Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? (5449 Views)

Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? / Those Who Died Before Jesus Christ Came Into This World, Where Is Their Eternity / The Perfect Image Of A Christian Before Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 6:14pm On Jul 29, 2019
CaveAdullam:
No volume 3, still volume 1 and 2. The volume 3 contains 62 lectures.
That picture is a good idea!

See!

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by CaveAdullam: 6:22pm On Jul 29, 2019
budaatum:

That picture is a good idea!

See!
can you throw more light on the picture below?

1 Like

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 7:01pm On Jul 29, 2019
CaveAdullam:
Of course I can. It has a page 2!

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 7:14pm On Jul 29, 2019
Pitstop. On my way home.

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by CaveAdullam: 7:55pm On Jul 29, 2019
budaatum:

Of course I can. It has a page 2!
can you please tell me the essence of you sharing this info with me?

1 Like

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OkCornel(m): 7:59pm On Jul 29, 2019
budaatum:
Pitstop. On my way home.

Hi Buda, hope you don't mind me asking...where are you based? No specifics ... Just the country...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 8:36pm On Jul 29, 2019
OkCornel:

Hi Buda, hope you don't mind me asking...where are you based? No specifics ... Just the country...
Specifically, Lewisham, born and bred.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 8:44pm On Jul 29, 2019
CaveAdullam:
can you please tell me the essence of you sharing this info with me?
See buda see trobu! Cave, you de ask me "essence"?
Abi make I bold am make you see sense first?

No be you ask for am

CaveAdullam:
please uncle budatuum, do you have the complete volumes i.e volume 1-3 or only volume 3 of the the book in the light of the truth; grail message?
"Essence"! Don't make people see our case o abeg, use small small word, I no sabi big ones with no sense!!

So, tell Cave. What do you understand from what you read? I need to know before I post the second.
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 8:48pm On Jul 29, 2019
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OkCornel(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2019
budaatum:

Adventure Of A UK Tier 4 Dependant

Nice... we'll get to see...
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 8:56pm On Jul 29, 2019
CaveAdullam:
"nepa"! Light.

Did someone tell you that's how it works?
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by CaveAdullam: 9:25pm On Jul 29, 2019
budaatum:

See buda see trobu! Cave, you de ask me "essence"?
Abi make I bold am make you see sense first?

No be you ask for am

"Essence"! Don't make people see our case o abeg, use small small word, I no sabi big ones with no sense!!

So, tell Cave. What do you understand from what you read? I need to know before I post the second.

It talks about idolatry which doesn't mean worshipping carved metals or woods but the temporal things of the earth, our ambitions etc. which comes first before God in our hearts, thereby causing a shift of the soul from uniting perfectly with God. That is page 1.

Page 2 encourages man to seek after God so that the soul will be tied to him and nothing can separate his soul from God. The end result is purity and perfect union with God on earth and even after death.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2019
CaveAdullam:
It talks about idolatry which doesn't mean worshipping carved metals or woods but the temporal things of the earth, our ambitions etc. which comes first before God in our hearts, thereby causing a shift of the soul from uniting perfectly with God. That is page 1.

Page 2 encourages man to seek after God so that the soul will be tied to him and nothing can separate his soul from God. The end result is purity and perfect union with God on earth and even after death.
Very good! Very good indeed!

How does one "seek after God"?
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2019
My eyes are done so I'm posting only part of the second. Homework due in the morning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by CaveAdullam: 6:51am On Jul 30, 2019
budaatum:

Very good! Very good indeed!

How does one "seek after God"?
Before anyone can seek God, he must come to the knowledge that God has laid down tools and procedures on how to seek Him.

Then we come to the big question
1. Is God in any religion?

2. Which religion has the true God?

3. What are the tools and procedures in seeking this God?

At this point is like I'm reversing the question back to you, The Lord Jesus Christ is the true God. But how did I come to this conclusion?
1. Pragmatic approach,
2. Intuition,
3. Personal experience,
4. Personal research etc.

All of this I'm not ready to share or discuss now because the time is not yet ripe.

Thanks.

God bless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 9:22am On Jul 30, 2019
CaveAdullam:
Before anyone can seek God, he must come to the knowledge that God has laid down tools and procedures on how to seek Him.

Then we come to the big question
1. Is God in any religion?

2. Which religion has the true God?

3. What are the tools and procedures in seeking this God?

At this point is like I'm reversing the question back to you, The Lord Jesus Christ is the true God. But how did I come to this conclusion?
1. Pragmatic approach,
2. Intuition,
3. Personal experience,
4. Personal research etc.

All of this I'm not ready to share or discuss now because the time is not yet ripe.

Thanks.

God bless.
Cave asketh for book and receiveth. Cave opened the book and knocketh! buda graciously thanks Cave for butter and bread for now we starve not and are nourished!

Everybody, kindly see the response of a person who seeks and will definitely find God! When he overcomes, and is ready to share or discuss because the time is ripe for the good soil, Cave's grain will fruit a billionfold, a hundredfold, some sixty million and some thirty, for God blesses Cave!

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by CaveAdullam: 9:34am On Jul 30, 2019
budaatum:

Cave asketh for book and receiveth. Cave opened the book and knocketh! buda graciously thanks Cave for butter and bread for now we starve not and are nourished!

