Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,837 members, 7,802,680 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? (35405 Views)

Motunrayo Ajia: Covenant University CGPA 5.0, All Time Best Graduating Student / 10 Most Influential Books Of All Time / Plato’s Notion Of Philosopher King, And Nigerian Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Respect55(m): 9:24pm On Jun 22, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Rene Descartes made a fallacy: “ I think, thereforeI am”
His premises are valid and as such the conclusion can't be said to be fallacious else u fall guilty of contradiction
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by hopefulLandlord: 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

One question for you: mention one physical tangible thing Orunmilla invented

Philosophy is not in the business if making tangible things which is why many think philosophy is useless as its simply wordgames

2 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by eWyse: 10:54pm On Jun 22, 2019
Interesting thread cool
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by alexola20(m): 12:17am On Jun 23, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by TAO11(f): 4:35am On Jun 23, 2019
Rossikk:
There is no historical evidence of a 'Jesus Christ'. ZERO. It is a myth.

Lol; There is actually historical proof that Jesus Christ existed.

Although I understand that you should have substantiated your claim (that Jesus Christ never existed) with evidence, proof, or reason; I will, nevertheless, overlook that and proceed to showing that Jesus Christ as a matter of fact did indeed exist as a historical reality.

There exists both FIRST CENTURY C.E. SECULAR TEXTUAL attestation as well TWENTY FIRST CENTURY C.E. ARCHAEOLOGICAL evidence which dismisses the skeptical view that Jesus Christ never existed.

The skeptical view that Jesus Christ never existed evaporates and disappears in the face of historical attestion such as those found in the writings of the first century C.E. secular Romano-Jewish historian named Josephus (c. 37 C.E. -- 100 C.E.).

Josephus writing in the first century C.E. notes in one of many places that:

There arose "a certain Jesus, a wizard of a man, if indeed he may be called a man ... whom his disciples call a son of God"

Josephus continues to say that:

"Pilate had sentenced him ... And even now the race of those who are called 'Messaianisits' after him is not extinct."

There can be no doubt, from the foregoing descriptions, that Josephus was talking about the same Jesus Christ which we both have in mind at the moment.

(NB: The word "Christ" is the Anglicized form of the Greek "Christós" which itself is translated from the Hebrew "Masíah" which in Anglicized form is rendered "Messaih" )

For the twenty first century archaeological evidence which I mentioned, please refer to the Ancient Origins article at the link below:

https://www.ancient-origins.net/artifacts-other-artifacts/ossuary-james-0012181

To summarize the discourse of the article here will be too painstaking for me at the moment, hence the reason I have referred you to the article itself:

Thanks and regards!

NB: Just as you, I am not a fan of Christianity. But this is a matter of history.

Cc: Maariv
CosmicPhoenix

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by freeDR(m): 7:21am On Jun 23, 2019
Rossikk:
Colonised dullard, the dude said there would be nothing like education without Socrates, and you support that? How ignorant can you be? Who taught Socrates? Who taught Aristotle? Who taught Thale? Where did they learn "philosophy"? Certainly not in Greece which frowned on the "foreign mysteries" they were propagating, and jailed, exiled, and executed many of them. They travelled to, and learnt from black African masters in Egypt. And admitted so themselves. It's not even a secret. Go on Google and research. It's free.
You're just a poorly bred arrogant idiot. Should you insult when arguing? Your parents did a poor job.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Kenturkey048(m): 11:51am On Jun 23, 2019
Chubhie:

That's the baseline. Same animal instincts like all other primate and specie in the animal kingdom. However, if we claim to be rational and of higher animal grade, We ought to raise above that which takes a lot of inner and outer hard work.

As a way of example, Tinubu and co fought Abacha to a standstill to enthrone democracy in Nigeria. Today, He has the lagos state treasury in his pockets and dictates who should be made the Governor.Not only that, he and co championed to enthrone the legislature with yes men. Has he not become an Abacha with a democrat tag?

