Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:08 PM

Possibilianism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Possibilianism (1728 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possibilianism by EmperorHarry: 7:22pm On Jun 24, 2019
This is a reply to the question "How can one believe in science and religion at the same time" by a quora user Jae Won Joh.It's lengthy but captivating and enlightening.

This is a really long answer, but bear with me and I'll try to blow your mind in the next few minutes. Allow me to begin by asking a seemingly irrelevant question: have you ever heard of the Ultra Deep Field Experiment by the Hubble Telescope?

You see, what happened some years ago was that NASA completed a low-resolution map of the night sky, and they decided they wanted to go deeper. So they picked a little, tiny patch of space--about the size of a pencil tip at arm's length. It was utterly insignificant, really, just another blank patch of space with nothing there, but they decided to point the finely-honed lens of the Hubble telescope at that patch in the hope of detecting whatever lonely photons of light might trickle in from that region of space.

Each time the Hubble made its way around the earth, it pointed toward that patch for 20 minutes. After 400 orbits, they took all the data and compiled it to discover not a star, nor a cluster of stars, but ten. thousand. galaxies. Turns out that blank patch wasn't so blank after all. Now, assuming a galaxy is about a 100 billion stars, that's a thousand trillion stars--many of which, much like our own sun, presumably have their own planetary systems, all with the potential to house as-yet unknown forms of biology.

I think these results are a really good consciousness-raiser to think about as we contemplate the sheer size of the mysteries that surround us. Hold on to this thought as you read on. :-)

== First, a little on science... ==
I am a scientist by training. By the time I graduated college I'd already poured thousands of hours into procedures, scored publications in peer-reviewed journals, presented my work at national conferences, and in total spent nearly a third of my life working in various research labs. Why? Because I figure if I want to understand what's going on in this strange world around me, there's probably no better method than to directly study the blueprints.

You have to admit, science in the last several hundred years has been immensely successful--we've cured smallpox and polio, gotten men to the moon, invented the internet, and tripled life spans.

But I think one of the most important experiences you gain from a life in science is that once you walk the pier of what is currently known, at some point, you reach the end of the pier. And beyond that end is everything we don't know--it's all the uncharted waters, the deep mysteries that we don't have insight into yet, like why mass and energy are equivalent, or what dark matter/dark energy are, or why there are multiple spatial dimensions, or how you build consciousness from mechanical pieces and parts. That's the real lesson that science provides--the vastness of our ignorance.

Now, rest assured that with every generation, we will undoubtedly continue to add more slats to the pier...but it's a huge ocean, and we have no guarantee how far we'll get, and certainly in our brief twinkling of a 21st century lifetime, we're simply not going to live to see the end. So again: science hammers home the message that what we know is so vastly outstripped by what we don't know.

So given all this, I find that this question has at its core a popular misconception that's become increasingly widespread over the last decade, particularly in the political arena: that scientists don't have the capacity to gamble beyond the available data, and they act like they've got it all figured out with various equations that perfectly capture the picture of the whole cosmos.

That's actually a very poor description of how science operates.

Science is in some ways about disproving other people's hypotheses (including those posited by religion), but it's so much more than that. Science is really about creativity in making up new hypotheses--and part of the scientific temperament is a tolerance for holding multiple hypotheses in mind at the same time. What we actually do is we make up new stories in lab every day and then we go and we seek evidence to weigh in favor of some stories over others.

But it's often the case that some questions are too far out right now. They're beyond the toolbox of science, and as a result we're unable to gather evidence for them. That's ok--science is fine with holding multiple hypotheses on the table. That ambiguity is accepted as part of the relationship we have with mother nature. It's just part of the vast mysteries around us.

== A little on religion... ==
I was raised by a microbiologist mother who was a very devout Christian who insisted I read the Bible and learn all its stories and go to church. Despite my many years as a scientist I still find comfort in praying to God even though I know He might not exist/care, and I have seen various circumstances that I could attribute to "power of prayer", although my cynical side calls it "placebo" and "coincidence". So I categorize myself loosely as being "religious".

Consider this: there are 2000+ religions on the globe, and everyone already knows what it's like to be an atheist, because all you need to do is look at someone else's religion and say "Well it's patently ridiculous that you would believe in that", and of course they're looking back at you and thinking the same thing.

