Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:07 PM

Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps (14476 Views)

Idahosa: Oshiomhole Should Stop Panicking Over Probe Of N30b Storm Water Project / Ihedioha Sues Imo Assembly Over Probe Of ‘missing N19.63b Council Funds’ / Ambode Drags Lagos Assembly To Court Over Probe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Islie: 7:50am On Jun 23, 2019
by Dare Odufowokan,

PLAN by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to probe its members for voting the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidates in the recent election of the Senate President and Deputy Senate President as well as the House of Representatives Speaker and Deputy Speaker is now causing ripples in the opposition party.

Although the PDP directed its members to back Alhaji Ali Ndume for Senate President and Umar Bago for House of Reps Speaker, the result of the elections showed that many of the lawmakers ignored their party’s directive.

Spokesman for the PDP, Kola Ologondiyan, told reporters at the end of the 86th National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting of the party that a committee would soon be set up to unravel the roles played by PDP legislators in the election of the leadership of the National Assembly.

Ologbondiyan’s announcement is now causing disquiet within the party with members taking different positions.

Earlier during the meeting, the National Chairman of the PDP, Prince Uche Secondus, had condemned what he called the disloyal attitude of PDP senators and Reps members who defied the directives of the opposition party and voted for Senator Ahmed Lawan and Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila.

Shortly after Lawan and Gbajabiamila emerged winners the PDP had first said it would not sanction its senators and members of the House of Representatives for not heeding the directive of the party on the candidates to vote for during the election.

The party’s Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Diran Odeyemi, said, “There is nothing new in what happened and it is not unexpected… There is no reason to sanction anyone and come to think of it, it was an open secret balloting which does not leave room for identifying who voted for or against the party’s directive.”

Hours to the NASS leadership elections, the PDP had adopted Senator Ali Ndume and Hon. Umar Bago as its choices for Senate President and Speaker respectively. It thereafter directed its members in the upper and lower chambers to vote accordingly. However, many Senators and Reps elected on the platform of the party defied the directives and voted for other candidates.

In the contest, Senator Lawan garnered 79 votes to beat PDP backed Ndume, who scored 28 votes. Also, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege of the APC defeated Senator Ike Ekweramadu of the PDP in the election of the Deputy Senate President, scoring 68 votes to his opponent’s 37 votes. Gbajabiamila floored PDP’s choice, Bago. The results confirmed that many PDP lawmakers gave their votes to the APC backed candidates contrary to PDP’s directives.

“This is easy to establish because both Ndume and Ekweremadu did not secure the entire 44 votes of the PDP senators. Bago’s total vote scored also fell extremely short of the numbers of members we have in the House of Representatives,” a party source told our correspondent while justifying the decision of the party to investigate the voting pattern of its members, and possibly punish erring members at the end of the investigations.

He expressed displeasure at what it called the embarrassed by the roles played by some PDP members in the National Assembly during the election. “Their personal interest clashed with party interest, and they failed to do what is expected of them by allowing personal interests to drown that of the party. The party is indeed embarrassed and our leaders have decided to ensure that henceforth, party discipline is taken seriously,” he added.

Sources told The Nation that many chieftains of the party are opposed to moves to probe the matter.

According to very reliable party sources, Secondus’ decision to announce a committee that will probe the voting pattern of the lawmakers is at best a “personal opinion backed by a few aggrieved party leaders who suffered personal losses due to the outcome of the elections.”

A party leader from the southeastern part of the country confided in our correspondent that some PDP governors have expressed their dissatisfaction with the announcement ,and urged the party leadership to put the development behind it and concentrate on providing quality opposition to the ruling APC.

It was also learnt that many PDP Senators and Reps members have vowed not to appear before the committee if ever constituted.

“Take for example, the governor of my state who openly endorsed Gbajabiamila when the later visited him; will he allow federal lawmakers from his state to be ridiculed by the committee? A ranking Senator from a South-South state went round with Senator Lawan during the campaign for Senate Presidency, what will the party do about that? The senator has even vowed not to appear before the committee.

“Aside governors and Senators, many party chieftains were taken by surprise to hear the announcement by Secondus.

“He didn’t consult widely before saying what he said. Don’t also forget that when he was asked a few days after the election of Lawan and Gbajabiamila if the PDP would punish its members who voted for the duo, he said the party would not do anything of such. That is exactly his personal opinion.

