Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,247 members, 7,780,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:37 PM

I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER (12472 Views)

See The Dog I Bought For 50K (pix) / Finally Got A Wild Bird As Pet (Photos) / Just Got A Caucasian Shepherd Dog. I Need Tips. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 24, 2019
September last year, robbers came to my house.
I live in Rumuigbo, Port Harcourt.

They entered my house with my daughter and wife and sister in law in the house.

By God's grace, I was able to fight back (they were just 2 of them, one with a gun and the other a knife) and chased them out of he house. In the process, while fighting with the one with the gun, the second personpicked some phones and they both escaped. The gun didn't shoot despite several attempts by the robber to shoot,. He was confident it will so he didn't run initially until it failed repeatedly.

These people picked my locks, entered the house quietly. I only realised their presence when they woke me up.

I won't even wish my enemy this experience. Till yesterday night my wife hasn't overcome the trauma. I kept telling myself that if I had a dog, not necessarily to protect, there's no way someone will jump into the compound, walk around, pick lock, enter the house .......I would have been alerted by the dogs barks.
You will not understand how it feels to be woken up by robbers.i don't think I'll ever forget it for the rest of my life.

I decided I MUST GET A DOG

I put a post on nairaland to ask a couple of questions about getting a dog. I have contacted numerous dog sellers and kennels. In fact I've almost been scammed numerous times. Most people have dogs crossed and bred with local dogs with headings like "full breed ....." with exorbitant amounts.

I don't have the funds to get a full breed dog. I thought of importing from europuppy. The cost is beyond what I can afford in one payment.

I don't want a dog mixed with a local free range dog
I've lived with them in the past. I don't want that.

I WANT A BEAST. I WANT A DEADLY BEAST. so when working overtime and nights at work my wife doesn't have to call me every hour that she heard a sound outside the house.

I don't want a dog that will run for it's own life when shit hits the fan.

After months of research, I've settled for a Caucasian, Rottweiler, Presa Canario, Cane Corso or ...Boerboel.
Not really a fan of boerboel though. I need something scary that scares people just from it's looks alone.

Prevention (deterance) is better than defense

Unfortunately to get a full breed is very very expensive .

PLEASE...PLEASE....PLEASE

Is there anybody open to receiving monthly payments until I complete payment for a FULL BREED WICKED BEAST OF A DOG?

It should just scare people with Its looks... that's all.

Ps: I can't move out. The neighbourhood isn't exactly dangerous and also it's my family compound where I don't have to pay rent so... moving out isn't an option. This is the first robbery in more than 15 years. But the economy so .....

I work in a reputable and recognised organisation so ...I'm actually credit worthy but shelling out bulk cash at once for a FULL BREED isn't easy for me.

Any person open to this? Please help�

@Lalasticlala I wish this can bit front page.

It's actually urgent.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Aliencraft(m): 8:58pm On Jun 24, 2019
You have already made you decision..
But what you really need is God's protection and not Dog's protection.
@Op try to relocate...I no say u bin talk say u no 1 relocate o but abeggiii dat ur area No dey safe.

No go buy beast wey go chop you o..Cuz u don dey sound way too desperate.

3 Likes

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by PeraGSD: 9:13pm On Jun 24, 2019
iamnen:

By God's grace, I was able to fight back (they were just 2 of them, one with a gun and the other a knife) and chased them out of he house. In the process, while fighting with the one with the gun, the second personpicked some phones and they both escaped. The gun didn't shoot despite several attempts by the robber to shoot,. He was confident it will so he didn't run initially until it failed repeatedly.

These people picked my locks, entered the house quietly. I only realised their presence when they woke me up.

I won't even wish my enemy this experience. Till yesterday night my wife hasn't overcome the trauma. I kept telling myself that if I had a dog, not necessarily to protect, there's no way someone will jump into the compound, walk around, pick lock, enter the house .......I would have been alerted by the dogs barks.
You will not understand how it feels to be woken up by robbers.i don't think I'll ever forget it for the rest of my life.

