Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,488 members, 7,801,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) (22568 Views)

NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots / Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year / Carlos Vela Beats Ibrahimovic To 2019 MLS MVP Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by martineverest(m): 12:15pm On Jun 25, 2019
Chukwurah003:

It was a mistake by the Greek authorities
u think so?....what about the 'gianni'?
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abbey621(m): 12:19pm On Jun 25, 2019
zinizta:

so what is your point exactly?

@ the bolded,Nope, Angola and Liberia Mostly

My point is that it is easy to claim Nigerian descendant due to the law of probability. Also you're wrong, Angola and Liberia don't even crack the top 5.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/14/african-immigrant-population-in-u-s-steadily-climbs/
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by forgiveness: 12:20pm On Jun 25, 2019
abbey621:

90% of African Americans born in America don't really know their heritage. Where does Trinidad & Yoruba mix? Here's another quote from him "My forebears were Yoruba people, from present day Nigeria". He said he learnt this from his father and he learned from his father but there is no proof. Nigeria being the most popular and dominating demographics of Africans in the USA, it's no wonder DNA analysis and research shows basketball legend Kareem Abdul-Jabar and the famed Harvard historian, Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. are descendants of Yorubas but how confident are you in DNA research that shows that a person is 10 to 15% Nigerian and likely Yoruba?

My great grandfather was stolen and sold abroad as a slave in the 18th century but he still managed to find his way back to Nigeria.

How did he know his origin and came back home through the help of a slave merchant?

At least, you have agreed that 10% knows their origin and Abdul Jabber's father who went to America in the 18th century belongs to this category of those who knew their heritage.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by zinizta: 12:25pm On Jun 25, 2019
abbey621:

My point is that it is easy to claim Nigerian descendant due to the law of probability. Also you're wrong, Angola and Liberia don't even crack the top 5.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/14/african-immigrant-population-in-u-s-steadily-climbs/

are we talking slaves and region they were taken? or Immigrants

my advice to you is stop shifting the goal post in an argument... it does not make you look as smart as you think... you mentioned a slave descendant and then proceed to post a link on immigrants...common men!!!

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abbey621(m): 12:26pm On Jun 25, 2019
forgiveness:

My great grandfather was stolen and sold abroad as a slave in the 18th century but he still managed to find his way back to Nigeria.

How did he know his origin and came back home through the help of a slave merchant?

At least, you have agreed that 10% knows their origin and Abdul Jabber's father who went to America in the 18th century belongs to this category of those who knew their heritage.

But Jabber's father was not a slave. If he went to the US in the 18th century, that is the year 1900 and beyond, slavery ended already(1865). The more likely scenario was that Jabber's great grandfather was brought to the U.S as a slave and the stories were passed down from generations but where does Trinidad & Yoruba correlate?
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by zinizta: 12:27pm On Jun 25, 2019
forgiveness:

true, i know Yorubas that came back home from Brazil....mostly based in Lagos state...some stayed bac in Cuba,Trinidad&Tobago, Brazil, England etc

Samuel ajayi-crowther, the man who translate the Bible to Yoruba,Igbo languages etc came back too...Herbert Macaulay...all Yorubas

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abbey621(m): 12:29pm On Jun 25, 2019
zinizta:

are we talking slaves and region they were taken? or Immigrants

my advice to you is stop shifting the goal post in an argument... it does not make you look as smart as you think... you mentioned a slave descendant and then proceed to post a link on immigrants...common men!!!

I suggest you look before you leap and stop this tomfoolery! This is what you responded to and highlighted in bold:

Nigeria being the most popular and dominating demographics of Africans in the USA

So what are you arguing here? Not once did I mention slaves to you, I'm talking about present demographics. Wake up!
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nostradamus:
this guy can't shoot,also he seem weak with his ballhandling. Victor oladipo seems to be a better shooter and handler than him. Who among the two will you prefer to play for Nigeria(don't consider oladipo's injuries)?

