Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now (31035 Views)

Ojukwu Lighted Up Cigarette, Smoked At Aburi, Ghana Meeting (Video) / Nnamdi Kanu Shares 50-Year-Old Newspaper About Aburi Agreement (Photo) / Atiku Vs Buhari: Agbakoba Reveals Who Should Win Election, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Basher8583: 10:18pm On Jun 23, 2019
Destiny34:
Why're you guys always afraid of division? If Nigeria divide will you die. That means without SS/SE there no Nigeria!

Please speak for yourself. SS is not interested in separating. It has always been SE from day one.
If however SE breaks with SS, then SS will be in charge because they own the coastal area. Thus lose lose for SE.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Wallade(m): 10:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
Olajah81:

You need mental check up pass anybody. Wetin dey sweet your belle? Politics money you never see chop. Walahi... You be numu nye nye.. (In kegite vabaration),

Small pikin turn politics to sport and bet.

I don't like engaging non-entities like you especially on the subject of politics. Get a life "old man"!
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by PeaceNexus(m): 10:21pm On Jun 23, 2019
This country can never move forward with the current arrangement. Some regions are held back so badly. Until the day this country is divided no reasonable development is to be witnessed. There must always be tribalism and nepotism. Its just a matter of time that people like you will run out of time and eventually reconsider your stance.
sarrki:
Can you imagine

Someone that have benefited immensely from Nigeria

Someone that campaigned for Atiku day and night

Someone that supported Pdp day and night

Agbakoba is really an agbako
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by mutvy: 10:28pm On Jun 23, 2019
Let them give Igbo people their Biafra but they should not be seen in the South West again. They can carry their houses back to their East. Let this nonsense and madness end. Enough is enough.

2 Likes

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Halo22: 10:28pm On Jun 23, 2019
If I understand Chief Agbakoba right, he z referring to the confederal system of govt initiated by Ojukwu before the Civil war. I think that's the best way to go for our country. Each region would be serious with their resources. We are too populated to be an entity

2 Likes

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Rapmoney(m): 10:33pm On Jun 23, 2019
sarrki:

grin grin

Learn from history young man

We won’t allow any miscreants to kill innocent children and women for greedy purposes again
I never knew you are this ignorant!!! You posted news that you did not even understand! Where did Agbakoba mention fighting war to break up the country? You must be a political illiterate not to know the true meaning of Federalism. Seriously, education is not for everyone.

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Zoogerian234: 10:35pm On Jun 23, 2019
fredoooooo:
You need a room in yaba left sir Agbakoba grin

Where all of your ancestors are right??
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by baby124: 10:35pm On Jun 23, 2019
He’s right. Nigeria has simply become ungovernable as one single unit.

3 Likes

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Rapmoney(m): 10:36pm On Jun 23, 2019
mutvy:
Let them give Igbo people their Biafra but they should not be seen in the South West again. They can carry their houses back to their East. Let this nonsense and madness end. Enough is enough.
Dem dey call names of meat, periwinkle still dey raise hand up. Who knows this one?
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Aiyk2333: 10:41pm On Jun 23, 2019
zibya:
This man claims to be a SAN and yet fails to realize that the president dosen't have the constitutional authority to unilaterally alter the constitution in order to put into effect most of what he just suggested
How many times has the president altered the constitution in his last five years in office, let's not go there.. The federalism we practising is a sham. federalism on paper, in textbooks... The president has overtime controlled the three arms of government. His choices are now the principal officers in the legislative arm, his choice is the head of the judiciary. What else!!! But you see power intoxicates. The adoption and borrowing the ideas of the 1979 constitution to make up the 1999 bad ruined this country.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Lokoyen(m): 10:50pm On Jun 23, 2019
highcollide:
unity beggar....

unity almajiri....

if he fails to divide the country into regions, people would divide into regions themselves and there is nothing anyone would do.

Its better he do it now to save his name and democracy. Nothing is working under this present Democracy. It's best we restructure.

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by mrnigerdelta: 10:50pm On Jun 23, 2019
some of you here are just brainless. rather than listen to the message, you are attacking the messenger

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 23, 2019
Destiny34:
Why're you guys always afraid of division? If Nigeria divide will you die. That means without SS/SE there no Nigeria!
them know because they lack in every aspect, from clean water to poor basic amenities and poverty and disease is like a tribal mark to them up there that's why they don't want to allow peaceful dissolution of the country
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by JubrilBuhari: 10:52pm On Jun 23, 2019
sarrki:
Nigeria will remain as one entity

Nobody will divide us

There is strength in unity

We say big NO to our haters

Nigeria won’t be divided

Cc mynd44

Cc lalasticlala
Unity with who?
Oh! I forget am replying a senseles dude!
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by ogunsbanjul(m): 10:58pm On Jun 23, 2019
Who made Agbakoba one of the greatest hearoes of democracy in Nigerin, when he was NBA chairmqn why dis he not make this comment and finally, why did he not come up with this his ideology when this present main opposition party was in government? All these self centred and self acclaimed human right activist who after making huge amount of money through unity of Nigeria now resulted in preaching against it.

