Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,009 members, 7,799,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience (5756 Views)

Everything To Know About PLAB Exam In Nigeria / Guide To Passing The UK Medical Licensing Exam-plab 2 / PLAB Pathway For Medical Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by qanda: 8:19pm On Jun 24, 2019
This write up is a guide for Nigerian Medical Practitioners who want to continue their practice in the UK.

Upon graduation from Medical School, I was eager to contribute my quota to the Nigerian health sector. Few months in practice, my hunger to serve Nigerians was replaced by another type of hunger; the hunger to continue my medical practice abroad, this was after experiencing over 9 months nonpayment of salary, governments lack of commitment to the health sector and the outdated equipment available to majority of Nigerian doctors. I developed a global mindset of pursuing personal development and contributing to the global health sector - the world is now a global village.

I searched the internet about the available options and learnt about PLAB, a two-part assessment exam that international medical graduates from outside the European Economic area and Switzerland are required to pass before they can legally practice medicine in the UK. The exam is conducted by the General Medical Council of the United Kingdom.

Passing the IELTS exam is a prerequisite to writing the PLAB exam. IELTS is a test of English Language proficiency. It is designed to assess the language ability of non-native speakers who intend to study or work in the UK. The IELTS requirement for PLAB is a band score of 7.5 (not less than 7 in each of the exam modules – writing, speaking, listening and reading). To prepare for IELTS, I used materials from IELTS online, IELTS buddy, IELTS Cambridge. IELTS Cambridge materials are available on the video section of Q and A App.

After passing my IELTS exam, I registered a General Medical Council (GMC) account on the GMC website to secure a reference number. After securing a reference number, I registered for the PLAB 1 exam. In Nigeria, the PLAB 1 exam is written in March and November in five cities including Abuja, Enugu and Lagos. The pass rate (cut of mark) for the exam is dependent on the average performance on the day you sit for the exams.

After passing the PLAB 1 exams, I registered for the PLAB 2 exams in Manchester. It is a bit tasking to secure a VISA for this exam especially if you do not have a sponsor, but its not impossible. Drawing from my experience, you’d need to maintain a healthy bank account over a 6 – 7 months period. A healthy account means that you receive a regular monthly payment in your account from a legit source, one you can explain and maintain a minimum balance of NGN800,000. The account should have minimum withdrawals.

I did not subscribe to the services of any agent to process my VISA, it was when I got to Manchester I discovered that a majority of the other participants from Nigeria secured their VISA with the service or guidance of an agent. Whether to use an agent or go about obtaining the Visa yourself is a choice.

The PLAB 2 exam is quite costly and should be well planned. There are a number of tutors for the PLAB 2 exams, they include Samson, Swamy, Hammed….. I understand that Samson now has presence in Lagos, Nigeria. This is a good development for Nigerian doctors, you can save a reasonable amount of money on accommodation by enrolling with samson in Nigeria as against traveling to Manchester – you will eventually need to travel to Manchester to sit for the exams. Note that the PLAB 2 test is not a written exam. It is a practical exam that tests for your listening skills and how you empathize with patients. Again, the pass rate is determined by the average performance of the participants.

To give you an idea of the cost of the exams, note that this is a guide as at the time I wrote my exams (2018-2019).
IELTS – NGN 75,000
PLAB 1 – NGN 196,000
PLAB 2 – NGN 395,000
Visa fees – NGN 120,000 for priority, NGN45,000 for Regular.
Flight ticket - this depends on your choice of airline and vary from time to time.
Accommodation in Manchester, I spent about NGN255,000 (one month period)

The materials I used in preparing for the exams would be available on Q and A App. I will also share how I secured employment on my Q and A App account. I encourage you to install the App from Google Playstore. If you have any questions for me, use the comment section.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 24, 2019
Good write-up. Very instructive and educative.
Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by qanda: 10:03pm On Jun 24, 2019
kaorama:
Good write-up. Very instructive and educative.
Thank you
Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by Evonne1: 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2019
Hi!, I am a Nigerian Medical doctor (just qualified!) looking to join the foundation programme in the UK, in order to practice (housemanship). I plan to take the PLAB 1 exams this November, from your experience, please is it worth joining a course to prep for plab 1 or is it something that can be done on my own. Also, what was your study plan like roughly, just to have an idea? (e.g how many hours per day, how many weeks/months and materials covered). Thank you so much! grin

qanda:
This write up is a guide for Nigerian Medical Practitioners who want to continue their practice in the UK.