Try an experiment: the next time you meet someone new/random, whether it's on an airplane or in a bar, ask them if they've ever heard of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field Experiment. I guarantee you the number of people who have will be outweighed heavily by the number who haven't. But everyone will be able to tell you all the details of whatever cultural story they grew up on.

You don't need to be an anthropologist to recognize that our nervous systems absorb whatever our cultures pour into us. So if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, chances are you love Islam. And if you were born in Rome, you probably love Catholicism; in Tel Aviv, Judaism; in Springfield, Ohio, Protestantism (apologies for the broad brush strokes here, I'm clearly overgeneralizing, but I think you get the point).

So it's not a coincidence that there's not a blossoming of Islam in Springfield, Ohio, and there's not a blossoming of Protestantism in Mecca. It's because we're products of our culture, and we accept whatever's poured into us. If there were one truth, you would expect that it would spread everywhere evenly, but clearly the data doesn't support that. The crazy part is, our cultures pour this stuff into us, and then sometimes people are willing to fight and die over their particular stories.

Are you familiar with the creation story of the Bakuba kingdom of the Congo? It goes like this: there was a white giant named Mombo who had a sharp pain in his belly, and he vomited up the earth and the sun and the moon and the stars. Then he had a second pain, and he vomited up the animals and people and trees. Included in that second ejection was the leopard, the anvil, the eagle, woman, the monkey Fumu, firmament, medicine, man, and lightning.

If you find the creation story of the Bakuba to be an unlikely explanation as to how we got here, keep in mind that if you were Bakuba, you would find equally bizarre the Western story of the naked couple and the talking reptile and the prohibited produce. AND if you were Bakuba living in Kansas, you would be fighting to get your story into your children's textbooks.

The holy books written by the world's religions are often quite beautiful, and crystallize hard-won wisdom, but keep in mind the fact that these were written millennia ago by people who didn't know about the size of the cosmos, or the Big Bang, or bacterial infection, or DNA, or computation, or even very much about neighboring landscapes/cultures. Ralph Waldo Emerson pointed out that the religious stories of one generation become the literary entertainment of the next--and indeed, you can see that nobody's fighting over Isis and Osiris anymore, or the Greek/Roman gods.

== So how do you combine the two? ==
I'm not suggesting that the Bakuba story is wrong or that the Adam and Eve story is wrong because the two are competing stories...as a scientist, I'm suggesting that they're wrong because all the available evidence weighs against them.

For example, the biblical story suggests that the world is 6000 years old while our best science tells us that it's 4.5 billion years old, which means the biblical account has to somehow explain how the Japanese were making pottery 4000 years before the earth existed.

For my money, this sort of thing puts me somewhere in the middle. I've felt for a long time that we know too little to commit to strict atheism, yet we know far too much to commit to a particular religious story.

So what surprises me is the amount of certainty I find out there. When you walk into a bookstore, you'll find books by the neo-atheists and books by the fundamentally religious, and they argue with each other and they polarize each other and they spend all of their energies on that.

Maybe there should be another voice here? That seems far too limited for a modern discussion. Because if you think about the space of possibilities...

Take the Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions--bam! That's one point in the possibility space.
Take the eastern religions--bam! That's another point.
The idea that we're just mechanical pieces and parts and we shut off when we die, that's yet another.
We were planted here by space aliens...sounds absurd, but heck, it's still a possibility.

When you start populating the possibility space with these 2000+ data points, what you realize is that there are vast landscapes in between these possibilities as well. All of these points are infinitesimally unlikely, but together they add up to this possibility space, and there hasn't been enough discussion about this space as a whole. Instead, the discussion has been limited to what I consider a false dichotomy--God vs. no God.

...and that's where the conversation has ended. :-(

True, there are some people in the middle, and they sometimes describe themselves using the term "agnostic". I don't use that term because it's typically used as a weak term--often when people say they're "agnostic", what they mean is "I'm not sure if the guy with the beard on the cloud exists or doesn't exist".

So I call myself a "Possibilian". And the belief behind Possibilianism is an active exploration of new ideas, and a comfort with the scientific temperament of creativity and holding multiple hypotheses in mind. As a Possibilian, anything goes...at first. And then I import the tools of science to rule out parts of the possibility space. For instance, while it would be really cool if ESP existed, to the extent that we can measure things now, we cannot find any evidence to support it.