Everybody, kindly see the response of a person who seeks and will definitely find God! When he overcomes, and is ready to share or discuss because the time is ripe for the good soil, Cave's grain will fruit a billionfold, a hundredfold, some sixty million and some thirty, for God blesses Cave!
lol. buda buda.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 9:37am On Jul 30, 2019
CaveAdullam:
lol. buda buda.
Its true na. I just spoke it after you showed me!
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by CaveAdullam: 9:47am On Jul 30, 2019
budaatum:

Its true na. I just spoke it after you showed me!
well-done

2 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by MuttleyLaff: 8:48am On Aug 04, 2019
budaatum:
Pitstop. On my way home.
That's "the Wickham Arms" on Upper Brockley Road, isnt it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 1:42pm On Aug 04, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
That's "the Wickham Arms" on Upper Brockley Road, isnt it?

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25pm On Aug 22, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

The Commandments

There is a well-known story in the gospels in which Jesus is approached by a wealthy man desiring to inherit eternal life. Jesus questions the man on his keeping of the commandments, to which the man retorts by asking Jesus to which commandments he is referring. Jesus replied:

"You shall not commit murder; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; you shall honour your father and mother; and you shall love your neighbour as yourself," Matthew 19:18-19

If you tell this much of the story to a Buddhist monk, he will likely smile in agreement. While the terminology of "eternal life" is quite the opposite of the Buddhist hope, the commands listed here he would generally find quite familiar and agreeable. Five centuries before Jesus spoke these words to that young man, Buddha laid out the eightfold path to enlightenment and Nirvana. He taught that "right action" was necessary, which specifically included abstaining from killing, stealing, and adultery. He taught that right speech was necessary, which specifically included abstaining from deceit and false witness. The Buddhist would see Jesus as merely affirming what Buddha had already established long before Him. But the Buddhist would be mistaken.

While there are certainly basic ethical teachings in Buddhism that are also found in Christianity, Christianity holds to them based on sources far older than the time of Siddhartha Gautama. Six hundred years before Buddha ever spoke a word, God revealed all of these commandments to Moses. They were written down in the Torah and expounded upon in the prophets and other biblical writings all before Buddha was ever born. If ancient origins give one faith greater claim to these commands than the other, then Christians certainly hold the stronger claim.

The Manuscripts

It is also interesting to note that the earliest fragments of manuscripts reporting the words of Buddha that we still have today are from around the first or second century AD.1 This is roughly the same period from which our earliest fragments of the gospels come. Our earliest approximately complete manuscript of a comprehensive collection of Buddha's teachings is from the middle ages, some 2,000 years after Buddha actually lived.2

By comparison, the first manuscript preserving nearly all of the text of all four gospels is a copy from about 220 AD.3 The reality is that we possess today a far more ancient witness to the words of Jesus than to those of Buddha. Buddha may have lived at an earlier date than Jesus earthly life, but we do not have a present witness to his words that is more ancient than the time of Jesus, or even than the time of the earliest Christian manuscripts.

Read More Here
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 9:31pm On Aug 22, 2019
"You shall not commit murder; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; you shall honour your father and mother; and you shall love your neighbour as yourself," Matthew 19:18-19

He taught that "right action" was necessary, which specifically included abstaining from killing, stealing, and adultery. He taught that right speech was necessary, which specifically included abstaining from deceit and false witness. The Buddhist would see Jesus as merely affirming what Buddha had already established long before Him. But the Buddhist would be mistaken.

And your reason is, "one manuscript is older than the other".

"And the second is like unto" what, OLAADEGBU?

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:18pm On Aug 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

The Manuscripts

It is also interesting to note that the earliest fragments of manuscripts reporting the words of Buddha that we still have today are from around the first or second century AD.1 This is roughly the same period from which our earliest fragments of the gospels come. Our earliest approximately complete manuscript of a comprehensive collection of Buddha's teachings is from the middle ages, some 2,000 years after Buddha actually lived.2

By comparison, the first manuscript preserving nearly all of the text of all four gospels is a copy from about 220 AD.3 The reality is that we possess today a far more ancient witness to the words of Jesus than to those of Buddha. Buddha may have lived at an earlier date than Jesus earthly life, but we do not have a present witness to his words that is more ancient than the time of Jesus, or even than the time of the earliest Christian manuscripts.

Read More Here

Conclusion

The mere age of an idea does not make it true or false. While Buddhist cultures do tend to put great weight on what is old and time-tested over what is new and think that this gives Buddhism greater authority than Christianity, this assumption is flawed. First of all, it is flawed on the obvious grounds that older ideas are not always better than newer ones. Buddha himself came offering new ideas his culture had never heard. In doing so, he openly corrected the ancient traditions that were then prevalent around him. If the older idea is always better, Buddhism should never have been taken seriously in the first place.

Second of all, it is flawed because it wrongly assumes that the Christian gospel is less ancient than Buddhism simply because Jesus physically walked the earth at a later date than when Buddha lived. As we have seen, the manuscript witness to the teachings of Jesus are older than those of Buddha The teachings of Jesus are rooted in commands and wisdom revealed long before Buddha lived. The Christian gospel fulfilled in Jesus was promised by God for as long as men have lived and was written down by His prophets centuries before Buddha was ever born. If one does insist on giving special weight to what is ancient and time-tested over what is more recent, the Christian gospel ought certainly to be the more greatly revered of these teachings.

https://carm.org/does-it-matter-that-buddha-came-long-before-jesus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Gospel Has Already Been Preached To The Whole World / The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Atheism. / My Pastor Or GOD , Who Should I Listen To ? (Christians ONLY Please )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.