Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition (11879 Views)

Governors Tackle Akpabio, Deny Receiving FG N1 Trillion Lifeline / Abba Kyari, The Police Chief Who Started The #EndSARS Fire / Ibikunle Amosun Surrenders 1000 AK47 Rifles, 4000 Bullets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by superstar1(m): 7:13am On Jun 26, 2019
Ogun State Police Commissioner (CP) Basir Makama on Tuesday evening denied receiving 1,000 AK47 rifles and four million ammunition from former Governor Ibikunle Amosun.

Makama explained that physical counting of the ammunition showed there were “one million, four hundred thousand and some fractions,” a variation from the four million Amosun had told him while he was being disarmed.

He also explained that checks into police records revealed that the said weapons were handed over to the force in 2012, insisting that he didn’t see any weapon during the disarming process.

Online news site Premium Times had reported that the former Governor returned to the Police Commissioner four million bullets, 1,000 AK47 rifles, 1,000 bulletproof vests and one armoured personnel carrier (APC) he allegedly stockpiled at the Oke Mosan Government House for an extended period of time.

According to the report, Amosun had allegedly confessed to CP Makama on the presence of the firearms and ammunition on May 28, a day before he handed over power to his successor Dapo Abiodun.

The story generated massive outcry with social media users demanding the immediate arrest and prosecution of Amosun, now a Senator representing Ogun Central district at the National Assembly.

Reacting to the story, CP Makama told The Nation that he had a duty to disarm the governor at the end of his tenure which he executed.

He said: “I did not see any weapon. All he gave to the police the day he was disarmed are ammunition, ballistic helmet and body armour. I am new in the state, this is somebody who has been governor for eight years.

“I came in and one day when he was about going, he said CP, I have some materials I want to handover to you. Even if he didn’t buy them for the police or didn’t hand them over, I have a responsibility to disarm him and that was what I did.

“The ammunition was not up to four million as alleged. The former Governor said four million but when we counted, we found out it was one million, four hundred and a little fraction.

“I found out the 1,000 AK47 rifles were bought for them (police) in 2012. He had given them in 2012.

That is the record I have.”

Findings by our Correspondent revealed that was the practice by state governments who have expended resources in empowering the police.

It was gathered that an approval was granted from the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) to allow states expanding their resources to empower the police have standard armoury at the Government House.

By this practice, the state, it was gathered will then supervise the use of the gadgets acquired with their resources to prevent same from being moved to other parts of the country following orders from the Inspector General of Police (IG) to CPs.

“It is not like the governor was keeping these weapons and ammunition for himself. What happened is that because of the lack of capacity and equipment the police had suffered in the past, those state governors that boost the police capability were allowed to have standard armoury in their government houses.

“This was done to ensure that the state benefits from the gadgets it expended money on. The truth is that if those weapons are left under the police armoury, the IG can call at anytime to request deployment to another area and no CP will disobey that order,” said a very senior policeman who cannot be named.

www.thenationonlineng.net/amosun-ogun-police-chief-deny-receiving-rifles-four-million-ammunition/
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by superstar1(m): 7:17am On Jun 26, 2019
What do Nigeria media gain from twisting stories?

The guy bought and gave Police the 1000AK47s in 2012 and a news media reported it as if it happened last week and the whole nation flared up.

NUJ and Guild of Editors need to wake up to the abysmal level of low IQ personnel.in their profession, unprofessional deliberate spread of falsehood by their staff and the perpetual ridiculing of this one noble profession.

Gone are the days of the likes of Dele Giwa, Concord, Tell, Tempo, The News --- those were journalists and not this brown envelope induced and partisan and hungry journalists!!!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by helinues: 8:03am On Jun 26, 2019
I intentionally ignored the news days ago..

Some bloggers wont make International air space not to talk of heaven

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by tstx(m): 8:03am On Jun 26, 2019
No surprise here

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature (09011639568) no advance payment
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Senatorlatido: 8:04am On Jun 26, 2019
I never trust both

1 Like

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by oluwasegun007(m): 8:04am On Jun 26, 2019
Even if its one million nko....