Possibilianism basically picks up where the toolbox of science leaves off, when we no longer have the tools to address the questions we have, and must simply understand the space of possibilities, some of which we can rule out, but others which we are unable to at this time.

The reason it is so important to keep that open-mindedness about the parts that we don't know is because we know for certain about the magnitude of things we don't know. In every generation of scientists, people have always felt that they have all the pieces and parts that they need in order to answer what is going on around them in the cosmos. But just imagine trying to explain the Northern lights without an understanding of the magnetosphere, or trying to explain the heart before the concept of a pump was invented, or trying to understand how muscles work before electricity was discovered. You would make theories, but you would be doomed to be incorrect. And that's where, in many instances, people found comfort in religion, superstition, the supernatural, etc.

We're in that same position now.

Example 1: We've got Newtonian physics, and Einsteinian physics and quantum mechanics, and we think, ok, we've sort of got all the pieces and parts. But astrophysicists look at the movement of the planets and galaxies, and they look at the gravitational pull, and they realize...something's missing. There's something out there that we can't quite see or smell or touch, but it must be there to make the equations work. So they call this fudge factor "dark matter"--we don't exactly know what it is, but we require it to make the equations balance out. Some of you may already know: dark matter isn't a small fudge factor; it's 90% of all known matter--that's a lot to sweep under the rug!

Example 2: Consider the human brain. It's the most complicated device we have ever found; it's essentially an alien computational material. It is so dense in its connectivity that if you were to take a cubic millimeter of brain tissue, there are more connections in there than stars in the Milky Way galaxy. Yet somehow, this wet, mechanical networked system is YOU. It's all your hopes and dreams and aspirations and emotions. If you were to lose a little part of your pinky, you wouldn't really be any different, but if you lost an equivalently sized piece of neural tissue, that would completely change your conscious state.

The problem is, we don't know how to take mechanical pieces and parts and build private subjective experience out of that. Imagine if I gave you a trillion tinker toys and told you to start hooking them up. At what point do you add one more tinker toy and say, "Ah-ha! It's experiencing... the taste of feta cheese now"?

That's the problem. We don't have any way to apply our equations to determine how we perceive the redness of red or the smell of a fart. Not only do we not have a theory of how the brain works...we don't even know what such a theory would look like.

== Conclusion ==
All of this calls for a bit of intellectual humility.

While we can't prove the existence of God, being unable to prove He exists doesn't necessarily mean He's nonexistent either--our current tools may simply be insufficient for the task. So I keep both religion and science at my side--in some cases, science gives me the answers I seek; in others, it doesn't, and when the current toolbox of science doesn't allow me to gather data to understand how/why a seemingly miraculous phenomenon occurs, I'm happy to simply chalk it up to the wisdom/grace of an all-knowing force until science steps up its game. If science will never be able to answer, then, eh, I'm ok with that.

For the smart-alecks out there who would suggest that not committing to anything is more fitting of politicians, I concede that people like people who can firmly commit to a decision. If you're trying to decide whether you should marry someone, or sell some property, or move to a different city, those things require a firm choice.

But what I'm going to suggest is that there are some domains where it's appropriate to be decisive, and some domains where it's not so appropriate. Would you stop a guy on a random ranch in the middle of nowhere and ask him if he thinks there are extraterrestrial civilizations? Do you care what his opinion is? Would you value it more than, say, an astrobiologist's? If not, that suggests that there are some domains in which it is not appropriate to commit and act like you have an answer in the absence of having good evidence.

I feel that people these days are sick and tired of people acting as though they're certain about things that they can't possibly be certain about. As Voltaire said, uncertainty is an uncomfortable position, but certainty is an absurd position.

So whatever. As a Possibilian, I would rather geek out and be creative with new narratives and hold multiple possibilities in mind with comfort. And I always feel free to cite the gospel of science, the most important three words that science ever gave to humankind: I don't know.