Upon graduation from Medical School, I was eager to contribute my quota to the Nigerian health sector. Few months in practice, my hunger to serve Nigerians was replaced by another type of hunger; the hunger to continue my medical practice abroad, this was after experiencing over 9 months nonpayment of salary, governments lack of commitment to the health sector and the outdated equipment available to majority of Nigerian doctors. I developed a global mindset of pursuing personal development and contributing to the global health sector - the world is now a global village.

I searched the internet about the available options and learnt about PLAB, a two-part assessment exam that international medical graduates from outside the European Economic area and Switzerland are required to pass before they can legally practice medicine in the UK. The exam is conducted by the General Medical Council of the United Kingdom.

Passing the IELTS exam is a prerequisite to writing the PLAB exam. IELTS is a test of English Language proficiency. It is designed to assess the language ability of non-native speakers who intend to study or work in the UK. The IELTS requirement for PLAB is a band score of 7.5 (not less than 7 in each of the exam modules – writing, speaking, listening and reading). To prepare for IELTS, I used materials from IELTS online, IELTS buddy, IELTS Cambridge. IELTS Cambridge materials are available on the video section of Q and A App.

After passing my IELTS exam, I registered a General Medical Council (GMC) account on the GMC website to secure a reference number. After securing a reference number, I registered for the PLAB 1 exam. In Nigeria, the PLAB 1 exam is written in March and November in five cities including Abuja, Enugu and Lagos. The pass rate (cut of mark) for the exam is dependent on the average performance on the day you sit for the exams.

After passing the PLAB 1 exams, I registered for the PLAB 2 exams in Manchester. It is a bit tasking to secure a VISA for this exam especially if you do not have a sponsor, but its not impossible. Drawing from my experience, you’d need to maintain a healthy bank account over a 6 – 7 months period. A healthy account means that you receive a regular monthly payment in your account from a legit source, one you can explain and maintain a minimum balance of NGN800,000. The account should have minimum withdrawals.

I did not subscribe to the services of any agent to process my VISA, it was when I got to Manchester I discovered that a majority of the other participants from Nigeria secured their VISA with the service or guidance of an agent. Whether to use an agent or go about obtaining the Visa yourself is a choice.

The PLAB 2 exam is quite costly and should be well planned. There are a number of tutors for the PLAB 2 exams, they include Samson, Swamy, Hammed….. I understand that Samson now has presence in Lagos, Nigeria. This is a good development for Nigerian doctors, you can save a reasonable amount of money on accommodation by enrolling with samson in Nigeria as against traveling to Manchester – you will eventually need to travel to Manchester to sit for the exams. Note that the PLAB 2 test is not a written exam. It is a practical exam that tests for your listening skills and how you empathize with patients. Again, the pass rate is determined by the average performance of the participants.

To give you an idea of the cost of the exams, note that this is a guide as at the time I wrote my exams (2018-2019).
IELTS – NGN 75,000
PLAB 1 – NGN 196,000
PLAB 2 – NGN 395,000
Flight ticket - this depends on your choice of airline and vary from time to time.

The materials I used in preparing for the exams would be available on Q and A App. I will also share how I secured employment on my Q and A App account. I encourage you to install the App from Google Playstore. If you have any questions for me, use the comment section.

1 Like

Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by drskyfly007(m): 3:57pm On Jul 29, 2019
GOD bless you for this write up...following you closely.

1 Like

Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by TONYE001(m): 10:17am On Oct 04, 2019
Hello chiefs, greetings.

Please I need professional counsel.

First, my background.

1. I'm a 4th year medical student. Married for five years now with two boys.

2. I have a B. Sc (second class upper) in Human Physiology (2012) and an M. Sc in the same field (2017). I've already done the compulsory National Service (2013/2014).

3. I am 30 years old.

4. My wife has a B. Sc in Human Anatomy (2012) and an M. Sc in Public Health (2017). She has four years work experience in the NGO sector.

Please my chiefs and seniors,
My primary focus is to move my family abroad. Yesterday, a senior friend of mine told me about PLAB...and the possibility of moving them over through this pathway.

I really don't want to waste any extra second. I want to ensure I get done with this process in the shortest possible time. At the moment, I'm even considering starting my attempts next year (my fifth year). This is where I need your counsel. Is the fifth year too early to start attempting? I'm considering how hectic house job is, don't know how one would have the time to study for the exams and all. Would my certificates give me any extra advantage?

Secondly, what advantage would my wife's qualifications offer? My senior friend mentioned that if she manages to find her way to nursing, her advantages would be enormous....even if she does Post Basic Nursing. Does she need to go that far?