I was naked. My wife was naked. Inside my bedroom.

I put a post on nairaland to ask a couple of questions about getting a dog. I have contacted numerous dog sellers and kennels. In fact I've almost been scammed numerous times. Most people have dogs crossed and bred with local dogs with headings like "full breed ....." with exorbitant amounts.

I don't have the funds to get a full breed dog. I thought of importing from europuppy. The cost is beyond what I can afford in one payment.

I WANT A BEAST. I WANT A DEADLY BEAST. so when working overtime and nights at work my wife doesn't have to call me every hour that she heard a sound outside the house.

After months of research, I've settled for a Caucasian, Rottweiler, Presa Canario, Cane Corso or ...Boerboel.
Not really a fan of boerboel though. I need something scary that scares people just from it's looks alone.

Is there anybody open to receiving monthly payments until I complete payment for a FULL BREED WICKED BEAST OF A DOG?

Ps: I can't move out. The neighbourhood isn't exactly dangerous and also it's my family compound where I don't have to pay rent so... moving out isn't an option. This is the first robbery in more than 15 years. But the economy so .....

I work in a reputable and recognised organisation so ...I'm actually credit worthy but shelling out bulk cash at once for a FULL BREED isn't easy for me.

It's actually urgent.

We feel you. We just wish to add that as you get a dog you may add a budget for training if you end up with a good physical package in terms of a deterent look and right temperament. A well trained dog that will know how to react to such situations is a plus.

Finally, you may consider two dogs. Two dogs in combination on a security patrol are a beauty to watch in collaboration.

PS: If we had your spec in terms of breed and expected temperament we would have gladly considered your staggered payment proposal. Wish you and your family all the best.

3 Likes

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Spanishmilf(m): 1:38am On Jun 25, 2019
iamnen:

I was naked. My wife was naked. Inside my bedroom.

It's actually urgent.

Go for German Shepard, Rottweiler and pitbull and u are safe don't buy German sherperd alone and one dog doesn't garauntee your safety
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 2:46am On Jun 25, 2019
Aliencraft:
@Op try to relocate...I no say u bin talk say u no 1 relocate o but abeggiii dat ur area No dey safe.

Thanks bro
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 25, 2019
PeraGSD:

We feel you. We just wish to add that as you get a dog you may add a budget for training if you end up with a good physical package in terms of a deterent look and right temperament. A well trained dog that will know how to react to such situations is a plus.

Finally, you may consider two dogs. Two dogs in combination on a security patrol are a beauty to watch in collaboration.

PS: If we had your spec in terms of breed and expected temperament we would have gladly considered your staggered payment proposal. Wish you and your family all the best.

Thanks sir. Appreciate it.

With respect to the training, in all the research I've done I've come across "obedience training" but it's mostly on foreign websites I see that, haven't really come across any Nigerian post that talks about it.

Any ideas where they are done? In portharcourt?

Thanks
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by welzyj2(m): 7:22am On Jun 25, 2019
Spanishmilf:
Go for German Shepard, Rottweiler and pitbull and u are safe don't buy German sherperd alone and one dog doesn't garauntee your safety

Remove pitbull bros....the breed ain't meant to guard homes.

@OP since you can cater for two dog's a gsd and Maligator, or gsd and rott isn't a bad idea.

@Logadims stays around port Harcourt. You can check with him for links to good breeders in your environ.
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 25, 2019
Spanishmilf:

Three dogs might be a handful for me o.
But I think I understand the concept.

Gsd: Barks a lot, alerts everyone of intruders (watch dog)
Rottweiler & Pit: Attack dogs

I've observed gsds bark a lot. At everything. Which is good in a way but, when most are false alarms, when the dog barks every single night at cats, birds, every sound heard, how do you know when there's a real threat?

This is one of the reasons why i decided against a gsd. Just yesterday before making this post, I visited someone I met online who had gsds for sale and had sent me pics. When I physically visited his kennel it was a completely different dog I saw and maybe it's the people I'm meeting or maybe since I'm not exactly in the dog circle, all the dogs I'm seeing are mixed and mixed it's even difficult to understand what breed exactly you are getting.

