea Vietnam and Germany at Some point he also influenced the great Che Guevara a lot too.Oriental and Arabian philosophers Buddha,Confucius and Lao Tzu in that order Lao Tzu theory about the Art of War was largely used in the Military and in the business world also the Avicenna and Averrous were influential too they made contributions in the field of mathematics and science.....As for Africa asides ancient Egyptians whose identities and teachings are shrouded in mystery save Imhotep and a few others not much is known of them so I’m gonna go with IFa alongside Imhotep and funny most of the things I learnt bout the ifa was from the epic or traditional Yoruba movies I think the Yoruba-Nigerian thinkers didn’t do enough to propagate the teachings and thoughts of ifa,it’s corpus since this are very real deep and existential thoughts there is nothing wrong if it’s imbued and ingrained or embedded in the teaching of Yoruba language in schools and made part of its Curriculum.So we shouldn’t blame anyone who doesn’t recognize ifa as a great body of thought cause we the owners and the believers in the system haven’t done enough to take it to the world.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Mikenuelmike: 11:48am On Jun 22, 2019
JESUS is the greatest. Check the Bible
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by FRESHG(m): 12:01pm On Jun 22, 2019
killsmith:
Plato.... Where Plato reached in the mental realm, nobody don reach am

Even christianity is an extract of neoplatonism....

Plato is God....

But kant's critique of pure reason is one hell of a book. A book he wrote for almost 30 years. Kant dissected human reasoning to the smallest bit. Unfortunately, not many people can read the book because of its prerequisites. The book is too sophisticated biko.
FOR ME O, KANT KARL MARX AND SIR RAIMUND KARL POPPER ARE THE BEST PHILOSOPHERS OF ALL TIME. ANY STUDENT OF PHILOSOPHY WOULD TELL YOU THAT KANTS CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON NOR BE BEANS. POPPER CAME WITH HIS THEORY OF FALSIFICATION. BASED ON THIS, HE SEES ALL LAWS IN SCIENCE AS A MERE CONJECTURES WHICH CAN BE SUBJECT TO REFUTATION. ACCORDING TO POPPER, ANYTIME A SCIENTIST IS AT WORK, HE IS EITHER FALSIFYING OR CORROBORATING A THEORY, THEREFORE HE DISAGREED WITH THE POSITIVIST ( VIENNA CIRCLES) THAT METAPHYSICAL PROPOSITIONS ARE NONSENSICAL AND MEANINGLESS (DAVID HUMES).

POPPER IS MY GREATEST OF ALL TIME
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by decatalyst(m): 12:03pm On Jun 22, 2019
Stephani3e:
Don't you have family members that wants to get rich?

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 22, 2019
It's a shame. No one mentioned Bob Marley

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by dotunbidemi: 12:11pm On Jun 22, 2019
OP, you mentioned David Humes ahead of John Locke, Kant ahead of Rene Descartes, Aristotle that looted Egyptian library ahead of Socrates. No Karl Marx a guy whose idea prompted revolution in Europe and still inspire people till today. Bro may God have Mercy on your soul.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

When You Get Corrected Copy Of Your Project From Your Supervisor / Taraba State University Bans Miniskirts, Baggy Jeans, Tattoos, Eye Lashes / High Rate Of 200 And Above In This Year's Jamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.