Will Nnamdi Kanu become a monster once Biafra is achieved? Today, the Deji's Reno's Omojuwa's are championing a new Nigerian do they have what it takes to not become another monster?
Good..this is when somebody is saying what he knows,,not actually what he heard people saying...I duff my heart for you brother...youbno eat your school fees...
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Chubhie: 1:07pm On Jun 23, 2019
Kenturkey048:
Good..this is when somebody is saying what he knows,,not actually what he heard people saying...I duff my heart for you brother...youbno eat your school fees...
grin grin grin
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by aod1(m): 9:01pm On Jun 23, 2019
Well-done Mr slave trader! Recognition of people who have broaden the scope of thought not based on ethnicity but on merit doesn't make one a slave or having slave mentality. I'm in no way undermining the African scholars but me not mentioning them doesn't make me a slave. I named someone whose work I admire not only in philosophy but in mathematics. So bros give yourself brain
y3mi:
NAMES OF MEMBERS ON THIS THREAD WHOSE ANSWERS ONLY TRUE SONS & DAUGHTERS OF AFRICA CAN GIVE

WiLdFLame
ORUNMILA IS A NOT JUST A GREAT PHILOSOPHER, IN HUMAN FORM HE IS THE GREATEST, ORUNMILLA is the only deity who witnessed it when allllllha/yahweh Eledumare/Chineke/Abasi/Uban'giji/Oghene (GOD) was bringing forth creation. ORUNMILLA is the force of nature that preside over all thing knowledge and wisdom thus The GOD of WISDOM and the custodian of the ancient IFA CORPUS (repository of all esoteric knowledge here and beyond this world).
oalandAgents2
Our great great grandfathers were more philosophical than all those European and Chinese figure our enslaved brothers and sisters have been so educated to mention so far.
QuietHammer
Can you blame them, well yes, I think we can, Why can't they think ?
PS: are you related to InvertedHammer ?
gwafaeziokwu
Ma niqqa
Sheunma
Orunmilla for sure, Rene Descartes; an honorable mention and whom I even feel more than those overrated Greek plagiarists and unreal prophet of doom from the semitic world.
lordskid
Ofcourse he is so right typing Orunmila, unlike them children of slaves here who continue to prove there's nothing their ancestors have that is teachable to the world, only to consume what they are fed, when in fact we got the real deal here, why are Europeans and Americans of today are eager to die for IFA studies (AFA in Igbo), learning all the countless philosophies and esoteric powers encoded in it. Traveling here with so much eager to to learn and acquire as many as possible, no matter how long it takes.
Flier
Do you have any idea the amount of scientific knowledge in the African believe system, tho not empirical but effective, science tells us about a fundamental force called gravity, measured and calibrated it based on an agreed upon value and constant, like they did all other spatial, vector, scalar and so called fundamental qualities but can modern come up with an effective and perfect means to defy defy gravity without any external device or machinery ? You alone can suspend an object in thing air with the right incantation, study the incantation deeply by breaking it down and you would realized how words are programmed to manipulate/control/command that same force scientists decide to call gravity, which is just a meager part of the real thing, where is the source of the incantation, Orunmilla as passed down through it disciples from precient times unknown to dated history everyone is used to.
Sunky200
Wa gba yi!!! Even if they don't know Orunmilla as bastardized by that miseducating nollywood and demonized by pro-Christian/Islam Nigeria, they could at least mention names of classical musicians from their respective tribes who sing music with deep philosophies and proverbs (popular or not), it's better than all those thieves they keep mentioning
Tetehjewels
Kudos to you brethren for typing in Pete Edochie! You are not a slave.
dotunbidemi
Preach to them, they all stole from Africa...
iyke926
To add to Bob Marley is Fela Kuti, Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka which they've all failed to mention, what do you expect from people who behave and think like only a slave would ?
FRESHG
Ori e wa n be. ORUNMILLA surpasses all prophets, philosophers, wizard, scientists, mage, genius that would ever come to exist, his esoteric teachings alone is enough to solve various problem of the world, not to talk of all the divine powers he has access to.
mcayomind
You are duly sighted! human.
7lives Fuqman
Thank you both for mentioning that, informing them slaves who love licking the the toes of the idol figures slammed on them by their Euro-arab slave masters.