2 Likes

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by 3Ceagle(m): 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2019
JubrilBuhari:

Unity with who?
Oh! I forget am replying and senseles dude!

Take it easy, the guy is just doing his job. You know what I mean. Learned persons won't descend so low insulting others.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by jamjo: 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2019
sarrki:

Nobody will divide us

Nigeria won’t be divided

Cc mynd44

Cc lalasticlala

Why are you afraid whenever you hear someone use the word (Division), Please you go and read that article again maybe this time you will comprehend what his was suggesting. Honestly, I think you have a problem with comprehension.

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by rusher14: 11:17pm On Jun 23, 2019
seanfer:
My question to Agbakoba is that why wait till now before giving this advice? Because this administration is not in his favour.

Ask him if he suggested this to Jonathan.

2 Likes

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by oluwasegun007(m): 11:22pm On Jun 23, 2019
Marriage not favourable to all parties involved, is that one marriage

Let's come to the round table and discuss terms and conditions.

Na xoxo aboki full ministry ment for a country.. Haba
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by searchlight: 11:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
sarrki:
Can you imagine

just try to have small sense na haba. Even I'd you don't have sense just pretend to have one. Do you mean because he campaigned for atiku his contributions are null and void? Don't you think he supported atiku because of same issue he raised? Anyway if I'm not mistaking you are a zombie

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by searchlight: 11:42pm On Jun 23, 2019
sarrki:

grin grin

Yet you and your leaders are rooting for Atiku Abubakar
Yes because he promised to restructure the ZOO. Anyway last time I checked you were still a zombie

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by wink2015(m): 11:51pm On Jun 23, 2019
sarrki:

Former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, and human rights activist, Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), has told President Muhammadu Buhari to divide the country into eight regional structures.

Agbakoba, one of the greatest heroes of democracy in Nigeria, noted that there are so many unclear issues in Nigeria about how people of the country want to organize themselves and how they want to live together.

The senior lawyer told reporters at the weekend that insecurity and other serious issues facing the country “can’t [be] fully arrested,” if the central government remains so strong as it is now.

He added that, “This is because community policing or state policing is a tactical tool to deal with the problem, but the strategic tool is the bigger question of the national question.

“There are so many unclear issues in Nigeria about how we want to organize ourselves, how we want to live together, this is what some people have called the restructuring question, some call it the national question, but I call it devolution of powers question.

“Whatever it’s called that is the central issue that needs resolution so that even if you use tactical tools like community policing, but the bigger issue remains then I don’t know if we can resolve it.

“What Nigeria needs is space, there are diverse ethnicities and they are living in such close proximity that one ethnic community is in the face of the other with counter-cultures, counter-religious beliefs and that is not healthy. Even in America in spite of all their advanced democracy, they take care of diversities.

“So, I think if I were to advise the president, for instance, the first thing to do is create space…,identify the ethnic regionalities, create eight big blocs, even though we have 6 to make it 8.

“And then I will give them the power to do things at their own local level, it’s called the principle of subsidiarity; let them work at their own local level. Subsidiarity is where people engage themselves at the local level such that you find in Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England.

“Part of the challenge they had when they were living closely was to create an act of settlement of 1705, that was when peace began to come and each of the regions recognized themselves.

“They all had their own prime ministers and they call them first ministers, so the prime minister of the UK is the one we see internationally, but on local matters like school, refuse collection, education, agriculture, employment, health issues, it’s local.

“So, imagine where eight of the regional structures in Nigeria were fending for themselves at their local level and not depending on federal allocation from Abuja, things will be different.

“Immediately they will take control of what is around them, they will create state police, they will create the relevant security apparatus to deal with any threat, therefore, you don’t need one Chief of Army Staff, and they don’t need one Inspector General of Police to be running around entire Nigeria.

“For instance…say in the South-south region, they will have all the relevant apparatuses to deal with whatever situation that they need to survive as a region.

“They could have courts; they might like to have a Supreme Court of the South-south where cases end in the Supreme Court of the South-south, so they do not have to go to the Supreme Court of Nigeria because the Supreme Court of Nigeria has no business dealing with issues arising from there.

“That is the kind of space I think that should be paramount in the issue concerning where Nigeria is heading to.

“Because that discussion is not on the table, all these ethnic issues flare up as major national insecurity challenge. So, that is what I will do or suggest if I had the opportunity to advise on it. The Federal Government is too strong.

“The Federal Government is actually not a Federal Government, ours is a unitary government because the states have no power on the legislative list so there are 68 items on the Exclusive List and as the name implies in Exclusive List only the Federal Government handles it.

“There is 30 on the Concurrent List, concurrent is between the federal and the state to legislate, but if the Federal Government legislates then pursuant to what is called the doctrine of covering the field the state is not allowed to do anything. In other words, the states have no legislative authority, that creates a problem.