I hope I'm not being unnecessarily moral or righteous but I wonder if these doesn't have negative effects on dogs health.

I hope I'm not ranting I'm just exhausted

1 Like

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 25, 2019
PeraGSD:

Thanks again
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 25, 2019
Spanishmilf:

Actually no dog will guarantee my safety. Eventually it's only God that saves us, especially in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 25, 2019
Aliencraft:

Only God protects.
I'm not desperate o. The robbery was September last year, this is June.
I'm putting lots into consideration before making any decisions

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by welzyj2(m): 7:56am On Jun 25, 2019
iamnen:

op with reference to your write up, the breed you need is definitely not a pitbull.
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by PeraGSD: 8:36am On Jun 25, 2019
We may have a bias for GSD but if you asked us to have a say ill advise a combo of two dogs a GSD and another maybe rott or boerbel. Yes the GSD have a penchant for alerting with time you'd get the experience to know there's a problem with just one bark. On the only two occasions I've ever experienced intruders into my space. I woke up from sleep with the bark and i new immediately there was a stranger in the compound that night. I was right.

We hope you make the right decisions
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 25, 2019
i agree sir

welzyj2:

op with reference to your write up, the breed you need is definitely not a pitbull.

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 25, 2019
PeraGSD:
ill advise a combo of two dogs a GSD and another maybe rott or boerbel.

ok thank you. i hope i see someone who can agree to the terms
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 25, 2019
PeraGSD:
Yes the GSD have a penchant for alerting with time you'd get the experience to know there's a problem with just one bark. On the only two occasions I've ever experienced intruders into my space. I woke up from sleep with the bark and i new immediately there was a stranger in the compound that night. I was right.

We hope you make the right decisions

you are right. someone who owns the dog will actually be able to tell with time

also hope no harm was done when your space was intruded
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by vincentjk(m): 10:54am On Jun 25, 2019
Op i understand exactly what you need

Get one or two full breed boerboel, raise them well and then see the outcome. Out of all the breeds you mentioned, none is scarier and mean like boerboel is

I owned one but died unfortunately but I'm getting another (pedigree) in about 3months time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by PeraGSD: 11:50am On Jun 25, 2019
iamnen:

you are right. someone who owns the dog will actually be able to tell with time

also hope no harm was done when your space was intruded

The first time i lived in a compound with 10 apartments. Mine was apartment 9. They got into 1-7 and left. My GSD stood firm in front on my entrance. They didn't cross over. Next time was when a security guard from a neighbours compound jumped into ours as he had escaped from being tied up by the robbers. Jumping into our compound was his best option. My GSD gave the warning bark. My eyes opened and i knew there's an intruder in the compound. Only that this time it was a friendly intruder as he shouted his name and why he jumped into the compound. My then GSD was loved by everyone as he and the security guard patrol the compound at night.

5 Likes

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 25, 2019
PeraGSD:

The first time i lived in a compound with 10 apartments. Mine was apartment 9. They got into 1-7 and left. My GSD stood firm in front on my entrance. They didn't cross over. Next time was when a security guard from a neighbours compound jumped into ours as he had escaped from being tied up by the robbers. Jumping into our compound was his best option. My GSD gave the warning bark. My eyes opened and i knew there's an intruder in the compound. Only that this time it was a friendly intruder as he shouted his name and why he jumped into the compound. My then GSD was loved by everyone as he and the security guard patrol the compound at night.

awesome. this is awesome
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
vincentjk:
Op i understand exactly what you need

Get one or two full breed boerboel, raise them well and then see the outcome. Out of all the breeds you mentioned, none is scarier and mean like boerboel is

I owned one but died unfortunately but I'm getting another (pedigree) in about 3months time

do you have a pic of the one you owned?

