Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Superstition And Fear - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Superstition And Fear (265 Views)

Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition / How Can You Love And Fear God? / Ifa Spiritual System Is Not A Source Of Magic, Superstition And Lies... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Superstition And Fear by Holycity(f): 9:34pm On Jun 22, 2019
SUPERSTITION AND FEAR

 Superstition does not exist when we know what the actually causes it. Superstition grows out of ignorance, limited knowledge and flourishes on fear. Superstitions that arise from interpretations of religious dogmas and creeds are very difficult to remove. Attempt to disprove them reflects upon religious precepts and causes hostile reaction that justifies continued support of superstitions.

 But religious superstitions can be removed only through personal evolution and inner urge for higher concepts. With full understanding and assimilation, we can also fault previous superstitions, and wilfully decide to courageously cast them aside. But many superstitions have no foundation in religion.

 With talismanic practices as superstition, we hold the belief that when we carry or wear some article or item, or amulet, and venerate them, such amulet brings to us some good fortune. Psychologically such talismanic practices strangely affect our reasoning as long as we clasp, stroke, kiss the talisman or object of superstition, in veneration. While we receive what we wish for, belief in superstition is consequently strengthened.

 Since man believes that nothing “just happens” and there is cause for everything, whether known or unknown, he attributes what he does not understand to unknown cause, and credits it to supernatural powers. Man fears and respects things that he does not understand or master. There is no relationship between education and lack of superstition and one who is educated may not be free of superstition, because many highly educated persons, even in professional walks of life, are exceedingly superstitious.

 Fetishism is another kind of superstition, consisting of carrying or wearing the belonging of departed relative or dear friend with belief that such article has power to protect. When we believe that carrying an article possesses the attributes or powers of the original owner, our belief becomes definitely fetishism, believing the article to actually become infused with supernatural power.

 Though superstition is still prevalent today, and some older forms no longer survive, new ones germinate simply because our mind is susceptible to superstition. To avoid being superstitious, through fetishism, we must understand the causes of things around us and not presume, or pretend, to know the cause; such presumption, without foundation, is dangerous. Secondly, we must remember that there is no such thing as supernatural because only the cosmic and natural laws exist.
Re: Superstition And Fear by Truthsbitter: 11:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
lol...not until you experience.

i beg you in the name whatever you believe in whether cosmic or natural laws just keep up your path closely and be radically committed to liberate those you believe are caged in superstitions of the supernatural and know you will become more superstitious and you will tell a different story soon.

I have been there, done that with every atom of commitment in me over and over it was the same... let me just wait for your next post.

I love to read...write so I can read you, for you sound nice.
Re: Superstition And Fear by Holycity(f): 7:24am On Jun 23, 2019
Truthsbitter:
for you sound nice.

I sound nice how

(1) (Reply)

#PastorStepDown: ''Stop This Call Or You Face God's Wrath'' - COZA Issue Warning / God Has Solution For Your Problems / @adurabibeli_**

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.