It's highly unlikely that Giannis will play for Nigeria, I think he already represented Greece at Senior international level.

Giannis is a better paint player, it's just that he can't shoot. He's a star bro

Victor Oladipo all the way, he can shoot, pass and has deft moves.

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by zinizta: 12:31pm On Jun 25, 2019
abbey621:

I suggest you look before you leap and stop this tomfoolery! This is what you responded to and highlighted in bold:

So what are you arguing here? Not once did I mention slaves to you, I'm talking about present demographics. Wake up!

Oga you mentioned Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, didn't you?
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by zinizta: 12:32pm On Jun 25, 2019
Lucid1:

It's highly unlikely that Giannis will play for Nigeria, I think he already represented Greece at Senior international level.

Giannis is a better paint player, it's just that he can't shoot. He's a star bro

Obvious Nostradamus does not follow Basketball

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abbey621(m): 12:34pm On Jun 25, 2019
zinizta:

Oga you mentioned Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, didn't you?

So?
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Nostradamus: 12:39pm On Jun 25, 2019
Lucid1:

so in short, you enjoy watching oladipo more?even me too, I always feel he's better than giannis. The pacers will be stronger next season(hopefully he doesn't get injured).they might even make the Eastern Conference finals sef.the trio of Victor, turner and sabonis will be too hot for opponents.

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by forgiveness: 12:40pm On Jun 25, 2019
abbey621:

But Jabber's father was not a slave. If he went to the US in the 18th century, that is the year 1900 and beyond, slavery ended already(1865). The more likely scenario was that Jabber's great grandfather was brought to the U.S as a slave and the stories were passed down from generations but where does Trinidad & Yoruba correlate?

My family was brought to America by a French planter named Alcindor, who came here from Trinidad in the 18th century. My people were Yoruba, and their culture survived slavery...

Why was his name changed to Alcindor?

Yourbas rely mostly on oral history till date.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by forgiveness: 12:42pm On Jun 25, 2019
zinizta:

true, i know Yorubas that came back home from Brazil....mostly based in Lagos state...some stayed bac in Cuba,Trinidad&Tobago, Brazil, England etc

Samuel ajayi-crowther, the man who translate the Bible to Yoruba,Igbo languages etc came back too...Herbert Macaulay...all Yorubas

Many came back and that's the reason you hear many families bear foreign surnames in Lagos.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abbey621(m): 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2019
forgiveness:

My family was brought to America by a French planter named Alcindor, who came here from Trinidad in the 18th century. My people were Yoruba, and their culture survived slavery...

Why was his name changed to Alcindor?

Yourbas rely mostly on oral history till date.

His name was not changed to Alcindor, he was born that way. He was born in 1947 in New York City. Slavery ended in the U.S around 1865, almost 90 years ago, so his father more than likely was also not a slave.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by forgiveness: 12:50pm On Jun 25, 2019
abbey621:

His name was not changed to Alcindor, he was born that way. He was born in 1947 in New York City. Slavery ended in the U.S around 1865, almost 90 years ago, so his father more than likely was also not a slave.

I am taking about his great grandfather. He was a slave.

Oral history is what the Yorubas use to narrate their history.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Rolings: 12:58pm On Jun 25, 2019
Magnifico2000:
[s]Nigeria has lot it. Everyone is trying to leave this country.
He even changed his name to atetokounmpo instead of Adetokunbo. Our past and present leaders have failed us.
God help us.

So the passport officers made a mistake in speaking his name and he continued bearing that name. It is fine. I wonder what my Greek name would be[/s].
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nostradamus:
so in short, you enjoy watching oladipo more?even me too, I always feel he's better than giannis. The pacers will be stronger next season(hopefully he doesn't get injured).they might even make the Eastern Conference finals sef.the trio of Victor, turner and sabonis will be too hot for opponents.