NAMES OF MEMBERS ON THIS THREAD WHOSE ANSWERS ONLY SLAVES CAN GIVE

SLAVES ACCORDING TO THEIR SERIAL NUMBER ON THIS THREAD
1. rentAcock (slave)
2. judgementyard (slave)
3. fedrick901 (slave)
4. judgementyard (slave)
5. Amuocha (slave)
6. msmon (slave)
7. starbuck (slave)
8. Drienzia (slave)
9. arantess (slave)
10. Muhylonaire (slave)
11. sammyj (slave)
12. wyqay (slave)
13. spacks (slave)
14. SEEDORF441 (slave)
15. Hedonisst (slave)
16. whitebeard (slave)
17. VAPatrick (slave)
18. olatex25 (slave)
19. Enosa1 (slave)
20. leyeakanji (slave)
21. Odunharry (slave)
22. dermmy (slave)
23. Jokerman (slave)
24. SouthSouth1914 (slave)
25. Ultimus (slave)
26. Dinirojones (slave)
27. aod1 (slave)
28. Garrieveryday (slave)
29. AreaFada2 (slave) where did all those Greco-roman philosophers you mentioned including those who taught them plagiarize there knowledge from ?
30. Scandinavian02 (slave) fool so it's until someone publishes their philosophy can he become a philosopher, I bet if you know what philosophy means in your dialect ?
31. rexel99 (slave)
32. jaxxy (slave how far na ?)
33. lastempero (slave)
34. Carlyboi (slave)
35. CanadaOrBust (slave)
36. Uzomavictor (slave)
37. fieryy (slave)
38. Justinba1997 (slave)
39. Austineva (slave)
40. aaronson (SSSSlave)
41. KamalMarx (slave)
42. omoadeleye (slave)

*more slave names to be added to the list
*As their parents who can't really be blamed has always worship, extol and acknowledge the figures of their European and Arab slave masters so does the list below shows the handles of Nairaland members on this thread who reflect what they've been taught by their folks which further confirms as proof that majority of Africans are incapable of liberating their minds from mental slavery as the answers they have provided on this topic are the types only fake sons & daughters of Africa whose thought-process have been enslaved by all thing foreign can give (even if there were taught in western/Arabic school or not.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 1:36am On Jun 24, 2019
Respect55:

His premises are valid and as such the conclusion can't be said to be fallacious else u fall guilty of contradiction

Well, just because u think does not prove u are
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 2:12am On Jun 24, 2019
Imhotep
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Respect55(m): 9:49am On Jun 24, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Well, just because u think does not prove u are
Negate it constructively
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 2:06pm On Jun 24, 2019
Rossikk:
There is no historical evidence of a 'Jesus Christ'. ZERO. It is a myth.

Totally agree with you here

Jesus is a figment of the believers imagination that the Roman catholic church invented to use as a silent weapon of mass destruction.

Furthermore, for sake of concession, lets assume the persona of such a ficticious character bearing the same name, then, after correcting the plagiarization from the bible's account of such character', there would be not much left of the stories other than an an account of:

An itinerate preacher who had an uneventful birth, who, at the age of about 35 gathered a small group of followers and toured a place called Galilee; spread a type of philosophy no different to that of Hillel the Elder; was convicted of aggravated assault in one of the temples, and was routinely executed for treason by the occupying Roman army.

