Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,018 members, 7,803,408 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria (965 Views)

Ganduje Recommends Death Penalty For Corruption / Insecurity In Nigeria: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers, Others / Katsina Announces Death Sentence For Kidnappers, Cattle Rustlers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by engreo(m): 10:25pm On Jun 23, 2019
“I believe by the time anyone caught in the act faces death penalty other people will learn and stop."

Abdulfatai Buhari has recommended capital punishment for kidnappers in Nigeria.

Buhari told journalists on Sunday in Ibadan, Oyo State, that the spate of kidnapping and killing across the country would continue unabated if such a drastic measure was not taken.

Buhari was a former Chairman, Senate Committee on ICT and Cybercrime, in the 8th National Assembly.

The lawmaker lamented rising cases of kidnapping and killing in Nigeria, claiming violent crimes are becoming a lucrative business for those involved.

“These heinous crimes against humanity have gone beyond the normal Fulani herdsmen attacks and have become a real trade for those who engage in them. Let me be honest with you, the situation is very worrisome. I believe and I am afraid because Nigerians themselves are yet to take a drastic measure.

“I believe by the time anyone caught in the act faces death penalty other people will learn and stop.

”Kidnappers have been arrested but nothing has been done to them. I believe taking them to court is a longer process,’’ he said.

He recalled how the increasing rate of drug peddling was stemmed in the 80s through drastic measures, adding that a lot of people abandoned the illicit trade as soon as the government made those arrested to face the firing squad.

”Today, going to Saudi Arabia, Bangkok, Singapore or India with drugs or to commit other forms of crime attracts death penalty and such had to an extent stemmed the trend.

“Nigerians are very stubborn people. They won’t change except there is a deterrent. These people collect cash from victims and take it to banks but the banks have not been reporting receipt of strange money accounts,” the senator said.

He called on Nigerians to collaborate with security agencies by providing them vital information on strange persons and movement around them.

Buhari referred to the recent abduction of a former health minister’s son in Oyo State, noting that the hoodlums could not have operated without information.

“I am sure some people would have supplied information to the culprits on the movement of the former minister’s son and the location of his farm.

”Nobody will tell me that Fulani herdsmen came from Niger Republic to abduct him without information,’’ he said.

http://saharareporters.com/2019/06/23/buhari-recommends-death-penalty-kidnappers-nigeria-says-nigerians-are-stubborn

1 Like

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by Mynd44: 10:37pm On Jun 23, 2019

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by jlinkd78(m): 11:28pm On Jun 23, 2019
G
Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by Sirchef: 12:25am On Jun 24, 2019
Seconded
Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:59am On Jun 24, 2019
Typical politician. Proposing the death penalty cos he realize kidnapping could potentially hit him.
Why not same for people who steal public funds. Of course millions possibly die as a result of such theft.

Mychewww

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by TooMuchStuff: 3:01am On Jun 24, 2019
Hypocritical Buhari cares not a dime about kidnap victims.... Afterall Fulanis are cashing out Big time and BuhariApC is to be thanked
Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by jumobi1(m): 3:05am On Jun 24, 2019
Isn’t it his government that negotiates with terrorists, pays terrorists and releases them? It’s kidnappers they want to kill?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by helinues: 5:14am On Jun 24, 2019
Is it that hard to put Abdulahi Buhari in the headlines?

Mtcheeeew

1 Like

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by helinues: 5:14am On Jun 24, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Hypocritical Buhari cares not a dime about kidnap victims.... Afterall Fulanis are cashing out Big time and BuhariApC is to be thanked

Next time take your time to read before commenting

1 Like

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by Bolustical: 5:27am On Jun 24, 2019
Ok
Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by juvewalex(m): 6:21am On Jun 24, 2019
And hand judgment of 750k as option fine of 6months jail term for someone who stole #20b. I'm not in support of kidnapping but these people should tackle issues from the root source. Nigerian politicians kidnap our billions without getting caught, rather we still pay ransom by voting in every 4 years...

1 Like

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:30am On Jun 24, 2019
This is all Bihari knows

Tough talk

He can’t govern

Go and catch the kidnappers first that’s the big issue and not severity of their punishment
Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by slimfit1(m): 6:46am On Jun 24, 2019
Same to public looters, they are the reason why we have kidnappers.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Recommends Death Penalty For Kidnappers In Nigeria by oteneaaron(m): 7:21am On Jun 24, 2019
helinues:
Is it that hard to put Abdulahi Buhari in the headlines?

Mtcheeeew

Welcome to Nairaland Click Bait 101

These moderators forget that some people don't bother to read the actual post and just rush to comment. . .

It's now about First To Comment and not First To Make Sense. . .

2 years from now, Nairaland might just become a dumping site for spammy content.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See Nigerian Muslims (photos) / Ajaokuta: Gov. Yahaya Bello’s Scam Exposed / Why Atiku Should Head To Supreme Court Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.