Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,486 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila (9741 Views)

Appeal Court Makes U-Turn, To Hear Oshiomole's Appeal This Evening / Oshiomhole’s Removal: Court Makes Decision / House Speakership: Tension In APC As 5 Govs Move Against Gbajabiamila (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by Wisdom58(f): 6:34am On Jun 26, 2019
Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja has dismissed a suit filed against the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila.

The plaintiff, Phillip Undie, had filed the suit on May 21, 2019, asking the court to sack Gbajabiamila as a member of the House of Representatives and disqualify him from contesting the leadership of the lower legislative chamber.

Undie had claimed that Gbajabiamila was convicted by the Supreme Court of the State of Georgia in the United States of America in 2007 for fraud and dishonesty and therefore, was not qualified to be elected a member of the National Assembly and a Speaker of the House of Representatives.

On June 14, 2019 Undie’s lawyer, Akeem Olasupo announced his withdrawal from the case, marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/539/2019.

Gbajabiamila’s lawyer, Femi Adedeji, queried Olasupo’s decision to withdraw his appearance without withdrawing the case.

Lawyers to the other defendants did not oppose Olasupo’s withdrawal as plaintiff’s lawyer, but noted that he ought to have withdrawn the case too.

In a ruling on Tuesday, Justice Ekwo granted Olasupo’s request to withdraw from the case, but noted that: “The plaintiff’s counsel withdrew from the case, but he did not withdraw the case, meaning the case is still before this court,” and adjourned till June 17, 2019.

At the resumed hearing of the case, a new lawyer engaged by the plaintiff, S.D Okoro adopted a notice of discontinuance of the suit filed by the plaintiff and prayed the court to strike out the case.

Gbajabiamila’s lawyer, Adedeji did not oppose the plaintiff’s decision to discontinue the case, but argued that, since parties have joined issues, with the defendants filing counter processes, the appropriate order for the court to make was that of dismissal.

Adedeji also urged the court to grant the cost of N1million against the plaintiff.

He also prayed for a cost of N1m to be awarded against the plaintiff.

Ruling, Justice Ekwo said: “On the last day of hearing of this case, Mr. Okoro appeared for the plaintiff, but there were no processes before the court, showing that there was a change of counsel.

“Today (June 24, 2019), I take notice of a process titled ‘change of counsel’ by Mr. Okoro dated June 20, 2019.

“Therefore, I am satisfied that Mr. Okoro has authority to represent the plaintiff in this case and therefore, entitled to conduct the case in accordance with the law. Now, Mr. Okoro has adopted the notice of discontinuance, dated June 17, 2019 and this is happening after issues have been joined in the substantive matter. Mr. Okoro is praying that the matter be struck out.

Read more here https://thickmatch.com/alleged-fraud-court-makes-final-decision-suit-gbajabiamila/

https://thenationonlineng.net/judge-dismisses-suit-filed-against-gbajabiamila/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by nony43(m): 6:51am On Jun 26, 2019
This one will be swept under the carpet

5 Likes

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by kisszhira(m): 6:52am On Jun 26, 2019
Ok.
It's normal,this is Nigeria. It's long overdue sef
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by aolawale025: 6:52am On Jun 26, 2019
Events have over taken the suit
Sad for Nigeria though

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by hightempo(m): 6:55am On Jun 26, 2019
K
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by Onyi4live(m): 6:55am On Jun 26, 2019
You people should leave our speaker alone already

3 Likes

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by pfadom: 6:55am On Jun 26, 2019
Useless people only interested in heating up the polity. Hopeless confusionist.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by Muyiwaipere(m): 6:55am On Jun 26, 2019
Okay
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 26, 2019
Am sure the Americans would be looking at Nigerians with so much disgust..

If rogues and democracy thieves are Speaker and DSP respectively, it goes to show this is not the right country for the upright and integrity personified few.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by nairalee(m): 6:56am On Jun 26, 2019
Hey Magomago Don enter o. Nigerians are truly fantastically corrupt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by olmyde(m): 6:57am On Jun 26, 2019
Some people just file suit, just because they have money and waste time of court and get headline news coverage. The plaintiff should be sent to prison for hate grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by jayson87: 6:57am On Jun 26, 2019
Fraudsters are taking the helm of leadershi! Nigeria and Nigerians wake-up.
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by hisgrace090: 6:58am On Jun 26, 2019
Is he saying that Mr gbaja's hand is now clean or afread of the system?
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by McAustin92(m): 6:58am On Jun 26, 2019
Being a Nigerian had been my worst nightmare ever,I can't afford my offspring to pass through this same shit ,glorified fraudsters and thieves parading em selves as politicians walking freely,still dem are disturbing boyz trying to make a living for street

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:59am On Jun 26, 2019
We will be waiting patiently....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by ikombe: 7:00am On Jun 26, 2019
grin

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:01am On Jun 26, 2019
It is well.
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by hannysur8(m): 7:06am On Jun 26, 2019
Gbada for Governor 2023
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by Sofistcatdmoron: 7:08am On Jun 26, 2019
Some people are jealous of his remarkable achievements most likely the people that thinks they own Nigeria and every sector of our economy

2 Likes

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by israelmao(m): 7:10am On Jun 26, 2019
Story for another
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by maestroferddi: 7:13am On Jun 26, 2019
Predictable....

After four years, maybe I will start taking Nigerian judiciary seriously again.
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by 88natzy(m): 7:13am On Jun 26, 2019
Boy boy
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by LordTrezy(m): 7:14am On Jun 26, 2019
McAustin92:
Being a Nigerian had been my worst nightmare ever,I can't afford my offspring to pass through this same shit ,glorified fraudsters and thieves parading em selves as politicians walking freely,still dem are disturbing boyz trying to make a living for street
Frustrated soul... go and raise your kids in Cameroon or Burundi.

4 Likes

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by IamPatriotic(m): 7:17am On Jun 26, 2019
nony43:
This one will be swept under the carpet

Next time, read before you comment, in order to safe your some embarrassment

3 Likes

Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by tstx(m): 7:17am On Jun 26, 2019
Following

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature (09011639568) no advance payment
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by dazojay(m): 7:22am On Jun 26, 2019
Good morning
Re: Alleged Fraud: Court Makes Final Decision On Suit Against Gbajabiamila by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:22am On Jun 26, 2019
grin

Are all politians not thieves? Where was INEC when Honourable became dishonorable in the US. Well na naija we dey any nonsense goes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am A Victim Of June 12 -IBB Says In Exclusive Interview / FG to establish agency for artificial intelligence, robotics – Onu / Buhari: Nigerians Can Look After Themselves When Infrastructure Is In Place

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.