THE END

The ficticious character known to us as Jesus is really stolen from more older Iconic figures. e.g Ela, Ra, Apis, Horus, Merlin, Krishna, Buddha, Llew Llaw, Julius Ceasar, Pharaoh Amenophis the third, Melchizedek, Plato, Lao-Kium, Apollonius of Tyana e.t.c

According to these simple truths, its easy to conclude that the character called Jesus may really never have existed at all.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 4:39am On Jun 25, 2019
Respect55:

Negate it constructively

Meaning? My statement is clear. He was wrong.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Respect55(m): 10:02am On Jun 25, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Meaning? My statement is clear. He was wrong.
It's obvious u aren't a philosopher
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by sageb: 2:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
Karl Marx, he lucidly stated " philosophers have interpreted the world in various ways, the point is to change it."
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by legitnow: 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2019
fieryy:

I was disappointed that OP didn't mention Karl Marx, but at least Kant got mentioned

We are more Free Market orientated and capitalist.

Never Marxist or Communist

u Know, the likes of Adam Smith, John Stuart Mill and David Ricardo
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Niyi74(m): 11:34am On Jun 26, 2019
For those seriously and honestly in doubt about the actual existence of our Lord Jesus, examine objectively the book titled "The Quest of the Historical Jesus" by Albert Schweitzer. Read, digest and reflect on it honestly. Jesus exists and walked the earth. Surely, he learnt from the existing philosophies and spiritual truths of his time. He learnt His father's craft, studied hard and crossfertilised ideas with the wise ones in the temple. When His hour came, He manifested the glory of the Father that sent him through revelation of eternal truths that shook the world to its foundations, angered the principalities and powers of his time and even his own people who conspired with the Romans to assassinate Him.

What is touted as Christianity today is a fraud. The fraud started with the cover-up of Christ's murder by the Romans (faced with guilt when the murder of Christ couldn't kill his revolutionary message) that His death was pre-ordained and they were just a tool. No. Jesus did not die FOR our sins. He died BECAUSE of our sins. He was killed because the world hate the truth. He was the light that darkness comprehended not. His light exposed the unclothedness of the Romans and Hypocrisy of the Religious leaders of His time. He was killed to silence His message. His death failed to achieve that as His disciples continued to grow rapidly even in the face of extreme persecution.

Emperor Constantine's edict of religious freedom paved way for the Roman Empire to adopt Christianity as State Religion. But just like Principalities never relinquish power, the official Christianity adopted by the Roman State was a concoctment in perpetuation of their grip on power. The eternal truths of our Lord Jesus were turned on their head in order to align with the agenda of the power that be. The original teachings of Jesus were sidelined because they are too dangerous and revolutionary! Christianity therefore as an organised religion by the earliest Church established by the Romans was a fraud perpetrated to 'unite' agrieved true followers of Christ with the power that be when it became obvious Christ's original relevolutionary message was poised to establish the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth! ( Meaning all Kingdoms and Empires would have to pave way).

The distortions of the core teachings of Jesus and atrocities committed by the Romans in the name of "Christianity" layed the foundation for the loss of Jesus's original message. The true message and core teachings are however revealable ONLY TO THOSE WHO TRULY SEEK. To seek properly, you must be pure in heart, honest and humble and you must look beyond the Bible, touted as the "final" word of God. God has never stopped speaking and will continue to speak.

The Master himself said that "...Seek and ye shall find! ... Ye shall find the truth, and the truth shall set you FREE!"
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 12:38pm On Jun 26, 2019
Niyi74:

Emperor Constantine's edict of religious freedom paved way for the Roman Empire to adopt Christianity as State Religion.

Constantine is a historical figure, a real person.

Jesus is a figment of the imagination of the Roman Catholic Church.

Have you seen a picture of Jesus?

Who painted that picture?

Everytime you bow down to a picture or image of Jesus, you infact worshiping the famous renaissance architect Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni.

Its all a massive con.

Emperor Constantine was a ruthless dictator

One that manufactured christianity so as to subdue the Roman peasants and kept them paying taxes.

Furthermore, the life of Jesus according to the bible is a carbon copy of the military campaign of Emperor Titus Flavius Vespasianus.

Emperor Titus Flavius Vespasianus was a real person.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Niyi74(m): 4:35pm On Jun 26, 2019
Amujale:

Everytime you bow down to a picture or image of Jesus, you infact worshiping the famous renaissance architect Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni.