For anyone struggling to reconcile their seemingly conflicting views on religion and science: try to seek comfort with having multiple narratives and having uncertainty. This is not just a plea for simple open-mindedness, but for an active exploration of new ideas. This is important for our education, for our legislation, perhaps even for the future of our warfare (or lack thereof). In short, be free from dogma and full of awe and wonder. See if you can live a life that celebrates possibility and praises uncertainty. :-)

~~~~~
I want to give credit where it's due: the overwhelming majority of this answer came from a talk given by my neuroscience professor David Eagleman a few months ago on the subject. I found myself in complete agreement with him and I thought this question was an appropriate opportunity to share his ideas with even more people, so if you're impressed, I want to say that I'm really just standing on the shoulders of a giant here. :-)

A citation with links if you're interested in reading more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pos...

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by hakeem4(m): 7:44pm On Jun 24, 2019
Emperorharry

Well it’s actually possible to acknowledge the evidence that science provides and still believe in god or gods. Let’s start by defining these terms.

science : the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

religion the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

One works based on evidence while the other works based on belief
If as a scientist you go into your laboratory and you begin to invoke god or you bring out a hypothesis on how a phenomenon works but you’ve no evidence to back it up, then it isn’t science.

I read the part where the op (from Quora) was just bringing up the god of the gaps. If you fill every point where science doesn’t understand with god without any evidence for backing up that claim. Then that’s not science any longer.

Let me drop a little story here. After newton had got his equations for gravity and motion. He used his equation to explain how the moon and most celestial bodies stay in orbit. When he got to the place his knowledge and equations couldn’t explain he had to invoke god into it.
Years later a French scientist Laplace took up Newton’s work and continued from the point newton stopped. Napoleon called Laplace and asked him why he revoked god. Laplace replies “ there is no need for god to explain this phenomenon”.

And as usual god became irrelevant.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 7:49pm On Jun 24, 2019
"That's the real lesson that science provides
- the vastness of our ignorance."

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by Jmk9292(m): 8:27pm On Jun 24, 2019
Science proves the falsity of dogmas and religion...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by EmperorHarry: 9:39pm On Jun 24, 2019
Re: Possibilianism by EmperorHarry: 9:59pm On Jun 24, 2019
hakeem4:
Emperorharry

Well it’s actually possible to acknowledge the evidence that science provides and still believe in god or gods. Let’s start by defining these terms.

science : the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

religion the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

One works based on evidence while the other works based on belief
If as a scientist you go into your laboratory and you begin to invoke god or you bring out a hypothesis on how a phenomenon works but you’ve no evidence to back it up, then it isn’t science.
Hypotheses are based on beliefs and assumptions.Some would say that science doesn't entertain beliefs only assumptions with that are observable and verifiable which are rather more objective in nature than beliefs but I have my reasons.The major difference between science and religion in the belief aspect is the search for irrefutable evidence for an objective truth.Science doesn't seek to limit the search for the truth no matter how seemingly valid or plausible a theory or proposition is unlike religion which doesn't entertain such knowledge seeking for fear of the loss of control over the masses,Maybe?.Don't question God I was told growing up and I feel it's the same story for most nonreligious folks today.Budaatum can you quote me your delightful reference about going up the mountain grin.

I read the part where the op (from Quora) was just bringing up the god of the gaps. If you fill every point where science doesn’t understand with god without any evidence for backing up that claim. Then that’s not science any longer.
There's no need to fill god into the unknown.God is a choice(to Me) and god independent of sentient subjective influence and selfish interest is unfettered from human activities or perceptions.God is as independent as the shape of a cloud in the sky.How you view the shape of the cloud is different from the next person.You may find people with similar viewpoints and conflicting viewpoints but this in no way affects the cloud .If you don't see the cloud for lack of evidence that it's there then no problemo,it still doesn't add nor remove anything from the cloud.If the cloud is not there and the folks seeing the cloud are prolly on psychedelics then it's all good.The cloud doesn't stop you from going about your day to day activities now does it? This cloud stuff just popped up as I was writing this reply,so please don't quote me to point out it's gaps.I just hope it conveys the idea I'm intending it to and then anybody with a open-mind can subjectively fill in the "gaps".

Let me drop a little story here. After newton had got his equations for gravity and motion. He used his equation to explain how the moon and most celestial bodies stay in orbit. When he got to the place his knowledge and equations couldn’t explain he had to invoke god into it.