Do you know how much that is?

This entity no safe again.

1 Like

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by youghs: 8:04am On Jun 26, 2019
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by kiyosaki1(m): 8:05am On Jun 26, 2019
I suspects the bullion van fans .

1 Like

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by anyimontana(m): 8:05am On Jun 26, 2019
Lol
Ask AIG,maybe na him receive am.
But naija media can twist news sha..

5 Likes

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by kiyosaki1(m): 8:06am On Jun 26, 2019
superstar1:

The guy bought and gave Police the 1000AK47s in 2012 and a news media reported it as if it happened last week and the whole nation flared up.

NUJ and Guild of Editors need to wake up to the abysmal level of low IQ personnel.in their professional, unprofessional deliberate spread of falsehood by their staff and the perpetual ridiculing of this one noble profession.

Gone are the days of the likes of Dele Giwa, Concord, Tell, Tempo, The News --- those were journalists and not this brown envelope induced and partisan and hungry journalists!!!
Brown envelope

1 Like

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by youghs: 8:07am On Jun 26, 2019
superstar1:

NUJ and Guild of Editors need to wake up to the abysmal level of low IQ personnel.in their professional, unprofessional deliberate spread of falsehood by their staff and the perpetual ridiculing of this one noble profession.

Only God can save this country..This news guys would have stopped all dis if the people themselves are not this gullible
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Johnkay01: 8:07am On Jun 26, 2019
Okay

Why should I believe police or Journalist when I know that they have penchant for lying?

3 Likes

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Pavore9: 8:07am On Jun 26, 2019
Imagining how State Police will play out in our present set up!
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by omoadeleye(m): 8:08am On Jun 26, 2019
We know
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by SarkinYarki: 8:08am On Jun 26, 2019
The way Zombies try to to twist every news ehhh
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by AmazingELixir: 8:10am On Jun 26, 2019
shocked shocked shocked

Does it mean the news from premium times is fake or police doing what they are known for lying...

Even at that the discrepancy on the number of munitions still needs to be explained from the 4 million declared by the ex governor and the inventory stock of 1 million by the police, the difference is substantial enough to warrant an inquest.

4 Likes

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by nairalee(m): 8:11am On Jun 26, 2019
Everyday allegations and tomorrow denial
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 26, 2019
Nigeria Media are the reason why the whole world are using corruptible eye to view us
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by dancewith: 8:11am On Jun 26, 2019
The Nation newspaper giving APC version of the story to water down the outcry

3 Likes

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 26, 2019
So this is the true story

dancewith:
The Nation newspaper giving APC version of the story to water down the outcry

Everything is not conspiracy theory bro
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by agabusta: 8:12am On Jun 26, 2019
undecided
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by agabusta: 8:13am On Jun 26, 2019
AmazingELixir:
shocked shocked shocked

Does it mean the news from premium times is fake or police doing what they are known for lying...
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Chukwurah003: 8:15am On Jun 26, 2019
PDP bloggers again. Hmmm

3 Likes

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Naija4love(m): 8:16am On Jun 26, 2019
oluwasegun007:
Even if its one million nko....

Do you know how much that is?

This entity no safe again.
this boy just commute from bed
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by WisdomFlakes: 8:16am On Jun 26, 2019
Then where did Premium Times get their news report from?

2 Likes

Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by LibertyRep: 8:16am On Jun 26, 2019
Now we are getting it twisted.

Can the players in the whole brouhaha just come out plain once and for all.
Re: Amosun: Ogun Police Chief Deny Receiving Rifles, Four Million Ammunition by Naija4love(m): 8:16am On Jun 26, 2019
Nigeria news sometimes can make you kill yourself before death come.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC: We Won't Give Preferential Treatment To Any Aspirant In Edo / Buhari Returns From AU Summit, Sets For APC Campaign Grand Finale / Ben Bruce Questions Why Pilgrims Get Forex At Special Rates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.