“We have it on good authority that the new decision to probe and punish is the idea of one of our governors in the South-south who felt personally insulted by the outcome of the elections. This governor, had also without consulting others, influenced the last minute directive given by Secondus to our legislators to vote Ndume and Bago. They think they own PDP. More shocks await them.”

The Nation gathered that some PDP governors, senators and other chieftains have formally protested to the National Chairman, expressing their objection to the decision to probe the outcome of the NASS leadership election. It was gathered that many of them warned the national leadership of the party to avoid any action capable of throwing the party into a fresh crisis while urging it to rescind its decision to investigate ‘a dead issue that is of no significance to the growth of the party.’

https://thenationonlineng.net/cracks-in-pdp-over-probe-of-senators-reps/
Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by TANTUMERGO007(m): 7:51am On Jun 23, 2019
I dedicate this FTC for the happy repose of FR. OSIGWE, you have completed the work God sent you to do and saved so many lives including mine. You healed many people of their illness, may God forgive all your sins and grant you eternal life. When I had attacks and I visited your healing ground, you prayed and I got healings even after I was told by the doctors that I was healthy but deep down inside me I was seriously sick, where all my left part of the body was not alive. Today I'm an agile man and I don't feel pains after attending healing masses from Lagos to IFO every week.

Et cum spiritu tuo

5 Likes

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by biacan(f): 7:53am On Jun 23, 2019
Y
Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by daomi(m): 7:55am On Jun 23, 2019
S
Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by aolawale025: 8:04am On Jun 23, 2019
Coming from the Nation. Will rather take this news with a bag of salt

2 Likes

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by soleexx(m): 8:04am On Jun 23, 2019
Okay.... u guys should go to church today...one Angel one drop lot of blessings today 23 6 19...

1 Like

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:05am On Jun 23, 2019
What we only have to say is : GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Tekecoms1(m): 8:08am On Jun 23, 2019
A party lacking direction and foresight.

1 Like

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Wise64(m): 8:08am On Jun 23, 2019
Its a pay back time for PDP. Same way APC members voted for Saraki in violation of the party choice in 2015.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by infohenry(m): 8:09am On Jun 23, 2019
Wike is not happy.

1 Like

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by midolian(m): 8:09am On Jun 23, 2019
grin

Truth is, many apart from those from South South and southeast are in PDP because they have no choice..the party is a useless party filled with misguided supporters, nepotic bastards and unfortunate losers.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Belawy(m): 8:11am On Jun 23, 2019
Na dema okoros.

1 Like

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Amuocha: 8:11am On Jun 23, 2019
Useless cracks

3 Likes

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Jchi9876: 8:11am On Jun 23, 2019
This pdp is just a confused thieving bastard party

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Phygo(m): 8:14am On Jun 23, 2019
A
Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Claircower: 8:14am On Jun 23, 2019
[]

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by tommykiwi(m): 8:16am On Jun 23, 2019
PDP should just allow sleeping dog rest!

2 Likes

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Bolustical: 8:21am On Jun 23, 2019
Why should they probe them?

Don't they love the independence of the legislature again?

Same PDP that loved the way APC members voted for Saraki and Ekweremadu against party directives in 2015 wants to probe its lawmakers for 'doing the right thing'.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Rigel95(m): 8:24am On Jun 23, 2019
midolian:
grin

Truth is, many apart from those from South South and southeast are in PDP because they have no choice..the party is a useless party filled with misguided supporters, nepotic bastards and unfortunate losers.
And you are in APC because you're not a bastard?

1 Like

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by tstx(m): 8:24am On Jun 23, 2019
Hmm
Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by tstx(m): 8:26am On Jun 23, 2019
This PDP people are just confused

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature (09011639568) no advance payment

2 Likes

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Boyooosa(m): 8:29am On Jun 23, 2019
They never she shumtin

1 Like

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 23, 2019
Lol!! Senators that will soon defect from PDP to APC grin Na their way be that..

3 Likes

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 23, 2019
"They think they own PDP. More shocks await them."
PDP might just be on it's road to the dogs

8 Likes

Re: Cracks In PDP Over Probe Of Senators, Reps by Boyooosa(m): 8:31am On Jun 23, 2019
Awol1:
"They think they own PDP. More shocks await them."

PDP might just be on it's road to the dogs
Before nko?
The same fate awaits APC if den no adjust quick..,

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Policeman, Six Others Killed As Bandits Attack Villages In Katsina / Abubakar Sani-Bello: I Am Not Taking Over The Leadership Of APC / Umar Ardo: Atiku May Be Expelled From PDP If He Tries To Contest Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.