Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,957 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France (41968 Views)

2023 WWC: Nnadozie Wins Woman Of The Match In Super Falcons’ Draw Against Canada / WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances / AFCON 2019: Super Eagles Protest Over Unpaid Bonuses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by naptu2: 9:38am On Jun 23, 2019
Nigeria stage sit-in at WWC over unpaid bonuses

Colin Udoh Special to ESPN

3:29 AM

Nigeria players are staging a sit-in protest, refusing to leave their hotel in France until all of their outstanding bonuses are paid, following the team's elimination from the Women's World Cup on Saturday.

Players told ESPN they are owed bonuses from two games, against Gambia and Senegal, from as far back as two years ago, amounting to 2 million Nigerian naira (about $5,600 U.S.), but they have been paid only half of that. They also say they are owed five days of daily allowance while at the World Cup.

"They paid us 1 million [naira] and said that is all. We want them to pay the balance," one player told ESPN. "Part of that money is from two years ago, the other is from three years ago. And they are also owing us five days' daily allowance here in France.

"Before the World Cup, we asked them for a meeting so that we could discuss our World Cup bonuses, like they did with the men's team last year. They ignored the letter and nobody said anything about it until now."

The players are also demanding their share of the World Cup participation fee from FIFA, even though the tournament's organisers are not scheduled to pay those until September.

Nigeria Football Federation president Amaju Pinnick told ESPN that all the outstanding allowances have been paid.

"We have paid them everything they are being owed," he said.

Nigeria reached the knockout stage of the Women's World Cup before losing to Germany in the round of 16 on Saturday. Elsa/Getty Images

"The only thing outstanding is the participation fee from FIFA, which is not expected to come until after the tournament. But they insist that they want to get paid, as they have spoken to players from Cameroon and France, who told them they have already been paid."

It is not the first time Nigeria's women team has staged a protest over bonuses. After winning the 2016 African title in Cameroon, the squad returned home and staged a public demonstration on the streets of the capital, Abuja, to demand payment of their outstanding allowances.

In 2004, the team also sat in for three days at their hotel in South Africa after winning the African title until the allowances were settled.

Nigeria reached the knockout stage of the Women's World Cup in France before losing 3-0 to Germany in the round of 16 on Saturday in Grenoble.

https://global.espn.com/football/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/3882567/nigeria-stage-sit-in-at-wwc-over-unpaid-bonuses

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by naptu2: 9:38am On Jun 23, 2019
The Super Falcons also staged a sit-in protest after the African Women's Championship in South Africa in 2004. They refused to leave their hotel until they were paid.

Consequently they missed their flight to Nigeria and became stranded. President Olusegun Obasanjo had to send the presidential jet to pick them up.

Agony of ex-Super Falcons coach, Godwin Izilien 12 years after Nations Cup triumph in South Africa

By Gowon Akpodonor |   30 December 2016   |   2:04 am

In 2004, Coach Godwin Izilein led the Super Falcons to win the African Nations Cup in Johannesburg, South Africa. It was the fourth AWC title for Nigeria.

Twelve years down the line, the coach, now 74 years old, and the rest of his coaching crew are still being owed salary arrears of over $28,750, out of which, $12,000 of the amount belongs to Izilien.

As in the case of the Coach Florence Omagbemi-led Super Falcons squad that won the recently concluded 2016 African Women’s Nations cup in Cameroun, the team to the 2004 AWC in Jo’burg was not given any chance by the then NFA board led by Alhaji Ibrahim Galadima before their departure for that championship.

With determination, however, Izilien and his players fought and won the battle, beating the Lionesses of Cameroun 5-0 in the final with Perpetua Nkwocha (now an assistant coach of the team) accounting for four goals plus a late strike from pocket dynamite, Vera Okolo.

Millions of football-loving Nigerians back home celebrated the victory late into the night, but unknown to them, Coach Izilien, members of his coaching crew and the players were being subjected to derision in far away Johannesburg.

Sensing another round foul play when the Galadima-led NFA defaulted in paying all entitlements after the competition, the girls protested by refusing to leave their hotel rooms the next morning for the airport, insisting on getting their camp allowances and winning bonuses.

“The team was abandoned by the Federal Government delegation, but as a coach and father to the players at that point in time, I had to stay back with them until the Nigeria Consulate intervened by paying the players’ entitlements,” Izilien recalled in a chat with The Guardian yesterday. “I took the pain to stay back with them because abandoning the girls at that point would be seen as unprofessional. But I was pleading with them to end the protest since we were in another country, but they refused.

“So many Nigerians who did not even know what transpired between me and the players in Johannesburg started to spread rumour back home that I instigated the players to embark on the protest. Some ‘bad belle’ people even went as far as saying that they saw us displaying Biafran flag while protesting on the streets of Johannesburg. I am an Edo man, and I have not seen a Biafran flag in my entire life. All the rumour were meant to spoil the mind of then President Olusegun Obasanjo and members of the Federal Executive Council,” he said.