Years later a French scientist Laplace took up Newton’s work and continued from the point newton stopped. Napoleon called Laplace and asked him why he revoked god. Laplace replies “ there is no need for god to explain this phenomenon”.
Chalking everything we can't comprehend or can't do up to the supernatural is intellectual or physical laziness,desperation etc which can also be influenced by the quantity and quality of knowledge,the advancement in technology etc of such period.Most of the technology we have today would be useless or nonexistent without electricity so you get the gist.Like someone said on quora,a 100 years from now,humanity would look back to the 20th and 21st century with the same condescension with which we look at the primitive or medieval ages.

And as usual god became irrelevant.
Lol..I trust you to rain on god or the gods parade any chance you get.It's a good thing tho,life would be too boring without diversity. wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 2:00pm On Jun 25, 2019
EmperorHarry:
Budaatum can you quote me your delightful reference about going up the mountain grin.
budaatum:

buda would go up the mountain to learn from God in case Moses and his 70, in their old age, come down from the mountain and get it all wrong!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibilianism by Nobody: 4:33am On Jul 30, 2019
@emperorharry

This is a nice write up. A possibilian as described in this article is also what is called in esoteric circles, a researcher (of Truth).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibilianism by EmperorHarry: 6:52am On Jul 30, 2019
LoJ:
@emperorharry

This is a nice write up. A possibilian as described in this article is also what is called in esoteric circles, a researcher (of Truth).
It's not my write up tho(in case you didn't know)..I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the stamina to write this out but it encompasses everything I stand for so I thought it best to share it with those who are open minded enough.Life is too broad and complicated to be comfortable with having just one perspective.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 7:23am On Jul 30, 2019
EmperorHarry:
It's not my write up tho(in case you didn't know)..I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the stamina to write this out but it encompasses everything I stand for so I thought it best to share it with those who are open minded enough.Life is too broad and complicated to be comfortable with having just one perspective.

Possibilianism is a philosophy which rejects both the diverse claims of traditional theism and the positions of certainty in strong atheism in favor of a middle, exploratory ground

Possibilianism is a philosophy which rejects both the idiosyncratic claims of traditional theism and the positions of certainty in atheism in favor of a middle, exploratory ground. The term was first defined by neuroscientist David Eagleman in relation to his book of fiction Sum. Asked whether he was an atheist or a religious person on a National Public Radio interview in February, 2009, he replied "I call myself a Possibilian: I'm open to ideas that we don't have any way of testing right now." In a subsequent interview with the New York Times, Eagleman expanded on the definition:

"Our ignorance of the cosmos is too vast to commit to atheism, and yet we know too much to commit to a particular religion. A third position, agnosticism, is often an uninteresting stance in which a person simply questions whether his traditional religious story (say, a man with a beard on a cloud) is true or not true. But with Possibilianism I'm hoping to define a new position -- one that emphasizes the exploration of new, unconsidered possibilities. Possibilianism is comfortable holding multiple ideas in mind; it is not interested in committing to any particular story."

An adherent of possibilianism is called a possibilian. The possibilian perspective is distinguished from agnosticism in that it consists of an active exploration of novel possibilities and an emphasis on the necessity of holding multiple positions at once if there is no available data to privilege one over the others. Possibilianism reflects the scientific temperament of creativity, testing, and tolerance for multiple ideas.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727795.300-beyond-god-and-atheism-why-i-am-a-possibilian/

PS: I left my reply to "Is Woman The Initial Plan Of God?" on the back burner but hope to finish with it by today's PM

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by EmperorHarry: 7:45am On Jul 30, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727795.300-beyond-god-and-atheism-why-i-am-a-possibilian/

PS: I left my reply to "Is Woman The Initial Plan Of God?" on the back burner but hope to finish with it by today's PM
Aii bruv..I'm waiting.
Here's a long shot tho, I'm just wondering what your take is on this philosophy "possibilianism" since it neither wholly supports theism nor religious doctrines?
Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 7:57am On Jul 30, 2019
EmperorHarry:
Aii bruv..I'm waiting.
Here's a long shot tho, I'm just wondering what your take is on this philosophy "possibilianism" since it neither wholly supports theism nor religious doctrines?
Correction, possibilianism neither supports theism or religious doctrines and atheism but straddles a middle, exploratory ground. Just as LoJ said, a possibilian is a groper, but one searching blindly in darkness, sometimes indulging in glorified navel gazing
Re: Possibilianism by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 30, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Just as LoJ said, a possibilian is a groper, but one searching blindly in darkness