Its all a massive con.

One that manufactured christianity so as to subdue the Roman peasants and kept them paying taxes.

Furthermore, the life of Jesus according to the bible is a carbon copy of the military campaign of Emperor Titus Flavius Vespasianus.

Well, I'm not interested in convincing anyone about his existence. My earlier submission was for those who earnestly seek. Jesus spoke in parables. The essence of parables is to hide the core message so that the impatient will walk away or jump into conclusions, while the humble and genuine seekers will ask further questions, get answers and receive understanding.

Christ, as portrayed by the Romans in the Bible doesn't exist. That was implied in my previous post. The story of his virgin birth, death, ressurrection etc. as portrayed in the Bible all have their rooting in many Greco-Roman mythologies and indigenous religion, one of which is the cult of Mithras.

There are so many secrets that I can't continue to reveal here about how desperately those who hate the truth have tried to subdue the true message of Jesus. For example, if you don't read the teachings of Jesus within the context of the dilemma of the Jews under Roman occupation, you may never understand His revolutionary message. Examine the book titled "The Secret message of Jesus" by Brian D. McLaren.

That's why any true disciple of Jesus must look beyond the Bible to understand His core teachings. There are other books that were excluded from the Bible as "heresy" while some were destroyed or buried (like the red sea scrolls) because they expose the fraud currently being perpetrated in the name of Christianity.

The confusion created by those who desperately seek to subvert and revise the core teachings of Jesus for selfish reasons, is responsible for the reasonable doubt about his actual existence today. No reasonable person will believe a virgin birth without asking questions. And when you ask a question about some of the lies without getting convincing answers, you begin to justifiably doubt everything to the very existence of the source itself.

My advise to all "Christians" reading this is to seek earnestly, the secret message of Jesus. When you find the truth, you will stop worshipping "Christ" and start following Jesus. When you assimilate His core teachings, you will realise why every earthly authority will try to subdue the message. Martin Luther King for example looked beyond the Bible and discovered the core teachings of Jesus. Just like the true disciples before King, he spread the revolutionary message and also suffered same fate as Jesus. The core teachings are revolutionary and the few who are hell-bent on keeping the masses in perpetual darkness will continue to attempt to subdue it. The so-called second coming of Jesus is actually the moment when the TRUTH about his message will finally be made bare to the world. That is when the Kingdom of Heaven will be established on earth and when the World will know peace.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 9:03pm On Jun 26, 2019
Respect55:

It's obvious u aren't a philosopher

Ok, mr philosopher explain why he was wrong
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2019
Amujale:

Its all a massive con.

Did the Romans also manufacture the Jewish Old Testament that’s filled with prophesies about the coming of Christ? Did they also produce all the miracles done in that name or the fact that dark forces retreat upon that name.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 9:25pm On Jun 26, 2019
Niyi74:

Well, I'm not interested in convincing anyone about his existence. My earlier submission was for those who earnestly seek. Jesus spoke in parables. The essence of parables is to hide the core message so that the impatient will walk away or jump into conclusions, while the humble and genuine seekers will ask further questions, get answers and receive understanding.

Christ, as portrayed by the Romans in the Bible doesn't exist. That was implied in my previous post. The story of his virgin birth, death, ressurrection etc. as portrayed in the Bible all have their rooting in many Greco-Roman mythologies and indigenous religion, one of which is the cult of Mithras.

There are so many secrets that I can't continue to reveal here about how desperately those who hate the truth have tried to subdue the true message of Jesus. For example, if you don't read the teachings of Jesus within the context of the dilemma of the Jews under Roman occupation, you may never understand His revolutionary message. Examine the book titled "The Secret message of Jesus" by Brian D. McLaren.

That's why any true disciple of Jesus must look beyond the Bible to understand His core teachings. There are other books that were excluded from the Bible as "heresy" while some were destroyed or buried (like the red sea scrolls) because they expose the fraud currently being perpetrated in the name of Christianity.