“Why should the Federal Government be dealing with Universal Basic Education for primary schools? What is the Federal Government responsibility with that? I don’t understand.

“What is the Federal Government responsibility with setting up a JAMB process so that you equalize educational activities, but if my grandchild from Anambra scores 282, but my friend’s grandson from Zamfara scores 100, my friend’s grandson gets into the university, but my own does not get in. Why don’t you simply say ….look each region can just organize itself and take your examination?

“So, it is this centrifugal federalism, that means federalism that has a pyramid that has only one leader that is our problem.

“We just have to blast the structures and allow regional leaders as we had under the 1960 Constitution. So, when you have regional leaders you will have people who will like to play regional politics or regional law.

“There is no reason, for instance, in my own profession the eight regions I propose should not be awarding SAN to their best lawyers. Why must it only be Abuja? In the UK, the SAN in England is different from the SAN in Scotland.

“So, the formula that worked for Nigeria was to recognize the differences and I think the best example of the agreements that we can apply is the Aburi Accord.

“The Aburi Accord recognized that Nigeria’s problems were as a result of our diversity not being well managed. We need to manage our diversity that is the way we can move forward

https://dailypost.ng/2019/06/23/apply-aburi-accord-divide-nigeria-now-agbakoba-tells-buhari/

Nice one from Olisa Agbakoba (SAN)

I am wondering why northern Nigeria is so afraid of restructuring?

A process they stand to benefit from given their vast arable land for agriculture including other solid mineral.

The same northern Nigeria political leadership stood against the motion that was moved by late Anthony Enahoro seeking for Independence in 1954.

Northern political leaders headed by the then sarduana of sokoto Sir Ahmadu Bello said they were not ready for Independence because their people lack education for self governance and that they prefer the British colonial master.

Boko Haram is now tearing the north apart with a large number of northern loosing their lives

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by idesylvester(m): 11:58pm On Jun 23, 2019
Are we United, Do you even know what unity means?...�
sarrki:

Nobody will divide us

Nigeria won’t be divided

Cc mynd44

Cc lalasticlala
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by degamemaster(m): 12:02am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:
Can you imagine

Your life is immensely hopeless. Why not attack or criticise the message and leave the messenger alone? One of the reasons why Nigeria cannot move an inch is because Nigerians with this kind of your mentality are bent on destroying the intellectual giants while supporting and promoting dundies and evil minded criminals like buhari.
Shame on you.

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by searchlight: 12:02am On Jun 24, 2019
zibya:
This man claims to be a SAN and yet fails to realize that the president dosen't have the constitutional authority to unilaterally alter the constitution in order to put into effect most of what he just suggested
But he had the power to hold some political prisoners against court orders, he has the power to withdraw money from CBN for the purchase of Aircraft without due process, he had the power to install and uninstall CJN at will. In other words are you saying that we are stuck in this country this way? Are you insinuating that the ZOO is irredeemable cus the status quo isn't manageable and can not changed by the best president Nigeria has had since 1914.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by searchlight: 12:08am On Jun 24, 2019
seanfer:
My question to Agbakoba is that why wait till now before giving this advice? Because this administration is not in his favour.
is there any sense in what he said? Even if he said that because this administration isn't favouring him he can't be affected like ordinary man. Agbakoba is in the league of elites. You that is defending this administration how has the administration and our current constitution favoring you? How can we be doing same thing and expect a different result? The problem of this country majorly are the zombies and unfortunately they are more in number than the sane people.

4 Likes

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by searchlight: 12:20am On Jun 24, 2019
[quote author=Juliusmalema post=79610090][/quote]plzzzz how do you cancel comment on NL
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by nanauju(f): 12:27am On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:
God please even after the 8 regions, everyone should go their own way .... straight up.

I don't have time for unity beggars like ftc above.

This shiithole needs to stop existing.

Lugard with his adulterous wife has done to us more harm than good.

After an unholy, marathon night sex even on top bed while still fornicating named this jungle Nigeria.

Chineke ekwela..

Go to your SA forum bros, if at all you have one. Stop littering NL for Nigerians
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by GeorgeTheCoder: 12:53am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:
Can you imagine

Your imbecility shows more and more every day.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by nototribalist: 1:02am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:

grin grin

Learn from history young man

We won’t allow any miscreants to kill innocent children and women for greedy purposes again

Who is talking about killing, are you this dumb and childish?
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by KunAviero(m): 3:14am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:
Can you imagine

Attack the messenger leave the message.

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by jumobi1(m): 3:33am On Jun 24, 2019
mutvy:

You don’t even know why you’re angry. Knowledge is power.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Five Killed In Wukari Over Taraba's Governorship Judgement / Biriyai Dambo And Ayebaesin Edoghotu-Omoh Want To Replace Ben Bruce Senate Seat / Insecurity: Why We Couldn’t Defeat Boko Haram – Ex-Service Chiefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.