This is never what I said nor implied.

Moreover, it is better to be in darkness and be aware of it, then search for light, than pretending one is in the light to the point of believing it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possibilianism by EmperorHarry: 8:13am On Jul 30, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Correction, possibilianism neither supports theism or religious doctrines and atheism but straddles a middle, exploratory ground.
Lol..It does support theism only indirectly because it entertains multiple ideas and as such one can be a theist and a possibilian.The only difference is that one is open minded enough to accommodate new ideas regardless of the views one holds.Possibilianism advocates for noncommittal attitude to mainstream philosophies especially God related ones due to the vastness of our ignorance.
Just as LoJ said, a possibilian is a groper, but one searching blindly in darkness
There ya go..This in my opinion is your take on possibilianism.
Re: Possibilianism by EmperorHarry: 8:15am On Jul 30, 2019
LoJ:

Moreover, it is better to be in darkness and be aware of it, then search for light, than pretending one is in the light to the point of believing it.
Lol..He knows what you meant
Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 9:46am On Jul 30, 2019
LoJ:

We are indeed asked to be as children, which includes blindness, in fact!

1 Share

Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 9:47am On Jul 30, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Correction, possibilianism neither supports theism or religious doctrines and atheism but straddles a middle, exploratory ground. Just as LoJ said, a possibilian is a groper, but one searching blindly in darkness, sometimes indulging in glorified navel gazing

Correction!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 7:16am On Jul 31, 2019
LoJ:
"This is a nice write up. A possibilian as described in this article is also what is called in esoteric circles, a researcher (of Truth)."
- LoJ

Researcher of what type of truth and/or kind of Truth, if I may ask, hmm?

LoJ:
Moreover, it is better to be in darkness and be aware of it...
"9When you come to the land that the LORD your God is giving you, never learn the disgusting practices of those nations.
10You must never sacrifice your sons or daughters by burning them alive, practice black magic, be a fortuneteller, witch, or sorcerer,
11cast spells, ask ghosts or spirits for help, or consult the dead.
12Whoever does these things is disgusting to the LORD. The LORD your God is forcing these nations out of your way because of their disgusting practices.
13You must have integrity [in dealing] with the LORD your God. (i.e. never be guilty of doing any of these disgusting things!)
14These nations you are forcing out listen to fortunetellers and to those who practice black magic. But the LORD your God won't let you do anything like that.
"
- Deuteronomy 18:9-14

"Have nothing to do with the useless works that darkness produces.
Instead, expose them for what they are
"
- Ephesians 5:11

You cannot be doing spiritism and equally be a follower of the true God. What is better, to be in darkness and be aware of it, when without light, you've lost yourself somewhere in the darkness, hmm? No light? So you're groping, and searching blindly in darkness then, erhn?

LoJ:
then search for light than pretending one is in the light to the point of believing it.
"14You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.
15No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.
16In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.
"
- Matthew 5:14-16

A single light can both defy and define darkness. Some dont want to accept that, followers of the true God are light(s) of the world. Jesus actually in John 12:36, said: "As long as you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of light."

1 Like 1 Share

EmperorHarry:
Lol..He knows what you meant
That is why he is firefighting, in quickly putting out flames

EmperorHarry:
Lol..It does support theism only indirectly because it entertains multiple ideas and as such one can be a theist and a possibilian.
That is what straddling means

EmperorHarry:
The only difference is that one is open minded enough to accommodate new ideas regardless of the views one holds. Possibilianism advocates for noncommittal attitude to mainstream philosophies especially God related ones due to the vastness of our ignorance.
There is a lot we all are ignorant about, yet we still are excessively conceited and absorbed in oneself to believe that we are more intelligient, more knowing, more wiser, more better than God

EmperorHarry:
There ya go..This in my opinion is your take on possibilianism.
Not an opinion, but is bare stark nâked fact

1 Like

budaatum:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/9930448_notable00337_jpeg689a553d6072c4cace6cd8e0681fa99f
Correction!
Beware of the Scribes
38And he said unto them in his doctrine,
Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,
39And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:
40Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

The Poor Widow
41And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
42And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
43And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them,
Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living

- Mark 12:38-44 KJV

"My friends, not many of you should become teachers.
As you know, we teachers will be judged with greater strictness than others.
"
- James 3:1

"Well you are the self confessed teacher. I however for very good and obvious James 3:1 above reason, dont parade or profess to be a teacher. I do not teach anybody anything, what I do is put the information out there so as to provoke and make others think. Secondly I don't post information here because I want to convince people who know differently but rather I post to show people who know and are woke, like me that they're not alone"