The Pacers finished the season strong, I remember one of their games when they ran through the Lakers like it was a mere practice session. Post season they were awful and VicOladipo would've given them a lot of depth if he wasn't injured, I hope he stays fit next season. He was the most improved player in 2018. He'll go places for sure.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by zinizta: 1:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nostradamus:
this guy can't shoot,also he seem weak with his ballhandling. Victor oladipo seems to be a better shooter and handler than him. Who among the two will you prefer to play for Nigeria(don't consider oladipo's injuries)?

oya knock yourself out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjzAwCKZhY0
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Magnifico2000: 1:14pm On Jun 25, 2019
[quote author=Rolings post=79655452][/quote]
Why did you cancel my own opinion.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abbey621(m): 1:17pm On Jun 25, 2019
forgiveness:

I am taking about his great grandfather. He was a slave.

Oral history is what the Yorubas use to narrate their history.

Yea his great grandfather was probably a slave but it still does not support the Yoruba theory. Many African countries use oral medium to tell their story.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Rolings: 2:01pm On Jun 25, 2019
Magnifico2000:

Why did you cancel my own opinion.

cos its trash
feel free to cancel my poinion
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abuja2019: 2:17pm On Jun 25, 2019
nice one

Anyway for your...

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Carlmax(m): 2:33pm On Jun 25, 2019
crazyABO:
Lol Nigerians like to attach sha grin his not Nigerian by birth just by blood tongue if he was in Nigeria he wouldnt have probably won that, when everything is about favoritism angry

He is Nigerian by birth... Both his parents are Nigerians so it does not matter if he is born in Mars. He is Nigerian by our law.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2019
Wow.. Great news. Congrats
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by Willzkid(m): 2:45pm On Jun 25, 2019
forgiveness:
The third basketballer of Nigerian heritage to win it after Kareem Abdul Jabber and Hakeem Olajunwon. cool
Kareem is not a Nigerian. His real name is Lew Alcindor. He only adopted a Muslim name after conversion like Mohammed Ali did.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by forgiveness: 6:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
Willzkid:

Kareem is not a Nigerian. His real name is Lew Alcindor. He only adopted a Muslim name after conversion like Mohammed Ali did.

He changed his name because he knew his origin as Nigerian.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by forgiveness: 6:56pm On Jun 25, 2019
abbey621:

Yea his great grandfather was probably a slave but it still does not support the Yoruba theory. Many African countries use oral medium to tell their story.

That's your own personal opinion. Oral medium is still what Yorubas rely on to trace where dey came from.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by abbey621(m): 7:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
forgiveness:

That's your own personal opinion. Oral medium is still what Yorubas rely on to trace where dey came from.

Did I dispute that with you? Why can't you also admit that plenty of African tribes also use oral medium? So why do you think it is unique only to Yorubas?
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by forgiveness: 7:15pm On Jun 25, 2019
abbey621:

Did I dispute that with you? Why can't you also admit that plenty of African tribes also use oral medium? So why do you think it is unique only to Yorubas?

I didn't disagree with you on that neither do I think it is only unique to Yorubas. Just wanted you to know that it remains the only way Yorubas use to trace their origin just to buttress my point that Jabber was right to have agreed he was Yoruba after he was told by his father.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by onyxvincent(m): 7:29pm On Jun 25, 2019
It was a mistake done in his passport while he was about traveling to the US in 2013 to get drafted
martineverest:
Adetokunbo has been greek-cised to ' antetokounmpo' just because of greeek citizenship....na wao
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) by onyxvincent(m): 7:31pm On Jun 25, 2019
He always recognize his Nigerian roots. Watch his MVP speech on youtube
johndoexxx:

Always claiming. Who respect Nigeria? People are shamed of this zoo country, so is Giannais. Have you ever heard him utter Nigeria? SMH

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kelechi Iheanacho Wins Premier League Player of the Month for March / Victor Boniface And Nathan Tella Win Bundesliga With Bayer Leverkusen / Ahmed Musa Leaves Leicester City To Join Saudi Arabia's Al-nassr On A Four-year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.