where/who are you getting from in 3 months?
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by IamAnderson(m): 3:13pm On Jun 25, 2019
if you want an "intimidating beast" a gsd is not your best option.
it is good at barking and raising alarm but to be honest it's not the most intimidating dog.
my advice is for you to go for a rott, boerbel, cane corso or Caucasian Shepherd.
these dogs are both intimidating to look at and very good strong guard dogs.
only the barks of these dogs will make people reconsider before entering your compound again, plus if it resorts to a face-off with the intruders, these dogs can deliver deadly damage to any body that tries to harm your family.
the confidence of the dog depends on how you train them so I'd advice you to research about these breeds and how to take care of and train them before buying.
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by IamAnderson(m): 3:41pm On Jun 25, 2019
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by IamAnderson(m): 3:43pm On Jun 25, 2019
me personally I prefer Caucasian shepherds because of their size,strength, aggression, guard instincts and independence.
also they make good family dogs, they are wonderful and friendly around family but aggressive towards strangers.
mine plays with everybody in the house and you'll never even believe he can harm anybody until he's ready to break your fingers with his chain to attack an intruder grin
it's my choice sha, I don't want to be biased and use my preference to make you buy a dog of my choice.(I can see someone is already suggesting pitbull as a guard dog and gsd as an "intimidating beast" )
I suggest you do your own research about guard dogs and their characteristics, that way you'll be able to pick the most suitable for you.
and also read up about them very well before buying one.
goodluck
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by rumenase(m): 10:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
Aliencraft:

dogs don't eat people
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by rumenase(m): 10:04pm On Jun 25, 2019
Spanishmilf:
pit bull has zero human aggression
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by rumenase(m): 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2019
if you need a dog that scares people with looks get a Neapolitan mastiff although I prefer boerboels, German shepherd is my first love but they bark too much.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Aliencraft(m): 11:10pm On Jun 25, 2019
rumenase:
dogs don't eat people
He said he wants a beast..
And yes, dogs that are completely beast do kill.
Kindly see the picture attached.

Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Spanishmilf(m): 1:25am On Jun 26, 2019
iamnen:

I've observed gsds bark a lot. At everything. Which is good in a way but, when most are false alarms, when the dog barks every single night at cats, birds, every sound heard, how do you know when there's a real threat?

This is one of the reasons why i decided against a gsd. Just yesterday before making this post, I visited someone I met online who had gsds for sale and had sent me pics. When I physically visited his kennel it was a completely different dog I saw and maybe it's the people I'm meeting or maybe since I'm not exactly in the dog circle, all the dogs I'm seeing are mixed and mixed it's even difficult to understand what breed exactly you are getting.

I hope I'm not being unnecessarily moral or righteous but I wonder if these doesn't have negative effects on dogs health.

I hope I'm not ranting I'm just exhausted
it difficult to see. Full breed gsd and a full breed Rottweiler this days....I will advise u to go for predigree
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by Spanishmilf(m): 1:26am On Jun 26, 2019
rumenase:
if you need a dog that scares people with looks get a Neapolitan mastiff although I prefer boerboels, German shepherd is my first love but they bark too much.
don't think Neapolitan mastiff attack, and all d boerboel have seen in my life are not aggressive Gsd barks a lot tho
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by rumenase(m): 5:28am On Jun 26, 2019
Spanishmilf:
don't think Neapolitan mastiff attack, and all d boerboel have seen in my life are not aggressive Gsd barks a lot tho
I suggested based on what OP said a dog that will deter intruders just by looking at it and Neapolitan mastiffs attack I have never owned one but I have two very close friends with Neapolitan mastiffs. Boerboels can be aggressive when necessary and they don't fail to take action when necessary
Re: I Need A Dog - I GOT A DOG, HIS NAME IS RANGER by rumenase(m): 5:29am On Jun 26, 2019
Aliencraft:
He said he wants a beast.. And yes, dogs that are completely beast do kill. Kindly see the picture attached.
dogs don't eat people

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rabbits For Sale At An Affordable Prices / DMX Arrested Again In Underground Pit Bull Dog Fighting Bust / EKUKE- The Canine Outcaste

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.