The confusion created by those who desperately seek to subvert and revise the core teachings of Jesus for selfish reasons, is responsible for the reasonable doubt about his actual existence today. No reasonable person will believe a virgin birth without asking questions. And when you ask a question about some of the lies without getting convincing answers, you begin to justifiably doubt everything to the very existence of the source itself.

My advise to all "Christians" reading this is to seek earnestly, the secret message of Jesus. When you find the truth, you will stop worshipping "Christ" and start following Jesus. When you assimilate His core teachings, you will realise why every earthly authority will try to subdue the message. Martin Luther King for example looked beyond the Bible and discovered the core teachings of Jesus. Just like the true disciples before King, he spread the revolutionary message and also suffered same fate as Jesus. The core teachings are revolutionary and the few who are hell-bent on keeping the masses in perpetual darkness will continue to attempt to subdue it. The so-called second coming of Jesus is actually the moment when the TRUTH about his message will finally be made bare to the world. That is when the Kingdom of Heaven will be established on earth and when the World will know peace.

Christianity is spiritual. Either u have (or at least are on the side of) that Spirit or u r not. All these u see giving testimonies about deliverance or miracles performed in their lives by the Spirit don’t know all these u talk about. They don’t need to. Remember the earliest disciples had no books like bible yet they were the most productive -the Spirit was in them
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 9:43pm On Jun 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Did the Romans also manufacture the Jewish Old Testament that’s filled with prophesies about the coming of Christ? Did they also produce all the miracles done in that name or the fact that dark forces retreat upon that name.

No, the Romans made that all up using fake and plagiarised text from more older philosophies.

The Romans were highly educated for their time and they sure made evil use of their talent.

May the Almighty God punish the souls of the authors of the christian bible for years that amount to an infinity.

May the Almighty God punish those that are currently preaching christianity and all other manufactured religions to Africans eventhough they themselves know that all of it is fake.

May the Almighty God touch the hearts of the ignorant, they are not to blame.

May the Almighty God continue to bless Africa and all our people for ever more.

Africans will progress and put all our enemies to shame.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 10:05pm On Jun 26, 2019
What is more important to a wannabe accountant, the christian bible or a mathematics text book?
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 10:10pm On Jun 26, 2019
Imhotep a Nubian from KM.T is one of the greatest philosophers of all time.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 10:12pm On Jun 26, 2019
Orunmila is one of the greatest philosphers of all time.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 10:24pm On Jun 26, 2019
Respect55:

Mr. philosopher his premise is not valid. Here are some reasons why

**An objection, as presented by Georg Lichtenberg, is that rather than supposing an entity that is thinking, Descartes should have said: "thinking is occurring." That is, whatever the force of the cogito, Descartes draws too much from it; the existence of a thinking thing, the reference of the "I," is more than the cogito can justify.

**The Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard calls the phrase a tautology.
Here, the cogito has already assumed the "I"'s existence as that which thinks. For Kierkegaard, Descartes is merely "developing the content of a concept", namely that the "I", which already exists, thinks. As Kierkegaard argues, the proper logical flow of argument is that existence is already assumed or presupposed in order for thinking to occur, not that existence is concluded from that thinking.

**The Scottish philosopher John Macmurray rejects the cogito outright in order to place action at the center of a philosophical system he entitles the Form of the Personal. "We must reject this, both as standpoint and as method. If this be philosophy, then philosophy is a bubble floating in an atmosphere of unreality." The reliance on thought creates an irreconcilable dualism between thought and action in which the unity of experience is lost, thus dissolving the integrity of our selves, and destroying any connection with reality. In order to formulate a more adequate cogito, Macmurray proposes "I do therefore I am".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Respect55(m): 10:34pm On Jun 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Mr. philosopher his premise is not valid. Here are some reasons why

**An objection, as presented by Georg Lichtenberg, is that rather than supposing an entity that is thinking, Descartes should have said: "thinking is occurring." That is, whatever the force of the cogito, Descartes draws too much from it; the existence of a thinking thing, the reference of the "I," is more than the cogito can justify.