Lastly, when I cross to the UK, how soon can I move them over?

I read that if I practice for a year in the UK, I can make it to Australia (my main target). Is this still true? Have their been any changes in recent times?

Finally, how can I access a residency program soonest? Is writing PLAB and all just for practicing overseas?

Thanks sirs and ma'ams.

1 Like

Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by qanda: 4:44pm On Dec 31, 2019
Evonne1:
Hi!, I am a Nigerian Medical doctor (just qualified!) looking to join the foundation programme in the UK, in order to practice (housemanship). I plan to take the PLAB 1 exams this November, from your experience, please is it worth joining a course to prep for plab 1 or is it something that can be done on my own. Also, what was your study plan like roughly, just to have an idea? (e.g how many hours per day, how many weeks/months and materials covered). Thank you so much! grin

Apologies for the delayed response. I guess you have written your exam.

The response provided by the author of the article is in quote below

"He can study for PLAB one on his own. He will need 3 months of commitment"
Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by qanda: 4:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
TONYE001:
Hello chiefs, greetings.

Please I need professional counsel.

First, my background.

1. I'm a 4th year medical student. Married for five years now with two boys.

2. I have a B. Sc (second class upper) in Human Physiology (2012) and an M. Sc in the same field (2017). I've already done the compulsory National Service (2013/2014).

3. I am 30 years old.

4. My wife has a B. Sc in Human Anatomy (2012) and an M. Sc in Public Health (2017). She has four years work experience in the NGO sector.

Please my chiefs and seniors,
My primary focus is to move my family abroad. Yesterday, a senior friend of mine told me about PLAB...and the possibility of moving them over through this pathway.

I really don't want to waste any extra second. I want to ensure I get done with this process in the shortest possible time. At the moment, I'm even considering starting my attempts next year (my fifth year). This is where I need your counsel. Is the fifth year too early to start attempting? I'm considering how hectic house job is, don't know how one would have the time to study for the exams and all. Would my certificates give me any extra advantage?

Secondly, what advantage would my wife's qualifications offer? My senior friend mentioned that if she manages to find her way to nursing, her advantages would be enormous....even if she does Post Basic Nursing. Does she need to go that far?

Lastly, when I cross to the UK, how soon can I move them over?

I read that if I practice for a year in the UK, I can make it to Australia (my main target). Is this still true? Have their been any changes in recent times?

Finally, how can I access a residency program soonest? Is writing PLAB and all just for practicing overseas?

Thanks sirs and ma'ams.

See below quote for response provided by the author

"He can't write PLAB till he is done with medicine
and housemanship.

I dont think the wife will need to go into nursing to get a job.

About moving family at once ,it depends on his pocket (All money matter)

PLAB will give you the opportunity to go into training (Residency)

Moving to Australia from here is what people do too"

1 Like

Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by TONYE001(m): 6:29pm On Dec 31, 2019
qanda:

See below quote for response provided by the author

"He can't write PLAB till he is done with medicine
and housemanship.

I dont think the wife will need to go into nursing to get a job.

About moving family at once ,it depends on his pocket (All money matter)

PLAB will give you the opportunity to go into training (Residency)

Moving to Australia from here is what people do too"

Thank you very, very much.
Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by ocpaschal: 2:35am On Jun 28, 2021
qanda:

IELTS – NGN 75,000
PLAB 1 – NGN 196,000
PLAB 2 – NGN 395,000

pls my cousin who recently studied medicine and graduated this year June 2021 at Ukraine wants to travel direct to UK through UK student visa by applying and getting admission in a British university for a Masters program in Public Health. While Studying masters in Britain, he plans to seek provisional license, Internship and write PLAB 1&2 Exams in a step by step procedure at UK. Please is this pattern or means an advisable path or legit to follow? Pls enlighten me. He just graduated on medicine course, and he doesn't have experience in clinical nor internship practice but wants to seek them too in UK after he gets admitted to a University to study Masters in Public heath. Pls your advise

1 Like

Re: From Nigeria To Europe – My PLAB Experience by jaephoenix(m): 6:43pm On Sep 11, 2023
qanda:

IELTS – NGN 75,000
PLAB 1 – NGN 196,000
PLAB 2 – NGN 395,000

I recently passed my IELTS, do you have an idea of the current PLAB 1 fees

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Why Youths Should Be Encouraged To Be More Involved In Entrepreneurship / Minimum Wage: Ogun Workers To Start 2-Day Warning Strike On Thursday / Why N80,000 For ICAN Induction Ceremony.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.