Speaking further, Izilien, who also led the National U-17 team, Golden Eagles, to the African Championship in The Gambia in 1995 said: “Some of the Super Falcons players I took to South Africa in 2004 were relatively young. I discovered them during school competitions, and it is only fair that government should have appreciated my efforts. I am only using this medium to appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari, the Vice President, Prof. Yomi Osibanjo, Senate President, Bukola Saraki, members of the Senate Committee on Sports, House of Representatives and indeed all well meaning Nigerians to come to my rescue. It hurts me on daily basis whenever I remember the sacrifices I made for the country, and how I have been neglected in return. The players got their money, so why should I continue to suffer? Many governments have come and gone, but I will be very grateful to the Buhari administration if he could pay us the equivalent of that money. It is a way of rewarding excellence and fulfilling Federal Government’s promises.

“I have written several letters to concerned authorities without a single reply; I am suffering after being neglected by the football authority. To think that I agreed to handle the female national team at a time of crisis without asking for extra remuneration, and to be treated in this manner is not encouraging for the growth of the game. I did it out of patriotism for fatherland.

“We were promised payments on arrival in Nigeria after the championship, but till date nobody has said anything about that money,” Coach Izilien added.

https://guardian.ng/sport/agony-of-ex-super-falcons-coach-godwin-izilien-12-years-after-nations-cup-triumph-in-south-africa/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by naptu2: 9:38am On Jun 23, 2019
The Falcons also had to stage a sit-in protest after the 2016 Nations Cup in Cameroon.

naptu2:

The Super Falcons’ woes began even before they played the final match at the 2016 AWCON. They had heard that the sports minister, Solomon Dalung and members of the NFF led by their president, Amaju Pinnick, would come and address the team, especially on issues concerning their camp allowances, winning bonuses and the coaches’ nine months salaries would be settled.

However, the sports minister, NFF president and their delegation flew into Yaounde in a chartered jet, stayed at the airport until it was almost time for the match, drove straight to the stadium to watch the match without seeing the Falcons and then drove back to the airport after the match and flew to Nigeria without seeing the players.

The VIPs flew into Yaounde in a chartered jet, but the players had to fly back to Nigeria via commercial flights. They had to fly from Yaounde to Douala in a plane that was too small to carry their luggage (their luggage was transported by road) and then fly from Douala to Abuja.

Protest

Their allowances and bonuses were still not paid when they returned to Abuja and they had to stage a sit in protest at their hotel.

Meanwhile, the Lionesses of Cameroon that were beaten by the Falcons were being hosted by President Biya at a state reception in which they were showered gifts, given medals and praised as heros of Cameroon.
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/reception_lionnes_full_08_12_2016.jpg?w=584[/img]
Gaelle Enganamouit and other lionesses being hosted to a reception by President Biya of Cameroon after coming second at the 2016 AWCON.

The Falcons protested at their hotel until they were evicted, then they carried their protest to the streets. They staged a protest march to the National Assembly and they also marched to the Aso Rock Villa where they were received by the chief of staff to the president. The COS promised that President Buhari would intervene in their situation.

[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/92966305_2b5fe69e-ddb7-4461-9aff-017599350c1b.jpg?w=584[/img]
Ngozi Okobi, Rita Chikwelu and other Falcons protesting on the streets of Abuja.

[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/falcons-protest-1-1.png?w=584[/img]
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/falcons-4.jpg?w=584[/img]
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/falcons8.jpg?w=584[/img]
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/falcons-protest.jpg?w=584[/img]

The Falcons protesting outside the National Assembly
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/falcons-protest1.jpg?w=584[/img]

[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/super-falcons.jpg?w=584[/img]

The Falcons with Abba Kyari (chief of staff to the president) outside the Aso Rock precinct)
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/pay-falcons-bbc.jpg?w=584[/img]
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/super-falcons2.jpg?w=584[/img]
[img]http://naijachronicles.files./2018/11/abba-kyari-and-super-falcons.jpg?w=584[/img]

It took an intervention by President Buhari before the Falcons and their coaches were paid their entitlements.

Florence Omagbemi

Some members of the NFF were angry that the Falcons staged a protest in Abuja. They believed that the Falcons embarrassed the NFF before the government and people of Nigeria and they held Coach Florence Omagbemi responsible for the protest.

They believed that Coach Omagbemi was responsible because she did not control her players and prevent them from protesting, so they decided that she must go. They decided that they would either appoint a foreigner as coach of the Falcons or they would recall the former coach, Edwin Okon, to take over as coach.