**The Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard calls the phrase a tautology.
Here, the cogito has already assumed the "I"'s existence as that which thinks. For Kierkegaard, Descartes is merely "developing the content of a concept", namely that the "I", which already exists, thinks. As Kierkegaard argues, the proper logical flow of argument is that existence is already assumed or presupposed in order for thinking to occur, not that existence is concluded from that thinking.

**The Scottish philosopher John Macmurray rejects the cogito outright in order to place action at the center of a philosophical system he entitles the Form of the Personal. "We must reject this, both as standpoint and as method. If this be philosophy, then philosophy is a bubble floating in an atmosphere of unreality." The reliance on thought creates an irreconcilable dualism between thought and action in which the unity of experience is lost, thus dissolving the integrity of our selves, and destroying any connection with reality. In order to formulate a more adequate cogito, Macmurray proposes "I do therefore I am".

What u *copied* is true and false. False in the sense that a philosopher starts where his predecessor stopped. I don't think you know that. And you have to start philosophizing by attacking and criticizing those who have philosophised earlier.
A conclusion is said to be valid insofar it can be inferred. From the first and second premisses. Descartes did that. That they criticized his work does not remove the validity of his claims.

I will answer u more tomorrow
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 10:37pm On Jun 26, 2019
Amujale:

No, the Romans made that all up using fake and plagiarised text from more older philosophies.

The Romans were highly educated for their time and they sure made evil use of their talent.

May the Almighty God punish the souls of the authors of the christian bible for years that amount to an infinity.

May the Almighty God punish those that are currently preaching christianity and all other manufactured religions to Africans eventhough they themselves know that all of it is fake.

May the Almighty God touch the hearts of the ignorant and set them free from mental depredation; they are not to blame.

May the Almighty God continue to bless Africa and all our people for ever more.

Africans will progress and put all our enemies to shame.

Jews were reading and following the Torah and the Talmud (which are our Old Testament) long before the existence of Rome. And they are still following them today while totally rejecting the New Testament and Jesus as Messiah.
Rather God punish those that have deceived u and distracted u from the fact that Christianity is not about books and traditions but about following a Spirit.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 10:46pm On Jun 26, 2019
Respect55:

What u *copied* is true and false. False in the sense that a philosopher starts where his predecessor stopped. I don't think you know that. And you have to start philosophizing by attacking and criticizing those who have philosophised earlier.
A conclusion is said to be valid insofar it can be inferred. From the first and second premisses. Descartes did that. That they criticized his work does not remove the validity of his claims.

I will answer u more tomorrow

Ok. Just prove to me how existence of thinking proves existence of Renee Decartes (or that Renee causes the existence of thinking - which of course implies that thinking would disappear if Renee disappeared - which somehow it hasn’t!)
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Amujale(m): 11:49pm On Jun 26, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Jews were reading and following the Torah and the Talmud (which are our Old Testament) long before the existence of Rome.

Not so, that is what the authors of Abrahamic text would want you to believe.

In actual fact, Rome predates both Christianity and Judaism.

Regardless of what Abrahamic text says, Judaism is a relatively new religion.

When the Eurocentric Crusaders were busy stealing and desecrating religious concepts around the world, there was no such religion called Judaism or Christianity

Christianity was manufactured by Rome before Judaism later became a religion after the renassance.

Therefore, Rome manufactured Christianity, and the early Crusaders manufactured Judaism.

Its a typical case of cause to have a means instead of "means to a cause".

Its all a massive fabrication.

A complete and utter CON.

A mind f*c*.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Uniben Best Graduating Student In Surgery Receives New Laptop And 100 Pounds / Students Representing Kano In A Quiz Die In Fatal Accident. Photos / Bode Okundayo, UNIBEN Lecturer Accused Of Raping 400 Level Student In His Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.