- Re: How Was The Black African Saved Before Christ - Discussion by MuttleyLaff: 6:17pm On Jan 13

"I am not a teacher nor metatron the first, as kkins25 would jokingly call me, but an awakener."
- Re: Deconstructing The Lies & Myth of Consensual Adult Homosexuality/Same Sex Union by MuttleyLaff: 9:27am On Jun 30

James 3:1, above, is very instructive. You can see from above too, my stance with self confessed teacher(s) and also read from above Mark 12:38-44, how Jesus in that teaching, started with a cautionary advice about teachers:
''Beware of the scribes (i.e. one learned in the Jewish Law, a religious teacher) ....''
Re: Possibilianism by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Hello, I see no relevance in discussing this with you.

Have a great day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 8:38am On Jul 31, 2019
LoJ:
Have a great day.
The feeling is mutual, besides I've already made my point, so have a God and blessed day my dear friend

1 Like

Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 2:27pm On Jul 31, 2019
Yada yada!

MuttleyLaff:
Beware of the Scribes
38And he said unto them in his doctrine,
Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,
39And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:
40Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

The Poor Widow
41And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
42And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
43And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them,
Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living

- Mark 12:38-44 KJV

"My friends, not many of you should become teachers.
As you know, we teachers will be judged with greater strictness than others.
"
- James 3:1

"Well you are the self confessed teacher. I however for very good and obvious James 3:1 above reason, dont parade or profess to be a teacher. I do not teach anybody anything, what I do is put the information out there so as to provoke and make others think. Secondly I don't post information here because I want to convince people who know differently but rather I post to show people who know and are woke, like me that they're not alone"
- Re: How Was The Black African Saved Before Christ - Discussion by MuttleyLaff: 6:17pm On Jan 13

"I am not a teacher nor metatron the first, as kkins25 would jokingly call me, but an awakener."
- Re: Deconstructing The Lies & Myth of Consensual Adult Homosexuality/Same Sex Union by MuttleyLaff: 9:27am On Jun 30

James 3:1, above, is very instructive. You can see from above too, my stance with self confessed teacher(s) and also read from above Mark 12:38-44, how Jesus in that teaching, started with a cautionary advice about teachers:
''Beware of the scribes (i.e. one learned in the Jewish Law, a religious teacher) ....''

Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 2:31pm On Jul 31, 2019
LoJ:

Have a great day.
I see no point even reading him!

1 Like

Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 2:52pm On Jul 31, 2019
budaatum:
Yada yada
Yada yada back to you too. Mtcheeew. I spit on you.

1 Like

Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Yada yada back to you too. Mtcheeew. I spit on you.
While I educate you.

Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 3:12pm On Jul 31, 2019
budaatum:
While I educate you.
Get yourself decorum educated first, then I'll be happy you educate me.
Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 3:15pm On Jul 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Get yourself decorum educated first, then I'll be happy you educate me.
No. Don't learn, please!
Re: Possibilianism by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 31, 2019
LoJ:

Have a great day.
Still waiting for your reply to the questions I asked you some days ago.

Link to the questions: https://www.nairaland.com/5095694/esoteric-paths/5#80687233

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 5:17pm On Jul 31, 2019
budaatum:
No. Don't learn, please!
Smh, most people never read with any intent to understand, they mostly read, only with the intent to reply with sardonic and noxious remarks
Re: Possibilianism by budaatum: 5:32pm On Jul 31, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Smh, most people never read with any intent to understand, they mostly read, only with the intent to reply with sardonic and noxious remarks
Your yadayada deserves way more than "sardonic and noxious". You are not understandable. Too much yadayada distorts what might be a valid informative point so I on the whole ignore it.

Go and read where Paul advised against yadayada if you would not listen to me!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibilianism by MuttleyLaff: 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2019
budaatum:
Your yadayada deserves way more than "sardonic and noxious". You are not understandable. Too much yadayada distorts what might be a valid informative point so I on the whole ignore it.

Go and read where Paul advised against yadayada if you would not listen to me!
"All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin."
- Psalm 56:5

"Paul writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."
- 2 Peter 3:16

"We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand."
- Hebrews 5:11

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Uncle Runs A Motherless Babies Home, But I Don't Like Its Operation / What Spiritual Meaning Does The Presence Of An Owl Holds?? / 9/11 Terrorist Attacks On USA, A Warning From God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.