The NFF initially ignored Coach Omagbemi for months, then they directed her to apply for her job. They eventually frustrated her out of the job and the Falcons were without a coach for many months.
Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by Mufasa27(m): 10:12am On Jun 23, 2019
Dem dey craze grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by lifezone247(m): 10:12am On Jun 23, 2019
NFF Wetting happen nah? grin

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 23, 2019
Who did Nigeria offend

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by sloye5(m): 10:13am On Jun 23, 2019
Naija my country
Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by loadedvibes: 10:14am On Jun 23, 2019
Lol.. hahaha them no gree comot hotel again.. una better come house o.. wetin una play ?

Or abi na the money make them no play well

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by safarigirl(f): 10:14am On Jun 23, 2019
After dem lose woefully, next thing na to dey protest wages dem sabi.

Na so their younger brothers, those Flying Eagles do. Useless teams that go to the world stage to chop beating, na dem dey give wahala pass

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by habeeb246(m): 10:14am On Jun 23, 2019
Make them bring cup or nothing

11 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by Iamdmentor1(m): 10:14am On Jun 23, 2019
Super Eagles better win AFCON or else they'll also protest over unpaid bonuses.

23 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by kingigwe1: 10:14am On Jun 23, 2019
Useless nation

6 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by bigkahuna704(m): 10:14am On Jun 23, 2019
How would they play a motivated game if they're owed allowances. Na wa o

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by carterguccy(m): 10:15am On Jun 23, 2019
Mufasa27:
Dem dey craze grin

Dem dey mad

5 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by advocate666: 10:15am On Jun 23, 2019
Anybody doing anything for the Zoo is on their own.

Why did they even agree to enter field.

25 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by hisexcellency34: 10:15am On Jun 23, 2019
Is that why they decided to lost the match?
Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by Joshmodest(m): 10:15am On Jun 23, 2019
.I don't want to play the devil's advocate here , but it's only Nigeria we keep hearing all this kind of news , players complaining about being owed allowances , even the senior male team complain about this all the time....
Despite the fact Nigeria doesn't deserve it , Patriotism is a very key word in country's development....Ronaldo plays for Portugal , tell me how much exactly do you think they pay him , yet he puts in all his energy into playing for them , you shouldn't be earning match bonuses , before playing for your country.
if Nigeria had a proper setting ,and if they respect thier players both past and present well , putting on the green Jersey is more than any amount , the federation can give !!
Notwithstanding the NFF should pay this girls , cos they set this precedent , of if u win we give you ____ , now let them dance to thier music !

77 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by ifyalways(f): 10:16am On Jun 23, 2019
After yesterday's disgrace ? cheesy

Those ladies broke my poor heart yesterday

9 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by owolabi5: 10:16am On Jun 23, 2019
If it was Super Eagles they will be paid even before they play, but our Falcons with their splendid performance over the years especially in Africa truly deserve some RESPECT!

Meanwhile

For processing of your new vehicle registration (Lagos number plate), change of ownership, renewal of vehicle particulars such as vehicle licence, hackney permit, third-party and comprehensive insurance, roadworthiness certificate, heavy duty permit, driver's licence processing and renewal, please Call: 08033539981 or

WhatsApp: 08182880902

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by TLisieux: 10:16am On Jun 23, 2019
Shame on our sports administrators. Why treat the ladies differently from the guys? And why must they protest before they get paid all the time? What a country!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by Boyooosa(m): 10:16am On Jun 23, 2019
Make den go find somewhere sidon jere

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by millionboi2: 10:16am On Jun 23, 2019
Hahahaha
Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by SOFTDRINK: 10:16am On Jun 23, 2019
Make them pay them their money

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by Boyooosa(m): 10:17am On Jun 23, 2019
I hope theyv got money to pay sha, cos Nigeria can not be responsible for any extra cost o..
Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by anyimontana(m): 10:18am On Jun 23, 2019
Lol
Next time baba next level tell u guys to GO GET THEM,u will understand the consequences of not GETTING THEM

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by fergie001: 10:19am On Jun 23, 2019
Florence Omagbemi was sacked for tacitly backing them the last time.....

The question is:
Are they owing Dennerby?
I don't think so.....

But they are owing the girls....
Would Dennerby be sacked for tacitly goading the girls?

Because of his skin.....I don't think so.......

Buhari,Pinnick & co., pay them their money....

15 Likes

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by LZAA: 10:19am On Jun 23, 2019
Nigger area tins grin
Cc immhotep Adaibeku madridguy gandollar

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by ImpregnaTor(m): 10:19am On Jun 23, 2019
dta
Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by little1992: 10:19am On Jun 23, 2019
Speak better English before you open your mouth to criticize people that worked for the country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France by helphelp: 10:20am On Jun 23, 2019
As bad as it seems not to pay their bonuses. It's a shame the monetary aspect is also much more important to these girls than winning...

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo Of Muhammad Ali With His Mother! RIP / Wilson Oruma Suffers Relapse Of Emotional Disorder, Ex Teammates Call For Help / Mikel Obi's Girlfriend Olga Shares Cute Picture Of Him With Their Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.